Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ask your non-gamer friends or spouses to arrange the following in order of least to most difficult

Exotic Mission
Campaign
Strike
Nightfall
Raid
Dungeon
Battleground
Wellspring
Dares of Eternity
Nightmare Hunt
Empire Hunt

I'm not gonna fault somebody for launching the Wrong Activity after finishing the 20 minute 'welcome to destiny' onramp

I'll do you one better.
Ask them to guess the difference between a Legend activity, and a Legendary activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Here at bungie we care about mental health!

Please don't bring up how we treat our contracted writers or the toxic environment at HQ. Here's 75 bright dust for you to forget about all that. We'll mail you a raid jacket in 4 years, maybe.

Necrobama posted:

|
|
|
|
Due to unexpected delays, server downtime has been extended to 8PM PST

We're seeing increasing reports of "amoeba" error codes. We ask that all guardians throw money at the screen and not log in. Downtime extended to the blurpth of febtucky.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reddit spreadsheets teach you how to get the last 10% efficacy out of your character once you have access to the complete build toolkit. They don't really do anything for brand new players who can't farm exotics or high stat armor or red border weapons yet

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually like that the seasons get quiet near the end. Yeah there's Guardian Games and I'll enjoy some of that, but by and large I don't want to play *just* Destiny 2. Seasonal gaps are actually good. Play something else, or go touch grass, see friends etc.

Funnily enough I have almost hit the pinnacle cap this season. I have never before actually done that, and it's funny that next season it isn't going up. I'm keen to try out the new Strand Scout in the games, I gave up trying to get the IB shader because my brain just fizzled off PvP.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

Reddit spreadsheets teach you how to get the last 10% efficacy out of your character once you have access to the complete build toolkit. They don't really do anything for brand new players who can't farm exotics or high stat armor or red border weapons yet

They actually introduce the concept of needing to have a build, and will nonstop strongly suggest that you have a build of some sort.
Ingame, you will be told none of this poo poo, nor will you be stopped from doing whatever, outside of a hard light check on certain activities.

Onboarding is poo poo and should've been tightened up years ago, there's no excuse.
Laughing at the very new player trying to solo Duality without knowing any better, makes 0 sense when you take these things into account.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

I actually like that the seasons get quiet near the end. Yeah there's Guardian Games and I'll enjoy some of that, but by and large I don't want to play *just* Destiny 2. Seasonal gaps are actually good. Play something else, or go touch grass, see friends etc.

Y'know that's very fair.

Part of my problem is that I'm waiting for the Guardian Games just because I haven't had the time to really lean into things and Engage With The Content, and I know a lot of people are going to be picking up the game again for the event, so most everyone I know just hasn't been interested since there's an event, why not just wait to play during the event.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Which is also fair as hell. I played the hell outta this season, and I'm not burned out but I do just want to play some other things I have been neglecting haha.

A weird side effect of how the system works is I naturally want to gravitate towards whatever is double XP for the week, which is fine, changes it up. But I'm kind of sick of it being Crucible, IB or Trials. I know it's likely bias but I feel like we got maybe two weeks of double Vanguard/Nightfall XP/rewards? I get they want to encourage people to play IB and Trials, but it really felt like this season that was the big, big focus. And it was cool, exccept I burn out on PvP pretty quickly.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I wish they’d go back to putting double Crucible rep during Iron Banner weeks, I think both the past couple seasons have been Vanguard during IB

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Funnily enough I have almost hit the pinnacle cap this season. I have never before actually done that, and it's funny that next season it isn't going up. I'm keen to try out the new Strand Scout in the games, I gave up trying to get the IB shader because my brain just fizzled off PvP.

That’s where I’m at as well. I can get into other games with the lull, like Breath of the Wild, and come back for the occasional lfg raid. But I’ll be back for Guardian Games to at least get the seasonal glaive ornaments

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

syntaxfunction posted:

Which is also fair as hell. I played the hell outta this season, and I'm not burned out but I do just want to play some other things I have been neglecting haha.

A weird side effect of how the system works is I naturally want to gravitate towards whatever is double XP for the week, which is fine, changes it up. But I'm kind of sick of it being Crucible, IB or Trials. I know it's likely bias but I feel like we got maybe two weeks of double Vanguard/Nightfall XP/rewards? I get they want to encourage people to play IB and Trials, but it really felt like this season that was the big, big focus. And it was cool, exccept I burn out on PvP pretty quickly.

I think we got one each of double vanguard xp (this last week) and nightfall rewards, and 3 weeks of double crucible xp.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I really wish deleting golf balls and piss crystals would delete the entire stack at once

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Stravag posted:

I really wish deleting golf balls and piss crystals would delete the entire stack at once

I wish they were tradable

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

PathAsc posted:

I wish they were tradable

Being able to trade anything in this game would be a Bad Idea. It's basically the antithesis of what the game is built around.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

They have me for TFS but if it’s not a significant improvement over Lightfall I think I’m out after that.

Super weird radio silence on their post-TFS plans, if you ask me...

RE: take a break from Destiny

The content cycle definitely supports taking big breaks from the game, often, but I feel like the gameplay itself sort of.. punishes it? That's too harsh a word, but it feels like a treadmill designed to keep me on under threat of how hard it will be to get back on!

Like Guardian Games is coming up and I couldn't give less of a toot because I didn't play enough this or last season to earn any bright dust, so it's just a few weeks of window shopping for the 'event'

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 2, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t think it’s weird they aren’t saying anything about content 1.75 years in the future

But yeah, D2 is very much an in-or-out game. If you try to play it casually you will just become painfully aware of what you’re not earning. If you take an extended break or quit cold you will wallow in blissful ignorance while the FOMO passes over and through you and you turn the inner eye to see its path

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
See I disagree, I don't think you lose anything except season pass ornaments playing casually. (Almost) All the seasonal weapons are in the game, same with seasonal armour, exotic missions are returning, etc etc.

Except season pass ornaments and the seasonal activity there's nothing you actually lose out on if you skip an entire season or several. Especially with the seasonal guns being at Banshee and next season introducing red frame inducing.

And with next season not even raising the light level (and looking like they'll remove it entirely) skipping a season really won't be impacting getting back in, given every expansion resets everyone anyway.

Basically, and weirdly, the game feels like it has a tonne of stuff you can miss out on. But there's actually basically nothing. Which is wild. You can put it down and pick it up next year and, besides ornaments, get everything you missed out on.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

syntaxfunction posted:

Being able to trade anything in this game would be a Bad Idea. It's basically the antithesis of what the game is built around.

Yes, the game built around fomo and lovely crafting and upgrades is against trading, I agree. It's loving stupid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

PathAsc posted:

Yes, the game built around fomo and lovely crafting and upgrades is against trading, I agree. It's loving stupid.

What FOMO? I've said this before but besides pass ornaments what can you actually miss out on?

And trading things in this game is very much dumb from a gameplay perspective. Why not just pay someone from those lovely services to grind out poo poo for you? It's the same effect.

There's a lot that needs improving in the game but "let someone else do the work for me" doesn't fix that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hopefully easing off on the power level grind, especially pinnacles, will allow for a more relaxed rest of the year.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Super weird radio silence on their post-TFS plans, if you ask me...

I fully expect to hear more about that as TFS approaches. We'll see in June/July when they announce it at the Sony thing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Having used them a lot lately, I find it genuinely loving annoying that Glaives can't Shoot then Melee anywhere near as fast as a Shotgun can, and given the Shotgun combo is more lethal at longer range with a lower TTK, I want to know why.

(Yes, the Glaive can two tap at range, but anyone you two tap at range is a loving idiot you could have easily weapon switched on with the Shotgun, too.)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
As someone who just started this game a few months ago just the amount of stupid nouns is exasperating, coupled with the terrible interface it adds up to a staggering level of obfuscation. Strikes, Battlegrounds, Nightfalls, Weekly Heroics, Vanguard Ops, etc. etc. Not sure if it's more accidental (coming out of the lore) or deliberate as some kind of driving force for community engagement.

e: Is there any ETA on the Battleye/Stack Protection issue? I feel bad disabling security features, but I'm close to finishing the season pass :D

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pirate Jet posted:

Hoping for the latter while expecting the former, I guess. I know Bungie has a lot of original IPs under development right now and they have Sonybux now but it seems incredibly stupid to be giving up on Destiny while it’s still a most-popular game on every platform it’s on and every expansion outsells the last one. They have me for TFS but if it’s not a significant improvement over Lightfall I think I’m out after that.

Giving up on destiny at this point is the smartest way thing they can do it if they wish to move development focus to other games. Destiny fans will eat it all up, no question. So why not put minimal effort into it? Then by the time Bungie has lost all good will over Destiny, their new game is out and they can let Destiny slide right into obscurity. Gamers, like voters, have memories goldfish put to shame and will immediately hand money over to Bungie's new thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kind of just waiting for the next Marathon. I played so much Destiny 2 over the past few years because I was invested in the narrative. Buildup, payoff, all that. Lightfall faceplanted so hard it retroactively made things worse. I have no faith the story team will draw the light / dark "saga" (their word not mine) to a good closure after this complete garbage tier filler year start.

It's fine. I'm not remotely upset or anything. I'm just not emotionally invested in the story currently and will do other things with my time until such time as a new IP comes along or whatever. Goodness knows my steam back catalogue from sales is calling.

edit - I want Durandal back.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 2, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It seems like Destiny players have their own seasonal depression lol

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DancingShade posted:

I'm kind of just waiting for the next Marathon. I played so much Destiny 2 over the past few years because I was invested in the narrative. Buildup, payoff, all that. Lightfall faceplanted so hard it retroactively made things worse. I have no faith the story team will draw the light / dark "saga" (their word not mine) to a good closure after this complete garbage tier filler year start.

There's no writing team on the planet who could end the story satisfactorily. The best people in the world could only hope for an inoffensive and disappointing ending. Like, what do you do? Do you do a trite treatise on the importance of balance? Do you kill the witness by shooting him with guns, dunking orbs, and standing on plates? Do the witness and traveler kill each other, take each other out of their game, it something? None of these are good, and they're the only options.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Panderfringe posted:

There's no writing team on the planet who could end the story satisfactorily. The best people in the world could only hope for an inoffensive and disappointing ending. Like, what do you do? Do you do a trite treatise on the importance of balance? Do you kill the witness by shooting him with guns, dunking orbs, and standing on plates? Do the witness and traveler kill each other, take each other out of their game, it something? None of these are good, and they're the only options.

Well the story as it stands is pretty incoherant already.

I say have our guardian appear in an ending cutscene wearing a crumpled office suit, waking up on a filthy bathroom floor surrounded by hookers and blow. They stagger out the door. Fade to black.

It was all a dream.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

Nah, I got this.

At the end of The Final Shale campaign you stop the Witness from creating the final shape. Looking pained they ask you, "what have you done?" And then a slow fade to white. You're back at the tower.

Through the next four seasons of that year stranger things keep happening. Zavala is replaced by the Witness, who acts like Zavala, giving missions and bounties and so on. Banshee is replaced by Clovis Bray. Eva is ADA. Models remain the same, but the voice actors have been swapped. Colours are changing. Textures swapped.

Everything starts degrading. Everyone is panicking. Throughout this you go on adventures to figure out the gently caress. Turns out the final shape is also an intended output for the universe. By not allowing it to be created you've forced the universe into attempting whatever it can to produce *some kind* of valid output. So it's doing things randomly. Changing variables and factors. And it's not going well.

The only solution is to provide a solution, an output. A final shape. You and ghost share a knowing look. The final season is the Guardian slowly subsuming and eliminating everything to become the final shape, to complete the universe before it degrades far worse and becomes an irreparable limbo of terror and pain. For the good of everyone else. You can be their salvation.

And the final mission, when it is only you and ghost, ghost tells you it is the final shape, not shapes. And then you die.

Not really but it'd be a great gently caress you tho lol

Edit: post credits, black screen, audio of the Gardener and Winnower talking about how they hosed up not adding secondary win conditions. "Try again?" "Yeah gently caress it, go again, but let's add some backups."

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 2, 2023

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Paracelsus posted:

Hopefully easing off on the power level grind, especially pinnacles, will allow for a more relaxed rest of the year.

Yes. I definitely put in enough hours to be qualified as a "hardcore" player, and find the pinnie grind to be both dog and bullshit, namely due to the random nature of slots that receive drops. Doing anything to fix that, or perhaps just having everything tied to seasonal level would be so much better; I'll still likely be playing just as much, but in activities that I actually want to be in versus those I "need" to be in for pinnacle purposes.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
In other news, I now have every exotic in the game. The changes to Vex Incursions led to me getting armor pieces that I had no real interest in (great change, by the way!), so I figured it was time to finally buy Truth.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PathAsc posted:

I dont think fomo and trading are inherently incompatible, they just combine to form an even worse creation: markets.

besides, if destiny were to have any form of trading, it'd probably be something like Diablo, where you can trade drops with present party members for a duration after they drop. That honestly might not be the worst (it'd be nice to give dupe raid exotics to that person who still hasn't gotten theirs) but I feel like LFG could still do bad poo poo/be very annoying with that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

Giving up on destiny at this point is the smartest way thing they can do it if they wish to move development focus to other games. Destiny fans will eat it all up, no question. So why not put minimal effort into it? Then by the time Bungie has lost all good will over Destiny, their new game is out and they can let Destiny slide right into obscurity. Gamers, like voters, have memories goldfish put to shame and will immediately hand money over to Bungie's new thing.

Can you please go post in a thread for a game you actually play?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Panderfringe posted:

Do you kill the witness by shooting him with guns, dunking orbs, and standing on plates?

This is how all the other universe-ending existential threats were killed, why are you expecting something different here

Oxyclean posted:

I dont think fomo and trading are inherently incompatible, they just combine to form an even worse creation: markets.

Yeah, it's this. Markets and an incentive for account takeovers

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
bah gawd it’s warlocks with a steel chair!

https://twitter.com/destinythegame/status/1653414215007318016?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not a steel chair that's just an ordinary chair

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

haveblue posted:

That's not a steel chair that's just an ordinary chair

it's no ordinary chair...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reminder that "The light and darkness saga" does not mean Destiny Thus Far or even Destiny 2 Thus Far

Bungie considers the L&DS to be a 4 year story from Shadowkeep to Final Shape

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

haveblue posted:

This is how all the other universe-ending existential threats were killed, why are you expecting something different here

Yeah it's just a reason why it would be a disappointing end

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Light and Dark Saga will end with us throwing an orb at the Witness and it hits him in the nuts and he falls over like hans moleman

paracausality is stored in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

Basically, and weirdly, the game feels like it has a tonne of stuff you can miss out on. But there's actually basically nothing. Which is wild. You can put it down and pick it up next year and, besides ornaments, get everything you missed out on.

100% this. The game has a good balance between being this living world where meaningful things happen, but also letting everybody get the stuff and do the activities*. They’ve been committed for a while now to this ongoing world concept so some of the fomo talk comes off weird. It’s like talking about real-life events being fomo, like saying, “It’s stupid that this March Madness event only happens in March, the tournament is built on fomo.”

*I get why people are mad about vaulting planets because the living world was an excuse in that case. A cool excuse imo with good story but definitely an excuse.