Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MokBa posted:

I just don’t want to start the game and then start it all over in a week and a half, ya know? But i also don’t like to game at my desk. A friend of mine has been playing it all day today though and won’t stop gushing, so at least I’m getting excited for it!

Oh yeah I gotcha. I've been remoting from my PC with moonlight on my steam deck. I hate playing at the computer too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Interrupting the leaked game chat but,
I've been playing all the Zelda games on Switch Online in anticipation of TotK (so far did OoT, Majora, Minish cap all for the first time) and just finished Zelda 1. I enjoyed it more than I expected and think it's kind of a shame that it took them 30 years to make a similarly structured game (BotW), and every game in-between was based on the more linear and guided progression of Link to the Past. Of course all the Zelda games are good but the world felt a lot more mysterious than the newer pre-BotW games, with being able to find and enter the dungeons in any order and having almost no guidance. I guess Link Between Worlds was close but even that one was still pretty tied to the dungeon item-based structure where you couldn't even enter a dungeon without going to Ravio's shop and renting its item. I thought it was cool by contrast that in Zelda 1 you could sometimes go through a whole dungeon and beat the boss without finding the dungeon item and would end up revisiting it to search for secret rooms and bomb some wall to find the item etc. Even then it was usually not something mandatory for progression but just nice to have. I beat Ganon without ever finding the red ring and looked it up afterwards. I generally liked the dungeon structure where you would have to try to figure out where to bomb walls to uncover new rooms, even though it could sometimes devolve into trial and error (not as much as the overworld secrets though) and probably only worked due to the game's limited implementation where the bombable spot is always in the same place on the wall.
Idk in general even though it's such an old game it felt a little refreshing compared to the very rote structure of every game in between this one and BotW. But it kind of makes me wonder what the games in the intervening era would have looked like if they followed the example of Zelda NES rather than LttP.
Will replay LttP next if I have time before TotK, but even though I remember a bit and know it established the linear item-gated progression of the later games, hoping it's still a bit more of a transitional game between NES and the later era structure wise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
LttP has some sequence breaks I think that function as a bit of choose your own adventure wiggle room. It's still one of the most Zelday Zeldas made, I could think of things to fuss about but not enough to write about. Fantastic music and atmosphere. Beautiful art.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khanstant posted:

LttP has some sequence breaks I think that function as a bit of choose your own adventure wiggle room. It's still one of the most Zelday Zeldas made, I could think of things to fuss about but not enough to write about. Fantastic music and atmosphere. Beautiful art.

I remember it's real easy to wander around doing whatever once you get the hammer. Not even glitchy stuff, you can go to crystal 4 once you get the hammer and it's almost free range of the dark world at that point.

If you wanna glitch you can beat the game just going to the intro dungeon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Barreft posted:

Exactly. I got to experience it today playing in beautiful 4k30fps. Now it's not 4k60fps yet so I agree my enjoyment wasn't as good as the full experience. But give it a week at most for the 60fps mod

In what? When I tried earlier Yuzu didn't work and Ryujinx was only getting 20fps. So I just played on the actual Switch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually no this post was a terrible idea.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 2, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

In what? When I tried earlier Yuzu didn't work and Ryujinx was only getting 20fps. So I just played on the actual Switch.

I read that if you're getting 20 fps you should update your nvidia drivers and restart your computer

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's a 60fps mod out already

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Infinitum posted:

There's a 60fps mod out already

I've still got to finish up MMBN3 and then tackle 4-6 which I doubt is going to happen in just 12 days, but if it does... gently caress I might be tempted.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I never understood the attribution of linear-ness to link to the past. Like, I see how technically the game structure is mirrored/copied in Ocarina, but lttp feels very different from the linear/pre-breath 3d zelda. It’s not quite as open as the first game but it’s much closer to that than ocarina/ww/tp

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

RatHat posted:

Wait does this mean your BotW save is imported? I wonder if it affects anything else

Kinda the start defaults you to all hearts and stamina but i dont think its all equipment at that point, you lose everything 5 mins later anyway, however your horses from botw that you kept in a stable before starting totk get imported over

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Please keep spoilers of any kind out of this thread and in the containment thread. Cheers!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Got the spinner in Twilight Princess. This thing is cool

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m playing BotW for the first time tonight and dang, this game really is just Zelda themed Skyrim plus Portal?

I like it a lot but I guess I didn’t believe the influence was THAT strong

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I only played BotW for the first time recently too but I don't quite see a close resemblance beyond 'fantasy game' I guess. On the other hand I finally uninstalled Skyrim a few months ago and haven't played it in ages so maybe I just don't remember.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Skyrim offers more content/quests/character customization, BotW is better in nearly every other aspect.

I thought I'd be fine waiting 10 more days for TotK but knowing the pirates are already enjoying it while I wait for my copy plus these spoilers everywhere make the wait so much worse.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HopperUK posted:

I only played BotW for the first time recently too but I don't quite see a close resemblance beyond 'fantasy game' I guess. On the other hand I finally uninstalled Skyrim a few months ago and haven't played it in ages so maybe I just don't remember.

That was a joke

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It’s not a joke, I think it really does feel much closer to those games than I expected. It’s still very good, probably better than Skyrim (but not Portal, Portal 2 especially)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Can I play as Todd in Zelda?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Got the spinner in Twilight Princess. This thing is cool

Man, that item feels great to use.

Skyward Sword - I'm more mad at shield durability than I ever was at weapon durability in botw :argh:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Skyrim and BotW are both open-world games where you can tell the main quest to piss off after leaving the tutorial, but that's about where the similarities end.

I guess the connection to Portal would just be shrines as test chambers but that seems like a stretch?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I know people joke but Skyrim was probably the first exposure to an "open world" for a lot of people outside of like GTA, which is a little different. It definitely broke the "normie appeal" barrier in a way that Fallout or Oblivion or whatever didn't.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
person who has only played skyrim, playing their second game: getting a lot of 'skyrim' vibes from this...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What are ideas for vehicles you want to make?

One I think I’m going to make is a little cart that just rolls an active flamethrower into enemy camps.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna try to fuse meat into everything and see what happens

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Me on my first day at culinary school

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm gonna try to fuse meat keese eyes into everything and see what happens

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DalaranJ posted:

What are ideas for vehicles you want to make?

One I think I’m going to make is a little cart that just rolls an active flamethrower into enemy camps.

In one of the preview videos from last week a streamer tries something like this! The cart went faster than the flames from the flamethrower and the vehicle set itself on fire

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Not sure if this info is anywhere, but when can we expect the TotK pro controllers to be available? nintendo.com still says May 2023 and the online retailer search says out of stock everywhere.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

poemdexter posted:

Not sure if this info is anywhere, but when can we expect the TotK pro controllers to be available? nintendo.com still says May 2023 and the online retailer search says out of stock everywhere.

It launches with the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spanish Manlove posted:

the true experience imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The downside to meat is that it always feels weird to make Link kill wild animals just for a couple steakums or hot wings. Meat and Arrows were my big money sinks, if a vendor had either I'm buying em out.

My Hyrule and Horse for some kind of infinite magic arrows.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Khanstant posted:

The downside to meat is that it always feels weird to make Link kill wild animals just for a couple steakums or hot wings. Meat and Arrows were my big money sinks, if a vendor had either I'm buying em out.

My Hyrule and Horse for some kind of infinite magic arrows.

Honestly the amiibo collection I already had (and continued to add to) helped with both of these a lot, so probably kinda functioning as intended.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Kaysette posted:

person who has only played skyrim, playing their second game: getting a lot of 'skyrim' vibes from this...

That feeling when you learn that your internet friends haven't played Bubsy 3d

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Golux posted:

Honestly the amiibo collection I already had (and continued to add to) helped with both of these a lot, so probably kinda functioning as intended.

I fell off of using my Zelda amiibos after getting all the extra gear. At a certain point it's like spending 30 minutes prepping to play a video game and it just kind of feels pointless unless you are absolutely desperate for extra stuff.

The Guardian amiibo was the exception, because it was almost always ancient materials.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

RVWinkle posted:

That feeling when you learn that your internet friends haven't played Bubsy 3d

If a game is giving you Bubsy 3D vibes, please consult a doctor and/or lawyer

pentyne posted:

I fell off of using my Zelda amiibos after getting all the extra gear. At a certain point it's like spending 30 minutes prepping to play a video game and it just kind of feels pointless unless you are absolutely desperate for extra stuff.

The Guardian amiibo was the exception, because it was almost always ancient materials.

Yeah you don't need to use them daily but if you're running low on something it can be a good way to get some more without much risk/effort/resource consumption. Plus it stops you having to run to every town to restock a decent number of arrows (sorry beedle but your convenience tax is a little high for me).

The Golux fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 2, 2023

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

I never understood the attribution of linear-ness to link to the past. Like, I see how technically the game structure is mirrored/copied in Ocarina, but lttp feels very different from the linear/pre-breath 3d zelda. It’s not quite as open as the first game but it’s much closer to that than ocarina/ww/tp

I think just because it established the conventions of the rest of the series, arguably even more than than the 1st game did.
I suppose in that case, Link's Awakening is the first really super linear one, still one of my favorites though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Golux posted:

I'm curious if the BoTW amiibos will give the same items more or less (minus the special outfits and weapons I assume) in ToTK. Since ancient items seem non existent in the new game as far as I can tell from trailers, I wonder what the Guardian Amiibo will give.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm curious if the BoTW amiibos will give the same items more or less (minus the special outfits and weapons I assume) in ToTK. Since ancient items seem non existent in the new game as far as I can tell from trailers, I wonder what the Guardian Amiibo will give.

Just saw a post of someone who tried them all.

Seems like for the most part same stuff. They got van rudoh helm and whatnot, plus some new gliders with different skins. I guess they didn't mention guardian amiibo specifically dropping the new mats or not, but I'd guess so. Unfortunately Worf link just gives meat, no wolfing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Khanstant posted:

Just saw a post of someone who tried them all.

Seems like for the most part same stuff. They got van rudoh helm and whatnot, plus some new gliders with different skins. I guess they didn't mention guardian amiibo specifically dropping the new mats or not, but I'd guess so. Unfortunately Worf link just gives meat, no wolfing around.

:negative: