Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh no. Steam is lying to me then. I thought it released in 1 hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think I'm gonna do Chaos/Nature rats with a focus on animal summoning. Still not totally sold on which culture, though maybe Dark???

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zore posted:

I think I'm gonna do Chaos/Nature rats with a focus on animal summoning. Still not totally sold on which culture, though maybe Dark???

There's a decent synergy between cavalry play and animal summoning, and the tome of the horde plays into this synergy since scouts get buffed by both sides of it. Dark has cavalry scouts, and has tier 3 cav, so dark is a pretty solid culture for this combo, as well. You'd also benefit a lot from a faction mount.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

All in baby~~

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Building Better Dwarves!

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You will probably find streams of this coming out before launch, since someone hosed up at Microsoft and released it early on their store.
And the usual :filez: copies flowing around now because of it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

My planned imperialist high elves, leader named after an old DnD character of mine with a juvenile joke name. Gonna have him be more of a fighter, tome of evocation for some of the units and such that one seems to bring and generally fitting with DnD elves being magical.

e: I might also just play some type of Frostlings, because those were, together with orcs, my favorite race to play in the original game.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 2, 2023

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
It looks like Arctic Adaptation plus the Tier III Tome of the Cold Dark can turn any Culture into Frostlings. Plus the tier I tome of Cryomancy optionally.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Thyrork posted:

Alright so what's your plans (no need for details if you don't wanna, concepts are good too) for your first non-prefab race?

Going to remake my favourite Necromancer from 3, a human wizard lord of death and flame. Not sure who she'll lead this time!

General concepts:
Earth/Druid Molekin
Arcane Goblins
Firstborn Dwarves (magmadworf, depends on what's in tomes)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm going to make several dozen variants of rats.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Servetus posted:

It looks like Arctic Adaptation plus the Tier III Tome of the Cold Dark can turn any Culture into Frostlings. Plus the tier I tome of Cryomancy optionally.

Yeah, but I was thinking kind of apart from that as well, like trying to recreate somewhat the Frostlings race from Age of Wonders 1. I'd use either humans or goblins, give them blueish-white/grey skin, arctic adaptation and possibly wolf mounts (they rode wolvesi n age of wonders 1, but it was only a couple of units, so could just go for the wolf mount aesthetically). Take either barbarian or dark culture, barbarian culture would probably be closer aesthetically, though the jaggedness and spikes of the dark culture could look good for an ice theme, especially if you can make the armor color be like white or bright blue.

e: I think there is a pre-set Frostlings faction in the game though, led by some witch lady. So if I want to play Frostlings I might just play them.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As long as you can cover the world with ice and cute cuddly penguins. :3:

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I will start with standard high culture elves that dabbles in pyromancy and gets corrupted by demons as the game progresses.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Either i'm going to play some goblin barbarians led by an elf wizard king or i'm going nature + order + high society frogs. maybe with some warg mounts.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ojetor posted:

:eyepop:

Amazing. How'd you get the data? Are you an actual wizard king?

I wrote some exporters for her that dump data out of the game that can be read by the web app in the site!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, but I was thinking kind of apart from that as well, like trying to recreate somewhat the Frostlings race from Age of Wonders 1. I'd use either humans or goblins, give them blueish-white/grey skin, arctic adaptation and possibly wolf mounts (they rode wolvesi n age of wonders 1, but it was only a couple of units, so could just go for the wolf mount aesthetically). Take either barbarian or dark culture, barbarian culture would probably be closer aesthetically, though the jaggedness and spikes of the dark culture could look good for an ice theme, especially if you can make the armor color be like white or bright blue.

e: I think there is a pre-set Frostlings faction in the game though, led by some witch lady. So if I want to play Frostlings I might just play them.

Age of Wonders 1 is the only AoW game I have played before this, and Frostling and lizardmen were my favourites in that game. Yeah, if you wanted to replicate them in this game that would be how to do it, but a lot of the flavour could be added with just the Tome, I wouldn't be surprised if taking the transformation changes skin colour.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think all the race transformations have a visual component actually.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Randarkman posted:

I hope at some point they add Beetle mounts and Mammoth mounts so we can get mammoth riders and beetle riders back.

And maybe mole mounts, but then we'd probably get a lot of moles on mole cavalry.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah. I also hope they eventually re-add the tier 4 Snakes, they were a fun unit to evolve up and only having tier 2 versions now is kinda sad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Assuming this game is successful they'll probably be adding numerous new cultures and tomes to the game, probably not new affinities (though we'll see).

I feel like somethign that's kind of missing as cultures are like a "sylvan" type (though you can kind of do it by combining others with a nature affinity), but I think that's something that people would want. Also a "nomad" culture that would probably draw from the faction in AoW2. Lots more they could do as well, as you could pull from the past games, or just fantasy tropes in general.

e: Maybe also somethign to kind of more properly simulate the LotR-ish hobbits from game 1 and 2, where you'd have mostly weak units, but some fun abilities and economy bonuses.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 2, 2023

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The hype is real.

Cmon just 23 more minutes....

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So... Be prepared for Steam to poo poo itself and things getting stuck on some kind of "unpacking" or "veryifying" or whatever?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It just crossed my mind that there's a really cool synergy between feudal, maining order, seconding nature, and thirding chaos, if you go all in on mounts, animals, and keeping tier 1 units relevant.

Feudal stacks your adjacency bonuses even more early on, and order provides you with mighty meek - not only does this boost your ludicrously numerous and partially freespawned animals, all the battle freespawn tier 1 animals you get are going to be faithful (since being tier 1 seems to be the only criteria for the mighty meek enchantment), but later on this will insanely turbocharge your shrines of smiting into being powerful beyond all reason.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

GMG keys are out

15 more minutes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The things that are missing from in AoW4 compared to AoW3

1) Draconians/Lizardfolk/more dragons (coming in DLC)
2) Pretty much the entire Dreadnought class(coming in DLC)
3) Naga/Merfolk/Archons (Naga might be in DLC)
4) A selection of animals/monsters/Mounts (Gryphon, Manticore, Bear, Eldritch Horror, Cockatrice, Beetles, Elephants, Tigers, Feathered Serpents, Node Serpents) (coming in DLC)
5) Blight/Spirit elementals and Shadow Stalkers (might be coming in DLC)

Pretty much every other unit or a way to make it through enchantments/transformations can be found, though obviously a lot unlock in wildly different ways. Warlord units are mostly split between the Chaos tomes and Barbarian cultural units for instance.

And obviously there's a load of cool new stuff that has no equivalent in AoW3.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They've specified that this specifically will be a DLC already?

e: I wonder what the culture name for the dreadnought class-equivalent would be. "Dreadnought" wouldn't work there I think. Assuming it's represented as a culture and not as tomes that grant like gunpowder and technological units and abilities.

e2: Ah, look at that, that's a lot of plans already. The primeval culture kind of sounds like it would be what I expected would be coming as something along the likes of "sylvan".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 2, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Randarkman posted:

They've specified that this specifically will be a DLC already?

We know about these DLC

quote:

Archmage Attire
The Wizards of Magehaven dress to impress, representing their grand personalities and ambitions. This outfit pack unlocks a new set of clothing you can wear as a whole or mix and match with other items.

Instant, exclusive access when buying the Expansion Pass

Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn
Embrace the power of the Ancient Dragon Lords, in the Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn Content Pack. From your Dragon Throne, forge empires inhabited by reptilian minions and use draconic magic to evolve your people into dragon hybrids. Includes a new Dragon Ruler type, a Reptilian Form, and New Tomes.

Included in Expansion Pass
Release: Q3 2023 (Stand alone price: $9.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Empires and Ashes
The empires of mortals resurge after the devastation brought forth by the Wizard Kings. In the Age of Wonders 4: Empires and Ashes Expansion, players fuse Magic and Steel to unleash devastating war machines to drive the Godir back into the Astral Sea. Includes a new Culture, Tomes, Empire Building options and Story Realm.

Release: Q4 2023 (Stand alone price: $19.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Primal Fury
Channel Nature’s Spirits in the Age of Wonders 4: Primal Fury Content Pack. Create races using new beastly forms and a primeval culture. New Tomes of Magic tap nature’s hidden powers and the Fey realms. Your surroundings contain new forms of wildlife, creatures and bountiful resources.

Planned release: Q1 2024 (Stand alone price: $9.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Eldritch Realms
The Age of Wonders 4: Eldritch Realms expansion opens portals to realms filled with arcane marvels and unspeakable horrors. New forces threaten the rule of the Godir of Magehaven. New story content, strange monsters, new racial forms, magical realms and locations bring a new dimension to the game.

Release: Q2 2024 (Stand alone price: $19.99)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Randarkman posted:

e: I wonder what the cutlure name for the dreadnought class-equivalent would be. "Dreadnought" wouldn't work there I think. Assuming it's represented as a culture and not as tomes that grant like gunpowder and technological units and abilities.

Mechanist maybe? And have the units be a mix of living support types and machine melee/ranged stuff.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I think I'm going to try and recreate the races from Malazan.

Jaghut can be orcs with the ice tomes. T'lan Imass can be humans(or dwarves?) with the tome that turns your race undead. The Tiste Edur and Tiste Andii can be some variations of Elves.

Edit: It's downloading :dance:
If you have it on Steam you might need close Steam for the Install button to appear

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Let's goooooo

Edit: I haven't been this hyped for any game for ages.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Download is live now. 8.19 GB, not that big by modern standards.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Downloading for me, 14.45 gb.

Edit: oh wait, that's space. 8.2 gb is right.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

good thing its small otherwise my garbage 40mb internet would take forever

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I succumbed to the hype and preodered. I think disciples 2 was maybe a bit similar to this, and homm series, but I haven't been playing anything like that in like 15-20 years. It was 40€ from 2game.com with some discount code. Hopefully I did not waste my money :shepspends:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Why is Steam not unlocking for download, Gerbyln

I will DECLARE WAR on the Netherlands, Gerblyn

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

toasterwarrior posted:

Why is Steam not unlocking for download, Gerbyln

I will DECLARE WAR on the Netherlands, Gerblyn

You probably know this but just in case or for anyone that doesn't - if you run into an issue like this restarting Steam usually fixes it.
I was able to install without restarting though so, eh?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Giggling at Karissa being exactly as she should be. You go girl. :love:

A tease for DLC 1.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 2, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

apparently this has gotton alot of hype because the multiplayer servers already crashed

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

12k concurrent players :captainpop:. Looks like people on the fence should have some opinions from the public very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

house of the dad posted:

12k concurrent players :captainpop:. Looks like people on the fence should have some opinions from the public very soon.

this is up to almost 19k-20k way more than i thought