Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/christerryatl/status/1653095138627919872?s=46&t=c-J7OWymHbNvQekTSNjY-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So now this raises a question: did the self-destruct actually work to begin with or is it just one of the damaged engines finally caught the fuel storage on fire and blew up the rocket and SpaceX is going “It just took 40 seconds longer, that’s all!”

There's a great video here breaking it all down, but videos showed at the time that the destruct went off you can see some minor venting, but clearly not enough to actually destroy the rocket at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDuVomNd9M

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

To me, if you can't even get your safety critical processes to work properly, that should be immediate and permanent grounding until you can demonstrate otherwise... but that's not the world we live in eh

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gourdcaptain posted:

The one friend I have who's family subscribed to it over their objections noted it was basically unusable at most times, so uh... "right" is dubious in all cases with Starlink.

my org does live events across the US and have been running about 4-5 units per event and the service has worked great but managing them either at a networking level or a billing level have been challenging.

coconono has issued a correction as of 15:16 on May 2, 2023

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
They are building a Starship launch tower in Florida for the past few years I think. I wonder the current state of construction is, how similar it is to the Texas one and what if any deconstruction/modifications may have to occur in Florida.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
After the fall of the USA all the documents will be released, showing that these were manned missions, seventeen Muskonauts died.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Challenger astronauts survived the blast.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1988/11/13/shuttle-crew-said-to-have-survived-blast/bd5281d0-1e05-417e-89bc-7ec64fa9477e/

This would be my nightmare. G forces pressing me into the chair, fully conscious but unable to move, just sitting there waiting for a violent death for 2.5 minutes. even drowning would be faster than that.

I don't know why exactly but I think I'd rather die by falling while strapped to a chair than just free falling. that's kinda weird lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

I don't know why exactly but I think I'd rather die by falling while strapped to a chair than just free falling. that's kinda weird lol

you can pretend it's a hell of a ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDyk-FgtKz0

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

that’s a weird way to spell “accelerate the launch of X, the everything app, by 3-5 years”

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'd hydraulic press all the frogs if it meant guaranteeing we never get off this planet. We deserve to go extinct on this rock. We don't deserve to go do it to another.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That guy's just trying to get ahead of the big frog goo bubble that's coming up

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

https://twitter.com/ChrisTerryATL/status/1653106969618571269?s=20

when the asteroid comes we won't fuckin see it. MF'ers think we live in the Armageddon timeline where we have months to prepare

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Filthy Hans posted:

it was supposed to a)launch (success) b)without destroying the launchpad (failure) successfully burning through all its fuel (failure) reaching an appointed altitude (failure) then returning intact enough to be relaunched in the near future (lol)
Cool, the one thing they managed to do was done only *checks notes* 81 years ago!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Destroy all life on this planet so I can step foot on another uninhabitable one and starve/asphyxiate there

ben shapino posted:

I'd hydraulic press all the frogs if it meant guaranteeing we never get off this planet. We deserve to go extinct on this rock. We don't deserve to go do it to another.
The Woke Mind Virus is realizing we've been gifted a planet with the best living conditions and we can't even make a go of it here

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This still cracks me up he sounds so annoyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

LegoMan posted:

when the asteroid comes we won't fuckin see it. MF'ers think we live in the Armageddon timeline where we have months to prepare

If the asteroid is large enough that we see it months in advance, it absolutely will be enough to wipe out most surface life on Earth. As you point out, though, there’s a lot of separation between “months of notice” and “too small to care about”.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it's clearly established in the movie that drilling is a specialized skill that can't be taught to astronauts before the astroid hits. it makes sense that they'd have real astronauts do all the stuff that requires astronaut skills (flying, landing, docking) and have the already trained drillers do the drilling part. jerry bruckheimer ftw.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
But sir! Mr musk! I have a blue check! Please let me on the starship that's just you and all your children

*Rocket explodes days before asteroid impact*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Russian French guy is the only one that deserved to be in space

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grundulum posted:

If the asteroid is large enough that we see it months in advance, it absolutely will be enough to wipe out most surface life on Earth. As you point out, though, there’s a lot of separation between “months of notice” and “too small to care about”.

Doesn't have to be large to see it months or years in advance. That's more about "what is the asteroid's orbit" because there are blind spots (Sunward, anti-Sunward) where we struggle more to measure its proper motion.

https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/sentry/

That's a list of the most hazardous known objects and their impact time and probability. Sort by descending probability to freak yourself out.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine any gov't even trying to do anything about an oncoming asteroid lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

man, twitter just constantly signs me out and all sorts of buggy weird poo poo right now, what a garbage site

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

man, twitter just constantly signs me out and all sorts of buggy weird poo poo right now, what a garbage site

Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

thats probably because barely anyone works there now

https://twitter.com/HaysKali/status/1653422988388368384

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Iridium posted:

There's a great video here breaking it all down, but videos showed at the time that the destruct went off you can see some minor venting, but clearly not enough to actually destroy the rocket at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDuVomNd9M

Was the idea that the charge would puncture a hole to vent fuel, which would then be ignited in the engine wash? Seems like the design would only ever work if the engine was under/behind the rocket and it was flying straight and true, which is specifically the opposite situation that the system was intended to be used during.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ben shapino posted:

Looking into this.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Things are going like...so good.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Was the idea that the charge would puncture a hole to vent fuel, which would then be ignited in the engine wash? Seems like the design would only ever work if the engine was under/behind the rocket and it was flying straight and true, which is specifically the opposite situation that the system was intended to be used during.

generally the idea is that you'd tear the side of the thing open in a big long line so that it's sort of all vented at once and the engines cut immediately before they have time under power to continue to gently caress up their course like this.

i dunno what their expectation was here, spacex is just built different, and badly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i used to love space but i loving hate it so much now

i hope every rocket fails, i hope Kepler syndrome ruins any chance of getting off this rock that we're ruining. I want the billionaires trapped down here in the poo poo with the rest of us. None shall escape.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

That's a list of the most hazardous known objects and their impact time and probability. Sort by descending probability to freak yourself out.

A 7 meters in diameter rock with a 10% probability to hit us in 2095 is not precisely something to freak yourself out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

trucutru posted:

A 7 meters in diameter rock with a 10% probability to hit us in 2095 is not precisely something to freak yourself out.

I've got my money on Bennu because it's gonna have a lot of chances. Nobody is gonna be around to see it, though, that's too bad.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Wasn't there some video of a simulation if a real time meteor impact, complete with watching it rise over the horizon and air raid sirens and poo poo. It was chilling to see the inevitability of it coming then all the slow moving (geologically speaking) ejecta and heat maps crawling across the planet.

Wish I could find it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LegoMan posted:

Wasn't there some video of a simulation if a real time meteor impact, complete with watching it rise over the horizon and air raid sirens and poo poo. It was chilling to see the inevitability of it coming then all the slow moving (geologically speaking) ejecta and heat maps crawling across the planet.

Wish I could find it

Here's a cool simulation of the Chicxulub impact tsunami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcp0JhwNgmE

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

I've got my money on Bennu because it's gonna have a lot of chances. Nobody is gonna be around to see it, though, that's too bad.

We have already landed on that baby, we can cryo-freeze some oil drillers (before the woke left destroys their jobs) and be ready to armageddon that poo poo.

LegoMan posted:

Wish I could find it

One Punch Man episode 7.

trucutru has issued a correction as of 18:00 on May 2, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mdemone posted:

That's a cumulative chance in the chance column. And barely a kilometer is no dinosaur killer

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1653443468633706496?t=ofTfbiZO4lnopX-wdQUKwA&s=19

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

lmao what is this blue post? 'If you make fun of me well I am rubber you are glue'

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao what is this blue post? 'If you make fun of me well I am rubber you are glue'
Some checkmark created and posted this in earnest, and it filtered its way up

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dril is threadbanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

C-SPAM > [Musk] Memes made in an attempt to make me look stupid do the reverse