Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
E: Beat the post timer and double posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Again; who would have standing to sue if the White House just ignored the debt ceiling?

Congress could sue the Treasury Department for violating separation of powers and attempting to take away Congressional control of federal borrowing and spending power that is guaranteed to them under Article I.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The bigger issue of doing one weird trick to save the global economy is that it completely eliminates the stability that everyone leans on the US dollar for. Even if we ultimately pass something the uncertainty surrounding the whole thing can be super loving damaging as well.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

This is 1000% going to happen, the AI hyperfixation is at an all-time high for the richest, most oblivious people and they do not believe writers are worth the money (they are!).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Make the 14th amendment argument and then mint the coin (with George Soros on it) anyway

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cr0y posted:

The bigger issue of doing one weird trick to save the global economy is that it completely eliminates the stability that everyone leans on the US dollar for. Even if we ultimately pass something the uncertainty surrounding the whole thing can be super loving damaging as well.

Would it? It's not like we're going to stop paying creditors, it just gets rid of the arbitrary ceiling that we have internally. If anything it seems like it would be beneficial to not have the US on the verge of default every year.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congress could sue the Treasury Department for violating separation of powers and attempting to take away Congressional control of federal borrowing and spending power that is guaranteed to them under Article I.

Sure. But the white house just argues they have to spend money as directed by congress. Congress has passed two things that can not be simultaneously be obeyed. I don't think any judge is dumb enough to side with congress and tank the entire global economy. The whole idea of the political hot potato is NOT to get caught holding it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

Would it? It's not like we're going to stop paying creditors, it just gets rid of the arbitrary ceiling that we have internally. If anything it seems like it would be beneficial to not have the US on the verge of default every year.

That's why it's uncertainty- maybe we do intend to stop paying creditors, because our laws have become so hosed that that's not permitted any more. Or maybe we don't intend to stop paying creditors, but Republicans gently caress around too much and we miss a deadline, which also counts as default even if the money will be there tomorrow

It would absolutely be beneficial to get rid of the debt ceiling but that has to be done in a way such that the entire government and every economic actor considers the matter settled, even the most shitheaded Republicans. That means either a law passed by Congress or a SCOTUS decision saying explicitly that additional debt can be issued. Until we have one of those things, there's uncertainty

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 2, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If you want an ugly state look at Iowa.
I think western Iowa with the rolling hills is kinda pretty

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My girlfriend lived in Roswell before she moved in with me, and holy gently caress was that corner of New Mexico nothing but ugly barren nothingness.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I've heard Roswell is a rather alien landscape

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Noting matters on the debt ceiling until the last minute. Until then, everyone keeps up the pretense that they won't budge.

They always say they won't back off. If they said they would, it would ruin their negotiation tactic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

Noting matters on the debt ceiling until the last minute. Until then, everyone keeps up the pretense that they won't budge.

They always say they won't back off. If they said they would, it would ruin their negotiation tactic.

Yeah but it’s extra exciting because even the treasury can’t say when the last minute is

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I've heard Roswell is a rather alien landscape

Having grown up there it’s marginally more interesting and more pleasant to drive through than West Texas but that’s not saying much. At least ruidoso and the Rockies are only an hour away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The entire government has apparently been planning and operating under "one weird trick!" rules for a while.

This measure isn't that likely to succeed, but it is extremely funny and well-planned.

Essentially:

- House Democrats had a backbencher Representative introduce a boring innocuous sounding bill all the way back in January.

quote:

The only clue to the gambit was in the title of the otherwise obscure hodgepodge of a bill: “The Breaking the Gridlock Act.”

But the 45-page legislation, introduced without fanfare in January by a little-known Democrat, Representative Mark DeSaulnier of California, is part of a confidential, previously unreported, strategy Democrats have been plotting for months to quietly smooth the way for action by Congress to avert a devastating federal default if debt ceiling talks remain deadlocked.

quote:

Mr. DeSaulnier was picked to sponsor the measure because his low profile meant there was likely to be little attention to his bill. In contrast, any legislation introduced by Representative Jim McGovern of Massachusetts, the Democratic chairman of the Rules Committee, would have drawn attention immediately, and Republicans might have been able to take action to derail it.

- The bill had hundreds of random provisions that touched every single jurisdiction of every single committee in the House, so every House committee had it sent to them.

quote:

The discharge petition process can be time-consuming and complicated, so Democrats who devised the strategy started early and carefully crafted their legislative vehicle. Insiders privately refer to the measure as a “Swiss Army knife” bill — one that was intended to be referred to every single House committee in order to keep open as many opportunities as possible for forcing it to the floor.

It would create a task force to help grandparents raising grandchildren, create a federal strategy for reducing earthquake risks, change the name of a law that governs stock trading by members of Congress, extend small business loans, protect veterans from the I.R.S., authorize a new Pentagon grant program to protect nonprofit organizations against terrorist attacks and more. Notably, the legislation was so broad and eclectic that it was referred to 20 committees, where it has sat idle for months. That was the point.

- Republicans ignored this bill and never brought it up for consideration.

quote:

Mr. DeSaulnier’s intent was never to pass the elements of the bill, though he favors them all. It was to create what is known on Capitol Hill as a shell of a bill that would ultimately serve as the basis for a discharge petition — and a way out of the debt limit standoff.

“I wrote it in a way to be prepared,” said Mr. DeSaulnier, a former member of the Rules Committee who worked with Democratic procedural experts to craft legislation that could provide a debt-limit escape hatch. “I anticipated there would be these problems with the Republican caucus, whether it was abortion or the debt limit. I think it was the responsible thing as a legislator to do.”

- Under House rules, if a bill is unaddressed in committee for 30 days, then you can start the process of a discharge petition.

quote:

Democrats say the beauty of the Mr. DeSaulnier’s bill — which Republicans have ignored — is that it long ago passed the threshold of being held in committee for at least 30 days, the minimum length of time to initiate a discharge petition to force action on legislation. And they said that the fact that it was under the jurisdiction of so many committees gave them several options for moving forward.

- Normally, every vote in the House is determined by the speaker. With a discharge petition, you can go through a long process that eventually will allow a vote on a bill without the Speaker's approval, but only if a majority of House members sign on to it.

Democrats have used this shell bill from January to start the clock on the discharge petition months early and filed an amendment to delete all the legislative text from the bill and replace it with one that raises the debt ceiling.

They would still need 5 Republicans to support the effort, but the thought is that they can use the threat of the discharge petition to pressure Republicans and if they actually do default, then they can hopefully get 5 Republicans to vote for the discharge petition very quickly to pass a clean debt ceiling raise after they panic.

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/1653431537004691456

quote:

House Democrats Move to Force a Debt-Limit Increase as Default Date Looms

House Democratic leaders who have been quietly planning a strategy to force a debt ceiling increase to avert default began taking steps on Tuesday to deploy their secret weapon.

The only clue to the gambit was in the title of the otherwise obscure hodgepodge of a bill: “The Breaking the Gridlock Act.”

But the 45-page legislation, introduced without fanfare in January by a little-known Democrat, Representative Mark DeSaulnier of California, is part of a confidential, previously unreported, strategy Democrats have been plotting for months to quietly smooth the way for action by Congress to avert a devastating federal default if debt ceiling talks remain deadlocked.

With the possibility of a default now projected as soon as June 1, Democrats on Tuesday began taking steps to deploy the secret weapon they have been holding in reserve. They started the process of trying to force a debt-limit increase bill to the floor through a so-called discharge petition that could bypass Republican leaders who have refused to raise the ceiling unless President Biden agrees to spending cuts and policy changes.

“House Democrats are working to make sure we have all options at our disposal to avoid a default,” Representative Hakeem Jeffries, Democrat of New York and the minority leader, wrote in a letter he sent to colleagues on Tuesday. “The filing of a debt ceiling measure to be brought up on the discharge calendar preserves an important option. It is now time for MAGA Republicans to act in a bipartisan manner to pay America’s bills without extreme conditions.”

An emergency rule Democrats introduced on Tuesday, during a pro forma session held while the House is in recess, would start the clock on a process that would allow them to begin collecting signatures as soon as May 16 on such a petition, which can force action on a bill if a majority of members sign on. The open-ended rule would provide a vehicle to bring Mr. DeSaulnier’s bill to the floor and amend it with a Democratic proposal — which has yet to be written — to resolve the debt limit crisis.

The strategy is no silver bullet, and Democrats concede it is a long shot. Gathering enough signatures to force a bill to the floor would take at least five Republicans willing to cross party lines if all Democrats signed on, a threshold that Democrats concede will be difficult to reach. They have yet to settle on the debt ceiling proposal itself, and for the strategy to succeed, Democrats would likely need to negotiate with a handful of mainstream Republicans to settle on a measure they could accept.

Still, Democrats argue that the prospect of a successful effort could force House Republicans into a more acceptable deal. And Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellin’s announcement on Monday that a potential default was only weeks away spurred Democratic leaders to act.

House Democratic leaders have for months played down the possibility of initiating a discharge petition as a way out of the stalemate. They are hesitant to budge from the party position, which Mr. Biden has articulated repeatedly, that Republicans should agree to raise the debt limit with no conditions or concessions on spending cuts.

But behind the scenes, they were simultaneously taking steps to make sure a vehicle was available if needed.

The discharge petition process can be time-consuming and complicated, so Democrats who devised the strategy started early and carefully crafted their legislative vehicle. Insiders privately refer to the measure as a “Swiss Army knife” bill — one that was intended to be referred to every single House committee in order to keep open as many opportunities as possible for forcing it to the floor.

It would create a task force to help grandparents raising grandchildren, create a federal strategy for reducing earthquake risks, change the name of a law that governs stock trading by members of Congress, extend small business loans, protect veterans from the I.R.S., authorize a new Pentagon grant program to protect nonprofit organizations against terrorist attacks and more. Notably, the legislation was so broad and eclectic that it was referred to 20 committees, where it has sat idle for months. That was the point.

Mr. DeSaulnier’s intent was never to pass the elements of the bill, though he favors them all. It was to create what is known on Capitol Hill as a shell of a bill that would ultimately serve as the basis for a discharge petition — and a way out of the debt limit standoff.

“I wrote it in a way to be prepared,” said Mr. DeSaulnier, a former member of the Rules Committee who worked with Democratic procedural experts to craft legislation that could provide a debt-limit escape hatch. “I anticipated there would be these problems with the Republican caucus, whether it was abortion or the debt limit. I think it was the responsible thing as a legislator to do.”

Democrats say the beauty of the Mr. DeSaulnier’s bill — which Republicans have ignored — is that it long ago passed the threshold of being held in committee for at least 30 days, the minimum length of time to initiate a discharge petition to force action on legislation. And they said that the fact that it was under the jurisdiction of so many committees gave them several options for moving forward.

Mr. DeSaulnier was picked to sponsor the measure because his low profile meant there was likely to be little attention to his bill. In contrast, any legislation introduced by Representative Jim McGovern of Massachusetts, the Democratic chairman of the Rules Committee, would have drawn attention immediately, and Republicans might have been able to take action to derail it.

Discharge petitions have spurred action in the past by prompting House leaders to move on issues rather than lose control of the floor through a guerrilla legislative effort. But the procedure is rarely successful and has produced a law in only a handful of cases, including the approval of major bipartisan campaign finance legislation in 2002. Congressional leaders of both parties have been disdainful of such efforts, since they effectively wrest control of the House floor from the majority.

Democrats say that the current situation, with a default looming, showed that they were taking prudent precautions with Mr. DeSaulnier’s bill. Besides thwarting gridlock, it says its purpose is also “to advance common-sense policy priorities.”

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

Yeah but it’s extra exciting because even the treasury can’t say when the last minute is

This is the risk. We approach some vague deadline, Kevin McCarthy keeps telling himself he can hold out for another day, he goes to sleep one night and something slips and we default. Or he caves at the last minute but he can't wrangle the caucus together in time or gets stuck in traffic and we default. Boehner and Ryan were both willing to fall on their swords but KMac thinks he can get this camel through the eye of a needle: don't crash the economy, keep his job, win the standoff.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

The 14th Amendment Section 4 Public Debt posted:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Congress passed the spending, the debt is valid. Sue Congress and end the debt ceiling farce.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

:words: about the Dems actually doing something productive

I'm happy to see the Democrats actually willing to engage in legal skullduggery and underhanded measures so the Republicans don't just blow up the whole global economy. It's good to see them actually doing what's right rather than what's "legal" (even if everything they're doing is technically legal).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cr0y posted:

Using the 14th Amendment is the least One Weird Trick of all the options, including yearly pissing matches. Even if we suddenly reveal THE COIN, as long as we never actually default on a dime of debt we'll just lurch along and avoid the sudden death of the world's financial super computers frying themselves trying to divide by zero.

Maybe if the world economy implodes we can get someone who believes in vaccines to run a credible primary against Biden. So we can look forward to something from the economic ashes of our own idiocy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Independence posted:

Congress passed the spending, the debt is valid. Sue Congress and end the debt ceiling farce.

Article I also says that "the Congress shall have the power to pay the debts of the United States" and "to borrow money on the credit of the United States."

The Constitutional Congress also said as part of their debates that congress has "sole power" to originate actions that raise revenue or spend money and that borrowing is "a power inseparably connected with that of raising revenue."

This is one of those situations that the Supreme Court is supposed to be for. The most common rulings on the Supreme Court are 9-0 (or 8-1 since Clarence Thomas was appointed) because they are generally about statutory clarifications that have just never been ruled on in this specific scenario before. But, the few big divisive cases are always the ones where the constitution really isn't 100% clear. In those cases, it's basically up to your judicial philosophy or political ideology to pick which side is the correct one because there isn't an objectively correct answer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have standing to sue over the debt ceiling until the government fails to make a payment, though?

I guess you could argue that sowing doubt about payments has materially harmed your bond holdings?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Does anyone have standing to sue over the debt ceiling until the government fails to make a payment, though?

I guess you could argue that sowing doubt about payments has materially harmed your bond holdings?

Anyone who can prove they are materially impacted could sue once they prove the impact (or have a default happen, which would be de facto proof).

If they wanted to go the 14th amendment route, then Congress could sue as soon as Treasury asserts that it has the power to pay debts without congressional approval and announces it will be acting on that authority.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

I think the larger point is that if the markets lose trust in the US dollar, for whatever reason, that will have very unpredictable effects on the various global markets. Even if no one can immediately sue over it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

I think the larger point is that if the markets lose trust in the US dollar, for whatever reason, that will have very unpredictable effects on the various global markets. Even if no one can immediately sue over it.

Exactly, that's why waiting for a lawsuit isn't really a practical option. If Congress doesn't pre-emptively act, very bad things will happen no matter what the courts do

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Seems like some uncertainty would be solved if the McCarthy would just publicly release his poo poo house budget, so everyone can see in writing that it’s poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The NYT has an extremely long (and interesting) piece on Krysten Sinema. It would blow up the page if I posted all of it.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1653450548928970771

There's a lot of interesting (and infuriating) reporting and details in there. But, the two biggest pieces of news are:

- Sinema confirms reporting from last year that her support of the IRA was conditional on keeping the carried interest deduction loophole. It was her only concrete demand.

quote:

Two months after the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act was enacted, the path to the possible was found once again: Sinema and the Biden administration had reached a deal on the social-spending bill formerly known as Build Back Better. Now rechristened the Inflation Reduction Act, the initiative would spend roughly $500 billion to fund clean-energy programs and extend the Affordable Care Act. The accord with Sinema broke the deadlock, allowing for swift passage — and a win for the Biden White House.

Still, progressives were not of the mind to applaud the Arizona senator, who had extracted a significant price in exchange for her support: The bill would no longer be paid for in part by closing the carried-interest loophole, which allowed wealthy private-equity executives to claim much of their compensation as investment gains rather than as taxable income. As reporters were quick to note, Sinema had received over $2 million in campaign donations from the investment sector over the previous decade. (And hundreds of thousands more since the Inflation Reduction Act was passed.)

Sinema’s rationale for supporting private-equity firms is rooted in the economic growth of Arizona, which, she claims, depends on affordable-housing construction that is underwritten by such firms. “So to me, it makes no sense to disincentivize the supply side of creating that affordable housing in multifamily units,” Sinema told me.

quote:

Her solution was to finance the Inflation Reduction Act by increasing the corporate minimum tax, ensuring that all businesses would pay at least 15 percent. This, Sinema said, made more sense than increasing the overall corporate tax — “if your goal is tax fairness, which is mine.”

If that was her goal, I asked, then was she actually saying that the carried-interest loophole for the ultrawealthy was fair?

“What I think it is,” she said, “is an important tool to incentivize investment.”

An earlier version of Kyrsten Sinema — for example, the 2012 congressional candidate whose opening campaign ad promised that she would be a voice for “the powerless” — would most likely have labeled her argument a defense of “trickle-down economics.” It was also a shaky position on its own terms.

- Sinema is not going to retire and is preparing to run a 3-way Senate race as an independent.

She has developed her own fundraising network outside of the Democratic party and believes that her independence and maverick spirit will inspire a majority of independents and at least 25% of Democrats and Republicans to support her.

She also allegedly still thinks she may be the first female President.

quote:

Unlike those earlier legislative tightrope walks, Sinema, who is known for avoiding the news media, was performing this one in public, accompanied by a half-dozen members of the Arizona press as well as myself. It was clear, if unstated, that this was the second reason for going to the border, which most Democrats have assiduously stayed away from amid growing Republican criticism: her 2024 re-election bid. She never once raised the subject during our four interviews over two months. When I did, a day before the border visit, she cheerfully replied: “I’m not going to answer that question. But I’m glad you started with it. Got it right out of the way!”

quote:

In truth, her answer had been apparent for months. Why else would she have left the Democratic Party four years into her term, if not to avoid a primary in which the party’s progressive base was guaranteed to turn its wrath on her? Why else was she (as The Wall Street Journal first reported) furtively holding staff retreats to lay out a timetable for commissioning polls and opposition research? Nothing she said in our conversations left me with the impression that she was putting a few final touches on her senatorial legacy on her way out the door to the private sector. At the same time, Sinema — whom even her closest friends describe as calculated, and who described herself to me as “very intentional” and “a planner” — almost never telegraphs her strategy. It suited her ends to freeze the 2024 machinations by leaving everyone guessing.

Still, here she was, flanked by Republican legislators and border officials, blanketing the state’s airwaves 19 months before what is sure to be the most complicated race of her two decades in electoral politics. It will also be, aside from the presidential election itself, the most significant contest next year, and it may well decide which party controls the Senate. Over the past two years, the Democrats (with independents) have held the majority by no more than two votes, which has allowed Sinema and another centrist Democrat, Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, to command extraordinary influence over the party’s legislative agenda.

quote:

With no affiliated party to support her — with two parties, rather than just one, actively working to defeat her — the incumbent is gambling that she can attract donors and elected surrogates who are willing to risk angering others in their partisan tribe by supporting her. Since announcing his candidacy in late January, Gallego has outraised Sinema, $3.7 million to $2.1 million, but she has almost four times as much money in the bank as he does.

Most of all, she is betting that her lawmaking acumen will attract a new coalition of Arizona voters. No one unaffiliated with either of the two parties has ever won statewide office there. For Sinema to do so, according to Chuck Coughlin, a prominent Republican consultant in Arizona, “she needs 20 to 25 percent of Democratic voters, 25 to 30 percent of Republicans and 50 to 60 percent of self-identified independents.”

In Coughlin’s view, Sinema’s easiest task will be to win over a majority of independents, who amount to 33.7 percent of Arizona’s overall electorate, according to data from the secretary of state’s office. A taller order will be to pick off at least one-quarter of the 34.5 percent of Arizonans who are registered Republicans. Accomplishing this would require her to outperform President Biden, who won nearly seven percent of the Republican electorate against Donald Trump in 2020, as well as Gov. Katie Hobbs, who received almost 11 percent of the Republican vote in her 2022 victory over the far-right Kari Lake.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Global markets are already moving away from the dollar in small ways that are gaining steam.

I guess the only question is whether there are enough True Believers in congress that they'd be willing to blow up the US's global economic hegemony to force cuts to welfare or whatever.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dpulex posted:

Seems like some uncertainty would be solved if the McCarthy would just publicly release his poo poo house budget, so everyone can see in writing that it’s poo poo.

It's a pretty straightforward answer to why he isn't releasing it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jaxyon posted:

Global markets are already moving away from the dollar in small ways that are gaining steam.

I guess the only question is whether there are enough True Believers in congress that they'd be willing to blow up the US's global economic hegemony to force cuts to welfare or whatever.
They’re never thinking about things that big. They would just prefer to gently caress over Biden and Dems going into 2024. That’s it.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The word "maverick" should've been buried with McCain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dpulex posted:

He did release his budget.

It says he will cut discretionary spending by 23%.

But, not Social Security, Medicare, or Defense.

And if you pick any specific item, he says that obviously won't be included and it is a biased and bad faith reading of the plan.

What about "cut spending by 23%, but say you will exclude every specific thing when asked," cutting unspecified "waste and abuse," and "work requirements for food stamps" doesn't sound like a real budget to you?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Anyone who can prove they are materially impacted could sue once they prove the impact (or have a default happen, which would be de facto proof).

If they wanted to go the 14th amendment route, then Congress could sue as soon as Treasury asserts that it has the power to pay debts without congressional approval and announces it will be acting on that authority.

Standing has become a bunch of bullshit that Republican judges will wipe their rear end with then move on to do whatever they wanted to do anyway. Abso-loving-lutely nobody has standing of being harmed by mifepristone being approved 23 years ago and look where we are today.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re never thinking about things that big. They would just prefer to gently caress over Biden and Dems going into 2024. That’s it.

Well that's what I mean. It depends if there's enough of the idiotic true believers vs people pretending to be true believers, but who understand the consequences.

I think most of the true believers are faking it for votes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If you want an ugly state look at Iowa.

Iowa is very pretty along the Missisippi :colbert:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Nebraska? I guess it's beautiful if you like large flat cornfields.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jaxyon posted:

I had a painting instructor in college who was from California. He liked painting landscapes of places like Nebraska because the flat land reminded him of the ocean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jaxyon posted:

Well that's what I mean. It depends if there's enough of the idiotic true believers vs people pretending to be true believers, but who understand the consequences.

I think most of the true believers are faking it for votes.
I’m pretty sure we’ve reached the point where the true believers number ahead of the ones who are just pretending for votes

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Yeah like that time it hosed up the country's credit rating...which Republicans were at fault for and of course blamed Democrats for because how dare they not just let Republicans shoot the hostage.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure we’ve reached the point where the true believers number ahead of the ones who are just pretending for votes

Pretty much. The Tea Party wave replaced a whole ton of the performative psychopaths with actual psychopaths, and it's only gotten worse since.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jaxyon posted:

Nebraska can actually be pretty beautiful when you hit the areas which are irregularly hilly, so you're seeing waves of land rolling out in every direction. It could even make you temporarily forget you're in Nebraska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump says he will boycott the Republican Presidential primary debates and likely the general election debates as well if he wins the nomination.

However, members of his campaign think he might end up doing them if people criticize him during him during debates and he isn't there because he will feel compelled to respond.

quote:

In private comments to aides and confidants in recent weeks, Mr. Trump has made it clear that he does not want to breathe life into his Republican challengers by sharing the stage with them. Mr. Trump has led his nearest rival, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, by around 30 percentage points in recent polls. All other contenders are polling in single digits.

“I’m up by too many points,” one associate who spoke with Mr. Trump recalled him saying.

Additionally, he is mad that the Reagan Library and Fox News are hosting the Republican debates.

quote:

Another motivation for Mr. Trump is revenge: The former president has a history with the two institutions hosting the first two Republican candidate debates.

Mr. Trump has told advisers that the second debate is a nonstarter for him because it will be held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. The chairman of the library’s board of trustees, Frederick J. Ryan Jr., also serves as the publisher and chief executive officer of The Washington Post, a fact that Mr. Trump regularly brings up.

Mr. Trump is also sour that the Reagan library has invited numerous other leading Republicans to speak at its events over the past two years, including his presidential rival Mr. DeSantis, but has never extended an invitation to Mr. Trump, according to two people familiar with his thinking.

The library started a speakers series in 2021 called “Time for Choosing,” and invitees have included Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina; Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and United Nations ambassador; and, more recently, Mr. DeSantis. A spokesperson for the library said no former president has been included in the series.

quote:

Mr. Trump has been warring with Fox News since the conservative network announced on election night in 2020 that Joseph R. Biden Jr. won the state of Arizona. While the former president maintains warm relationships with several prime-time hosts — especially Sean Hannity, a reliable Trump booster — Mr. Trump’s overall relationship with Rupert Murdoch’s television network has deteriorated as the network showered Mr. DeSantis with praise over the past two years while constricting its coverage of Mr. Trump.

“Why would I have Bret Baier” question me, Mr. Trump told an associate, explaining a reason to skip the Fox News debate. Mr. Trump was furious with Mr. Baier, a Fox host, over his coverage of the 2020 election, in which Mr. Baier refuted many of the election-fraud claims made by the Trump team.

Mr. Trump has also mentioned his previous skirmish with the former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly in his private conversations with associates as a reason not to agree to a debate hosted by the network.

In the first Republican debate of the 2016 campaign cycle, Ms. Kelly asked Mr. Trump about demeaning things he’d said about women. Mr. Trump viewed this as a declaration of war from Fox News’ management. He later attacked Ms. Kelly in crude and sexist terms.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1653472841285660672