Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AoW3 and PF both did like 10k concurrents at launch. This is almost double that 30 minutes in! Seems like a certified (sales) success. Hopefully that means a second season of expansions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a way to rotate a unit's facing without moving them?

E: wait nevermind found it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I ordered through Humble Bundle and my key isn't here yet :negative:

Anno
May 10, 2017

Someone on Reddit said the game defaulted to their integrated GPU. So I guess if things seem weird that might be one place to check.

I hopped into the default map for a few minutes before heading back to work and everything seemed to run well maxed out on a 3070/10700k. Was getting 100-120 FPS depending how fast I was scrolling around.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone else have some odd DLCs entries showing in the Launcher?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Anyone else have some odd DLCs entries showing in the Launcher?

Sign-up content can be gotten by signing up to the newsletter. Scroll to the bottom of https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/age-of-wonders-4/about and click subscribe then you'll get a steam key

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems to run fine on my old 1060

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

seems to be running fine so far on high for me

Anno
May 10, 2017

Also the game has Workshop support and has three example mods from Triumph. One replaces spiders with potatoes, one is called Tome of the Penguin and one is a larger 12 player map size. I assume it’s mostly to help people get started with some mod examples but I’ll take the penguin tome and bigger maps thanks.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Triumph devs posted to discord saying they wanted to support 12 player maps but performance became an issue.

Making it a day 1 mod is a good compromise.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thyrork posted:

Giggling at Karissa being exactly as she should be. You go girl. :love:

A tease for DLC 1.

Wait is this a lord you can unlock & play?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Trip report: made halfling runesmiths, killed a bunch of poisonous spiders that couldn't touch me, declared war on the first real empire I ran into and got my face kicked in by angry frogmen

would play again

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Anno posted:

Also the game has Workshop support and has three example mods from Triumph. One replaces spiders with potatoes,

I hope the potatoes still have a bunch of legs.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

It will be, it’s an early still from the first DLC we’re working on!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Played a little of the intro on my lunch break. So far quite impressed with the polish, though I gotta say I'm unsure about some of the changes. In particular, all healing being temporary. I do prefer to be able to charge around getting into combat every turn. What options allow for faster strategic map healing? So far all I've seen is the lord of war trait, which of course I grabbed first.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Not yet, but for the first DLC. You can have a dragon as your starting lord instead of arch mage or champion.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

Nice! Excited to see what options dragons have on that "Ornamentation" slider, dragon fashion is overlooked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the gremlins look and sound very much like the minions from overlord lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Deptfordx posted:

Dear modders, please bring back the Runequest/Glorantha for AoW4 like we had for Shadow Magic.

Also, please have it ready by Friday. :colbert:

Wait there was a Glorantha mod!?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Played the tute for a whiel as a pre-set just to get a hang on it, then surrendered for xp when I figured I knew what I was doing. Now it's time for a proper champion to arise.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

You left them behind, Yaka. You left them behind, Triumph. But I remember them and I shall lead them anew.

I might make every human I play in this Azrac, just for narrative fun. :haw:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I fired this up for a couple minutes and 2 and a half hours just melted away. My minor nitpick so far is that the + and - signs are a little indistinct so I have to squint to say, see how something is going to affect city stability. And this is with the UI scaled to large.

I'm having fun. Feels pretty comfortable as someone who played a ton of 3 and Planetside. No performance issues. Looking forward to mods that allow more leader customization and more color choices.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A small UI quibble, when I have a unit selected, I can't see anything on the bottom panel which shows status effects on the unit, finding it slightly hard to keep track of which units I have with bolstered defence which is quite important for army composition.

It shows it if you over over the unit but not if the unit is selected I think?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I made a frost elfy magicky faction and…. we don’t got horses? Magic is too cool to ride?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Hey y'all made a really fun game, I was having a pretty bad day and this turned it around :)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Materium units + Chaos tomes for round one has been interesting. Nothing immediately synergistic, although it looks like you get to stack crit% and crit damage later. Materium's bolster mechanic makes your frontline enormously tanky which pairs pretty well with setting things on fire. Lots of crossbows.

I started with the Ruined Realm modifier for the map and I am somewhat regretting it. Basically, instead of city states dotted around the map there are ruined cities that you can rebuild for 100 imperium. These ruins have dictated all of my city placements, which feels weird. I picked it hoping to have more freedom in placing my own cities, and got the opposite.

Houndmasters from the Tome of the Horde seem like they are extremely good. My leader also rolled a "summon a random T3 elemental once every battle" ability at level 5, which has been carrying me pretty hard. Free troops that you can just send into the meat grinder seem extremely good in general, replacing regular troop losses has been pretty slow.

The swarmkin transformation on short, buff elfkin has ... some issues.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm guessing people are having tech issues with the game? Because the initial Steam reviews are at 53% positive, i.e. not good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haven't noticed any tech issues at all and my pc is like 5 years old I think?

It runs well, so there must be some specific bug people are having.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah if you check the reviews themselves it's all technical issues like constant crashing, gpu driver errors, etc.

I'm getting some horrendous lag while waiting on opponents to do their turns but nowhere else in the game.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Double Bill posted:

I'm guessing people are having tech issues with the game? Because the initial Steam reviews are at 53% positive, i.e. not good.

I think it's just people playing and enjoying the game while the people who have tech issues leave reviews. I haven't seen anything in the first hour or so of gameplay that would have remotely made me refund/etc so I have to imagine survivorship bias.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I already love how vassels work. It gives you like 70% of what you want out of a city without the micro.

The game crashed on me once, and some screens have weirdly poor performance (like the hero selection screen), but other than that, it's been smooth sailing. For a 4x game on day one this is pretty much as good as you can hope for.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 2, 2023

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Paradox games in general seem to make people go insane. I'm sure a number of users are having technical issues but an equal amount of the negative reviews are people with 20 minutes of game time complaining about changes made to the series, or one especially weird dude who's mad about the game including pronouns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Getting into this series for the first time and I NEED to know more about the Glorantha mod.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Helion posted:

I made a frost elfy magicky faction and…. we don’t got horses? Magic is too cool to ride?

Correct, Mystic culture doesn't get mounted units unless you use your mental race perk on a special mount. Then your tier 3 is mounted.

Pretty much all the other cultures have 1 mounted unit, with 2 if you pick a special mount. Feudal and Dark always have 2.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 2, 2023

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I hit the gpu driver error on launch, but updating to the latest Nvidia drivers and restarting took care of it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Double Bill posted:

The biggest issue for performance seems to be the game defaulting to integrated graphics on some setups.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Double Bill posted:

house of the dad posted:

Paradox games in general seem to make people go insane. I'm sure a number of users are having technical issues but an equal amount of the negative reviews are people with 20 minutes of game time complaining about changes made to the series, or one especially weird dude who's mad about the game including pronouns.

Pretty much this. Some expectations are too dang high. The old hounds amongst us know that Triumph are a double A if we must use such terminology. While they're right to complain and leave the negative feedback, at the moment I suspect people enjoying it have not stopped to drop a positive review and their thoughts in.

And while I do feel its somewhat crass to ask, we live in stupid times. So if y'all can drop a review in that'll help.

Some context;

The number, can only go up!

E: and as I've been saying; post them bug reports on the forums. Do it. They need the raw data to sift through in the coming weeks to make this gem sparkle.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Game's running incredibly well for me and it's so good :allears:

Started off in the tutorial world as toad lightbringers but once I got my bearings I restarted in the first real world as Feline Barbarian evil nature druids which the game calls "Aggressive Cats"

The inflated HP values in combat feel great, in previous AoW games there was always a feeling of anxiety attached to sending a front-line unit into combat before you had access to high tier units, because they were likely to just get instantly deleted on the enemy's turn. Battles being a little longer here means that "drawing enemy attacks" doesn't automatically mean death which makes the combat feel a lot more tactical and less puzzley

Similarly the ease of bringing additional stacks into battle means low-tier units never feel useless, because you can have them backing up your main stack reliabily. I made a full stack of 6 scouts because my Aggressive Cat
have cool archers that ride horses and have bows, so that stack can wander around the map scouting and occasionally pull up next to an upcoming battle to meaningfully contribute.

Explorable world tiles are much more interesting now too. Instead of the ol' "Kill them or chase them off" binary selection there are often multiple options: I tamed some birds guarding a mana node and built an aviary for them in a nearby city, increasing city stability because my citizens get pet birds now. I found a gold vein guarded by some neutral Aggressive Cats and when went to capture it instead of them just offering to join for gold, I got an event where they told me they were ordered to patrol it but can't supply themselves and I got the option to buy the gold vein from them, buy the gold vein and hire them, or attack them and take it. Just little bits of lore fluff that make the world feel more alive.

The only complaint I have right now is that there's no map editor and no hand-built maps. Seems like it would be a very powerful game to have custom maps in but :shrug:

e: The custom map settings are cool though. I made a custom map that is two gigantic continents separated by a river of lava, with the Forming Lands trait so every province starts out Desolate and has a small chance each turn of gaining a biome. It's a cool dynamic for a map to play out with the actual climate and terrain developing over time instead of being pre-generated.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 2, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

this game is so good holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Correct, Mystic culture doesn't get mounted units unless you use your mental race perk on a special mount. Then your tier 3 is mounted.

Pretty much all the other cultures have 1 mounted unit, with 2 if you pick a special mount. Feudal and Dark always have 2.

Gotcha. Well, I don’t need any dumb horses anyway! I got MAGIC 🌠