Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perfection.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1653150714745741312

Here's hoping that it's like the rest of his billion projects in the pipeline, in that it never gets made. I don't outright hate Waititi but I cannot imagine his style working for an Ishiguro book.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Srice posted:

Here's hoping that it's like the rest of his billion projects in the pipeline, in that it never gets made. I don't outright hate Waititi but I cannot imagine his style working for an Ishiguro book.

Next Goal Wins might actually come out now so he had to immediately fill the slot with something else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pirate Jet posted:

Next Goal Wins might actually come out now so he had to immediately fill the slot with something else.

I still can't even wrap my head around how insanely bad his Akira would have been, I am glad he walked away from that so that there's zero chance.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't even wrap my head around how insanely bad his Akira would have been, I am glad he walked away from that so that there's zero chance.

He didn't.

e: lol vvv

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

He's still attached.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He's also doing the incal, there are so many projects

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm hoping Gran Turismo is a one for the studio, one for me type deal for Neill Blomkamp, cause yeah, that looks like something.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's going to turn out he thought he was signing on to remake the Clint Eastwood movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He's also doing the incal, there are so many projects

Taika Waititi is currently attached to:

- Next Goal Wins
- The Incal
- Akira
- Flash Gordon
- A Time Bandits TV series
- What We Do in the Shadows 2
- an untitled Star Wars movie
- and now Klara and the Sun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DAMMIT lol

I did Google but the first result was Bounding Into Comics so I assumed it was bullshit. Imagine a producer seeing Thor: Love and Thunder and being like "get Waititi back on the phone!!!!"

Pirate Jet posted:

- Next Goal Wins
- The Incal
- Akira
- Flash Gordon

Time Bandits I could see him actually doing well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bounding into comics is the comicgate site I believe and absolutely should not be trusted

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bounding into comics is the comicgate site I believe and absolutely should not be trusted

Yeah I didn't even click on the link I just saw the first result saying Waititi was back and that it was coming from Bounding into Comics and was like "Oh clearly this is false" lol

Even looking at the Screenrant (another site I usually disregard honestly) links it seems like the source is just another entertainment reporter saying he thinks Akira will be Waitit's next project, but now a week out from that we know (also from that same reporter) that his next project is Klara and the Sun so, ENTERTAINMENT WRITING FOLKS!!!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 2, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Simplex posted:

I'm hoping Gran Turismo is a one for the studio, one for me type deal for Neill Blomkamp, cause yeah, that looks like something.

With the success of the Mario movie get ready for Neill Blomkamp presents: Metroid

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hollywood Akira will never not be funny. Watching an incredibly animated film and thinking you can make it yours without any of the defining characteristics, just copying the title and some plot points. Same can be said of most remakes but the scale of effort required to potential results for Akira is the funniest.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 2, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mycot posted:

With the success of the Mario movie get ready for Neill Blomkamp presents: Metroid

My dream Metroid movie would still be a quasi-documentary about Chozo history and mythology like Fata Morgana. Like just literally send Werner Herzog and some Metroid accurate costumes and props to Greenland and let him go wild for a couple of months. The only requirements he should be given is that the story should generally be about a bounty hunter named Samus learning all this stuff and that she has cool armor and some random Metroid Prime lore entries to stick to for the narration like "Chronicles of the Chozo Part II" and "Small Energy Refill".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I keep reading that as Chorizo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream Metroid movie would still be a quasi-documentary about Chozo history and mythology like Fata Morgana. Like just literally send Werner Herzog and some Metroid accurate costumes and props to Greenland and let him go wild for a couple of months. The only requirements he should be given is that the story should generally be about a bounty hunter named Samus learning all this stuff and that she has cool armor and some random Metroid Prime lore entries to stick to for the narration like "Chronicles of the Chozo Part II" and "Small Energy Refill".

Is Klaus Kinski still alive, and if so, how do we get him in this movie.

He can be Ridley.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mycot posted:

It'll be the best ultra-safe four-quadrant meta-comedy released all fiscal quarter!!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Herzog: "Bounty hunting is a complicated profession. Don't you agree?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

- Next Goal Wins
- The Incal
- Akira
- Flash Gordon

Next Goal Wins is done and actually coming out this fall.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Is Klaus Kinski still alive, and if so, how do we get him in this movie.

He can be Ridley.

He passed away on November 23, 1991, so no chance.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Look I don't think 30 years is to late to weekend at bernie's it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Srice posted:

I love this book and I agree it seems like an extremely weird choice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pirate Jet posted:

- Next Goal Wins
- The Incal
- Akira
- Flash Gordon
It sounds like he is no longer involved with Star Wars, so you can take that off

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the axe hasn't actually come down on that yet, everyone is just expecting it because it follows the pattern of "Disney impulsively hands out Star Wars movie deal to darling director, cancels it after they publicly disgrace themself" (Taika and Thor 4, Patty Jenkins and Wonder Women 2, Colin Trevorrow and Book of Henry, the game of thrones guys and, you know.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Being dead's never stopped Ridley before so if anything that makes him an even better candidate

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sounds like he is no longer involved with Star Wars, so you can take that off

I think Flash Gordon's probably a no-go too, just because (iirc) that's something he was attached to at Fox before the Disney takeover and there's been no movement on it at all since.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently its filming next year so maybe not!

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
The ideal Metroid adaptation already exists; it’s called “Season 1 of The Mandalorian”

it’s even got Werner Herzog!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Herzog: "Bounty hunting is a complicated profession. Don't you agree?"

The Act of Morphing

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Argus Zant posted:

The ideal Metroid adaptation already exists; it’s called “Season 1 of The Mandalorian”

it’s even got Werner Herzog!

And Taika Waititi to bring these conversations full spiral

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jerkface posted:

Apparently its filming next year so maybe not!
My understanding is that the project is proceeding but he’s not involved with it. This is something that people noticed when they had the big Star Wars Celebration last month.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The real question is will Taika scab? :greencube:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FlamingLiberal posted:

My understanding is that the project is proceeding but he’s not involved with it. This is something that people noticed when they had the big Star Wars Celebration last month.

Thats the lindeloff movie, which he got moved on from. The taika movie is supposed to have taika writing and directing and apparently is gonna film next year???????

quote:

"As for Star Wars," the trade notes, "insiders say he is still excited about the project and committed to direct that next year."

As with any star wars movie, I will believe it when I see it but also Taika has not actually gotten "removed" from star wars

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only thing I wanna see Taika in is an adaptation of The Locked Tomb novels as Jod.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only thing I wanna see Taika in is an adaptation of The Locked Tomb novels as Jod.

Goddamn is that perfect casting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Taika's really good at his thing, but it's really one thing. When he tries to do other stuff, you get, well, 95% of Jojo Rabbit, which has two really good scenes that make you forget that the rest of it is 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas but worse somehow'

Incal is a terrible fit for him, but there's a bunch of super goofy sci fi comic properties he'd do something cool with. Scud the Disposable Assassin or Sinister Dexter would be great. I think you need to start at a goofy idea rather than taking a serious premise and have him, presumably, subvert it. People act like Thor Ragnarok was a real shift in genre but the best bits of both the prior Thor movies were comedic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

The Incal, in my mind, doesn't even work as a live action property. It really needs to be animated in Moebius's style. Also, it feels like way too much to put in just one film, but splitting it wouldn't be a sound decision because the first movie wouldn't be profitable enough, most likely, since not a lot of people have ever heard of it.