Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Admittedly, I did go "wtf 90GB day 1 patch?" when I saw the screen, but yea the 'download speed' quickly blew past the fastest speeds I've ever seen at home and I realized :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

And it was all for me to play 30 minutes of it before uninstalling, lmao. A friend and I were going to try co-op but we're just going to spend our time playing good games we enjoy instead. Thanks gamepass!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Ulio posted:

Looter shooter/SaaS disease. Rocksteady's game will probably get trashed as bad.

But in a way this is good advertisment for Game pass, since the game is bad you don't lose anything you can go check Dishonored or Prey.
I went and looked up what you can play on pass, and while it's $15/mo for the xCloud option, there looks to be a solid list of titles to pick from. I'm not interested in another subscription service, but drat if I'm not tempted. Plus, it seems like you can just install Edge and play it that way. Plus if I'm not near my deck, I can play on my phone or tablet.

Impressive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

unruly posted:

but I don't remember a day 1 patch for Nintendo titles.
They definitely do this, especially for online-multiplayer titles like Splatoon, but they're typically last-minute bugfixes and enabling online functionality instead of, like, half the game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

on the other hand, delivering half of the game as a patch is more common on the switch in general because it lets the publisher get away with using cheaper, lower capacity carts

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

on the other hand, delivering half of the game as a patch is more common on the switch in general because it lets the publisher get away with using cheaper, lower capacity carts
IIRC Switch carts are pretty expensive compared to other media. I forget the exact number, but you get like, a 16gb Switch cart for the same price as a 50gb blu-ray.

Doesn't excuse it, but brings to light why it's so common a practice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's been a few high profile cases where devs have download-required games on Switch when they blatantly could have fit with the largest cart size (I think one of the Mega Man collections?) but that's rare and for a while Nintendo required you to put a giant ugly rear end white banner on your box if it requires a download to play.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

IIRC Switch carts are pretty expensive compared to other media. I forget the exact number, but you get like, a 16gb Switch cart for the same price as a 50gb blu-ray.

Doesn't excuse it, but brings to light why it's so common a practice.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/906055947365310466

at least as of 2017 the breakpoint was apparently 8GB, beyond that it starts getting more expensive to ship on the switch than on the other platforms

the actual cost of pressing a bluray is basically zero compared to a flash-based cartridge, but these numbers include the platform tax that sony/microsoft/nintendo collects

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Kins posted:

For Switch carts I think it's roughly $1/GB, just based on having bought a bunch of Switch games and observing pricing vs. size over years.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's been a few high profile cases where devs have download-required games on Switch when they blatantly could have fit with the largest cart size (I think one of the Mega Man collections?)
I think you're referring to the Mega Man Legacy Collection 1+2 bundle where they put a code in the box for the MMLC 2 download. Really, the issue with it is that it was an early Switch title and "they" hadn't figured out how to put more than one title on a cartridge yet. In contrast, the Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection that just came out does include both MMBNLC Vols. 1+2 on the same cartridge. (Now, why did they have to separate the MMBN games into two volumes is a separate question.)

repiv posted:

at least as of 2017 the breakpoint was apparently 8GB, beyond that it starts getting more expensive to ship on the switch than on the other platforms
There hasn't been that many games that have shipped on 8 GB cartridges with a 8+ GB download. Mortal Kombat 11 is probably the most well known of these.

Most "large" Switch games ship on 16 GB cartridges with downloads required if the game is larger than 16 GB. For third-party games, you can tell they'll commission a single giant print run and then slowly drop the price over a couple of years until they bottom out at $19.99. At that point you can pretty safely assume they're not making any profit but are just trying to clear out inventory. For first-party games, Nintendo rarely makes games that large to begin with. When they do, they tend to commission multiple smaller print runs (relative to sales forecasts) so that they're not sitting on tons of unsold inventory, and then rarely do they ever drop prices. It helps that they control the printing press and can jump the line whenever they want.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i suppose with the way NAND prices have fallen over the last few years it would make sense for 16GB carts to have come down in price (assuming nintendo is passing those savings on to the publishers)

still no sign of the 64GB carts that have been reported on numerous times over the years though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
May Humble Choice is up.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters
Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
Bendy And The Dark Revival
Operation: Tango
Windjammers 2
Builder Simulator
Behind The Frame: The Finest Scenery
The Invisible Hand

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Kins posted:

May Humble Choice is up.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters
Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition
Bendy And The Dark Revival
Operation: Tango
Windjammers 2
Builder Simulator
Behind The Frame: The Finest Scenery
The Invisible Hand

I know that Spiritfarer is supposed to be good/great (also -80% on Steam currently), but what about the rest?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Behind the Frame is visually amazing but somewhat light on the actual gameplay. I think most people will feel the same way about it and GRIS.

Bendy and the Dark Revival is pretty similar to the first game, which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but it fell flat for me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
FYI, Spiritfarer is currently 80% off in Steam so if that is the only game that interests you, it's cheap.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/972660/Spiritfarer_Farewell_Edition/

Edit: I see it was already pointed out, my bad.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Kennel posted:

I know that Spiritfarer is supposed to be good/great (also -80% on Steam currently), but what about the rest?

Daemonhunter was great on release, but I've seen a lot about how the DLC & possibly patches related to the DLC gently caress up game balance in unpleasant ways.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kennel posted:

Windjammers 2 is more Windjammers, if that name carries any weight for people. It's a Dotemu joint (Streets of Rage 4, Wonder Boy) and very much has their house style to it. I have no idea if it successfully maintained a community though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I enjoyed Windjammers 2 for the few days I played it but it's a surprisingly technical game that I really sucked at.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Settlers has been dead a very long time and this game did not succeed in reviving it even a little.

:( It doesn't need to be dead, it just needs to be done by someone who just wants to play Settlers II again and is OK with keeping it simple instead of adding in new mechanics that completely ruin the experience for people who actually enjoy playing Settlers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well it's not called Aspirers.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Mozi posted:

:( It doesn't need to be dead, it just needs to be done by someone who just wants to play Settlers II again and is OK with keeping it simple instead of adding in new mechanics that completely ruin the experience for people who actually enjoy playing Settlers.

Look up Pioneers of Pagonia on Steam and wishlist it. It's coming out later this year and is helmed by the previous lead designer(i think) of the older Settlers games. Not guaranteed to be good, but it seems more in line with the older Settlers formula.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mozi posted:

Have you tried the 10th anniversary edition of Settlers 2? It's a really nice remake: https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_settlers_2_10th_anniversary

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mozi posted:

You and me both. I have such adoration and nostalgia for Settlers 2 (and to some extent Settlers 5) but just about every single game since then has been disappointing or some crappy Ubisoft cash grab.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Owl Inspector posted:

Both of the games I’ve played this year that went for 70 USD outside of gamepass have been categorically half-finished garbage (redfall and wild hearts), and I don’t say that kind of thing about games I play almost ever. Not going to try to extrapolate two cases into a pattern but it’s funny that the increased price tag has only lined up with comically low quality in my experience.

I do not know what happened at arkane but my take that they’ve never made a bad game has finally been upended. what happened over there?
Bethesda bought them in 2010 to turn out shelf trash and despite that and being separated into two independent studios they somehow turned the pitched titles 'Dishonoured' and 'Prey' into actual good games for release before they started delivering on that original purchase.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Sab669 posted:

Is this in reference to Redfall? I saw someone else say this ITT yesterday, I don't think it's accurate -- I also got a "Downloading" screen for another 90 GB when I launched last night, but it was going at like 10x my peak download speeds (400MB on Xbox app instead of 40MB on Steam/Xbox), I suspect it was actually just decrypting the files and the verbiage on the UI wasn't reflecting that. I think steam usually needs to do this too for pre-orders, just that they explain what's happening correctly

Ha no, it was just a general statement :) I have been burned in the past like this with my terrible Australian internet.

I left Redfall downloading while I'm at work so I can witness the trainwreck for myself later tonight.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mozi posted:

Yea that new one I was asking about looks really nice in terms of all the art and style but apparently is so dumbed down and shallow that it's just worthless :(

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

TeaJay posted:

re: Northern Journey- I will recap what I said when I originally played it;

It's a fantastic game, but I bounced off hard towards the end. It bummed me out a lot since it has a perfect atmosphere, characters, interactions.. but the combat set pieces towards the end got really boring to me (especially a certain underwater scene) but I did continue from there. I honestly think that with less combat and just focus on adventure it would've hit 100% for me, but of course YMMV. It's definitely worth checking out though, a single dev project that tries to do something different, and all the designs are incredible. It just didn't click with me towards the end.

And if anyone hasn't played Pentiment or Case of the Golden Idol, get on it immediately!

Just catching up on this and I finally played this based on recommendations from multiple threads.

You are spot on, the first 2/3rds of the game are absolutely fantastic. I got a feeling of atmosphere and sense of exploration that I rarely get in games anymore.

I would say once you get to the climbing glacier level you can stop playing. You've seen the best parts of the game and everything from now is a frustrating slog. I gave up on the flying boss fight on the ledge and just watched the rest. Didn't feel like I missed much.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So have Dead Space and RE4 been the only big launches of the year that haven't had disastrous PC* ports?

*And not just PC from the sound of it a lot of these games aren't doing so hot on consoles either.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mordja posted:

So have Dead Space and RE4 been the only big launches of the year that haven't had disastrous PC* ports?

*And not just PC from the sound of it a lot of these games aren't doing so hot on consoles either.

Dead Island 2 is surprisingly really optimized. I guess if you count that as big.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mordja posted:

Dead Space still gave me some trouble, but it was smooth outside of cutscenes and my issues might have been a genuine case of being below spec rather than a case of poor optimization. RE4 uses RE Engine which seems to be an outlier for PC performance, every game I've played that uses it has been basically flawless. Was even able to turn on the detailed hair effects and set ray tracing to max and the worst I ever got was some very minor frame drops in graphically demanding areas.

I read an article a long time ago which said Capcom develops for PC first and then ports that version to consoles, not sure if that's still the case but it makes sense that they would be at the top of their game while everyone else is churning out completely busted ports one after the other. Sony is the other standout but I think that's more a matter of them actually treating the PC as a serious gaming platform in recent years and investing the time and money to make sure their console > PC ports are functional.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RE Engine does have some weird quirks on PC, their TAA implementation is inexplicably lower quality on PC than it is on consoles

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sony's track record has been mixed though, with some of their games (Horizon, TLoU) coming out pretty jank on PC but as far as I know, they've stuck with them and continued to optimize pretty heavily post-launch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mordja posted:

Sony's track record has been mixed though, with some of their games (Horizon, TLoU) coming out pretty jank on PC but as far as I know, they've stuck with them and continued to optimize pretty heavily post-launch.

I'll sort of give Horizon a pass because it was their first shot at porting to PC. It was absolutely busted on launch and would hard crash to desktop frequently along with other problems, but they were good about releasing regular patches and it had no issues at all when I replayed it a few months back. Their followup releases like God of War and Spiderman ran well from day one so it seems like they mostly learned their lesson. TLoU sounds like its issues stem from Naughty Dog wanting to handle the port themselves despite not really knowing what they're doing, I've been checking it for patches occasionally since I still want to play through it eventually but from what I've read it still has a ways to go.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

repiv posted:

RE Engine does have some weird quirks on PC, their TAA implementation is inexplicably lower quality on PC than it is on consoles

It's true but also 99% of people won't ever notice so I would not put that even in the same galaxy as Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. It's a really good game from the ~5 hours I've played but holy poo poo it stutters all the time for no apparent reason on 5950X/4090.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omega Strikers hit 1.0 recently
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1869590/Omega_Strikers/

It's a 3v3 Windjammers-like that I have been having a ton of fun with lately, especially together with some of my friends.
A big recommend.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Huh, Age of Wonders 4 is out now. Didn't even know this was being made. Not only has it launched with workshop support, but they launched with a few mods made already, like a bigger map for higher player counts. And for the, as this thread puts it, giant pussies out there, there is a mod to replace spiders with potatoes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Steam Deck doesn't stutter in Unreal Engine 4 games over shader compilation. It downloads pre-compiled shaders and uses those. It's funny and frustrating that some big games run perfectly on that, but will stutter no matter how much money you throw at a Windows gaming PC.

Wouldn't it be possible to crowd-source compiled shaders in Windows? Like you get all these gamers who have a thing installed, and have it "sync" shaders for your selected games on your hardware configuration with a server. I get that shaders are affected by CPU model, GPU model, game version, OS version, and probably some other stuff. But even with all that, there is probably another person who has played FFVIIR or Elden Ring with the same specs. You don't even need to do it for every game like on the Steam Deck, just those modern games notorious for stuttering.

It's so simple I'm sure Valve just hasn't thought of it yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

The Steam Deck doesn't stutter in Unreal Engine 4 games over shader compilation. It downloads pre-compiled shaders and uses those. It's funny and frustrating that some big games run perfectly on that, but will stutter no matter how much money you throw at a Windows gaming PC.

Wouldn't it be possible to crowd-source compiled shaders in Windows? Like you get all these gamers who have a thing installed, and have it "sync" shaders for your selected games on your hardware configuration with a server. I get that shaders are affected by CPU model, GPU model, game version, OS version, and probably some other stuff. But even with all that, there is probably another person who has played FFVIIR or Elden Ring with the same specs. You don't even need to do it for every game like on the Steam Deck, just those modern games notorious for stuttering.

Shaders get pretty big so I think doing this would put a ton more strain on Steam's infrastructure. It's already pretty crazy that they're keeping up with it for the Steam Deck.

They're just dependent on game version, GPU, and GPU driver though, right? That'd limit the number of possible configurations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Heran Bago posted:

Steam does actually have that feature in some capacity, but I can't find much information about how it actually works. From what I can tell it only works on OpenGL and Vulkan games. But since a lot of games compile shaders on demand with different permutations of flags and settings, even with caching you might happen into a cache dead zone and still need to compile a shader locally. Plus you can't just accept any random client's shader binary as authoritative, so you'd need some type of consensus for every single possible software/hardware/driver combo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

I believe Steam already tries to do this. That's what those 16 tiny updates for 12 year old games are whenever you launch the client are! Check the Settings menu for Shader Pre-Caching. I think it has its own sub-menu on the non-beta client, and is stuffed in Downloads in the beta client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cool! Glad that's a thing, I'll check it out.

Are those crowd sourced? Like can I opt-in to have it upload my Elden Ring shader cache so it's a better experience for my clones?