Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You inserted a much-later page in the middle of Daily Maintenance, Emzedoh!

Dr. McNinja - Issue #1: "Meet The Doctor and His Friendly Staff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Imgur! You motherfucker

It's in order on my pc and out of order in the imgur album, how did that happen?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Imgur albums sometimes get out of order right after they're made. I remember having that problem a lot while posting Necropolis, and habitually doing something like pressing "rearrange album" and then "save" to double check everything stayed where it was supposed to.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 08:37 on May 2, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, it's why I always label my files such that I can have imgur sort by original filename and not bother with loving around with album order.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I rename my files - I kind of have to, most places I download from have naming systems that don't play nice with sort by name on pc - but this is the first time imgur's done me dirty like this.

Edit: I don't see any sort options in imgur except for manual?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 25th Night: Kakiage (shredded vege and shrimp tempura)

Slightly longer one today.

Wakako-Zake 26th Night: Namayuba (Raw tofu skin)

Fried tofu skin is absolutely killer in hotpot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

Fried tofu skin is absolutely killer in hotpot.
I didn't know that was a thing and dang it sounds tasty

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

I'd be interested to learn how Ludwig picked up a German accent in hell.

From Martin Luther :colbert::catholic:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Emzedoh posted:

I'd be interested to learn how Ludwig picked up a German accent in hell.

Do you think Germans would go anywhere else BUT hell?!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Samovar posted:

"Hell" is the German word for"bright" and it's bright when the sun shines. The sun always shines in Heaven, so that is where we go.

Also, you could never separate a German and their dog.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

I rename my files - I kind of have to, most places I download from have naming systems that don't play nice with sort by name on pc - but this is the first time imgur's done me dirty like this.

Edit: I don't see any sort options in imgur except for manual?

The trick is to go to Images rather than Posts from the landing page - then you get a page with all the images in your account with a lot of options for sorting including by album and by original filename.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Splicer posted:

I didn't know that was a thing and dang it sounds tasty

I tried in vain to find an appetising picture on google image search but look - next time you're in a restaurant that does Chinese style hotpot, check the menu for these characters and you've got maybe 1/3 chance to order what I'm thinking of: 豆腐皮

Deptfordx posted:

Ok, I got a good snicker out of that. It's even slightly plausible given the "What if they were Catholics!?" bit from chapter 1.

Samovar posted:

This is more the kind of riposte I was expecting.

Giant Ethicist posted:

The trick is to go to Images rather than Posts from the landing page - then you get a page with all the images in your account with a lot of options for sorting including by album and by original filename.

Oh god, it's so messy. Just an endless strata of comic posts, all in unnamed albums. Oh man, there's an option to generate bb coded images in blocks, though? I've been doing all those manually, what have I been doing with my life.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Oh god, it's so messy. Just an endless strata of comic posts, all in unnamed albums. Oh man, there's an option to generate bb coded images in blocks, though? I've been doing all those manually, what have I been doing with my life.
Yeah, you have to put them in albums for it to be really navigateable. Fortunately it's not too hard and really does make things much much more manageable in the long run. (Or it could just be that I'm used to it and have Stockholm Syndrome'd myself into liking it that way.)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

It loads a lot faster than post view, that's for sure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grendels Dad posted:

"Hell" is the German word for"bright" and it's bright when the sun shines. The sun always shines in Heaven, so that is where we go.

Also, you could never separate a German and their dog.

Understandable, but I'm sorry, I'm going to have to put my foot down re. Blondi

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: "He had a sword called Ruin, and when he struck it against its armor it made a noise like cold iron that meant death. Five Times Ten Thousand Men did he cleave during the tumult, and tempered his blade again from the iron in their blood. So was the God."

quote:

The Blade

Alt: Ki Rata

quote:

“Many fools admire the Gods, thinking them admirable and wise, praising their virtues, and asking for their boons.

I’ll tell you one thing friend, there ain’t nary a pious farmer who comes up short when it’s time for burnt offerings. He’s always got a lamb ready. He may not know it, but he remembers why the Gods are Gods in the first place.

You can ask for harvests all you like, but never forget they sup on fire and blood.”

– Mars Pallatrix, Belligerent Knight

Alt: Out—out are the lights—out all!
And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, “Man,”
And its hero, the Conqueror Worm.

quote:

Pact

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Pomme de Terror posted:

Wait, does clicking the image not make it bigger in my posts? I've been using the timg tags so the post isn't huge off the bat, but the base images should be decent quality

it does, it just doesn't seem to go big enough that i don't need to lean in a bit to see it. maybe the problem is with my resolution or something? but i don't have the same problem with other comics. :shrug:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

THE DRAW PLAY

Butt Fumble week continues! When we last left Mark Sanchez, he had been traded to the Philadelphia Eagles who are having a hard time deciding which of their crappy backup quarterbacks to make their main man.

Sam Bradford- injury prone, could hardly exist on the football field without injuring something
Mark Sanchez- RUNS. INTO. BUTTS.
Tim Tebow- beloved by a select few for the intensely exciting season he had one time, famously very bad at throwing the ball but somehow still pulling off miracle wins on the back of the incredible defense the denver broncos had at the time.
Matt Barkley- I don't remember much about this guy, can't be a good thing.

I guess the Eagles would eventually choose Sam Bradford to be their starter, and put him through some conditioning training to keep him field ready:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (July 31-August 7, 1937)

Hal Foster's art is great, but one of his weaker points seemed to be staying on target with characters' ages, especially with kids and teenagers. Val looks about 42 in that last panel there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Boba Pearl posted:

Blasphemous Fantasy Saga

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I know a lot of people are, but it's always nice to hear it and know people are engaged.
To be honest, "It’s long as hell, but I love it" is about how I feel about it these days myself.

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

The potion is gross.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Get ready everyone, I’m coming after your favorites, and gassing up my own.

Bitchy Bitch and maybe HotHead

I kind of wish plague rats was still around, because I'd love to get her read on this, but I'll just ask the thread, like what's the... Point, of the extremely angry comics? HH and BB seem to just be angry counter culture that isn't productive, and sometimes just outright harmful for no reason other than the artist is kind of hurting and LGBTQ+. I know times weren't great for LGBTQ+ people then (and lord they're not now,) but I just never got the appeal of sitting down and reading or making the angriest person in the world and then just having the whole world poo poo on them. I've completely fallen off on BB, because if I didn't know the artist was LGBTQ+, I'd think it was a republican rag making fun of how angry radical lefties are all the time. There's a way where people older than like, 30? 35? have seemed to be taught that having an emotion is bad, and that only a disaffected critique of the world can enact true change, and whenever I see it it produces a small amount of bile in the back of my throat. Being unaffected like that is a privilege and not one many can afford. So like I get being angry, but I don't get reveling in it. Like true change comes from action, but if you're angry all the time you're not going to be able to get poo poo done. When I take people to go get their meds, or I'm handing out food, or I'm doing community outreach I'm not sitting their thinking about how mad I am that Cis people want to take my rights from me, I wouldn't be able to function that way.

It doesn’t help that in both the art seems purposefully grotesque.

I feel like the two comics are coming from very different places and have very different goals. In the case of HH at least, it's clear that it's serving as both a power fantasy and a political cartoon that DiMassa is using to draw attention to significant feminist and also queer issues. It's very much femme/queer people versus the cishet patriarchal world. DiMassa provides an outlet in which the reader can vent by seeing HH go out and do the kind of stuff they themselves sometimes might wish they could do. BB, in contrast, is a little harder for me to pin down because we haven't seen as much of it yet. It's mostly about satirizing the queer community itself, while still drawing some focus to the same issues brought up in HH, but whether the scope shifts later or it stays the way it is for the rest of the run I don't really know

My own take on it is that HH definitely filled a niche that no one else was really serving at that time. It's also aged a bit poorly as a result of culture has shifting a lot since then. Society at large is now talking about most of these issues and many people are actively working to address them. Obviously we're still quite far from an egalitarian society but it's not very productive to talk about how penises are the root of all evil and things would be better if we tore them all off

BB has (for me at least) aged a little better because I've known so many BBs in my own life and they're just exhausting to deal with. It's nice seeing a comic that's willing to point out issues within the queer community itself rather than just pretend everyone's views are equally valid and worth supporting. And it's not like the comic is entirely about dunking on BB. BB is a sympathetic character who has the right idea about a lot of things, she just jumps to conclusions far away from reality and fails to see all the positive things happening around her because she's so mired in fear and anger.

In short, HH wants to be the spark that enacts change, and BB wants people to see with unclouded eyes. Diane DiMassa wants people to channel their anger and make stuff happen. Obviously going around murdering people for any little thing isn't a solution, but driven people can find better avenues for their energy. Roberta Gregory wants people to be less lovely, less in their heads, and to look around with a wider view

quote:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Abbadon is a great writer, a technically proficient artist, and is heads and shoulders above almost anyone else in the field. What he has created is unique, breathtaking, and a celebration of a ton of different cultures. I also am incredibly bored, and have decided to stop reading lol. All the stuff I want to see Abbadon skips past, and all the stuff I don’t want to see is lingered on. He just has a completely different vision than I do, and I can accept that something is truly great, while also simultaneously being extremely not for me. Which is sad, because I love the insanely angry dumb buff femme genre.

I'm curious about what you feel Abaddon is skipping over and lingering on too much. Not asking to disagree with you, just asking out of sincere curiosity

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think I just like relationships and drama more, and we get almost none of the interpersonal feelings of these characters. I don't really know what Allison's motivations are, besides "I gotta save this dude." Every fight scene is so many panels that it could honestly be an animated film in it's own right, and then it's time to learn about motivations and relationships, and it's always like "Ah yes, this proper noun mcguffin, goes to that titled rear end in a top hat, and this seven titled rear end in a top hat is actually lord of that circle of something or other," I get lost. I'm really lost, and I was super invested in Cio x Allison, but I don't actually get what their common interests are or why they'd be a good couple, or what that bond would be it seems like Cio saw a hot human girl, Allison saw a hot imp and all thought stopped there, or was trauma bonding. Which isn't super healthy, not that a comic romance has to be healthy, but I just want to see more of them doing normal poo poo, maybe go on a few dates. The skipped training arc would have been perfect to show why that relationship works, what they have for each other, and set stakes. I'm unclear what value they place in each other besides love, and I kind of hate that.

And it's not like abbadon doesn't have the time or effort, he's doing these huge spreads, every panel is meticulously detailed, but I think that this simply isn't a story that really focuses on those interpersonal details. We need a beach episode or something to show what these characters are like on their own when they're not loving or fighting you know? Like I said I fell off, so I'm not entirely clear what the plot is anymore.

But that's just it, it's a great story, it's done it's job wonderfully, it's just not the story I want to read.

Also again, I like pretty over grotesque, so a lot of the designs are squick and don't do much for me. K6BD takers place in a world of heavy metal covers, and I want to read world's designed by Lisa Frank. It's just a mismatch of what I want, vs what Abbadon wants, and it's his story. He's told it excellently.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to see Lisa Frank K6BD.

Kiss Six Billion Dolphins

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to see Lisa Frank K6BD.

Kiss Six Billion Dolphins

That's just Mabel Land

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Tree, please. k6bd by lisa frank, you gotta.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

Every fight scene is so many panels that it could honestly be an animated film in it's own right, and then it's time to learn about motivations and relationships, and it's always like "Ah yes, this proper noun mcguffin, goes to that titled rear end in a top hat, and this seven titled rear end in a top hat is actually lord of that circle of something or other," I get lost. I'm really lost, and I was super invested in Cio x Allison, but I don't actually get what their common interests are or why they'd be a good couple, or what that bond would be it seems like Cio saw a hot human girl, Allison saw a hot imp and all thought stopped there, or was trauma bonding. Which isn't super healthy, not that a comic romance has to be healthy, but I just want to see more of them doing normal poo poo, maybe go on a few dates. The skipped training arc would have been perfect to show why that relationship works, what they have for each other, and set stakes. I'm unclear what value they place in each other besides love, and I kind of hate that.

I think the training arc is pretty clear that it's not necessarily a super healthy relationship. Not like capital P Problematic or anything, but they definitely just sort of fell into it and there are some pretty bad mismatches.

It's interesting that you talk about combat scenes being overly long and detailed. I've always thought that k6bd was very economical with fight scenes compared to the average shounen webcomic. Maybe I'm just comparing it to an earlier shittier era of webcomics.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

last time on boop: mr boop was closed down

now: all the characters are shown in their final moments

mr boop
book 3, 152-164
https://mrboop.net/

()

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel Cio is more Allison's magic teacher and autobiographer with benefits.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Abaddon is not afraid to take KSBD into some seriously dark places. If the current arc is a turn off you should see where the strip is right now, it ain't pretty.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I think I just like relationships and drama more, and we get almost none of the interpersonal feelings of these characters. I don't really know what Allison's motivations are, besides "I gotta save this dude." Every fight scene is so many panels that it could honestly be an animated film in it's own right, and then it's time to learn about motivations and relationships, and it's always like "Ah yes, this proper noun mcguffin, goes to that titled rear end in a top hat, and this seven titled rear end in a top hat is actually lord of that circle of something or other," I get lost. I'm really lost, and I was super invested in Cio x Allison, but I don't actually get what their common interests are or why they'd be a good couple, or what that bond would be it seems like Cio saw a hot human girl, Allison saw a hot imp and all thought stopped there, or was trauma bonding. Which isn't super healthy, not that a comic romance has to be healthy, but I just want to see more of them doing normal poo poo, maybe go on a few dates. The skipped training arc would have been perfect to show why that relationship works, what they have for each other, and set stakes. I'm unclear what value they place in each other besides love, and I kind of hate that.

And it's not like abbadon doesn't have the time or effort, he's doing these huge spreads, every panel is meticulously detailed, but I think that this simply isn't a story that really focuses on those interpersonal details. We need a beach episode or something to show what these characters are like on their own when they're not loving or fighting you know? Like I said I fell off, so I'm not entirely clear what the plot is anymore.

But that's just it, it's a great story, it's done it's job wonderfully, it's just not the story I want to read.

Also again, I like pretty over grotesque, so a lot of the designs are squick and don't do much for me. K6BD takers place in a world of heavy metal covers, and I want to read world's designed by Lisa Frank. It's just a mismatch of what I want, vs what Abbadon wants, and it's his story. He's told it excellently.

Hm, fair enough! Yeah it's not exactly a character-driven story, or at least not in the conventional way. The focus is fundamentally on Allison's own personal growth and development, which is tightly intertwined with the events of the plot happening around her. Character relationships are super important, but they're not the focus and in a way they'll never actually get any downtime to explore things in depth because they just don't have that luxury. Though, I do think that Abbadon does a pretty good job of working within the confines of the narrative. Even this current book, which will later be more action-heavy, heavily revolves around changing character relationships tying directly into dealing with/overcoming the conflicts (internal and external) they'll be facing

But yeah, that's fair, it's just a difference of focus in the types of stories you're into

Also, Lisa Frank KSBD would be amazing

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel Cio is more Allison's magic teacher and autobiographer with benefits.

Pretty much. There's also some obviously unresolved tension that's just waiting to come apart

Youremother posted:

Abaddon is not afraid to take KSBD into some seriously dark places. If the current arc is a turn off you should see where the strip is right now, it ain't pretty.

Yeah I'll probably need to add on content warnings when we get totally caught up. It is quite dark but Abbadon's been pretty good at subverting expectations so curious to see where he's gonna go with this arc. Fortunately by the time my posts get there we'll be well past it

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 18:52 on May 2, 2023

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I feel like Allison doesn't have much of a goal in life, and "I gotta save this dude" gives her one, and she can figure herself out in the meanwhile.

Her and Cio's relationship I don't think is important to the story at all, so if you're after romance I could see how you'd be disappointed. I see their relationship as just a minor expression of Allison maturing as a person.
Honestly the implied sex scenes between them kind of grossed me out because Cio looks like a big blue cockroach, so I'm glad it didn't focus on that stuff. I didn't like the romances in your comic for the same reason- weird non-human people trying to be sexy.

When the anime for K6BD comes out, I'm sure it'll be filled to the brim with training arcs and beach episodes, and everyone will be happy!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I don't remember this part of the Mr Boop saga, it keeps on getting more amazing the more meta it gets.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Chatrapati posted:

I didn't like the romances in your comic for the same reason- weird non-human people trying to be sexy.

When the anime for K6BD comes out, I'm sure it'll be filled to the brim with training arcs and beach episodes, and everyone will be happy!
Hell loving yes.

Yeah, I'm honestly suprised I didn't get more people saying something negative about the monster loving, because I'm like, 100% aware it's probably pretty weird, but I guess I thought it was way weirder than it actually was. Most of the time I'm asking my beta readers "Hey is this weird? This isn't weird right? Is this weird? How weird? Like really weird? Is this crystal fingers weird? Is this fully delitized weird?"

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I'll probably need to add on content warnings when we get totally caught up. It is quite dark but Abbadon's been pretty good at subverting expectations so curious to see where he's gonna go with this arc. Fortunately by the time my posts get there we'll be well past it

Youremother posted:

Hearing that K6BD gets pretty Dark is a bit collar pulling because dark can mean a lot of different things, and I think that's the biggest disconnect with me and K6BD, my comic no matter how like... Edgy? It gets, will probably always be caramel covered popcorn with bright pink sprinkles from beginning to end. I have some important things to say about sex, gender, polycules, and loving monsters (like bad people,) and loving monsters (like being a spider) but I just can't spend all day staring at something so depressing without getting depressed myself.

I want more scenes where Cio goes "I'm a monster Q_Q" and Allison goes, "I know but look at this rose we made with magic, it makes me think of all the times we do [x] together" or some poo poo and they kiss. It's just not that story.

There's a ton of good points here though, and I think K6BD is super awesome. I might try to get back into it if we hit a really cool panel or page or something.

Could I get a TW list though? I have two big ones I avoid for personal reasons sexual assault or forced addiction or anything like that I'm 100% on board. I had to actually skip Taken because of some of the things that happen in it.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 20:01 on May 2, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Boba Pearl posted:

Could I get a TW list though? I have two big ones I avoid for personal reasons sexual assault or forced addiction or anything like that I'm 100% on board. I had to actually skip Taken because of some of the things that happen in it.

You will want to avoid the latest KSBD update, which has both of your primary triggers. A major character details how she was a sex slave for six years and forcibly addicted to alcohol during that time.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

This had been reminding me of something and I just finally placed it: has anyone else read Family Man? Theology and werewolves, good times. I'm not sure it isn't dead though there are more pages up than I remember the last time I checked. I might give it a go once I'm done with Bybloemen, or I might go for the significantly less serious prequel/sequel Bite Me! That one's vampires and the French Revolution.

Anyway, check out the premise here, anyone interested?
https://www.lutherlevy.com/introduction/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wow family guy was really different before the TV adaptation