Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having a think about it and realizing Law of Regression was the first spell I've ever cast in a Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phenotype posted:

Why do people say this when the other piece of wisdom is to stop using Radagon's Soreseal as soon as possible? I thought the % damage taken was too harsh on your survivability to be worth it for Radagon's, so why not for the scorpion charms? Is it just because the 8% magic damage or whatever is more impactful than 20 extra stats?

you mitigate radagon's by wearing a ton of armour

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Why do people say this when the other piece of wisdom is to stop using Radagon's Soreseal as soon as possible? I thought the % damage taken was too harsh on your survivability to be worth it for Radagon's, so why not for the scorpion charms? Is it just because the 8% magic damage or whatever is more impactful than 20 extra stats?

Its not that you stop using the soreseal asap, its that once you get to a certain level its benefits don't outweigh its negatives. 20 extra stats at level 10 is amazing, but not so much at level 80. Its also the reason people will switch from godricks rune to morgotts.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My rule of thumb is that soreseal and/or Godrick's Rune can be discarded once I can do fashion souls without them. I'm usually trying to go after a certain look and then switch one or two pieces to hit a poise breakpoint.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Basically, +12% dmg improves as your stats go up whereas +5 vigor will have a point where the health gained doesn't make up for the lowered defenses. Plus damage boost stacking is really broken because it's multiplicative. You could just as trivially negate it from the soreseal as well, it's just more worthwhile to switch to something else that is either boosting one of those stats directly (+stat talisman or great-jar, etc) or something else entirely.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The scorpion charms aren't worth using.

I dunno, I always felt like I was struggling to find worthwhile talismen to use on my pure faith build and the extra damage is completely negated by just one buff and isn't too bad even without. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

Now using Howl of Shabriri (+25% all damage, +30% damage taken) as your body buff, THAT'S ill-advised but something I can personally report makes the first 40 seconds of any fight exhilarating. Even with that though, it's not like you're getting even 2-shot as long as your vigor isn't horrible

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The multiplicative damage stacking is the thing that tends to get overlooked imo. If you're just using a simple, straightforward smashy or nukey build, the difference between using and not using a scorpion charm isn't really all that stark; your damage goes up a little bit and you take a bit more damage, so it feels like a wash. But if you're already using damage multipliers and buffs and stuff, the effect's a bit more noticeable. It's not as attractive to a character that relies on status buildup or various different damage types (or just mostly physical damage), but there are definitely builds that can benefit from having a scorpion equipped.

This is especially true of sorcerer builds; there's nothing quite like the first time you decide to try going all-in on the glass cannon route, and you strut up to an enemy decked out in the graven-mass and magic scorpion talismans and cast shiny big damage ground and chug your Physick of Bigge Magickes and then proceed to unload some of the most ridiculous loving damage that you have ever managed to inflict

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
yeah the only time I've really used the scorpion charms was when I didn't really want to deal with a boss and just wanted to burst it down with incantations

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That reminds me that in the first few months of Elden Ring's release when I was dabbling in duels I would cast like ten buffs on myself to see if the opponent would get bored and attack, and then throw myself off the balcony.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Finally sat down and got my Platinum tonight, been sitting on it for a few months after I did Frenzied Flame on my 2nd play through. It is so much fun in NG+ being able to run through and be powerful as well as know what I'm doing in fights and such. Feels good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have returned to daggers after finally killing that guy in front of patches' cave and his knife is nuts

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I finally tried multiplayer with Radahn and the game crashed :smith:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

verbal enema posted:

i have returned to daggers after finally killing that guy in front of patches' cave and his knife is nuts

Daggers are kinda bad at straightforwardly killing things by hitting them until hurt point exceed hit point, but they tend to be really loving good at killing things with either status buildup or critical hits

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

critical hits

the amount of times I try to be hot poo poo only to:
1. Not swap to the dagger fast enough
2. Not even get the parry

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you don't use crits fists and claws are a little better than daggers at just deleting a healthbar, in large part because the 2hand powerstance they have means you only need to use a weapon buff once and it applies to every hit of their multi-hit attacks. dex/int using keen claws infused with quickstep and buffed with scholar's armament is a great hyper-aggressive build. if you're fighting big enemies without a foot lockon point you'll have to get used to fighting unlocked or you'll be constantly whiffing into their thigh gap

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fighting unlocked helps a lot in general, its good to be familiar with it. Although I have a lot of trouble using it with some weapons.

Unlocked daggers are fun for taking on groups of soldiers, you can run into the middle of them and keep them all staggered by turning in a circle mid-combo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been playing a confessor start up that I'm going to be taking to level 30 for mp...

Is there something I need to do to get catch flame to hit enemies like tree sentinel or erdtree avatars? Like wtf is up with those hitboxes?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I've been playing a confessor start up that I'm going to be taking to level 30 for mp...

Is there something I need to do to get catch flame to hit enemies like tree sentinel or erdtree avatars? Like wtf is up with those hitboxes?

It's a melee spell, basically Carian Slicer but it does stagger and poise damage. Think like, short sword range but you can use it while jumping, running, and rolling. In that range, it does crazy good damage for very little FP. There's also some enemies that have weird hitboxes for short range attacks, with the Erdtree Avatars being among the worst. The good news is that they hate fire so Flame Sling or basically anything else works, with Flame of the Frenzy shredding them so bad you can kill the dragonbarrow one straight up relatively easy for a shitload of runes as soon as you get it.

Tree Sentinel I'm not sure, jump in and attack in the air to contact its hitbox a bit higher up maybe. I just watched someone kill the Limgrave sentinel first thing and first try with just Catch Flame so it's definitely possible.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

My wife is level 64 and hasn't been able to summon anyone for a while. Is that too high a level for the capitol? Are there just very few people playing? Is there something I can check in the settings?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

My wife is level 64 and hasn't been able to summon anyone for a while. Is that too high a level for the capitol? Are there just very few people playing? Is there something I can check in the settings?

Not sure, but I’m like 89 running around the capital and haven’t had any luck either.

The sewers are absolutely loving up my day so I’ve backed off to do other things.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I can't say my route was particularly normal but it's possible she's under leveled for the capitol. I think I was well over that, but I did most of the avaliable content before touching it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
What’s her highest weapon upgrade (keep in mind that 1 somber = 2.5 regular)? If it’s especially high or low that can reduce the matchmaking pool. Around level 60 I would expect +12 - +17ish weapons. Make sure cross region matchmaking is on for a bigger pool of people to match with. Make sure she doesn’t have a password on. Finally, make sure you’re set to NAT type 2 (if on console, not sure how this works on PC).

Other than that, I feel like it’s been slower than usual in arena and invasions lately too, the game might just be in a lull.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 2, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Malenia heard my grumbling and has upped her game to ~7 waterfowls per phase lol, really just tempting me to summon

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
People taking a break so they feel fresh going into the dlc maybe? Going into dlc when you're burnt out on the game can hinder your enjoyment of said dlc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's prudent advice, but I still need to clear my NG dex/arc run so I have a proper launching point for when it drops!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I figured everyone's really into replaying Zeldas.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Was queueing up via summoning pools in altus/liurnia last night at level 58 with +6/+2 regular/somber weapons. I got a good number of hits, but most were in liurnia. I think by altus people are around level 75 with at least a +9/+3 weapon. In leyndell its probably around 85ish with +10 or so.

I try to go light on weapon upgrades when i co-op, it seems to get more hits.

By the way the summoning pool locations in Altus suck rear end. Almost none are next to bosses.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 2, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

killed placidusax by luring him to the perimeter wall and waiting for the laser spam so I could stand behind and wail on his legs while he fired at nothing

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

On the Placidusax fight in particular, you're lucky this happened compared to the alternative. If you die to Placidusax and kill him at the same time (so it counts), you can't warp back to the arena, because the fight isn't active anymore, so the teleporter doesn't work. You'd have gotten the kill, but missed all the runes + not been able to access the grace ever, or heal the frenzy if you hadn't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOfxMqg775w

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Revins posted:

People taking a break so they feel fresh going into the dlc maybe? Going into dlc when you're burnt out on the game can hinder your enjoyment of said dlc

This is what I did and is why I'm just kicking around on a low stress co-op focused character. Trying to get every summoning pool martyr activated on my way through. About level 70 now.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

Haven't played in over a week, but I was 59 with a +11 or +12 at the very end of Liurnia, Caria Manor, and getting plenty of hits though a little less than when I was around +8. Haven't touched Caelid or Altus Plateau.

So I'd think she was seriously under-leveled, so much that she's not even making the bottom end of people's ranges.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm level 57 in Lyndell and I feel very underleveled. I only beat the Draconic Tree Sentinel because of the "lethal" poison from the serpent bone blade.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Boy playing through ds1 after elden ring is frustrating. Instant death leaves you at fixed 1/2 HP! Checkpoints?? Doesn't seem like poise stuff exists. Other than the less fun crap it's like playing elden ring with everything named differently

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Boy playing through ds1 after elden ring is frustrating. Instant death leaves you at fixed 1/2 HP! Checkpoints?? Doesn't seem like poise stuff exists. Other than the less fun crap it's like playing elden ring with everything named differently

Consecutive curses originally stacked, halving your HP up to.. I wanna say 4x.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

with curse, dusk crown ring, red tearstone ring, and power within ticking down you have the ultimate glass cannon who is also constantly dying

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The dlc is probably like 6+ months away at least, right? Did they give a eta for the armored core game?

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Release date Aug 25

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I watched a video of the original Armored Core and it looks ridiculously hostile to the player in a similar way to what I thought Elden Ring would be like before trying it. Hoping that VI is their “accessible break-out” entry, as with ER.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Given the August AC6 release date I could see ER dlc in like Nov/Dec this year at the earliest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Something I've begun to notice is that this game uses flowers in its worldbuilding. For example, the big battlefield in leyndell is full of red flowers, with white flower around the big impact craters. I'm pretty sure red flowers means someone died in battle and white ones mean someone died instantly or without pain.

Red = died in battle
White = painless death
Pink = Death from murder/torture. Shows up around that windmill village in atlas plateau and in the forest, also in the revenger's shack
Violet = Something to do with ghostflame, usually shows up around skeletons
Blue = these only seem to show up in areas with lots of water like Liurnia so something water related
Yellow = died in grace?
Golden = there's a flower that's different from the yellow one, not sure either
Black = ??? I've only seen black flowers in the graveyard outside the leyndell main gates, the one where all the tombstones have holes in them