Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

dialhforhero posted:

I am really curious about this as I have a 6600 and I get 75 fps average and no hitching. It rarely drips below 60fps even in serious combat or in huge environments.

I play on all high settings but I do play ray tracing off and at 1080p.

Maybe not try to play it with ray tracing at 4k?

So my review is the game is cool and good and a nice sequel to the first one.

"Looks fine on my end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/13eboJo.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft had enough dirt on him during the development of Freelancer, that they were going to report him to WA state law enforcement. They only decided to not go through with it because he promised to step away from the game.

Where can I read more about this?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

This doesn't have that specific claim but if I had to guess it was that Microsoft paid money to Digital Anvil for Starlancer / Freelancer and he in turn put it into the Wing Commander movie: https://gameranx.com/updates/id/70033/article/the-chris-roberts-theory-of-everything/

Also that article is nearly seven years old. Oof.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Didn't he also piss off someone powerful and get himself blacklisted in Hollywood? I seem to remember something about that.

It seems like Lord of War was his one lucky fluke from that time. Also something about selling used cars?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Didn't he also piss off someone powerful and get himself blacklisted in Hollywood? I seem to remember something about that.

It seems like Lord of War was his one lucky fluke from that time. Also something about selling used cars?

since we are on the Chris hate train, which I love by the way lets keep it going

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/smr1js/reminder_that_chris_roberts_was_absolutely/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, yeah, it was Kevin Costner, hahah, I remember now. And it sounds like Chris was pulling the same poo poo he always does, making promises he can't keep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He was a used car sales man at one point? It all starts to make so much sense.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Turns out Kevin wasn't the only one, lots of people and companies sued Chris' film company

Big surprise!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

He was a used car sales man at one point? It all starts to make so much sense.

After I did a quick search for it, I think it might have just been Derek Smart doing a Google search for Chris' (very common) name and assuming it was him because Derek is very stupid and very petty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

After I did a quick search for it, I think it might have just been Derek Smart doing a Google search for Chris' (very common) name and assuming it was him because Derek is very stupid and very petty.

Ooh god Derek Smart lol. Speaking of people that can't ever get games released, or when they do they completely loving suck.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But at least Derek Smart released his "Do anything" video games. Even if they were absolute dogshit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randalor posted:

But at least Derek Smart released his "Do anything" video games. Even if they were absolute dogshit.

Line of Defense was also announced in 2012 sooooo I'd actually say Chris actually has one-upped Derek because at least Chris is actually working on his game

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's fair. In my defense, I thought Line of Defense had shutdown/died, I didn't realize that they had actually done something with it in 2020.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, if you ever needed a reminder about how much of an amoral scumbag :trustme: is, simply recall he thought it would just be a peachy idea to embezzle money from Microsoft into his movie, which was to be distributed by Fox.

norm-macdonald-now-this-might-strike-some-viewers-as-harsh.jpg

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Turns out Kevin wasn't the only one, lots of people and companies sued Chris' film company

Big surprise!

quoting myself but im lazy

there's all sorts of legal entities and company names associated with these various cases, i bet if one digs far enough they would find familiar names popping up allover the place

for example... Ortwin

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
More like Ortlose am I right?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
(500) Days of Sycamore

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Randalor posted:

To be even fairer, that's pretty much inherent in the genre.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Big surprise!

:gary:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Yeah the used car salesman was either a mistake from Derek, or a distorted rumor.

There were rumors, maybe from TheAgent, not sure, that CR was broke and couch surfing for a while. It was around this time when he started a luxury car rental service, but that didn’t last long.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzmJtDZGr0

You can literally smell the fidelity. It smells like toast. Wait, am I having a stroke...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Experimental Skin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzmJtDZGr0

You can literally smell the fidelity. It smells like toast. Wait, am I having a stroke...

actually one of the best 38 seconds of star citizen, holy moley that flight model for 10 years still makes me laugh

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

onesixtwo posted:

actually one of the best 38 seconds of star citizen, holy moley that flight model for 10 years still makes me laugh

You can see a game trying to force its way out of this cluster

If cig and Chris could get out of their own ways long enough it may happen.

But I doubt that , they will continue to fiddle
Iterate and tack greebles onto everything until it simply has no will to live left

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Antigravitas posted:

1MB is 1000 x 1000 Bytes.

Imo let's call it a square byte. A gigabyte shall henceforth be called a byte cube.

This enables us to do a new, geometric approach to computing. Now hear me out, what if instead of having binary transistors representing two states, we make them represent a sine wave

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
It's actually a massive feat that 700 developers can produce zero content for this thread, what can they possibly be doing all day every day?

How big can those trees get?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Abongination posted:

Oh one day you'll see, one day you'll stare in wonder, and cry at the pure beauty, of unimaginably hugeness and complexity of Star citizen trees!

due to physics glitch, tree has 50/50 chance of spinning player into space if you go anywhere near it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Abongination posted:

It's actually a massive feat that 700 developers can produce zero content for this thread, what can they possibly be doing all day every day?

It's weird how the longer it goes on, the less happens. Back when this shitshow began, there was more content in one day than we see now in an entire year.

In my mind's eye I see Chris Roberts beginning a sprint to an impossibly distant location, fully ignorant that he has a bungie cord tied around his waist with the other end affixed to reality itself. The beginning of the sprint appeared to be quick, then it got slower and slower, and now it's hardly moving at all. We've been suspended in that moment of tension for years now, waiting for the moment we know drat well is coming.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

In my mind's eye I see Chris Roberts beginning a sprint to an impossibly distant location, fully ignorant that he has a bungie cord tied around his waist with the other end affixed to reality itself. The beginning of the sprint appeared to be quick, then it got slower and slower, and now it's hardly moving at all. We've been suspended in that moment of tension for years now, waiting for the moment we know drat well is coming.

Reality is going to detach and spring full force into Chris Roberts star citizen fantasy utopia in a most Who Framed Roger Rabbit fashion?

Cos if so I think I might have to nope the gently caress out of reality before that happens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

Before the collision it at least looked almost as good as the VTOL flight model in the original Crysis.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

It's weird how the longer it goes on, the less happens. Back when this shitshow began, there was more content in one day than we see now in an entire year.

It's like a modern Achilles and the Tortoise, except the tortoise is moving at a normal human's walking speed and Achilles is running in the wrong direction.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

dr_rat posted:

Reality is going to detach and spring full force into Chris Roberts star citizen fantasy utopia in a most Who Framed Roger Rabbit fashion?

Cos if so I think I might have to nope the gently caress out of reality before that happens.

CIG is hiring, and I can think of no better way to opt out of reality than that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/BGLeodran/status/1651519644140806144

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

As if those kids are ever going to work at CIG

They are overqualified

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
We started making this game before you were even born. No, we're not done yet.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

Scruffpuff posted:

I imagine it's a reflection of how hard it is to do anything progressive with the "Star Engine", lack of experienced people, tech debt, Judas Tech and the greatest Unknown Unkown ..... Squander 42, all hampering any progress at all.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I'm Embarrassed posted:

I recruited a friend ... He cannot: spawn a ship via an ASOC terminal, it always reverts back to 'Claim'. Access an inventory, infinite cycle. Buy items from any shop, all the screens fail to load an inventory. Tried a fresh install and played on two seperate computers and has same issues. Cookie cutter reply to a ticket. It's embarrassing.

quote:

I invited over 12 people every now and then since all the way back to 2015.. its always a terrible time lol

They all turned around and never looked back

quote:

Same. I invited everyone I knew who I thought would find the game interesting prior to the recruitment program.

Not one of them has stuck around. Talk about doubly embarrassing.

quote:

I stopped even attempting to recruit friends to play SC a few years ago. Every time I did it was the same scenario. They would try Free Flight and have a "terrible" experience.

Their feedback was nearly the same across the board:
  • It's nice to look at, but the lag and slow framerate are not
  • Lack of intuitive game control and features introduction for new players. "I couldn't figure out how to fly, open doors, get missions, use QT, open star map, equip gear, use a med pen, etc, etc."
  • Too many immersion-breaking bugs (distracting/annoying)
  • Combat is boring (too easy)
  • Nearly a 50/50 split "I will just wait to try again after release" or "I won't play again...ever."
Any time I try to discuss the game with my friends, they give me poo poo about playing "that scam game" or their eyes glaze over in extreme disinterest. Literally, none of my family or friends (RL and gaming) have any interest anymore. Those that did, tried it and were immediately turned off in some fashion.

It's loving embarrassing to even try to talk about or mention SC to people outside of the community.
  • Scam Citizen
  • They want how much for ships?! wtf?! Oh, and you can't even use some of them yet?! ROFL!!!
  • Haven't they been alpha-testing forever now? Yeah, that game isn't happening.
  • Vaporware Citizen
  • Internet spaceship simulator for rich middle-aged dudes with no life
  • Pay to win Citizen
  • Spaceship screenshot simulator
  • Squander42
  • Sunk-cost fallacy Citizen
On and on and on. Unfortunately, this is what people think outside of the community.

quote:

I've recruited 2 people and am still embarrassed because of it. Back in 2021 every 3 months we were getting solid and substantial updates. Since I "took a step back" from SC last year- literally nothing has happened. Nothing. I'll pop in occasionally to see what's up but there literally is nothing up. The same tired excuses and this time with a game that works even less than it did before lmao.

The game has gotten worse in every conceivable way due to overtly obvious flaws in the game design of PES- something a first year college student with an old Xbox would be able to tell them would happen and then insert a "GaMe DeV iS hArD" statement from their 15-person strong video team (which takes a 1 month hiatus every 3 months, you know because that's normal for any content creator- to take an entire month to "film stuff" - then when they come back we get more Lorville lmfao, and they even call it "Morville Lorville" like they're trying to mess with us).

The simple truth is that CIG is a company of amazing people and amazing talent but it is not managed in the least. Every step forwards is accompanied by 0.9 steps backwards- teams have no idea what other teams are doing (go read reviews on their Glassdoor). People tend to say that we'll get this game in 10 years but even 10 years is optimistic.

They couldn't even post "This Week in Star Citizen" consistently- which is literally an update about an update. Yet our copium will lead us back here to the Matrix because out there is only the desolate waste that is the Space Sim Genre. In here, we can take the blue pill and pretend there's something coming.

And best of all is, because I dare criticize the company who I gave my money to to produce a product- if you're reading this, come back in a couple hours and it'll be [Removed by XXX-CIG]

quote:

The one person I recruited doesn't talk to me anymore. :pensive:

quote:

I introduced a friend to the game and he has enjoyed it, because he's an adult man who understands this is an alpha in a critical sprint.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
My wife rolls her eyes when I mention SC

Heck i’m too embarrassed to mention it anywhere and I didn’t even back it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

JugbandDude posted:

Heck i’m too embarrassed to mention it anywhere and I didn’t even back it

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Video Games > Star Citizen: They want how much for ships?!

Video Games > Star Citizen: They want how much for ships?! wtf?!

Video Games > Star Citizen: They want how much for ships?! wtf?! Oh, and you can't even use some of them yet?! ROFL!!!

Video Games > Star Citizen: Internet spaceship simulator for rich middle-aged dudes with no life

Video Games > Star Citizen: GaMe DeV iS hArD

...would all be solid titles however this one tickles my :gary: bone the most

Video Games > Star Citizen: The one person I recruited doesn't talk to me anymore

e: lmao that one already taken by the other thread

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 4, 2023