Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

As a pug haver I can safely say that is absolutely not how they react and they'll happily let you do any and all nail clipping and gunk cleaning with excitement as long as you say the magic phrase "want a treat?" before doing it.

snipe tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Inceltown posted:

As a pug haver I can safely say that is absolutely not how they react and they'll happily let you do any and all nail clipping and gunk cleaning with excitement as long as you say the magic phrase "want a treat?" before doing it.

snipe tax

I have seen many, many videos of pugs having screaming meltdowns over trivial things so I cannot accept your unique experience of having sweet angel little puggos who just need gentle hugs and wholesome meals.

(That is a very beautiful wee pug, can you rub their tummy for me? My own small dog really likes to have his tummy rubbed :3)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes I do think that "Inceltown Pug: The Best Pug" is the exception that proves the general rule.

(Amazing pug tho, please give pets on my behalf)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How many of these pug freak out videos have a pug with food being dangled right in front of it's face. My little guy would wriggle around if you tried to come at him without an offering to the belly Gods but the solution is very easy and the sacrifice always readily at hand.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

my cat is norris posted:

today i've learned that norris has cancer. will you please share your cats with me?

I'm very sorry. I hope this idiot helps a bit:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

my cat is norris posted:

today i've learned that norris has cancer. will you please share your cats with me?

Zeppo, Eleanor and Zeppo & Eleanor wish Norris well.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

Rexie (and her new best chonky friend) and the other 5 cats and the 46 quail are here for you and Norris always.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

Holly is sending positive vibes your way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/t8Ar7L5.gifv

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

my cat is norris posted:

I'm sorry, friend. Here is Meatsnack, who went to that great litterbox in the sky at age 28, and Cobalt, the scrub jay I hand raised/rehabbed.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thank you everyone, it makes my heart feel full to see all of your well loved cats (and quails) :unsmith:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hugs to you and yours. I have two +15-year-old cats and can empathize.

One, Noodles, is on the left. Noodles be hangin' in there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/jKLvtJZ.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thank you all for the kind words about norris

here is one of the oldest pics i have of him, from all the way back in 2006! he has always been so cute. (that's hiro beside him, who left us too early and too young because of an enlarged heart.)

here he is a couple of weeks ago, being a sweet angel baby boy:

much has changed for him over the years, but one thing hasn't changed: he still slaps the other cats whenever he's hangry and he thinks they're too close. it always catches them completely by surprise and it's always hilarious. it's never to hurt them! he just likes to slap.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Maybs cute af y'all

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

my cat is norris posted:

thank you all for the kind words about norris

here is one of the oldest pics i have of him, from all the way back in 2006! he has always been so cute. (that's hiro beside him, who left us too early and too young because of an enlarged heart.)

here he is a couple of weeks ago, being a sweet angel baby boy:

much has changed for him over the years, but one thing hasn't changed: he still slaps the other cats whenever he's hangry and he thinks they're too close. it always catches them completely by surprise and it's always hilarious. it's never to hurt them! he just likes to slap.

Norris, if he ever does cross that rainbow bridge, will have his history etched in The GoonCatte Book Of Memory.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

my cat is norris posted:

Bruce and Bats send their love and good vibes.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Polydactyl cats always seem to make use of those extra thumbs for more cuddles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/WJZOqgl.mp4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inceltown posted:

How many of these pug freak out videos have a pug with food being dangled right in front of it's face. My little guy would wriggle around if you tried to come at him without an offering to the belly Gods but the solution is very easy and the sacrifice always readily at hand.
You're not wrong but a vet/groomer's office is just a constant stress trigger for domestic pets. Many of them don't even notice treats when you offer because "oh my god stranger is touching the paw I'm gonna lose my ability to move with the pack time to PANIC!"

Think about it-- going to the vet is a weird torture ritual we do from their perspective. It's relatively rare that they come in with an "oof ouch owie," get treatment that's immediately effective at the removing the "oof ouch owie", and even rarer that the treatment creates an association in their peanut-sized brains that "they removed the off ouch oowie!" Some breeds have better averages and some individual dogs are just well-trained or lucky enough to have a disposition where all the smells, sights, sounds, and textures don't freak them the gently caress out but they're the exception to the general rule, and even then-- no amount of good vibes will make an x-ray or neck blood draw "make sense" to a dog. The only thing that really works is the ravages of old age where they basically come in with a fatalistic sense of "well if this be doomsday" and are pleasantly surprised when the workers just show them all the love possible in the time allotted.

Gremlins marketing getting weird but I'm here for it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong but a vet/groomer's office is just a constant stress trigger for domestic pets. Many of them don't even notice treats when you offer because "oh my god stranger is touching the paw I'm gonna lose my ability to move with the pack time to PANIC!"

Think about it-- going to the vet is a weird torture ritual we do from their perspective. It's relatively rare that they come in with an "oof ouch owie," get treatment that's immediately effective at the removing the "oof ouch owie", and even rarer that the treatment creates an association in their peanut-sized brains that "they removed the off ouch oowie!" Some breeds have better averages and some individual dogs are just well-trained or lucky enough to have a disposition where all the smells, sights, sounds, and textures don't freak them the gently caress out but they're the exception to the general rule, and even then-- no amount of good vibes will make an x-ray or neck blood draw "make sense" to a dog. The only thing that really works is the ravages of old age where they basically come in with a fatalistic sense of "well if this be doomsday" and are pleasantly surprised when the workers just show them all the love possible in the time allotted.

We've solved this problem by taking the dog to the vet regularly. At least once a month. When they don't need to go and making sure he gets treats from us and the staff there when he visits. Despite having had a few visits that weren't a lot of fun for him he still loves going there and will try drag us there if we're walking by because odds on it's for good times and we got his back. Obviously not every dog is going to work this way but it's amazing how much a little conditioning and foresight can solve bigger hassles down the road.

The vet staff either love having a happy dog drop to say hello by or are very good at faking how excited they are to see him too. Everyone wins.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And if people regularly did that then it would probably shoot the average, but they don't, thus you end up with the stereotypes of the original video.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/fit1flg.mp4

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Boop the frogs:

https://i.imgur.com/jv7OIOh.mp4

and one lizard

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Pro tip for dog loving non dog owning people that work in dog friendly offices. (Also probably anyone else)

Keep dog treats in your desk or your pocket. Within 2-3 visits each, my co-worker's dogs now just head straight to my office. I am not above bribery for sweet office dog petting action, and having treat crumbs in your pockets is worth it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Pro tip for dog loving non dog owning people that work in dog friendly offices. (Also probably anyone else)

Keep dog treats in your desk or your pocket. Within 2-3 visits each, my co-worker's dogs now just head straight to my office. I am not above bribery for sweet office dog petting action, and having treat crumbs in your pockets is worth it.

:yeah:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a bag of birdseed in the car for broadly the same reason if I am going anywhere with ducks.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

a game of cat and mouse

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

:goleft:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Amazing that owls can type before they can fly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I just picture that owl laying on its side on the ground, same nonplussed expression.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/sandiegozoo/status/1644456373478989825

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We're fortunate that both current dogs are super friendly and love any chance to see new people. The beagle/ches bay retriever mix loves the attention and treats at the vet. Not real fond of the whole rectal thermometer ordeal. Gives a "Why, daddy?" look. But as soon as it's out, all is forgiven, and he's trying to kiss the tech again. The long-legged dachshund (best description for his mutt rear end!) is fine as long as one of us is there.

He did freak out last time we took him to the groomers. Didn't even make it back home when we got the "Um, you need to come pick up Charlie..." call. But out in public he's amazingly calm and knows how to deal with other dogs, even crawling to puppies. He acted as a therapy dog to my sister in laws new beagle, who had been a rescue from a laboratory. Taught him what being an actual dog is like and brought him out of his shell. Charlie's a good boi, and we're glad we got him from the pound.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I feel like that alpaca, or llama, would try to come over to spit in my face, but would be wheezing after 20 steps and just give up. I also realize that roundness of probably all floof and not indicative of any fat, so if I see an ungulate that looks like that, it is still a good idea to stay away.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Shorb

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TeacherOnTopic/status/1654449744297488386?s=20

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bring back having everyone's last name be their job

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will spell it "Shytposter" and tell people that I'm Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Dick Trauma posted:

I will spell it "Shytposter" and tell people that I'm Dutch.

That'd be Scheitposter or Strontposter.