Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
had been saving NZ season 2 for a rainy day which for reasons was today, and i was watching ep 2 and saw everyone doing up papercrafts to slow the flight of this brussels sprout and i realized that there's a fair few points on the table on this game for someone who knows a couple pieces of practical origami; I know I can make functional cups and structurally sound boxes really quickly among other things

and here i am, languishing at home, never to leverage my taskmaster niche lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
but can you make the fastest duck

the true pinnacle of an arts and crafts background

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

crane, duck, what's the difference :buddy:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

I really like the season as a whole. Even the team tasks aren't all bad because the dynamic of the other team is a nice palette cleanser. Just all the hyper competitive stuff is awful.

It does contain two of my favourite tasks of all time, the one where they have to sneak up on Alex at the railway museum and Joe Thomas proves himself to be a terrifying ninja, and the "make the best thing to engage Toddler Nell", where all the attempts are both extremely good and represent all the contestants personalities perfectly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

had been saving NZ season 2 for a rainy day which for reasons was today, and i was watching ep 2 and saw everyone doing up papercrafts to slow the flight of this brussels sprout and i realized that there's a fair few points on the table on this game for someone who knows a couple pieces of practical origami; I know I can make functional cups and structurally sound boxes really quickly among other things

and here i am, languishing at home, never to leverage my taskmaster niche lmao

Something I've always been curious about with TM is if they deliberately design tasks around the (known) skills of the contestants to try to avoid anything that would give one person a big advantage over the others (i.e. avoiding musical tasks if one of them is a musician). Alex has said in the past that they do deliberately aim for a wide range of skills in the task design so that say, the most athletically inclined person on the show doesn't just dominate the whole thing, but I don't know if this is just a general thing or if they do specifically tailor things to the cast of each series.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I've always been curious about with TM is if they deliberately design tasks around the (known) skills of the contestants to try to avoid anything that would give one person a big advantage over the others (i.e. avoiding musical tasks if one of them is a musician). Alex has said in the past that they do deliberately aim for a wide range of skills in the task design so that say, the most athletically inclined person on the show doesn't just dominate the whole thing, but I don't know if this is just a general thing or if they do specifically tailor things to the cast of each series.

Counter-example: "Show off" on the series featuring Judi Love! I'm only half joking, because I think you have a point that they try not to give a task that's exactly in anyone's wheelhouse. But I also think that sometimes there are tasks that are inspired by a person on the line-up, so long as everyone else can have a fair crack at it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably depends on the series as well, on the podcast some of the guests have talked about having being booked very far in advance, others a lot closer to starting to do actual tasks, some have been potentially booked for one season and then it's fallen through but they've been told "ah you'll be on the next one" or whatever. So like, timing wise they wouldn't always be able to plan the tasks around specific people so they probably do keep them pretty generic as much as possible.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don’t see why they would bother doing that. The points don’t actually matter.

On top of that, outside of rare tasks scored by feats of strength/explicit skill, the person who is most skillful in that area doesn’t often win. Using the music tasks as an example, the overall task winner often isn’t the most musically inclined, because they’re scored on some arbitrary poo poo or just Greg’s whims.

Another good example are the crafting tasks. They’ve had some excellent crafters, but in those tasks they tend to score around the middle because while well executed they’re often less creative because they don’t have to work around the lack of skill.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's always at least one musical task in a series and at least one contestant who can play an instrument or is otherwise musically gifted. They don't always win that task, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phigs posted:

Here's part 1 of the season 15 outtakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFTsq4kYdp8

This was fantastic, thanks! It also autoplayed the S14 part 1 outtakes and I was absolutely crying at the bit that starts 15:41 here:

https://youtu.be/pOnRsjKAUMM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They did set a fairly straightforward "paint Greg's portrait" task to the cast with Noel Fielding in it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

There's a podcast episode featuring the winner of NZ season 2 where they mention that their partner is actually the person who devises/sets most of the tasks for NZ-- I forget the exact anecdote, but the impression I came away with is that they don't really do a lot of matching to skills, but there is some consideration. Less tailoring, more yeah there'll probably be a couple tasks that are eyeballed as being good for you, or having fewer art tasks if no one on the cast is good at them, etc. Just general setup for what they think would make for good TV, that sort of thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the Norwegian taskmaster they had an actor who has been critically acclaimed and won several awards. And yet he got one point on every task that involved acting. He was the one eho was the "depression gnome".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the "is it a throw?" argument. Alex having the time of his life and Greg giving Mae points purely to spite Kiell:allears:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Alhazred posted:

Just watched the "is it a throw?" argument. Alex having the time of his life and Greg giving Mae points purely to spite Kiell:allears:

Pretty sure it was multiple casts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was in the studio audience today for the season 16 premiere! Obv won’t spoil any of the contestants or tasks but it was a really fun time. It’s a very good group and the first proper task especially had me in absolute stitches. There’s a regular task, a team task, and a location task so it’s a lot of variety for a premiere. The prize task included one of the most horrifying items I’ve ever seen.

Studio task took forever due to the nature of it and also cos they finished it and then had a discussion about the rules and ended up doing the last bit a couple extra more times. I know enough about how the sausage gets made with these sort of things but it’s still funny to see like Greg and Alex have to redo a bunch of dialogue by themselves after the contestants have left and the stage get changed around for the studio task and then put back. Really cool warm-up guy too. A couple of standout contestants who are already shaping up to be all-timers. A fun time and I recommend it if you ever find yourself in a position to make it to Pinewood one day but also eat first cos there’s no food lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just open the spoiler* box, you pussy.

*line-up only

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 2, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, spill! Or in PM pls

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tell y’all, it gets leaked to reddit, next thing you know Channel 4 come and break my legs

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Male to Female ratio?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Do they still have a decent "hook" contestant (someone we'll all immediately know) for 16? Not that it's that important for me, I just hope they can still draw in a decent name or two for publicity and get to season 25.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Please don't.
We've managed to go like 15 seasons without having the cast revealed in here this far in advance, all it takes is one dipshit to mess up spoiler tags. Plus if you do list them here in spoiler tags it will just be pages of people discussing stuff behind walls of black boxes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No spoilers, please!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Party Poopers.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Related to TM, I watched through all of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont-Spelling Bee and it was great. I wish I could compete in this one though. I'd clean up on fake points.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RickRogers posted:

Do they still have a decent "hook" contestant (someone we'll all immediately know) for 16? Not that it's that important for me, I just hope they can still draw in a decent name or two for publicity and get to season 25.

Not sure really. There was nobody I was like “oh poo poo!!!!!” but I knew who three of them were. One of them I’ve already forgotten their surname tbh

It’s three women and two men.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Give us hints!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Not sure really. There was nobody I was like “oh poo poo!!!!!” but I knew who three of them were. One of them I’ve already forgotten their surname tbh

It’s three women and two men.

That'll do me!

Besides, won't they announce it soon after season 15 ends anyway ?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Escobarbarian posted:

I tell y’all, it gets leaked to reddit, next thing you know Channel 4 come and break my legs

"Choose one of the objects on the table in front of you. The first item you touch will be the one you will be using during the remainder of the task.

*camera pans to show a cricket bat (actually made of paper mache), a pocket edition dictionary of Shakespearean insults, one pillowcase (filled with foam bricks), another pillow (filled with actual bricks), an egg*

Alex hands them another task

Break Escobarbarian's legs. You have one attempt. Most broken leg bones using smallest objects wins. Your time starts when you catch Escobarbarian."

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Post the names

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
please don't post spoilers; it'll be only a few weeks before they do the official announcement anyway

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Absolutely do not post names imo, what, y'all can't wait 5 weeks?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

there was a task in I think season 2 where they brought in josh widecombe to join the team of two to balance things out, I guess that's one solution.

There have been some team tasks where it seems like having fewer people gives an advantage, so I guess the idea is over the course of the season it sort of balances out

Bringing in a backup teammate might be a good idea - Al Murray always seems to be up for extra Taskmaster and Self Esteem seems like she’d want to come back. But that might distract from the actual contestants.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Five episodes into my first viewing of series 4 and it’s definitely my least favorite so far. The combination of punitive scoring against Hugh while Noel gets many blatantly undeserved high scores is a little too much, even on a show that isn’t really that competitive.

Before this series I liked Noel but now I’m getting sick of his poo poo and hope he doesn’t get handed the golden Greg when it should probably go to Joe

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kaiho posted:

Absolutely do not post names imo, what, y'all can't wait 5 weeks?

No, I can't. I am old and may die before the trailer airs.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Related to TM, I watched through all of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont-Spelling Bee and it was great. I wish I could compete in this one though. I'd clean up on fake points.

yeah I've been watching it too and it's great, I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat who doesn't use spellcheck for anything so I get lots of "im smarter than the tv person" moments and a good comeuppance on one or two words an episode

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was surprised at how bad at spelling most people on the show were, yeah. Comedian is at least a writing adjacent job. Highly recommended.

The only words that really tripped me up were the Maori derived ones. Not because I'm not from New Zealand, but because I'm incredibly racist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowy posted:

Five episodes into my first viewing of series 4 and it’s definitely my least favorite so far. The combination of punitive scoring against Hugh while Noel gets many blatantly undeserved high scores is a little too much, even on a show that isn’t really that competitive.

But that's how the show works?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I was surprised at how bad at spelling most people on the show were, yeah. Comedian is at least a writing adjacent job. Highly recommended.

The only words that really tripped me up were the Maori derived ones. Not because I'm not from New Zealand, but because I'm incredibly racist.

I assume some of it is the pressure of performance, but that can only explain so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hugh was definitely done dirty over and over in Season 4.