Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
do amibo barcode sellers count as :filez: and if not, do I just go on ebay for them or is there a specific place to look for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Spanish Manlove posted:

do amibo barcode sellers count as :filez: and if not, do I just go on ebay for them or is there a specific place to look for them?

If your phone has NFC capability (basically a phone made in the last ten years) you can save a few bucks and buy NFC tokens off of Amazon and use the TagMo app to make your own amiibo tokens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

They sell so many card sets/packs of amiibos that I wonder if Nintendo even cares, there's multiple versions on Amazon everything from what looks like dirt cheap printing to glossy cardstock.

But yeah, you can buy a pack of NFC circles for like $10 and a modern phone can set them all up as amiibo tokens.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Khanstant posted:

The downside to meat is that it always feels weird to make Link kill wild animals just for a couple steakums or hot wings. Meat and Arrows were my big money sinks, if a vendor had either I'm buying em out.

My Hyrule and Horse for some kind of infinite magic arrows.

Why buy meat when durians are free and bananas give a strength bonus, and they're both located right beside the same tower

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Look, if a wolf runs past me, I'm gonna blast him.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Why buy meat when durians are free and bananas give a strength bonus, and they're both located right beside the same tower

Because you need meat to turn those durians into Hearty Prime Meat And Rice Bowls? :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Namnesor posted:

If your phone has NFC capability (basically a phone made in the last ten years) you can save a few bucks and buy NFC tokens off of Amazon and use the TagMo app to make your own amiibo tokens.

I mention this every time NFC tags come up, but double check your phone model's variants before buying any tags. I bought a bunch because my phone was listed as having NFC writing capability, only to find out when I tried it that this was actually disabled for US models.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I bought a big pack of the premade amiibo tags recently for like $14 and my only complaint is that they're so tiny I can barely read what's on them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How many horses are you allowed to have now? And will the cowards finally let you keep a bear at the stables?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The game owns and ugh, getting that feeling of wonder when I look around at the landscape and just think of all of the poo poo that there is to explore makes me a kid again. I honestly thought that I wasn't going to have that same feeling since I played so much BOTW but nope.

The voice acting is absolute garbage though, but that's par for the course.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sigher posted:

The game owns and ugh, getting that feeling of wonder when I look around at the landscape and just think of all of the poo poo that there is to explore makes me a kid again. I honestly thought that I wasn't going to have that same feeling since I played so much BOTW but nope.

The heights involved are just jaw-dropping and frankly way cooler than anything in BotW even, at least to me (and I mean this as a positive about TotK, not a negative about BotW). It also gives you an idea of how big the BotW world itself is. The trailers don't really do it justice IMO.

It's wild standing on one of those gliders a zillion feet above the ground and trying to steer it by (very, very carefully) walking to different parts of it to shift the weight. They really nail the feeling of "flying really high" in a way that I don't think anything else has. I genuinely feel like fear of heights would be a barrier to playing this game; I don't even have that problem and it's still gotten my heart beating pretty fast.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I genuinely feel like fear of heights would be a barrier to playing this game;

Well poo poo, cancelling my pre-order

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

sigher posted:

This is going to sound like such a cliche, but switch to the Japanese VO. It is an enormous improvement across the board, though Zelda and Mipha benefit the most. Zelda's performance especially has cemented the use of Japanese VO in TotK, assuming that's an option. Her English VO is just awful

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Her English VO is so allegedly awful that when people started seeing folks complain that Zelda was reprising her role, the vitriol was so deep that folks genuinely thought it was because her VA had done something controversial and was being cancelled.

(I think it's fine.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Normally I play with the dub if it's remotely competent but the BOTW dub is actually atrocious. There are like two actors who reach the level of "sounds like someone trying to act a character and not just some guy", and one of them is Revali.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

It's so so good

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think I remember seeing something about the English VAs not being told what they were doing work for until after they had signed their contracts so NOA (or whoever) could get away with paying them less, which might've impacted just how much effort they were willing to put into the work. I do think the VA got better in AoC when they would've presumably known ahead of time what they were signing on for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Because they were talking about sticking meat to arrows and weapons and durians don't have meat when killed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think I remember seeing something about the English VAs not being told what they were doing work for until after they had signed their contracts so NOA (or whoever) could get away with paying them less, which might've impacted just how much effort they were willing to put into the work. I do think the VA got better in AoC when they would've presumably known ahead of time what they were signing on for.

I think it's less because of a lack of effort on the VAs and more the deliberate obfuscation from the actors in order to underpay/avoid leaks. Like how Bethesda would give voice actors their lines in alphabetical order.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Well poo poo, cancelling my pre-order

I’ve got a pretty bad fear of heights as well, but if the Sandbird in Mario Sunshine didn’t beat me nothing will.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Alxprit posted:

Her English VO is so allegedly awful that when people started seeing folks complain that Zelda was reprising her role, the vitriol was so deep that folks genuinely thought it was because her VA had done something controversial and was being cancelled.

I do not understand the direction the VA is being given. Zelda's English accent isn't even an English accent? Usually with bad English accents they're either comically overdone (like Austin Powers) and/or drift between various regions (like from Yorkshire to RP and back).

Zelda's VO sounds like what a child imagines what posh people to sound like. It's an American accent but just... Airy. It's so bizarre that it takes me out of every scene she's in.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alxprit posted:

(I think it's fine.)

She has a weird freak voice like she's an NPC in a Fromsoft game and I love it but it's really out of place compared to everyone else. The vague accent is A+

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I feel really bad for the actor honestly. She's either given really really bad direction, which I can imagine as the rest of the cast isn't great either, or she was just plain miscast for the role, and we can see how insanely vitriolic people can get to these actors with stuff like Ada's actor in RE4make. What I've heard so far in ToTK doesn't bother me as much as it did in Breath of the Wild, Zelda sounds less like a warbling bird now, but... yeah.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They definitely get bad direction. Video games as an industry seem to really neglect voice direction. At best they seem to just give them a script and vague direction. Many seem actively hostile to the voice actors in the name of preventing leaks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Icedude posted:

Because you need meat to turn those durians into Hearty Prime Meat And Rice Bowls? :colbert:

Stewed fruit my man. Full heal and maximum bonus hearts.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

They definitely get bad direction. Video games as an industry seem to really neglect voice direction. At best they seem to just give them a script and vague direction. Many seem actively hostile to the voice actors in the name of preventing leaks.

Definitely re: poor direction. The first time I heard an actually good dub of an anime a few years back I was blown away; they can be good and not just in a way where it's so stupid it's funny? And yeah, being so bound up in NDA poo poo like it's a Marvel movie probably doesn't help either.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The heights involved are just jaw-dropping and frankly way cooler than anything in BotW even, at least to me (and I mean this as a positive about TotK, not a negative about BotW). It also gives you an idea of how big the BotW world itself is. The trailers don't really do it justice IMO.

It's wild standing on one of those gliders a zillion feet above the ground and trying to steer it by (very, very carefully) walking to different parts of it to shift the weight. They really nail the feeling of "flying really high" in a way that I don't think anything else has. I genuinely feel like fear of heights would be a barrier to playing this game; I don't even have that problem and it's still gotten my heart beating pretty fast.

Yeah, I had a huge smile on my face when I finally landed the glider. Took a few tries but I got it. poo poo was exhilarating. Seeing this huge world below you and knowing you can do all this crazy physics stuff in it is awesome. The new powers are so neat. Really love it so far.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Zelda's VO sounds like what a child imagines what posh people to sound like. It's an American accent but just... Airy. It's so bizarre that it takes me out of every scene she's in.

lol yeah, it's exactly this. there's like this American cultural memory of what a "proper" English accent sounds like, and it's something we instinctively break out when we have to read Shakespeare out loud or when we play imagination games about kings and queens. That's her exact performance

I didn't realize the actress herself was dealing with so much hate, that really sucks. It's 100% the VO direction, but that person (or group) isn't visible to the average person

mycot posted:

Normally I play with the dub if it's remotely competent but the BOTW dub is actually atrocious. There are like two actors who reach the level of "sounds like someone trying to act a character and not just some guy", and one of them is Revali.

Yeah, Revali is good, and I think Daruk and Urbosa have the right amounts of cheese for their style of character. But Mipha and Zelda are so bad, which sucks because they're such important characters even among the champions, and none of the minor characters sound right to me

honestly it was never so bad as to be distracting, but switching to Japanese just made its weaknesses a lot more obvious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good direction takes time, money, and care. Best to do away with that entirely.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I almost always play with sound off anyway.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Loucks posted:

I almost always play with sound off anyway.

what the gently caress

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Gumball Gumption posted:

She has a weird freak voice like she's an NPC in a Fromsoft game and I love it but it's really out of place compared to everyone else. The vague accent is A+

This is how I feel. She's a weird little freak.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real I did not mind the VA and am kinda surprised how much hate there is for it ITT

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyone worried about being bored of the same Hyrule as BOTW don't be. It is the same but they've changed and added so much we're going to be happily exploring this until the Switch 2 releases in 2030

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be real I did not mind the VA and am kinda surprised how much hate there is for it ITT

Same, especially considering how little Zelda is actually in the game. Maybe in Age of Calamity, but I haven't played a ton of that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember when I thought the Elden Ring Map was going to be small, then I went up the left side of the map as far as I could get and was like oh wow I guess it's a big long skinny map, and then I kept going and oh poo poo it's big, and then they added an underground and some poo poo above and it's like whoa what was I thinking this place is big and full of wonder and horror

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't even know people hated it until just now. I'll try the Japanese voices though cause I'm curious how they sound.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

They sound like your bog standard JP voice cast, along with the most stereotypical old man voices you've ever heard. (Speaking of BotW, anyway. Dunno what TotK is like.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khanstant posted:

I remember when I thought the Elden Ring Map was going to be small, then I went up the left side of the map as far as I could get and was like oh wow I guess it's a big long skinny map, and then I kept going and oh poo poo it's big, and then they added an underground and some poo poo above and it's like whoa what was I thinking this place is big and full of wonder and horror

I'm getting the same vibes from this to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's beautiful (just up in the sky world view shot)