Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah this is def the best aow in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It looks like you can run into duplicates even if you select one of the premades, as I did for my tutorial game.

thanks me for me :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's a small thing but I appreciate that my leader doesn't have to have the same form as my faction. A powerful wizard goblin leading a society of industrial mole-men owns.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boutta get up to no good

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a small thing but I appreciate that my leader doesn't have to have the same form as my faction. A powerful wizard goblin leading a society of industrial mole-men owns.

Its a wonderful thing to see return from the older games.

Also;

:lmao:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Babe Magnet posted:

boutta get up to no good

It's a lovely day in the age of wonders and you are a terrible skeleton

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Impermanent posted:

It looks like you can run into duplicates even if you select one of the premades, as I did for my tutorial game.

thanks me for me :)

DLC idea: Doppelganger Pretender Kings.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just explored an ancient wonder site that vastly outleveled me and would have absolutely crushed my leader, except it gave me the option to sacrifice one of my city pops to the spirits within to clear it without a fight, because I am evil, which I did, and it turns out there was a lich queen inside who was so impressed at how willing I was to throw away the souls of my people that I was able to add her to my recruitment pool :eyepop:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

piL posted:

DLC idea: Doppelganger Pretender Kings.

As I said on discord;

quote:

I really, really hope triumph leans into this with a "Suspicious Leader" goof. Copies the player's (or the highest player in order in multiplayer) and replicates them, as well as gaining a harmless trait of "Who are you... are you... me?"

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My only big complaint so far is that you really should be able to click a unit's banner to select the unit. At least make it an option because it's driving me nuts after a couple hundred hours of Total War.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your leader appears identically to the other leader except for a large general kitchener moustache in a different colour from the rest of your hair. If the other leader already has a moustache then your moustache is attached to the frontmost part of their exisitng facial hair.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So going balls deep on a single affinity via tomes does not seem worth it, as it hampers your Empire Development Tree significantly. You'll still get incidental affinity from world wonders, but my pure Materium run, while fun, does not seem optimal.

Edit: While golems not getting your racial transformations sucks balls, them getting undying at tier 5 makes gold golems hilarious.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 2, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm playing ratmen necromancers and it's extremely good.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OwlFancier posted:

Your leader appears identically to the other leader except for a large general kitchener moustache in a different colour from the rest of your hair. If the other leader already has a moustache then your moustache is attached to the frontmost part of their exisitng facial hair.

Groucho glasses cosmetic

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Was just the story realm thing, which didn't feel too difficult, but I'm happy to have done it. I also felt like the army I had was pretty powerful even though it was mostly basic units, I actually went with tome of beasts as my starting tome (together with imperialists and ancient wise ones) but never really bothered much with animal units or the enhancements to that, but used the mark as prety and other ways to boost my archers who set up behind my shield wall and just picked apart the enemy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't help but restart a whole lot to try out different empire combos

Ratmen barbarians kinda rules and is an extremely strong auto-resolver. Autoresolve seems to use summon abilities on units pretty well so things like the barbarian Houndmaster (ranged unit that summons a dog) is strong for autoing stacks around the map. Also one of the chaos tomes gives a minor race enchantment spell that makes all you units smaller but come in larger squads and deal more damage and it rules with ratmen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is making me want to do the Anbennar races/legendary characters in AoW4. Dak the goblin lich, Jaddar the desert elf prophet, etc.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Did a barbarian halflings with wolf mounts, because it sounded hilarious. (wolf mounted units gain a melee damage bonus for each nearby wolf/wolfrider)

Sadly, it turned out that barbarians don't actually get a mounted melee unit, which kinda took the wind out of the idea.

Oh well, more glory for Willem Hedgeace.

I basically ended you piling in as many mounted archers behind my hero as possible, before he stabbed something real dead

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
I seem to have misplaced a few hours of my life, anyone seen them perhaps?

Despite being extremely sleep deprived I had a rad few hours, game ran solid on my modern mid-range-y system, and though I usually feel easily overwhelmed with early on in strategy games this felt very readable and smooth overall. The way information is presented makes it pretty easy to just follow the game's advice on 'just doing what feels right/roleplaying' and making it mostly work.

2 things I noticed: 1 is that the little map previews of where a quest will spawn are kinda too small to discern their location; made it a little tricky to decide if I wanted to accept a quest or not. And my Halflings make the cutest coquettish "Hey!" sounds when I click on them to have them friendly fire my pikes in the back.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Finished the first Story realm and immediately started a new game in Story Realm 2. Everything's running great so far except for one event that causes my game to crash every time if I choose to help some little rat men, so I unfortunately had to tell them to leave me alone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hey Gerblyn, where is the best/easiest for the team location to do bug reports?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Anybody have a report on how this runs on the deck?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I skipped most of the dev diaries so I could find out stuff for myself. I really like the province boost thing and so far I'm really liking the necromancer souls mechanic, it keeps the fuelled-by-my-enemies feel without the micro fomo.

I also like the focus on temp HP. Having to cycle out units more often is a cheap price to pay to end the age of drawing out fights for recharges. Also the actual amount they heal seems to be pretty hefty so I'm seeing less actual deaths than I expected.

The whole shield wall thing is also pretty cool.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 2, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I am getting the motion sickness thing from the combat camera shooting around which is a bit of a bummer.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Curious how late game turn times end up being, I'm between the min/recommended settings and kinda wondering if I should bother grabbing this before I refresh my machine. Anyone able to play fairly deep yet? I'm on a R7 3700x CPU and a vega 56 GPU.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How's the difficulty settings, I feel like I might be doing too well in the first story realm on Normal but that may also be because I chose to ally with the friendly faction against the obvious bad guy. Might be more of a contest if I chose to tell her to gently caress off instead

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
My computer is old and quirky and the game plays fast and with a polish I haven't seen on a release day game in years. It sounds like this isn't happening for everyone, but it sounds like whatever's going on causing problems it isn't the game being unoptimized.

Gameplay wise, I spent a lot of Quill's stream telling myself he was making mistakes and I could do it better, but now that I'm actually playing I really seem to suck at this game. I think I tend to tunnel vision on things too much and not pay attention to the rest of my empire.

Eschatos posted:

Played a little of the intro on my lunch break. So far quite impressed with the polish, though I gotta say I'm unsure about some of the changes. In particular, all healing being temporary. I do prefer to be able to charge around getting into combat every turn. What options allow for faster strategic map healing? So far all I've seen is the lord of war trait, which of course I grabbed first.

The tier 1 tome of faith or whatever has a world spell that heals an army stack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can also take the body trait during empire creation that makes your units heal for 5hp/turn on the world map - that pretty much eliminates sitting around waiting for heals after battles, outside of one turn here or there after a close fight. Humans and goblins have it by default.

E: this is at least true when playing something fairly beefy, worked for me on goblin highborn, cleared most of the entire (small 4 player) map with my initial 6-stack without losing anyone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 2, 2023

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Love my cannibal barbarian murder frogs. Want to do molemen next.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can someone describe to me what the campaign is like? Something about leaders that you win with ascending to godhood that become NPCs in you next game?

I have a weird relationship with 4X games in general: I always end up wanting to like them more than I actually end up playing them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
slow day at work today. 4 hours in. i am into this poo poo.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

What a banger of a game - the customization is honestly incredible. Kudos to Triumph.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

toasterwarrior posted:

How's the difficulty settings, I feel like I might be doing too well in the first story realm on Normal but that may also be because I chose to ally with the friendly faction against the obvious bad guy. Might be more of a contest if I chose to tell her to gently caress off instead

The campaign pulls its punches as I understand.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love that something as mundane as picking up a stack of gold on the world map can trigger a quest event

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

game of the year

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So I grabbed elemental summoning as the first signature ability on my lord. Uses the full turn, single use, summon a t3 elemental for that fight. I went to do a dungeon I'd been intimidated by now that he was level 5, summoned and got a lightning elemental. Which... can move, then teleport while damaging all hexes surrounding the teleport destination, and can then attack, all in the same round. It turns out that's a really scary set of abilities on a unit you don't care about preserving.

I waited for the enemy to get within (barely) one turn's movement, then had the elemental dash forward, teleport into the middle of the enemy army, hitting a full 6 units with the AoE and pinning all of their support, then started bashing their fragile archer. Meanwhile the rest of my army moved forward and started hitting their now unsupported frontline. By the time the elemental went down two turns later their archer was dead, the front line was destroyed, and it was just a matter of polishing up their remaining support units. Ended up winning an (on paper) equal strength fight with barely any damage.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bremen posted:

My computer is old and quirky and the game plays fast and with a polish I haven't seen on a release day game in years. It sounds like this isn't happening for everyone, but it sounds like whatever's going on causing problems it isn't the game being unoptimized.

Yeah, shame about the people getting crashes but the game runs incredibly well for me. I have a mid-tier PC (Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM) and the load times/turn times are seriously impressive. The game overall is snappy as hell. I've been playing a lot of Total War Warhams recently and in that game even opening menus has a noticeable delay, here everything is lighting fast. It's a joy to play.

Also they managed to fit all of it in a 10 gb download which is amazing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Thyrork posted:

The campaign pulls its punches as I understand.

How is the campaign? Obviously, the real meat here is building a pantheon/custom games/randomized poo poo, but I'm hoping it's got something to it.

There are a few achievements tied to it ( rebuild the Mage Circle/beat the finale level without any allies dying ) which make me wonder. I also ran into Sunderan in the intro level so obviously they are doing some stuff with it.

Look, I liked the dumb campaigns in all the previous AoW games. It's nice sometimes to get a little popup saying I'm a good person for bullying the AI. 3 was extremely fleshed out there, Planetfall felt pretty good. This has 5 Story Realms so I'm eyeballing it a bit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The campaign missions are all on randomly-generated maps. I didn't spend too long playing campaign missions because you run into issues like the 'difficulty' of the map majorly depending on where things spawn - are the quests all clustered together, or are they spread around across every corner of the map?

As far as I can tell all of the metaprogression type stuff happens regardless of whether you are playing the campaign or random maps. The pantheon system applies to both. The campaign is essentially just random maps with pre-selected settings, with some additional story stuff added in.

There are no hand-crafted maps and no map editor in either mode. But the random map generator is very customizable and features lots of cool options similar to the campaign missions that can add a lot of flavor/theming to a map.

e: Even though there's not a meaty campaign, even random maps are absolutely packed with emergent narrative worldbuilding storytelling kind of stuff, lore-fluff quest events, small little RPG mechanics, etc. So it feels like a strong middleground between traditional campaign and skirmish modes. Not sure how well this stands up to repetition yet, though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This right click to do things is going to drive me crazy but I can't stop playing to deal with redoing all the keybinds.