Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Zangief is always a fallback option for me because I legitimately find 720 a lot easier to input than many seemingly simple combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Trust me, the characters season pass + maybe some titty costumes for perverts model fighting games have been on for quite a few years is infinitely superior to the old ways of rebuying the same game every year or two at full price just to essentially play on a current patch.

I really wouldn't expect some proper live service bullshit like a fortnight-esque skin shop and xp boosters and whatnot.

I'll be shocked if they don't do battle passes tbh, they basically already had the idea in SFV with the costumes where you had to unlock them in parts across different weeks (if I'm remembering correctly? I didn't really play SFV after season 2)

But the unlockables were all costumes so I'd expect that still going forwards for any models like that, plus the graphics for your player card and things along those lines

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Evil Canadian posted:

I really didn't have much time so I had to laser focus on stuff I wanted to see + make youtube vids for.

I will say "hard inputs" are kinda a dying breed? Only a handful of characters have charge, they got rid of mash motions, Lily and Hawk are the only 2 characters with 360 motions, and only gief has a 720 motion.

Geif still has 360s. I didn’t play it but the videos flying around YouTube have shown command lists

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So my friends are getting this and tbh I’ve always had a passing interest in fighting games so the Yakuza-style single player is enough of an excuse to get my cash.

That said I’m a total novice, and playing through the multiplayer tutorial I had a hell of a time doing double quarter circle inputs. I’m using a game pad and was trying to use the dpad. Should I try using the stick instead?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

So my friends are getting this and tbh I’ve always had a passing interest in fighting games so the Yakuza-style single player is enough of an excuse to get my cash.

That said I’m a total novice, and playing through the multiplayer tutorial I had a hell of a time doing double quarter circle inputs. I’m using a game pad and was trying to use the dpad. Should I try using the stick instead?

No, never use the analog stick for these games. The game is designed for 8 directions and digital input. Using the stick is less accurate since you can “miss” the direction you are trying to tap, and slower because of the extra travel your thumb has to do

Don’t get down on yourself, if you’re a total newbie to these games it’s gonna take a bit of practice to get these motions down. You’ll get it

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gutcruncher posted:

Geif still has 360s. I didn’t play it but the videos flying around YouTube have shown command lists

Made typo :( Meant to write lily and gief

but yeah thats it for 360s, only 2 chars.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

JP is like all of my birthdays came on the same day.

Decent normals.
A giant list of general screen pollution specials. Highs and lows cover every possible part of the screen.
A reversal super that also let's you convert from literally any hit anywhere on the screen.
Sneaky teleports.
A strike counter that adds more screen pollution.
A super that just gives you four high/low mixups in a row while your opponent has to have a little cry about it.
A loving command grab fireball that looks exactly like a normal fireball.
An air grab.
A different super that let's you kill your opponent for daring to press a button while existing anywhere on the screen.

I guess I have no choice but to forgive Capcom for Thanos-ing my boy Vega, if they're going to give me all of that.
I just hope that he's not OP on launch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope Blanka gets a classic costume at launch alongside the other 8 classic characters because I hate those dopey overalls so much

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jack Trades posted:

Decent normals.
A giant list of general screen pollution specials. Highs and lows cover every possible part of the screen.
A reversal super that also let's you convert from literally any hit anywhere on the screen.
Sneaky teleports.
A super that just gives you four high/low mixups in a row while your opponent has to have a little cry about it.
An air grab.
A different super that let's you kill your opponent for daring to press a button while existing anywhere on the screen.

I guess I have no choice but to forgive Capcom for Thanos-ing my boy Vega, if they're going to give me all of that.

There are three different sentences in this description that have stirred something in my black heart that I didn't think yet lived.

"Command grab fireball that looks like a normal fireball" being a real thing on a real fighting game character is.....

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Double Bill posted:

If SPD is just direction+special with modern controls, Gief is going to be absolutely degenerate in this game. As in, not fun at all to play against at any skill level.

The more I think about it the more it seems like modern controls are going to be absolutely busted, at least on some characters. The damage penalty is pretty negligible and conditional, and the moveset limitations seem pretty variable—if Gief has his cLp or whatever it seems like there’d be very little reason not to play him on modern.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean they still make charge characters charge on modern so I’m assuming they have some solution for 360s, I’m not sure it’s worth preemptively worrying about it too much

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Decent normals.
Sneaky teleports.
An air grab.

There's gotta be a downside, because outside of o.sagat he's probably the best zoner in terms of kit that they've made in a street fighter game? His frame data has gotta be terrible or something

Maybe Alpha 3 v sim is better, but he doesn't even zone so much as just destroy you on every part of the screen (and randomly flip out of combos that he can then teleport away from as a weird combo breaker)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chillgamesh posted:

I played the demo on my PS5 when it came out and I found it almost impossible to do QCFQCF on the dualsense pad.

I will probably be playing it on PC and using keyboard for actual fights while having a gamepad plugged in for World Tour/Hub stuff. Reminds me of the old days where I didn't want to aim with a gamepad in GTA so I would swap to m+kb every time i exited a vehicle lol

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I wanna know now if Manon's anti-fireball pirouette works like Cody's V-Skill. Is it a set number of i-frames against projectiles or does it bypass the projectile as long as it "connects" during the pirouette's active frames

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gutcruncher posted:

A friend of mine had a great computer but was running windows 10 and some old drivers, the game ran like poo poo. I don’t know if it was just the upgrade to win11 or the driver update that fixed it, but it’s worth a try if you have no reason to NEED to stay on Win10

Anecdotal, but I've run the SF6 PC betas and am currently playing the demo on a PC I built nearly a year-ish(?) ago. Modest specs, i5-12400 and a GTX 1660 Ti, an the PC demo runs locked 60 on high settings no problem. The demo is better optmized in my experience compared to the betas where I ran into some frame rate issues. Those issues were remedied by messing with the shader or shadows settings from what I remember, but I didn't encounter the same issue this time around for the demo. I don't think there's a reason to jump from Win10 to Win11 unless you're using newer CPU tech that Win11 takes advantage of.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Skypie posted:

I wanna know now if Manon's anti-fireball pirouette works like Cody's V-Skill. Is it a set number of i-frames against projectiles or does it bypass the projectile as long as it "connects" during the pirouette's active frames

its just regular projectile invincible(although doesn't start on frame 1). You retain projectile invincible status even if you do the attacks rather than just the raw spin.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chillgamesh posted:

Gamepads are 100% viable controllers (if using the d-pad, for the love of God never touch the analog sticks except maybe to rotate camera in World Tour), you're just being bad. That's not a dig, mind you - these games don't really share the control scheme with any other genre so the initial hurdle is building muscle memory from the grounds up. It might not seem difficult on paper but hey, ever saw someone's first attempt at controlling an FPS camera? Thankfully, the World Tour is literally packed with a bunch of minigames and other sly tricks to let you get the hang of it at your own pace.

All of the popular controller types (pads, sticks, hitboxes) are perfectly viable and the differences are 80% personal preference and 20% stuff that won't matter to you for a long time. Having said that, the sticks are technically the worst of them nowadays, mostly enjoyed by boomers who had already spent decades using them (they were good back in the day when games were designed for actual arcade cabinets and that was what the tourneys were played on) and people who just like the vibe.

Gamepads are honestly the default controller these games are coded for and work pretty great, with most weird edge cases being fixable by convenient mapping of the shoulder buttons. Myself, I ended switching to leverless primarily because I eventually found the d-pad to be a little too taxing on my thumb (and because I thought it'll be a fun crafts project).

Leverless controllers are a little weird in that the seemingly difficult parts are a little easier, but in turn it takes a little more time to wrap your head around the basics (like the movement or the fact some of the inputs end up not being symmetrical when performed in different directions). However, the great thing about them is that you can try them out before making an ill-advised FOMO buy by just using the PC keyboard - the only difference between it and dedicated controllers is the physical ergonomics of bigger and slightly more conveniently placed buttons.

PS. My personal tip for learning execution is to always try to go for precision over speed. These games can really pressure you into rushing the inputs sometimes and it's very much possible to just be doing things too fast.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Been listening to all the character themes and I think Gief/JP/Manon/Marisa/Guile/Ken/Jamie have certified bangers. Honestly all the themes are really good (except Juri's blippyboop poo poo) and I'm really digging how gutsy they were in just throwing out all the old themes for new ones. It feels right given all the characters have pretty much "accomplished" previous goals and this game's storyline is in a new chapter.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thanks for all the tips you guys, I think I’ll pick up SF5 while it’s still cheap and dick around a bit to try and get the hang of the basics.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Seems like this one has been designed with a ton of thought for pad users firstso I think no need to buy anything unless u decide ur gettin into it and the spend/space investment is cool with u.

But..if u do get into it I think u should buy a stick because in addition to opening up a million more arcade games to be played the way they were designed, which obviously includes like, the fundamental history of fighting games. it is simply more fun to have a crazy lever that swooshes around while u do moves and big buttons to slam.

This is what they were thinkin about originally. even sf1 had a messed up control scheme because it was essentially designed around getting to slam really big buttons.

Also better for ur hands than a pad & the adjustment to it( I think) incentivizes the right things in improving at a fighting game whereas a pad, due to size, purely digital feel, etc. seems to, at least for me, make it easier to thoughtlessly mash and do pointless quarter circles etc. Pulling back with a lever then pushing forward 2 do a charge move generates more dopamine than pressing teh arrows .
Same reason I will use classic controls even if Modern ends up better tho, so, not exactly an argument from efficiency.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
There is absolutely no reason to buy a stick unless you really like the nostalgia about it or are already a stick player. I say this as someone who has 7 arcade sticks at home.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Release urself from that mindset of self denial and accept that it’s okay 2 have fun with a time tested toy and mimetically access the sense history of gamers b4 you, rather than attempting 2 subscribe to the newly frankensteined smash players white collar fisher price mindset .

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Speaking of controls, though, a question for people who play on gamepad: how do you do EX moves? I've realized I've been reflexively trying to hit the two relevant face buttons with my thumb, and that's... probably not doing it for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of controls, though, a question for people who play on gamepad: how do you do EX moves? I've realized I've been reflexively trying to hit the two relevant face buttons with my thumb, and that's... probably not doing it for me.

It's easy enough to hit lp+lk for throw etc. so I just bind them to L2 and R2

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It’s fun as hell to be a gorilla and slam sanwa buttons

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s fun as hell to be a gorilla and slam sanwa buttons

:yeah:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

is this game like Outer Wilds? I like that game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Aston posted:

is this game like Outer Wilds? I like that game

mostly

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It grinds my gears that 6 face buttons hasn’t been any console’s standard since Saturn. Xbox doesn’t count cuz those two buttons were in silly spots.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I use sticks because my hands get oddly tired playing fighting games on pad, but I don’t experience that with stick at all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

I use sticks because my hands get oddly tired playing fighting games on pad, but I don’t experience that with stick at all

I don't think it's odd; you're gripping the controller, whereas with a stick you're mostly just resting your hands on the thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teagone posted:

I don't think it's odd; you're gripping the controller, whereas with a stick you're mostly just resting your hands on the thing.

Hah this reminds me of when Resident Evil 8 came out and suddenly I had a really bad pain in my arm. Went to the doctor, he couldn't pinpoint what it was, I had to get a brace. That might I went to play and thought "ugh it's hard to play with this brace on" and suddenly I realized that 100 hours in one game in 2 weeks may have contributed to it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This game looks like it's going to be incredibly stressful between all the stuff each character can do and managing your two life bars, and I'm pumped for it. Looking forward to devoting my life to finding a way to delete someone's life bar with Marisa or Manon.

Now to just hope my old rear end PC is up to the task.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
What kind of character is my new main, Marisa?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bleck posted:

Big.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bleck posted:

Nephew went into a bit of detail here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2JjsxuZGI&t=2674s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bleck posted:

Imagine if Little Mac from Smash Bros was a heavyweight.

Marisa is that.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Bleck posted:

She looks like a bulldog character who wants to stay in your face with armored specials and a counter stance. A lot of her moves will just blow through armor too so you can't DI out of her pressure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So for World Tour mode, are y'all going to make avatars of yourself or a nightmare-fueled abomination? Or something else? I think I might make Alita and bring her into the Street Fighter universe. I hope they have cyborg body part items I can buy. :allears: Or maybe I might make someone from Streets of Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You know Alita has been in Street Fighter for three decades, right