Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would not drop it on any of those products. You've just seen the benefit of it.

Ok, but I can’t afford it on all three. So at a push?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Grumbles posted:

Ok, but I can’t afford it on all three. So at a push?

There's a few things you'd have to consider. I'd keep it on the phone, since if you're like anyone else, you can't live without it. So you're down to the iPad and watch. Which one is least likely to drop and break? I'd say iPad. Which one is cheaper to replace? Probably the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can someone recommend a calculator app for iPad? I have an end user bugging the poo poo out of me for one. Needs to be free, no in app purchases, no frills, no sucking up personal data.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

pcalc lite

e: looks like it has themes and tips and poo poo as IAP but you have to go looking for all that in the settings

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 21, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can someone recommend a calculator app for iPad? I have an end user bugging the poo poo out of me for one. Needs to be free, no in app purchases, no frills, no sucking up personal data.

I use this one:
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/calculator-pad-edition/id685860762

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like Calcbot, from the Tapbot folks

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/calcbot-2/id376694347

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I know we all have our favorites, so I’ll suggest mine: Calculator Pro Elite - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/calculator-pro-elite/id782873188

reason: history tape

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I'll have to check those out. Apparently there is no good calculator app that doesn't have IAP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Good apps to know in calculators.

I have used Soulver for literally 10 years now (my job requires a lot of basic quick math so a good calculator is essential), but I guess they’re branching off into iPad and Mac only (no iPhone app currently on the App Store that I see) and charging a fortune for it. Thankfully, I paid like, $3 for the app 10 years ago and it still works for me.

https://soulver.app/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I'll have to check those out. Apparently there is no good calculator app that doesn't have IAP.

Well designed apps with lots of features cost money, yes.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
When using the Files app to connect to a Windows SMB share, does it show thumbnails by default for video and audio files?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Well designed apps with lots of features cost money, yes.

There's no excuse for the iPad not to have a native calculator app though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The General posted:

There's no excuse for the iPad not to have a native calculator app though.

steve jobs saw the iphone calculator on a 10" screen and thought it looked stupid so now there can never be one. that is the excuse, the actual reason

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weaponized Autism posted:

When using the Files app to connect to a Windows SMB share, does it show thumbnails by default for video and audio files?

No:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Thanks for checking. That sucks that it doesn't.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What's the thumbnail for an audio file look like? :v:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

~Coxy posted:

What's the thumbnail for an audio file look like? :v:

I meant more for video. For audio files they'll have the cover art. Anyone know of an file manager app that shows thumbnails?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You could try Jellyfin, but you need to install it onto the server as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think it might for .mov files, and that's it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Minor gripe: I don’t like that the iPad version of the Notes app doesn’t have a Done button (which hides the keyboard after editing). I use it all the time on the phone just to review what I’ve written. Which is more convenient without the keyboard (because of it being in the way, and to prevent accidental inputs).

You can get rid of the keyboard by switching to another note and back, but this resets you back to the top of the note (relevant for longer ones).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you have the keyboard on screen, there's a picture of a keyboard with a down arrow under it, in the lower right. Press that button to get rid of the keyboard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Minor gripe: I don’t like that the iPad version of the Notes app doesn’t have a Done button (which hides the keyboard after editing). I use it all the time on the phone just to review what I’ve written. Which is more convenient without the keyboard (because of it being in the way, and to prevent accidental inputs).

You can get rid of the keyboard by switching to another note and back, but this resets you back to the top of the note (relevant for longer ones).

the bottom right corner button (looks like a keyboard and a down arrow) on the ipad virtual keyboard hides it at any time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is that also there for the mini, swype keyboard?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My iPad Pro 10.5 is getting a bit yellow around the edges of the screen. It's only visible when viewing something mostly white like a webpage, but it's still a little annoying to look at. Is this the kind of thing that would need a full screen replacement or is there an easier (read: cheaper) thing that could repair/lessen this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the Smart Keyboard for the previous model iPads on sale for only $49

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Sm...m=searchResults

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Got a cool new ipad pro 11" which is a very nice upgrade from my OG Air.

what is not very nice is the lack of original smart covers. Not a folio. I do not want or need a full case on this. I just want something that quickly converts into a stand and nothing else.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Got a cool new ipad pro 11" which is a very nice upgrade from my OG Air.

what is not very nice is the lack of original smart covers. Not a folio. I do not want or need a full case on this. I just want something that quickly converts into a stand and nothing else.

The Apple case really can’t be beat OP. Thin as a whisper and durable to boot

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MuadDib Atreides posted:

The Apple case really can’t be beat OP. Thin as a whisper and durable to boot

not into the idea of paying $129 for something that is not exactly what i want.

if thats the only style of case available (ie there is none that connect like the old smart covers on the edge of the ipad) i'll get the ESR case that is one fifth the price.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Laserface posted:

if thats the only style of case available (ie there is none that connect like the old smart covers on the edge of the ipad) i'll get the ESR case that is one fifth the price.

I’m not exactly sure what you are thinking of, but the smart folio it nearly identical to the original iPad Smart Cover, but it also attaches to the back and wraps around one edge (instead of just covering the screen via two hinges). It folds into a little stand just like the old cases. I got mine for about £30 online

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I know how it connects to the iPad Pro. I don't want to add thickness with a cover on the back.

My Old iPad Air had a Smart Cover that connected along the edge. I prefer it that way?

At this stage I'll just 3d print a stand for it to prop it up. It's not gonna leave the house, probably not even gonna leave the couch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It’s super slim on the back. The difference in thickness is imperceptible, the only real difference is in the texture. The smart folio is honestly what you’re looking for.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Laserface posted:

The ESR cases are fine, but the magnets will lose most of their strength in just a year, where if you hold it face down, the cover will let go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cover flapping in the breeze is a key part of the "taking vacation photos with my ipad" energy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

Cover flapping in the breeze is a key part of the "taking vacation photos with my ipad" energy.

You shouldn't be able to see what you're taking a picture of. The iPad is your viewport to the world

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

The ESR cases are fine, but the magnets will lose most of their strength in just a year, where if you hold it face down, the cover will let go.

thats interesting, they claim they are stroner magnets (although thats not the same as durability i guess)

I'll probably just leave the device naked and get one of these for the odd time i do go somewhere and take the ipad.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 2, 2023

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Laserface posted:

I know how it connects to the iPad Pro. I don't want to add thickness with a cover on the back.

It’s no thicker than the camera bump on back. As someone who is Not A Case Person at all, they’re the best I’ve found 🤷🏻‍♂️

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just wanted to vent that I bought an iphone 14 pro recently since my XS died and holy poo poo I can't go back to the screen on my Air. My PC monitor is 180hz so I was used to a higher refresh rate but it didn't bother me on the ipad until I got this phone for some reason. Guess I'll be getting an ipad pro or macbook pro for my next purchase.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funny, 60 bothers me on computers ever since I got a high refresh rate monitor, but on iPad not really. I use power saving most of the time anyway, so I’m rarely at 120hz on my pro anyway.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My wife’s refurbished Air 4 started doing this thing where the screen just showed gray lines, at first intermittently and then constantly. Took it in today and was out of there with a replacement in about 30 minutes. The ease alone made applecare worth the expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Are there any coders here using their iPad as a development environment? Would really love to hear your thoughts about using your iPad and also your setup, both hardware wise and software wise. e.g. do you use the smart keyboard or some other keyboard setup? no keyboard?, do you have your own setup to ssh into or do you use a service, etc...

Thanks.