Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/02/world-chess-championship-ding-liren-china-ian-nepomniachtchi-russia-astana

Ian is pretty salty. Claims his sleeping meds went missing and insinuates that was intentional dirty tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Agreed to disagree. There are innumerable other events where gamesmanship is prized. There are many faster time control tournaments and matches. Having one classical time control event where humans grapple with interesting positions (even if it means 20 moves of theory to get there) is not a big ask. Compromising it via rapid tiebreaks and anemic play is disappointing. Maybe it’s time for me to just stop posting. I’ll check back in later. Enjoy your sport, and may your games be interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/02/world-chess-championship-ding-liren-china-ian-nepomniachtchi-russia-astana

Ian is pretty salty. Claims his sleeping meds went missing and insinuates that was intentional dirty tricks.

quote:

“It’s quite painful,” Nepomniachtchi says. “It’s not enough to be a good player and get good positions. You also have to strike and to deliver. It was unexpected to have such an early lead with such ease and also unexpected to see how underprepared he was, both just playing wise and mentally.

“But despite having no real ideas, or deep preparation, he managed to put up a fight. And I should give him very huge credit for that. In some games he was nearly on the ropes, but managed to play very precisely which saved him many points.”

So with Carlsen insisting he won’t return to try and win back his title, have we entered a new era of chess? Nepomniachtchi isn’t convinced. “I’m not a prophet, but I would like to see Ding playing better than he did here as a world champion,” he says.

Sad to see Nepo being a sore loser.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yes, but objectively, is he wrong? Compared to the usual type of play we see in these matches, and with Ding's collapses, I don't necessarily think Nepo is wrong.

That said, obviously, don't loving say that, and especially not right now, you doofus.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Anias posted:

Agreed to disagree. There are innumerable other events where gamesmanship is prized. There are many faster time control tournaments and matches. Having one classical time control event where humans grapple with interesting positions (even if it means 20 moves of theory to get there) is not a big ask. Compromising it via rapid tiebreaks and anemic play is disappointing. Maybe it’s time for me to just stop posting. I’ll check back in later. Enjoy your sport, and may your games be interesting.

Sounds like you want centaur chess. The ICCF is right here.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Give me my sloppy blunder fest and pass the butter!

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Pretty proud of the move I found here in a recent game - got the ol' "brilliant" annotation on chess.com and my opponent resigned immediately after I played it.

White to move.

Answer:c6

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It is so easy to forget the simplest solutions. One of the biggest weaknesses in my game is forgetting to look at how to attack with my pawns in middle game

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Sataere posted:

It is so easy to forget the simplest solutions. One of the biggest weaknesses in my game is forgetting to look at how to attack with my pawns in middle game

Yeah, it can be tough to remain cool under pressure and really assess the danger some threats pose. I was really glad I remembered that passers should usually be pushed!

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Oooh, that's a nice one.

Answer:c6

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

totalnewbie posted:

Yes, but objectively, is he wrong? Compared to the usual type of play we see in these matches, and with Ding's collapses, I don't necessarily think Nepo is wrong.

That said, obviously, don't loving say that, and especially not right now, you doofus.

guess who else fails to live up to nepo’s standards?

plus ding had a few winning positions that he ended up not converting too, it went both ways

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wondering if there's a chance Hikaru climbs to the top for a championship match in the future. Didn't actually know he rose to no.5 with his wins lately and I'd love to see the guy make it to the biggest stage.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Anias posted:

They should change the world championship to chessboxing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They should change classical chess so you're allowed to trash talk your opponent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Watching Hikaru Nakamura become world champion through the power of screaming "HORSEY TO C5 BITCH? HAHAHAHA gently caress YOU" in every other player's face until they cry

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not sure hikaru is the mentally strongest player either lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

oh no he was just the first one who came to mind when I thought which top player likes to run their mouth

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
chess boxing is the future of chess, i think every serious chess player knows this

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

fart simpson posted:

Well there's at least one top player who pays attention to psychology and order

https://twitter.com/rjrapport/status/1653429239603970049

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/dazi180turtle/status/1653458576621334528?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rollick posted:

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Watching Hikaru Nakamura become world champion through the power of screaming "HORSEY TO C5 BITCH? HAHAHAHA gently caress YOU" in every other player's face until they cry

I think anyone like nakamura or carlsen going into this would be like elon musk buying twitter expecting to be loved

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway, as to the question of 'better or worse chess' I'd encourage people not to think of it like "closer to or further from computer optimal play." When play is criticized for being sloppy or whatever it's not for shedding half points of silicon eval, it's for things like a lack of coherency or thoroughness, or just generally missing ideas a human would be expected to see. As I mentioned in a previous post, the gold standard of 'proper' chess is probably a guy like Ulf Andersson, who was never even really in the title picture. But he's held up because when he played, especially in his good games, with a very coherent set of ideas and a very deep understanding. I suspect that even the 'bad' Ding-Nepomniachtchi games had higher computer accuracy scores than Andersson's best games, but Andersson's games are considered better because they demonstrate a certain type of thematic (and schematic) understanding.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Fabi said back during the Hans saga that he finds the play of the kids these days hard to understand. There's more of a willingness to emulate wild computer lines

sertman
May 23, 2007

If you see me doing anything other than fellating

:allears: MLG players :allears:

then please direct me back to the nearest Halo thread so I can continue to threadshit and make it unbearable to read, TIA!
What an amazing WCC. I figured it'd be an afterthought since Magnus wasn't playing but my goodness. I'm glad the rest of the chess community got invested in this because I haven't felt this stressed watching a chess game since game 10 of Karjakin Carlsen.

The sequence 46...Rg6 47. Qf5 c4 48. h4 Qd3 is such an instructive moment for those who rely on the engine to judge the players. The bar didn't drop until 48. h4 because the completely inhuman 48. Qf4 was possible, but to the naked eye Ian missed that. He didn't, how the gently caress do you even find that. Fabi, Hikaru, and Dubov all immediately recognized 47. Qf5 as the blunder as opposed to h4. I think that's why having the bar without the lines available is so good for chess commentary - reminds me of Starcraft BW where commentators had no information and had to figure it out for themselves. :eng101:

Amazing match, can't wait to see Ding moving forward and exploring his history through the content creators who are rummaging through his games to analyze him cause god knows if I know what's going on. :pseudo:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rollick posted:

Im sorry but I can't just move past this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

Im sorry but I can't just move past this.

it’s really funny

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

I wouldn't have been surprised if Magnus is an andrew tate stan but I wanted Richie to be a nice little weirdoe.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Rapport couldn't participate in the Sinquefield Cup last August because of "US travel restrictions related to Covid 19". (he got replaced by Hans Niemann, recall).

The exact reason wasn't confirmed, but the main restriction at the time was that you had to be vaccinated, so...

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

vyelkin posted:

They should change classical chess so you're allowed to trash talk your opponent.

They should also let you eat cold meals and snacks. No hot meals like chowders or stews or even boiled cabbage or whathaveyou.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
bringing my secret weapon to the world championship: a vintage bag of sun chips

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Give each player a fully stocked kitchen, complete with a stove right next to the board.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Checkmate is worth 1 point, but also a panel of judges decides which player cooked the best three-course dinner during the game, and the winner of that also gets 1 point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Iron Chess. Tonight's ingredients: codfish, and... the Dunst opening!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Leperflesh posted:

Iron Chess. Tonight's ingredients: codfish, and... the Dunst opening!

allez, my queen!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well he's resigned on the board, but the judges loved that sous vide and his chocolate cake got a handshake from Paul Hollywood, so it's another draw and we still don't have a world champion yet.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

White opens with the Ruy Lopez and a lovely ceviche appetizer, and black responds with the Berlin and a flavorful lobster bisque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Finally the Fried Liver's time to shine.