Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

AndrewP posted:

does Redfall have some kind of extra input delay?

I actually still want to play this because I'm just a sucker for Arkane's brand of environmental storytelling but it feels awful to actually play

It does feel kinda weird. Like with some innertia, aiming is not has snapping has with many other FPS games. I don't know if is input delay or other thing.
Has a shooter, it feels below average.

Why does not have matchmaking? is a coop game I can't play coop because I don't have friends in the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s satisfying to see the console world understand PC players were not being elitist about higher frame rates. 30fps should be illegal.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s satisfying to see the console world understand PC players were not being elitist about higher frame rates. 30fps should be illegal.

the only people happy with 30fps are those who have never gotten used to 60+fps and had to go back

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tei posted:

It does feel kinda weird. Like with some innertia, aiming is not has snapping has with many other FPS games. I don't know if is input delay or other thing.
Has a shooter, it feels below average.

There's a setting called "input response preset" that's actually just right stick acceleration, I turned it down to "Low" and it feels better. but the input lag is still horrible and I do suspect it's just the 30 FPS thing.

If they gave you a healthy dose of aim assist it might be bearable but nope. also I hate that I can't pause.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AndrewP posted:

Bethesda leaves no delay behind

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Do we have any idea if MS is selling enough Xbox Series Ss to justify the fact that it's dragging the performance of games on their better system down? It just seems like it's not worth it, but I could be wrong.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arkane games on console always have atrocious input lag. Prey on Xbox One and Dishonored 2 are the worst feeling console FPS I’ve ever played.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah I love most of Arkane's stuff in Dishonored/Dishonored 2/Prey but as soon as they moved past UE3 their games always ran like total rear end

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wanderer posted:

Redfall is pretty much garbage as a solo game and is only worth it if you, like me, like to poke around the map for hours trying to find all the tiny environmental stories Arkane always packs into its level design.

guys this time the writing on the wall in the person's own blood says "STAY OUT OF REDFALL"

i'm crying and clapping

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

re: Redfall (Series X)

every shadow in this game is just constantly shimmering. probably due to the realtime day/night cycle but it's so distracting.

also rampant texture pop-in, seemingly no ambient occlusion so everything just kinda "floats". and I've noticed this weird trail effect when I pan the camera past some objects. this is just from playing the very opening part, I'm not even past the fire station yet.

I blew up a car and the... "explosion" was legitimately PS2-quality lol

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 2, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If your PC has an nvidia card, be sure to update drivers today, they are for Redfall.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

LOL. shot my shotgun up close to a wooden crate (which of course did not deform or splinter) and the smoke briefly brought the game to somewhere around 10fps. on Series X.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AndrewP posted:

I actually still want to play this because I'm just a sucker for Arkane's brand of environmental storytelling but it feels awful to actually play

Probably but i bet what you are feeling is the huge deadzone on the stick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do we have any idea if MS is selling enough Xbox Series Ss to justify the fact that it's dragging the performance of games on their better system down? It just seems like it's not worth it, but I could be wrong.

I dont think its a series s problem i think its a project management problem and this is the fallout of bad decisions made years ago.
The s may be behind a lot of decisions affecting x owners like making them a minority of a minority when devs decide who to cater most to and potentially causing xbox ports to not be as incredible as they could be cause the most players are on the lower spec machine, but theres zero reason arkane couldnt have said in 2019 or whenever this was being pitched "ok this is a mp game and will have lots of repeatable content so this all starts with rock solid performance and slick gamefeel before we do ANYTHING" but alas

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

People should really know better with preordering by now but I guess not

It's mildly funny in light of the pokemon backlash to see that nobody actually learned or cared in the end

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont think its a series s problem i think its a project management problem and this is the fallout of bad decisions made years ago.
The s may be behind a lot of decisions affecting x owners like making them a minority of a minority when devs decide who to cater most to and potentially causing xbox ports to not be as incredible as they could be cause the most players are on the lower spec machine, but theres zero reason arkane couldnt have said in 2019 or whenever this was being pitched "ok this is a mp game and will have lots of repeatable content so this all starts with rock solid performance and slick gamefeel before we do ANYTHING" but alas

I've always thought that all the first-party AAA problems that Microsoft Games are having comes down to project management. For lack of a better way to put it, there's no "standard" there, the studios are all run hands-off, and they just sort of do whatever with MS funding, and it seems like all the studios are held to is a release date. It doesn't help that the head of MS Games is the same guy who drove Midway into bankruptcy.

Compare that with Sony, where...love their games or hate them...it seems like Sony tells it's first-party studios that God of War or Horizon WILL be a showcase for the system, they WILL look good/run at whatever FPS, and whatever help they need they'll get, but it's not up for negotiation. They set a standard to be met.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 3, 2023

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

AndrewP posted:

ZeeBoi posted:

Setting the Input Response Preset to “Low” and the Controller Sensitivity to 3-3.5 seemed to help a little (for me).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Resident Evil 2/4 stays winning

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Honestly I think a lot of what we’re seeing (busted PC ports, unfinished games in general) are the lingering scars of figuring out how to shift from in-person development to remote development under Covid. Combine that with the fact that Microsoft expanded its first party footprint very rapidly in the past few years and I don’t think it’s crazy that quality has been all over the place with their releases (though it is obviously disappointing). Sony is showing that polished first party releases can still happen at a regular cadence in spite of Covid but their first party stable has been an established thing for a long time (whereas MS barely had one prior to 2018).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony is fully coasting on last gens effort now. They just add a few new items and 10 hours of new cutscenes to the same game from 4 years ago and its a hit.
Can the new leadership that inherited this actually innovate in ways beyond advancements in nickle and diming everyone? Remains to be seen

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Last Case of Benedict Fox got a patch and it's wild how much better the game feels. Stuttering's completely gone, as is a lot of the jank. It's still something I'd recommend nullifying the combat for (you can make yourself invulnerable and enemies one-hit nuisances) to enjoy the atmosphere/puzzling/discovery, but now that enjoyment doesn't have nearly as many caveats.

It's interesting to me that less than a week after it comes out it has a patch that fixes a lot of the obviously wrong poo poo. I know it's not how production works, but it feels like if they'd just delayed this thing a liiiittle bit it would've released in a far better state.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

guys this time the writing on the wall in the person's own blood says "STAY OUT OF REDFALL"

i'm crying and clapping

I'm a fan of the caves that just have Cave written all over the place

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they're speaking in latin and are saying be careful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Very nice. Optime benefactum

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’ve redfallen and I can’t get up

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

They had to have been making this game under protest right? Holy poo poo.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Phoix posted:

i was making a joke and they managed to surpass the badness

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Wiltsghost posted:

They had to have been making this game under protest right? Holy poo poo.

I heard people say that it started out as a good game about vampires, but then management made them add all the usual modern game crap and turned it into this trash heap.

Haven't played it, so I'm not sure what "the usual modern game poo poo" is, but I'm assuming poo poo like a battle pass, crafting, awful gunplay, prestiging etc.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I was checking the reviews for Redfall on Steam to see if they'd gotten lower than "Mostly Negative" (not yet) and somehow found myself in the forum. Good God. a bunch of the top posts are complaining about the game being "Woke" because it has a black woman (feeeemale) as a playable character. They of course blame this for the game being a failure.

It's my fault for going to the forums, but if you wanted to know why people never learn and keep buying bad games, here's one of the reasons. They're dumber than rocks.

Changing the subject: How is Sea of Thieves these days for solo play? No one I know is interested in it but I've been wanting to play it for years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Redfall isn't woke at all..... because it puts me to freaking sleep

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Phoix posted:

Lol

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Arkane hasn't made a good game since Mooncrash.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Disposable Scud posted:

Arkane hasn't made a good game

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
So is redfall irredeemable at its core or will it be decent in a few months?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
bloodsuckers? more like buttsuckers!!!!

that's that classic dialogue everyone knows and loves from these great AAA titles

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Haven't played it, so I'm not sure what "the usual modern game poo poo" is, but I'm assuming poo poo like a battle pass, crafting, awful gunplay, prestiging etc.

There's no battle pass, crafting or prestiging at all. Come on, there's a lot to complain about with the game but just guessing and pulling things out of air is loving weird as hell.

Either there will be a patch or two soon that fixes a bunch of stuff or the game will be forgotten in a month. I'd be pissed if I preordered, but I don't pre-order so it isn't a lot of love lost.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

the rat fandom posted:

If it's ever going to be good it will take a year or more of hard work, which I doubt will happen.

I would guess it will get some bugfixing and optimization, maybe some moderate AI improvements, then it's left to rot.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

the rat fandom posted:

I think best case is in a few months it's a medicore game instead of a bad game. There's a ton of stuff that just seems like someone said "gently caress it ship it" and that stuff can probably be fixed at least. Like every ladder I've found in the game doing this when you climb down them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ZpX3EftXU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've played around two hours of Redfall and I wasn't hyped for it but it's generally inoffensive? I haven't had technical issues on PC gamepass which probably helps but it's generally passable, which is more than I expected from the response. It feels like someone made a FPS out of a level from The Secret World which I don't hate, although it was a lot of squandered potential for a high stakes (pun intended) monster hunting game.

I think the biggest issue I've had is the same one that I had with Outer Worlds where you play for 10 minutes and pick up a gun that trivializes every combat encounter.

E. It's also kind of a weird sentiment I've seen a lot where the world isn't atmospheric but also there should be way more enemies in this small town.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

the rat fandom posted:

If the technical issues can get ironed out it’ll be a solid 6/10