Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Danny LaFever posted:

That pro-bowler Jared Goff to yoU!

Neither love nor the packers believe in him so this is the best deal for both sides.

Never forget, Mitch also got to a pro-bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is literally no reason to believe in Love until he’s actually played.

Practices only matter for fans of teams to cope

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Hey when he played the lions he certainly looked like a pro-bowler

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

It would own so much if Love was ok-ish and the Packers got stuck in Mediocre Quarterback Hell for the next 30 years.

We both know he will be in the hall of fame, lets not kid ourselves

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Danny LaFever posted:

Hey when he played the lions he certainly looked like a pro-bowler

Yeah but the Lions had a great defenshahahahahahahahaha

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nervous posted:

Yeah but the Lions had a great defenshahahahahahahahaha

Rocket scientist!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

That pro-bowler Jared Goff to yoU!

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
the boys on the local radio are going fuggin' nuts about Jordan Love.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
What's there to go nuts over? He's had one actual game with little prep time, and a few preseason games. He could be great or could be trash, he's the Mystery Box. I would have said that maybe he's got more pressure to perform than Rodgers did when he took over, but Rodgers already kinda took the sting out of the whole 'dumping a HOF QB' barrier in people's minds.

I'm just interested to see what we have.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

it's basically teh same contract the bears paid for mike glennon (le'mao) adjusted for inflation like its a nothingburger in the qb world.

its fine

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lv8ieUerNs

Lions and Bears draft stuff.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Remember when Matt Flynn played the final game of the season for the Packers that one time against the Lions and threw for 10,000 yards and a bunch of touchdowns and then Seattle got utterly bamboozled into giving him a large offseason contract that was based one that one game where he was playing against the Lions practice squad?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It was only a matter of time after he talked weak poo poo against the Lions leading up to Week 14, and then turned into a pumpkin on gameday.

https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1653549068507832324?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well. There’s this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-WZGx10jg&feature=youtu.be

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Abugadu posted:

What's there to go nuts over? He's had one actual game with little prep time, and a few preseason games. He could be great or could be trash, he's the Mystery Box. I would have said that maybe he's got more pressure to perform than Rodgers did when he took over, but Rodgers already kinda took the sting out of the whole 'dumping a HOF QB' barrier in people's minds.

I'm just interested to see what we have.

He looked very good for the one quarter he was in against the Eagles. He was getting a lot more reps with the first team for all of the offseason and a big part of the regular due to Rodgers' veteran rest days.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

lol

Also, wouldn't Reagor be ineligible for a 5th year option because he's not with his original drafting team?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Abugadu posted:

lol

Also, wouldn't Reagor be ineligible for a 5th year option because he's not with his original drafting team?

That doesn’t matter. Remember when the Panthers picked up Darnold’s fifth year option immediately after trading for him?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gonz posted:

Remember when Matt Flynn played the final game of the season for the Packers that one time against the Lions and threw for 10,000 yards and a bunch of touchdowns and then Seattle got utterly bamboozled into giving him a large offseason contract that was based one that one game where he was playing against the Lions practice squad?

https://twitter.com/mflynn3/status/1475836675070779397

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That doesn’t matter. Remember when the Panthers picked up Darnold’s fifth year option immediately after trading for him?

Huh.

I seem to have memory-holed that one, instead of, say, putting it down as evidence that the Panthers' FO is terrible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gonz posted:

It was only a matter of time after he talked weak poo poo against the Lions leading up to Week 14, and then turned into a pumpkin on gameday.

https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1653549068507832324?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

"Turned into a pumpkin" implies that he wasn't a rotten one already

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think if the original team pays part of the salary they aren't eligible for the 5th year option. Okudah isn't because the Lions retained some.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

The difference between Mitch and Goff is that one was clearly fraudulent and the other was an NVP.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't know how it happens but Packers backup quarterback mitch trubi(n)sky is a thought that just keeps recurring in my diseased brain

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't know how it happens but Packers backup quarterback mitch trubi(n)sky is a thought that just keeps recurring in my diseased brain

it's destiny

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Honestly, over a decade removed from that game I can't really be mad at him. That was his one chance to earn a big payday and he couldn't have capitalized on it any better. We should all be so lucky to have that chance.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

This had me cackling.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Gonz posted:

One of the great "What if?" stories in sports. He was on such a rocket trajectory since being drafted by the Eagles... But then he faced the Detroit Lions. Imagine if he could have built upon the unprecedented success he'd had before that game.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gonz posted:

Matt Flynn earned $19M during his career.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/matt-flynn-3452/cash-earnings/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well, poo poo. I somehow (falsely) remember it being a bigger deal.

Still, that's pretty incredible.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

C-Euro posted:

Honestly, over a decade removed from that game I can't really be mad at him. That was his one chance to earn a big payday and he couldn't have capitalized on it any better. We should all be so lucky to have that chance.

A reminder that being a mediocre/back up QB in the NFL is literally one of the best jobs in the world.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Just to get some context of what’s realistic I went and looked at teams with the worst record, and what they did the next season

2022: Jags 3-14 to 9-8 (and a playoff win)
2021: Jags 1-15 to 3-14 (drafted their franchise QB)
2020: Bengals 2-14 to to 4-11-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2019: Cards 3-13 to 5-10-1 (drafted their franchise QB)
2018: Browns 0-16 to 7-8-1 (thought they drafted their franchise QB)
2017: Browns 1-15 to 0-16
2016: Titans 3-13 to 9-7
2015: Bucs 2-14 to 6-10 (drafted Jameis lol)
2014: Texans 2-14 to 9-7
2013: Chiefs 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss)
2012: Colts 2-14 to 11-5 (and a playoff loss, drafted Andrew Luck who played like a franchise QB)

So what does this mean to me, the eager Bears Goober? Bad teams who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick were usually pretty bad the next season, but I look at the 2016 Titans, a team with a good amount of talent and a QB in place, in a weak conference, who traded down from pick #1 to draft a right tackle, with coaches who were in their second season running the team, and they made it above 500. What if.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It all just comes down to how good Justin is

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

It all just comes down to how good Justin is

As it always was, and always will be. More than anything it just highlighted the difference between having a QB already and not having one. Just based on the past 10 years it’s not unrealistic to think a playoff appearance could be possible

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1653743296668213251

Homie of the year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Well, poo poo. I somehow (falsely) remember it being a bigger deal.

Still, that's pretty incredible.

It was a pretty huge contract at the time, 10 years ago.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

As it always was, and always will be. More than anything it just highlighted the difference between having a QB already and not having one. Just based on the past 10 years it’s not unrealistic to think a playoff appearance could be possible

I know it is technically a year too soon, but if the Bears don't, at the very least, mirror the 2022 Lions, I will consider this season a failure.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sataere posted:

I know it is technically a year too soon, but if the Bears don't, at the very least, mirror the 2022 Lions, I will consider this season a failure.

The Bears are still very bad.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Recreating the 2022 Packers. Great job! :thumbsup:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1635700496085417985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

marcedes lewis is over there too? lmao