Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be real I did not mind the VA and am kinda surprised how much hate there is for it ITT

Same. My friend tapes her audition reels for her other acting gigs and says she is super sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

please don't post spoilers in this thread, use the other thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031055

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Khanstant posted:

I remember when I thought the Elden Ring Map was going to be small, then I went up the left side of the map as far as I could get and was like oh wow I guess it's a big long skinny map, and then I kept going and oh poo poo it's big, and then they added an underground and some poo poo above and it's like whoa what was I thinking this place is big and full of wonder and horror

The Elden Ring world map slowly zooming out as you discovered new areas was a brilliant touch. You keep thinking you've reached the boundaries of the world and then, nope, more map

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
honestly i cant believe people dont like zelda's VA. she's the main reason i have to keep the game in english, i thought she did well :confused:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

honestly i cant believe people dont like zelda's VA. she's the main reason i have to keep the game in english, i thought she did well :confused:

Me to :shobon:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Blaziken386 posted:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The BotW English dub is really bad across the board imo, I can't think of a single performance I liked. I guess they guy doing his best Falco impression was okayish? It's wild to me that NoA got back middle school play caliber performances for the dub and went yeah this is fine. Like why even include VA for the first time in franchise history if you didn't give a poo poo about it actually being well executed? I play using the JP audio and honestly even that sounds kinda phoned in, at least as far as I can judge such a thing as somebody with an extremely tenuous grasp on basic baby Japanese at best.

As per usual with this sort of thing I don't really blame the VA's, they probably just got little to no actual direction beyond getting rushed through the lines so NoA wouldn't have to pay another day's worth of union rates.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Please don't post Leaked Rom spoilers in this thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Revali and Daruk are the only good VA's. Along with Kass

AoC made everyone a bit better though, especially khoga who is just a youtuber for some reason.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tears of the Kingdom was an inside job. :colbert:
You can't fuse steel beams. :tinfoil:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I like Sidon’s voice actor a lot. :shobon: I think they’re all perfectly fine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Revali and Daruk are the only good VA's. Along with Kass

Correct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm someone who almost universally prefers the JP voices (and does in this as well), but I also don't get the problem with English Zelda, even as someone who is usually critical about this stuff. She seems fine to me? Maybe I'm just bad at detecting poor English accents?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
People also seem to really hate Navi's VA in OoT.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean if I'm going to criticize anything about Zelda in BotW it's that she's not given much to do but cry and whine and mysteriously speak to your brain. Not a ton of room for a performance that's anything other than wispy and frail unless you're getting legitimate direction.

Can't really blame the actress for that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The only English VAs I really had a problem with were the King who had to deliver a huge monologue while maintaining his funky accent. Well, and Mipha, but I can't really put into words why. Zelda I thought did a pretty good job for the most part, even if they wanted her to speak in a not-quite British accent.

I wonder if the funky accents were deliberate. It's one thing to have a bad impression of any random British accent, but these sounded more like someone wanted a specific accent that was inspired by RP and it just didn't land.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Electromax posted:

People also seem to really hate Navi's VA in OoT.

It's a classic.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just Andi Now posted:

The only English VAs I really had a problem with were the King who had to deliver a huge monologue while maintaining his funky accent. Well, and Mipha, but I can't really put into words why. Zelda I thought did a pretty good job for the most part, even if they wanted her to speak in a not-quite British accent.

I hate Mipha’s voice and it’s probably why I just don’t like her character in general. My Link canonically friendzoned her to the extreme.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I thought the English VAs were fine, personally :shrug: not great, but not bad enough to distract from the game

Also it seemed to me that they got a lot better in AoC, and I'm really hoping that carries over into TotK - we've already heard Purah's VA from AoC in the cinematic TotK trailer, so I think at least a little bit of AoC's direction will continue in TotK

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She's an alien elf so she should not talk like she's from an island in Europe. She should sound somewhere between the rustling of leaves in a forest and an insect chewing a pudding skin while someone scrapes tin sheets together.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The only one I really didn’t care for was the Gerudo champion who sounded and looked just like my fourth grade teacher who absolutely turned me into her special project and gave me ptsd and I’m still not over it

Like what the hell did I ever do to you Ms Tineanne?!? Did you reall have to knock on our door and complain to my Mom about my sandwiches who the hell does that ugh just get on the camel and go away

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the VAs are fine imo
not amazing but feels like people are really overeager to get performatively angry about voice acting

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Augus posted:

the VAs are fine imo
not amazing but feels like people are really overeager to get performatively angry about voice acting

This last week and a half is hell. Hell!!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

On the one hand the English voice acting is pretty bland but on the other hand Sidon exists so who’s to say if it’s good or bad

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm one of the 6 people who had BotW for WiiU. Will I be missing anything by not having it for Switch?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Chieves posted:

I'm one of the 6 people who had BotW for WiiU. Will I be missing anything by not having it for Switch?

they are identical

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MokBa posted:

they are identical

I meant more in that, ToTK wouldn't do a "hey we read your save data!" style bonus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Augus posted:

the VAs are fine imo

I was thinking earlier that it compares to incels who get very vocal about the flaws they find in perfectly normal looking women.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chieves posted:

TotK gets some stuff from the BotW save but people are still figuring out what besides horses.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope I get to keep my motorcycle

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

TotK gets some stuff from the BotW save but people are still figuring out what besides horses.

Does that include the dummy thicc dark horse?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Winifred Madgers posted:

I was thinking earlier that it compares to incels who get very vocal about the flaws they find in perfectly normal looking women.

Why do people get so weird about stuff like this? It's perfectly fine to not like the voice acting in a game, dropping an incel equivalency feels kind of offputting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The male VAs (except for Revali and maybe the Goron) are just as bad, the one cutscene where the King talks is super bad because he has to get angry but sounds like Just Some Dude

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

She's an alien elf so she should not talk like she's from an island in Europe. She should sound somewhere between the rustling of leaves in a forest and an insect chewing a pudding skin while someone scrapes tin sheets together.

They should have just done the "weird sounds nintendo talk" for all the characters, like in Banjo Kazooie or something. Zelda just being like "wonk wonk wa wonk" and Ganondorf like "grah grah, grah ha!"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Shinjobi posted:

I mean if I'm going to criticize anything about Zelda in BotW it's that she's not given much to do but cry and whine and mysteriously speak to your brain. Not a ton of room for a performance that's anything other than wispy and frail unless you're getting legitimate direction.

Can't really blame the actress for that.

She sounds significantly less wispy and frail in JP is the thing, and that makes a huge difference to the tone of a lot of the memory scenes. She's generally more upbeat / outgoing in her delivery, and her down moments sound more melancholic or even bitter. Even with the same writing it gives the impression of a different personality

I still don't blame the actress, and in fact I blame the direction even more because the tone of a scene shouldn't swing wildly between actresses like that

I don't think anyone is being performatively angry (lol?) and that incel metaphor is a big yikes. The worst thing I can say about the English VO is that it's really flat, but that's still better than being bad. I didn't hate it during my first run through, though I could tell it wasn't really adding anything to the game. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that the JP version had more energy, and that the weakest performances in EN were much better. There's still plenty of clunkers (any old person, also any very young person, Yunobo) but I do wish I had switched to it from the start

and one of the biggest side benefits is that the power recharge vocal reminders no longer scare the poo poo out of me. it never failed that I'd be in this super quiet moment, scoping out a sick vista and enjoying nature, and then Daruk would yell about how his protection is now ready to roll. It's like when inactive Chrome tab starts autoplaying a video while you're browsing SA

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think that the incel comment being really dumb and the badness of the EN dub being overstated can both be true.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
DERRICKS PROTECTION IS READY TO ROLL

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The guardian callout jumpscare is a part of the experience!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031055

yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Khanstant posted:

That is my other issue with her direction as well, tbqh. The 'all fantasy is english' trope needs to die a horrible death.

If you're gonna give them British accents... Maybe try some different ones? I'd love to play a game with Glaswegian or Scouse accents.