Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Isn't Avatar already solidly known as Space-Pocahontas?

It's Space-Dances-with-Wolves imo, but I haven't seen either movie in about 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm sure it's been posted before but: how the heck did Leeloo get past "genocide" and "holocaust" and "nuclear" only for "war" to kill her spirit? Hell if it's a comprehensive future dictionary then "Auschwitz" is right there at the beginning

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe it was a thing for educating children? War was still super brutal tho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

This story needs a love interest. How about Margot Robbie and her gang of clones?

For some reason I'm picturing this in a Gwen Stefani music video.

FFT posted:

"Wave"

Pft, that's a good one. Actually surprising how many sci-fi works will reference Dune while taking place on an ocean planet, like Subnautica having a Stillsuit. Of course, makes sense given the whole point is that Arrakis has the desert work like an ocean with the worms being primarily filter feeders on the sandborne microorganisms.

Alhazred posted:

Keira Knightley playing Natalie Portman and Natalie Portman playing Keira Knightley.

Apparently their own mothers couldn't tell them apart, albeit that's after they're under very heavy makeup and outfits designed to make them blend in with the other handmaidens.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For some reason I'm picturing this in a Gwen Stefani music video.

Pft, that's a good one. Actually surprising how many sci-fi works will reference Dune while taking place on an ocean planet, like Subnautica having a Stillsuit. Of course, makes sense given the whole point is that Arrakis has the desert work like an ocean with the worms being primarily filter feeders on the sandborne microorganisms.

Apparently their own mothers couldn't tell them apart, albeit that's after they're under very heavy makeup and outfits designed to make them blend in with the other handmaidens.

Hmm I feel the simpler explanation is that they both have terrible mothers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Didn't that literally happen in Star Wars where Portman was playing Amidala and Knightley was playing her in-universe body double?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ah, I'm an imbecile.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

eating only apples posted:

I'm sure it's been posted before but: how the heck did Leeloo get past "genocide" and "holocaust" and "nuclear" only for "war" to kill her spirit? Hell if it's a comprehensive future dictionary then "Auschwitz" is right there at the beginning

In my faulty memory she reads about Hate first, then Love later and I don't care to correct it.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

i slept through armageddon, did they ever explain how drilling works in zero grav?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

freemandela posted:

i slept through armageddon, did they ever explain how drilling works in zero grav?

It's left vague, but it's heavily implied to depend on "grit" and "Aerosmith".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The asteroid was big enough to have slight gravity.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Actual :lol:

I remember when this came out on DVD Criterion made a 2 disc edition of this and I picked it up because I had a bunch of their DVDs. Like “It must actually be a good movie” I thought

No it was actually not a good movie and the only redeeming thing about the DVD was Ben Affleck’s commentary telling about when Michael Bay yelled at him to shut up and his impression of Karl from Sling Blade when Billy Bob Thornton had a scene

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Oh, so cocaine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Arrath posted:

While full of rationally irritating moments and squandered potential, I put Valyrian on the other night cause I was couch surfing while feeling like poo poo.

At one point the characters request a status update of the central city-state space station and they get an automated wiki-readout that mentions the station is now '700 million miles' beyond Earth orbit, having been launched away from the planet some 400 years prior.

First its the future who still uses imperial. Second, the station is treated as if its in deep space but that's, like, not even to Saturn?

This movie was so loving bad that i watched the entire thing and I cannot remember a single moment of it. Shame because it seemed like it was gonna be right up my alley, but I should’ve known not to overestimate actual pedophile Luc Besson. There are no “irrationally irritating” moments to this movie, because hating it is extremely rational.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Luc Besson is irrationally irritating me because he seems hell-bent on remaking his good early movies into lovely messes. I am still waiting for his new version of Leon that adheres to his vision of Leon being a cool dude who gets the girl.

He is the ickiest shithead, it's depressing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I watched Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planeta on a plane with no audio, so I had to read subtitles to figure out what was happening. I was also drinking a lot of Jack & Cokes at the same time.

The movie sucked, but I believe that was the best way to watch that film.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I watched Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planeta on a plane with no audio, so I had to read subtitles to figure out what was happening. I was also drinking a lot of Jack & Cokes at the same time.

The movie sucked, but I believe that was the best way to watch that film.

I did this with some Hunger Games / Logan's Run ripoff movie once, only there were no subtitles; I just inserted my own YA dialog. Then I found some headphones and plugged them in, but the actual movie dialog was so bad I went back to watching it without sound.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sounds like Maze Runner or Divergent

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The guards have the audacity to act shocked when their regular arrows don't impede the march of an army of stone statues.

The other members of team Guy are in the movie, but Tenten is not.

No one is bothered by how hot it would be inside a volcano next to actual magma.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

eating only apples posted:

The director's original vision was for "age of consent" to kill her spirit but he was talked down

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mamkute posted:

No one is bothered by how hot it would be inside a volcano next to actual magma.

This happens all the goddamn time in movies (and TV and video games and), so much so that the list of counterexamples is probably shorter

Like Metroid games using it as a pacing thing forcing you to get the Varia suit

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In the movie Volcano there are reporters putting their hands directly over molten lava in the middle of Rodeo Drive yelling “You have no idea how hot this is!”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In the movie Volcano there are reporters putting their hands directly over molten lava in the middle of Rodeo Drive yelling “You have no idea how hot this is!”

It's ridiculous, but I love it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Or when the transit official is carrying out the unconscious train driver. The metal supports are melting but the guy can still breathe.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You mean when Drew Carey's brother heroically sacrifices himself?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arrath posted:

You mean when Drew Carey's brother heroically sacrifices himself?

Oh yeah, that is him!

Iirc, he was the guy who said there was no reason to shut down the subway earlier in the movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, and his gimmick was that he was covered in nicotine patches and chewing the gum as well.

Oh, and Tommy Lee Jones as the head of OEM in Los Angeles has to ask Anne Heche what magma is.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, and his gimmick was that he was covered in nicotine patches and chewing the gum as well.

Oh, and Tommy Lee Jones as the head of OEM in Los Angeles has to ask Anne Heche what magma is.

Those two characters have so much chemistry

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Dante’s Peak came out the same year to compete with it if I recall

VOLCANOES!!!!! :argh::kingsley:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That happened a lot in the nineties. Armageddon and Deep Impact, Bug’s Life and Antz, Mission to Mars and Red Planet, etc. They even made competing movies about loving Steve Prefontaine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cat Hassler posted:

Dante’s Peak came out the same year to compete with it if I recall

VOLCANOES!!!!! :argh::kingsley:

It was. I thought it was the better of the two, but either I don't think there's been such a good year for volcanoes in film before or since. Alas. :(

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I thought maybe Lake Placid and Anaconda came out the same year as another example but no 1999 and 1997 respectively

HUGE MAN EATING REPTILES!!! :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rob Roy and Braveheart were both in 1995

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

dr_rat posted:

It was. I thought it was the better of the two, but either I don't think there's been such a good year for volcanoes in film before or since. Alas. :(

If you haven't yet, Herzog's The Fire Within: Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft (2022) is an awesome watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ynohtna posted:

If you haven't yet, Herzog's The Fire Within: Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft (2022) is an awesome watch.

Yeah, it's just great, but where was the a bit cheaper, and slightly off, 2022 volcano related doco rip off I ask you? These things need to come in twos!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cat Hassler posted:

Actual :lol:

I remember when this came out on DVD Criterion made a 2 disc edition of this and I picked it up because I had a bunch of their DVDs. Like “It must actually be a good movie” I thought

No it was actually not a good movie and the only redeeming thing about the DVD was Ben Affleck’s commentary telling about when Michael Bay yelled at him to shut up and his impression of Karl from Sling Blade when Billy Bob Thornton had a scene

Michael Bay told/ordered Ben Affleck to get some dental work done. When Steve Buscemi mentioned he was going to do something similar, Bay said he already had a million dollar smile and shouldn't change a thing.

I thought about that anecdote several times while watching the show Boardwalk Empire.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

dr_rat posted:

No volcanoes, but the best movie theater weekend was Independence Day weekend, 1996.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, it's just great, but where was the a bit cheaper, and slightly off, 2022 volcano related doco rip off I ask you? These things need to come in twos!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_of_Love_(2022_film)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

You know what, I really was not expecting there to actually be a bit cheaper, and slightly off, 2022 volcano related doco, particularly about the exact same two volcanologists, but... um sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FFT posted:

No volcanoes, but the best movie theater weekend was Independence Day weekend, 1996.

I don’t think you understood their post at all.