Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I'm always amazed at how people don't know how to drive for conditions and think it's Mario kart or Forza with rewind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I throw turtle shells at people when I get road rage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Rally driving is the funnest type of driving though

video game driving is nice because it's totally guiltless and traffic-free

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's kind of funny because I really do hate driving IRL but I absolutely crush in horizon because its just chill and fun.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

See also: video game murder, video game animal cruelty (jumping on turtles)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

i'm err uhh normal

Jeez president kennedy, are you ok? You fell and hit your head real bad

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

In the wee hours of March 15, the driver of an SUV fleeing a traffic stop collided with a sedan, killing its occupants — a 42-year-old Lyft driver and two men, ages 22 and 23, on their way home from a night out in D.C. According to city records, as of late April, the SUV had 49 outstanding tickets with fines totaling $17,280. The records are linked to violations involving the vehicle, rather than a specific driver.

“D.C. had data showing that this driver was an extreme risk to life and welfare,” said Ryan Calder, an assistant professor of environmental health and policy at Virginia Tech who studies traffic collisions and helped to draft a petition that calls on the city to remove dangerous drivers from roads. “And then, very predictably, the driver of the car annihilated three people in a horrific collision. And that was the very predictable outcome of this breakdown in governance.”

[...]

In the case of the deadly Rock Creek Parkway crash, Park Police said the traffic stop that preceded the collision was for a speeding violation that an officer had observed. At the time, the SUV had more than 40 outstanding traffic tickets with fines totaling $12,300. The Washington Post used TV news footage of the license plate to link the vehicle to the outstanding tickets. Most of the violations, listed on the DMV website, were for speeding. At least six citations since late October 2022 were for driving at least 25 mph over the speed limit.

City records updated after the crash show the vehicle has accumulated an additional $4,980 in fines, making for a total debt of $17,280. Some of the unpaid penalties appear to have increased after the crash, most likely because of late fees, but more than $2,000 of the new penalties are from speeding tickets on the day of the crash.

The DMV data shows the SUV was caught on camera that day driving at least 25 mph over the speed limit in two locations east of the Anacostia River about 2½ miles apart. The records do not list the time of the violations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/05/02/dc-traffic-tickets-driving-penalties/

amazing to see the legal system struggle to understand what it should do about this crash, like a westworld robot repeating 'it doesn't look like anything to me'

Prosecutors must determine whether the crash involved a crime. If authorities decide, on the basis of the facts of the case, that the collision was an accident, the driver can avoid criminal charges.

you could say that habitually driving so dangerously that you eventually murder three people is definitely a crime. but maybe it was an oopsie instead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

isnt fleeing a traffic stop a crime?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

The article is behind a paywall but my understanding is that it isn't if you're driving a Lexus or better.

Apr 7, 2003

We really need to apply crime style headlines to these things. Pedestrian in critical condition after car attack.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cars attacks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought 25 over was automatic impound / reckless driving charge

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Real hurthling! posted:

gonna be cool when the driver's lawyer says he wasn't actually fleeing a traffic stop, this is just the speed he always drives and he was going so fast he didn't even notice the park police. therefore, not a crime and we can all stop worrying about this accident

Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

gonna be cool when the driver's lawyer says he wasn't actually fleeing a traffic stop, this is just the speed he always drives and he was going so fast he didn't even notice the park police. therefore, not a crime and we can all stop worrying about this accident

That article goes out of it's way to avoid mentioning the make and model of the car so we can assume it's expensive enough for the driver to commit crimes with impunity.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That article goes out of it's way to avoid mentioning the make and model of the car so we can assume it's expensive enough for the driver to commit crimes with impunity.

It was a Lexus, not sure which model though

https://twitter.com/paulcwagner/status/1636105354441261059

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a manager once who had always wanted a Lexus. He saved for years and finally bought his dream car. He had it for about a month before he got wasted at the strip club and totaled it in a ditch. Stumbled home and feigned ignorance when the cops showed up. I think he stuck with Toyotas after that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had a manager once who had always wanted a Lexus. He saved for years and finally bought his dream car. He had it for about a month before he got wasted at the strip club and totaled it in a ditch. Stumbled home and feigned ignorance when the cops showed up. I think he stuck with Toyotas after that.
He should probably have stuck with not driving after that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lexus or bmw drivers aren't even near the top 5 worst. the death-drive award goes to white nissan altima drivers, followed by audi, followed by jetta, then all truks made after 2018

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Xaris posted:

lexus or bmw drivers aren't even near the top 5 worst. the death-drive award goes to white nissan altima drivers, followed by audi, followed by jetta, then all truks made after 2018

I don't know where you are but here it goes like pick up trucks/suvs> minivans> bmw's > jeeps > audis, I have a mk5 jetta and the jettas I see I notice they are usually defensive drivers.

Celexi has issued a correction as of 05:22 on May 3, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

driving, and cars, they stink

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

you might even say they're....................bad

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Checked my odometer this weekend and I've put 750 miles on my ebike since I got it last summer! It's really nice to see and smell all the trees in bloom this spring.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We really need to apply crime style headlines to these things. Pedestrian in critical condition after car attack.

Not exonerative enough of the driver. Avoid mentioning them or a car of any kind for at least two or three paragraphs.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

just checking in on twitter

New York is famously the city where rich people don't live, only poor people trying to get rich

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

what the actual gently caress are Americans talking about when they complain about "yimbys"? I would have thought that "yimbys think cities can't be fixed" and "yimbys want cities to change" are directly contradictory statements, but I'm pretty sure these people are agreeing with each other

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
YIMBYs want particular fast food restaurants like Chipotle and want department stores like Targets (with Starbucks inside), but they don't want to see poor people/minorities

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my understanding is that "YIMBYs" think that the housing crisis can be solved by building lots of houses wherever they can or want to be built - this is in contrast to "NIMBYs" that do not want houses to be built willy-nilly (because they don't want their suburbia disrupted by poor people)

neither of these groups really grasp the issue because even if you build lots of housing, they don't go to people anyway - they just get snapped up by firms as speculative instruments

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Trying to parse these tweets feels like trying to translate Egyptian hieroglyphics. Thank you for at least giving me a starting point for them. I think that half of these tweets are angry at gentrifiers who want to knock down historical buildings to build strip malls and half of them are angry at people who want more public transportation for poor people and neither group realises the other group is talking about a different group of people.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1653449437690068997

:negative:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

just checking in on twitter

New York is famously the city where rich people don't live, only poor people trying to get rich

This argument is going nowhere as long as the average person thinks NYC is the only way a decent city can look (eg bottom person, not middle person). "City" is literally any incorporated community in the US. And there's a lot of willful ignorance too because we have this dumb urban-rural political divide.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Parents move to the suburbs because they're segregative.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Parents move to the suburbs because they're segregative.

my parents moved us to the suburbs after the 3rd murder of a woman in the elevator of our apartment building in 2 years. still sad that I didn't have more formative years in the Bronx but I kind of get it. they moved back eventually

in public transit news we got new, clearer signage in every train station as of this morning

https://twitter.com/vincent_ducrot/status/1653289555905204229

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

Almost all of my bad encounters with drivers have been young white dudes in lifted pickup trucks. The one exception that stands out in my mind was a BMW.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm a Yes, Let's All Share A Backyard

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

my parents moved us to the suburbs after the 3rd murder of a woman in the elevator of our apartment building in 2 years. still sad that I didn't have more formative years in the Bronx but I kind of get it. they moved back eventually

Yeah, if you live in town here you're going to be adjacent to a lot of things like homelessness and gang activity. People understandably move away for their kids. Individuals have no power over these things (though they also refuse to vote in people who could fix them) so they segregate themselves.

What actually bothers me are the people who stay but try to make city life hell for the people they don't like (the poor) by stripping amenities.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

my understanding is that "YIMBYs" think that the housing crisis can be solved by building lots of houses wherever they can or want to be built - this is in contrast to "NIMBYs" that do not want houses to be built willy-nilly (because they don't want their suburbia disrupted by poor people)

neither of these groups really grasp the issue because even if you build lots of housing, they don't go to people anyway - they just get snapped up by firms as speculative instruments

yeah there's a YIMBY vs NIMBY fight going on in a nearby suburb, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_Village,_Kansas. The YIMBYs want to rezone so that they can build tiny houses in backyards and make it easier to build smaller houses and duplexes. The NIMBYs don't want a bunch of out of state people developing land to extract rent without the consent of the neighbors and also to "protect" the "character" of the town (no poors). Like no one is talking about getting rid of the zoning so that a small bakery could be built in a walkable distance from a neighborhood, no one is talking about expanding the KC streetcar system to the suburbs or building protected bike lanes to connect neighborhoods to the 2 shopping centers or fixing the 5 lane stroad that runs in front of the high school. Like it won't actually fix any problems, it's a fight over property values.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, if you live in town here you're going to be adjacent to a lot of things like homelessness and gang activity. People understandably move away for their kids. Individuals have no power over these things (though they also refuse to vote in people who could fix them) so they segregate themselves.

What actually bothers me are the people who stay but try to make city life hell for the people they don't like (the poor) by stripping amenities.

its actually insanely smart to trade the very small chance of homicide for the super-common chance of vehicular homicide

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

New York City: famous for not having pedestrian fatalities

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

webcams for christ posted:

New York City: famous for not having pedestrian fatalities

looks like the pedestrian fatality rate is like 3 times higher in states like new mexico, arizona, etc.

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/states/statespedestrians.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted: