Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Quackles posted:

Which layout choices?

Amount of spacing between icons, I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the suggestions!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quackles posted:

Which layout choices?

Icon spacing in particular.

e: note to self, read all pages before replying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

franco posted:

I poked around a bit and they've put an option to revert to "old" under the Outlook menu rather than on the taskbar itself and suddenly it isn't dogshit AND has brought back all the emails that had "vanished". And moments after going back to old it is offering an update to the old. Christ knows what will happen now!

e: sorry for my ranting bitchery

I've had to keep reverting to the old Outlook for over a year now because I can't send attachments with the New Outlook. It thinks my IT department has set an upper size limit of 0kb. I can't even reply to messages if their sig has an image or whatever.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone use 1Blocker here to block individual images? I'm trying to block someone's avatar here, but apparently just pasting the URL to the image in a custom rule won't cut it. Has anyone made this work, and if so, how did you make the rule?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

IUG posted:

Does anyone use 1Blocker here to block individual images? I'm trying to block someone's avatar here, but apparently just pasting the URL to the image in a custom rule won't cut it. Has anyone made this work, and if so, how did you make the rule?

Lol whose AV is so godawful that you need to go to those sorts of lengths to block it? That’s an impressive achievement whoever it is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I want to see it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy that person a new av

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yes please buy me a new avatar.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Imagine breaking poster's bushido instead of just forking over the :10bux:

Corb3t posted:

Yes please buy me a new avatar.

no it's metal as gently caress

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
before i turned off avatars altogether there were some animated ones were so distracting i’d have to block them. I used ublock at the time so it was just a right click, no idea how to do it in 1blocker. I acknowledge this is a problem with my flawed brain, not avatars as a concept, blah blah

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly I need avs on because I only recognize some folks from the avs and not usernames.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

Honestly I need avs on because I only recognize some folks from the avs and not usernames.
This.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i did too at first but i’m used to it by now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Warbird posted:

I want to see it

I can’t even remember the first two, but the third is just one I didn’t want to look at anymore. Just assume the first two are :nws: or something, I don’t recall.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e2/58/00018186.0008.png

https://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-g.i._jaw-3.gif

http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4a/ce/00123957.0003.jpg

Fake edit: Of sure 1Blocker, you don’t block them when they’re avatar, but I can’t click the link to even double check how bad they were if they’re links.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

armpit_enjoyer posted:

poster's bushido
mods?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

IUG posted:

I can’t even remember the first two, but the third is just one I didn’t want to look at anymore. Just assume the first two are :nws: or something, I don’t recall.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e2/58/00018186.0008.png

https://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-g.i._jaw-3.gif

http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4a/ce/00123957.0003.jpg

Fake edit: Of sure 1Blocker, you don’t block them when they’re avatar, but I can’t click the link to even double check how bad they were if they’re links.

They're a bit much I'll give you. Now that I think of it I do want to say that I did use the uBlock method on one or two back when I'd browse the forums at work. I say this after an AV of a bleeding sanitary pad and with an AV of an elephant self fellating so land of contrasts and so on.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have any recommendations for Mac antivirus software? A friend of mine's computer has been infected by the dreaded Search Marquis virus (https://macsecurity.net/view/289-search-marquis-com) and isn't having luck following instructions to remove it. She's tried Intego and TotalAV with no luck.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Delthalaz posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Mac antivirus software? A friend of mine's computer has been infected by the dreaded Search Marquis virus (https://macsecurity.net/view/289-search-marquis-com) and isn't having luck following instructions to remove it. She's tried Intego and TotalAV with no luck.

Malwarebytes is usually what I recommend. I think I got that recommendation from WireCutter and it worked well enough on my cousin’s MacBook who got some malware thing.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Anyone familiar with batch renaming files based on an existing filename? I want to take the date and time from the first filename here and transpose it into the second format, so I can put older and newer screenshots and videos from my Switch together for easier chronological viewing. Is there some script or terminal command that can do this in bulk?

code:
17-03-2021-21061500.jpg

DD-MM-YYYY-HHMMSSss
to be renamed to:

code:
2021031721061500_s.jpg

yyyymmddHHMMSSss_s

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 11, 2023

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

rufius posted:

Malwarebytes is usually what I recommend. I think I got that recommendation from WireCutter and it worked well enough on my cousin’s MacBook who got some malware thing.

Thanks!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

jackhunter64 posted:

Anyone familiar with batch renaming files based on an existing filename? I want to take the date and time from the first filename here and transpose it into the second format, so I can put older and newer screenshots and videos from my Switch together for easier chronological viewing. Is there some script or terminal command that can do this in bulk?

code:
17-03-2021-21061500.jpg

DD-MM-YYYY-HHMMSSss
to be renamed to:

code:
2021031721061500_s.jpg

yyyymmddHHMMSSss_s

You can probably do this in Automator on a drag and drop input.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

rufius posted:

Work deployed Malwarebytes to all us Mac heads and once I got them to remove the stupid 'M' in the menu bar (which is a policy config and not something the end-user can change) I forgot it was even installed. That's a high mark for AV.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Looks like zmv could handle that, it's a zsh built-in (that might not be enabled by default?)

code:

zmv '(*)-(*)-(*)-(*).(*)' '$3$2$1$4_s.$5'
Something like that will reverse the order of the year/month/day fields on all files in the current directory while keeping the original time and extension. Use -n for a dry run

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

ephphatha posted:

Looks like zmv could handle that, it's a zsh built-in (that might not be enabled by default?)

code:
Something like that will reverse the order of the year/month/day fields on all files in the current directory while keeping the original time and extension. Use -n for a dry run

Ya I’ve done zmv magic for this kind of thing but I always have to look it up.

The OP’s problem seems like a good fit.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

If you have a 365 subscription, you get defender for MAC included in the monthly fee. It's not the absolute best but if you are already paying for it, it's zero cost.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-defender-for-individuals

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 11, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

ephphatha posted:

code:

Oh that's an incredibly sexy syntax

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my work sent me a m2 mbp to use at home, one thing I noticed is that the lock screen settings reset each time I power it up (I shut it down after each day). is this something i can change on my end? i have full admin priveleges, but while I can change the screen saver so it doesn't go on after only 15 minutes, once i shut down and power up again, it's back to that same setting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maybe that’s a managed option set by your workplace? I know I can’t change my Lock Screen timeout on my work mbp. However mine is different in the sense that I can’t even change it in the first place, even with admin access, so not sure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Maybe that’s a managed option set by your workplace? I know I can’t change my Lock Screen timeout on my work mbp. However mine is different in the sense that I can’t even change it in the first place, even with admin access, so not sure.

yeah i figure it must be something like that, I do connect to a vpn first so maybe that activates it somehow

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
use this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. Might hold off for now so I don't get in any trouble (my machine has PHI stored on it)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Also do drugs so you won’t have to worry about the lock timing out to begin with. It’s win win!

(Amp is OSS iirc so if your InfoSec/Tech group is somewhat accommodating the source code is easily examine-able.)

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
i think you can use it to just set the timeout to 30 minutes or whatever you wanted to do in the settings anyway

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I have a Drobo that’s not very good and I’m trying to figure out what I need to replace it with. I use it for just regular storage. I wonder if it’s worth the hassle going for disk redundancy or just getting a regular 1 disk external drive.

Also what do people use for backup these days? Time Machine to attached disk? Time Machine on NAS? Dropbox and friends? The aforementioned drobo was terrible for Time Machine.

Violator
May 15, 2003

MrBond posted:

I have a Drobo that’s not very good and I’m trying to figure out what I need to replace it with. I use it for just regular storage. I wonder if it’s worth the hassle going for disk redundancy or just getting a regular 1 disk external drive.

Also what do people use for backup these days? Time Machine to attached disk? Time Machine on NAS? Dropbox and friends? The aforementioned drobo was terrible for Time Machine.

Depends on how much storage you need and how important the data is. I switched from Drobo to Synology and it's been great. I've got an eight disk NAS because I process a lot of photo and video. But if you just need storage for Plex an external disk is probably fine. I use Time Machine attached to an external for backup of my system drive and then I manually manage backups from the NAS onto externals but that's because I can easily segment out projects. I backup important documents and files to Dropbox. I know a lot of folks like Backblaze for online backups. I probably need to automate more of my routine.

Shame about Drobo. I had two of their units over time and they had a good thing going and it's sad they went out of business.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Violator posted:

Depends on how much storage you need and how important the data is. I switched from Drobo to Synology and it's been great. I've got an eight disk NAS because I process a lot of photo and video. But if you just need storage for Plex an external disk is probably fine. I use Time Machine attached to an external for backup of my system drive and then I manually manage backups from the NAS onto externals but that's because I can easily segment out projects. I backup important documents and files to Dropbox. I know a lot of folks like Backblaze for online backups. I probably need to automate more of my routine.

Shame about Drobo. I had two of their units over time and they had a good thing going and it's sad they went out of business.

I use Backblaze for my online backups and I'd like to add that normal Backblaze does not allow the ability to backup a NAS. You have to update to B2 Backblaze and the price of that all depends on how much data you're backing up. It's not really a huge deal as it's basically $5 per 1 TB but still something to keep in mind.

I don't know much about Time Machine though...how do you set it up for external drives?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Seconding the Synology solution. It's not as… idk… neat as Drobo used to be, and the backup software that comes with it can be a bit unoptimised and flaky, but for the most part it works. The ability to absolutely load it down with remote-storage adjacent apps is handy too since it's pretty darn trivial to hook it up and make it work with [random cloud service] that you might want to use. It's perhaps overkill for many use cases, in particular since it's best paired with a pretty extensive network setup.

It's also a good opportunity to take Time Machine out behind the shed and give it two quick nukes to the entire county since, while you may have been lucky with it so far, it is an unreliable, opaque, non-communicative, and horribly inefficient (as far as backing up the backup) POS. One day, out of nowhere, for no discernible reason, it will fail on you and not inform you of this fact until everything dies six months later.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Synology active backup for business seems decent as a replacement for Time Machine with the caveat you can’t boot from it like a TM backup. I’m waiting for the next version of DSM with volume encryption to come out of beta before switching to it though so I’m speaking from minimal experience; I did a test of a smaller machine and did a few file restores without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tippis posted:

Seconding the Synology solution. It's not as… idk… neat as Drobo used to be, and the backup software that comes with it can be a bit unoptimised and flaky, but for the most part it works. The ability to absolutely load it down with remote-storage adjacent apps is handy too since it's pretty darn trivial to hook it up and make it work with [random cloud service] that you might want to use. It's perhaps overkill for many use cases, in particular since it's best paired with a pretty extensive network setup.

It's also a good opportunity to take Time Machine out behind the shed and give it two quick nukes to the entire county since, while you may have been lucky with it so far, it is an unreliable, opaque, non-communicative, and horribly inefficient (as far as backing up the backup) POS. One day, out of nowhere, for no discernible reason, it will fail on you and not inform you of this fact until everything dies six months later.

Time machine works great if you're backing up to an external SSD duct-taped to the back of your monitor, and the convenience of being able to restore straight to a new Mac from the setup wizard, as well as the integration with the OS is really nice. If you back up to an external drive connected directly to the computer. Backing up to a NAS is basically non-functional as you say, it's maddening.