Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

I'm trying to scratch a Terraria/Minecraft/other open world sandboxy games of that sort itch. Something where I'm free to just gently caress about and explore. Preferably single player because I hate dealing with toxic trash communities that multiplayer games tend to create.

it's not amazing or groundbreaking or anything, but i've been having some fun with Keplerth. It kinda feels a lot like like Terraria but with Rimworld's graphics/POV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Recommend me a good turn based game. Strat or small squad, whatever, I've been jamming Deep Sky Derelicts and the like, and obviously the big names like the XCOMs and so on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Recommend me a good turn based game. Strat or small squad, whatever, I've been jamming Deep Sky Derelicts and the like, and obviously the big names like the XCOMs and so on.

Into the Breach
Warhammer: Mechanicus

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Got the first, will try the second

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Recommend me a good turn based game.
I'll just leave Battle Brothers in here.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Battle bros didn’t really grab me but WarTales did.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

divinity original sin 2 if you haven't already, and wildermyth are really good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Divinity: Original Sin II is godlike.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Divinity: Original Sin II is godlike.

:hmmyes:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Seconding DOS2 and Battle Brothers, and I'll add Brutal Orchestra to the list with a really clever combat system and absolutely oozing atmosphere in a weird creepy kind of way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Valkyria Chronicles (1 or 4).
Bug Fables

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Valkyria Chronicles (1 or 4).
What's wrong with 2 or 3 beyond them being for PSP?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I could never really get into Divinity Original Sin 2 despite having like 40 hours in Fort Joy and the second continent. I always get bored and forget what I was trying to acomplish. An alternative recommendation would be Underrail. I love that game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/UnderRail/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thank you all, I shall investigate

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Have you played XCOM: Chimera Squad? That gets slept on a lot but is great

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have indeed

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Battletech

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pierzak posted:

What's wrong with 2 or 3 beyond them being for PSP?

They're not good. Well, 3 is okay but it's hampered by having small map segments joined together due to PSP limitations. 2 requires you to enjoy the anime high school setting but also has the worst class upgrade system I think I've ever seen

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're not good. Well, 3 is okay but it's hampered by having small map segments joined together due to PSP limitations. 2 requires you to enjoy the anime high school setting but also has the worst class upgrade system I think I've ever seen

OK, how much are they linked plot-wise, how much would I miss if I skipped 2 and/or 3 and went straight 1->4 if I'm the type to care?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

OK, how much are they linked plot-wise, how much would I miss if I skipped 2 and/or 3 and went straight 1->4 if I'm the type to care?

VC1/3 are concurrent, VC4 starts before them and ends after, VC2 is after that. So, no, no problem at all and VC4 doesn't expect you to know anything about 3 (or 1, really).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

VC1/3 are concurrent, VC4 starts before them and ends after, VC2 is after that. So, no, no problem at all and VC4 doesn't expect you to know anything about 3 (or 1, really).

Nice to know, thanks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Battletech

Got it, love it. Unless you can recommend any particular mods?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also said anime high school setting is in the middle of a brutal civil war targeting a racial minority in their nation. But forget about that, because now it's time to focus on your classmates! Today let's spend time getting the timid (adopted) brother to admit he likes his sister romantically!! :yayclod:. (:barf:)

VC2 in general basically speedruns all the awful anime tropes VC1 mostly avoided.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah some of the characters were okay and some of them were uhh..that pair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How're you gonna help your medic friend get over their fear of blood and deeply-rooted trauma associated with it, optimistic idiot protagonist?

If you said anything but "Shoot yourself in the gut with a handgun so she has to treat you", you were wrong and a better writer than VC2's scenario writers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ok but that’s kinda metal

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Got it, love it. Unless you can recommend any particular mods?

Apparently bta and roguetech are the two big ones. I played a bit of bta and it was alright, roguetech sounded wayyyy too crunchy for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Age of wonders 4 just released today and it's been pretty good. 3 and planetfall I can vouch for as excellent games.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have requests for the friendly hive mind!

I (think i) want an turn based tactics game, but I also think I no longer have the ability to handle a steep learning curve. Divinity os2 looked so cool and I tried to play it but there's way, WAY too many mechanics. Pathfinder also looks too deep.

I've bounced off ff tactics for similar reasons.

Darkest dungeon was pretty good but I got a little bored with the game play loop after a bit. I go back periodically.

Xcom is too random with its punishes, and I want to keep my characters.

Is there a game that hits this or am I just too slow now that I'm old?

Second request:

I LOVE the meta progression of Re4/5. It's perfect. Shadow warrior 2 came close but it's too grindy and there's too many weapons. Is there a game (nice narrative optional) that is 1st/ third person that has a good meta progression? Where an upgrade is noticeably an upgrade? And I can play it by myself?

Finally:

I love STS. It's amazing. I've been wanting a second game. I've tried monster train, and it's OK, but I want one where the mechanics are a bit less complicated. There's too many tribes and combos and whatnot. I'm old now, dammit! StS has a great balance of that where the mechanics are simple but the strategy is deep. Where can I get more of that?

Thank you!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Have you played the Downfall mod for STS?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Into the Breach. Smaller scale, simpler puzzles, easier to keep track of. There's still the risk of losing your guys, but that has less weight. A little bit of metaprogression, not that much. You might also enjoy FTL, although that's a bit of a different thing.

Or aside from that, maybe you'd like Advance Wars? The remake of 1 and 2 came out recently, but if you're willing to figure out emulators, you can try playing the original GBA or DS games. Days of Ruin has some neat mechanics apart from the rest of the series. Being Nintendo games, they'll slowly introduce you to newer mechanics. There's a lot less luck management, you can't exactly "miss" shots, and there's no worries of "losing your guys" because units aren't "characters". You manufacture them in factories.

There's also Card Hunter (also known as Loot & Legends), which is a card-based tactical game where you play as a D&D party going through a campaign. You mainly get access to different cards through the gear you equip, so you don't build the decks directly.

Other card-based games to try out: Ironclad Tactics, Guild of Dungeoneering, Backpack Hero, Megaman Battle Network, emulating the old gameboy Pokemon Card Game Video Game and its sequel, or Star Realms. Guild of Dungeoneering might be the simplest. Card Hunter and Star Realms you can get for free and on mobile. Guild and Backpack Hero have demos to check out.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I love STS. It's amazing. I've been wanting a second game. I've tried monster train, and it's OK, but I want one where the mechanics are a bit less complicated. There's too many tribes and combos and whatnot. I'm old now, dammit! StS has a great balance of that where the mechanics are simple but the strategy is deep. Where can I get more of that?

I'll chime again for Brutal Orchestra. If you dig the art style, which is pretty special, then it's a match made in heaven. The turn-based combat is pretty simple, with characters on 5 lanes facing up to 5 monsters, and each character can do 1 attack and 1 move each turn. Also, you have (almost) perfect information about what the monsters will do and in what order in their turn. Very simple mechanics, but the strategy runs surprisingly deep as you try to puzzle out an action sequence that miniises the risk/damage on the monsters turn and/or places you up for a big strike in the next round. Every single fight is a puzzle, and the atmosphere is incredible between this weird looking hell, the awesome music and the weird cast and story. I can't recommend it enough for people looking for stuff like StS, the presentation is different and you have the same (upgradeable) abilities every turn instead of cards from a deck, but it shares a lot of the DNA.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any games like Mr Sun’s Hatbox? Other than Spelunky and other really big similar ones. I really liked the straightforward 2D gameplay + the base building/people getting progression loop. In particular, stuff which is steam deck compatible.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Urtuk is a great turn based tactics game as well. Simple mechanics but a lot of depth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

Any games like Mr Sun’s Hatbox? Other than Spelunky and other really big similar ones. I really liked the straightforward 2D gameplay + the base building/people getting progression loop. In particular, stuff which is steam deck compatible.
Rogue Legacy 2 might fit the bill. Most of the gameplay variety comes from mastering the different classes.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have requests for the friendly hive mind!

I (think i) want an turn based tactics game, but I also think I no longer have the ability to handle a steep learning curve. Divinity os2 looked so cool and I tried to play it but there's way, WAY too many mechanics. Pathfinder also looks too deep.

I've bounced off ff tactics for similar reasons.

Darkest dungeon was pretty good but I got a little bored with the game play loop after a bit. I go back periodically.

Xcom is too random with its punishes, and I want to keep my characters.

Is there a game that hits this or am I just too slow now that I'm old?

Technically not turn based, but something like Commandos 2 or Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun might scratch the same itch. They're real time with pause stealth tactics games, and the objective is generally to never be detected, so it's basically a puzzle to figure out how to use your set characters and their various abilities to get through the level.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Wildermyth. The learning curve is low, although there are a lot of ways to build your characters. It has a ton of charming stories that come up through gameplay, and I tend to recommend it to a lot of people. It's a bit like a cheerful, more character-focused Darkest Dungeon.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm looking for a survival game with RPG elements like stats and gear and such. I want to play something in this genre with a friend that loves them but i need a bit more crunch to it myself. Any ideas?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Elblanco posted:

I'm looking for a survival game with RPG elements like stats and gear and such. I want to play something in this genre with a friend that loves them but i need a bit more crunch to it myself. Any ideas?

Valheim, full stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Valheim with the Epic Loot mod, if it's still a thing (I haven't played Valheim in a couple years now)