Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Phigs posted:

Hugh was definitely done dirty over and over in Season 4.

But did he care? I listened to his recording of the moomins audiobook and that voice is so chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

From memory in the podcast he felt he was scored harshly and Greg delighted in picking on him but was sanguine with it both because he knew it's all about entertainment and he was happy with the season result (not spoiling since we know someone is working through the season now).

But my impression was that if it was a more serious competition he would have been a bit put out.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Hugh Dennis was apparently a top 3 all time competitor by average score on "objective" tasks(fastest, furthest, most etc) and a bottom 5 all time performer for subjective tasks(Greg picks his favourite). He was also the lowest ever average score for prize tasks.

Those figures were from during season 10, so have probably shifted a bit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think Hugh was done harshly but also that a lot of his 'clever' solutions were leaning towards cheaty.

But everyone on that series is so lovely and funny (and we get to see Mel Giedroyc at her most absolutely insane during the prize tasks) that I can forgive a lot from Greg.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I feel like Greg scored Hugh down a lot because he went for lateral thinking solutions a lot and not all of them were as clever as he probably thought they were at the time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Snowy posted:

Five episodes into my first viewing of series 4 and it’s definitely my least favorite so far. The combination of punitive scoring against Hugh while Noel gets many blatantly undeserved high scores is a little too much, even on a show that isn’t really that competitive.

Before this series I liked Noel but now I’m getting sick of his poo poo and hope he doesn’t get handed the golden Greg when it should probably go to Joe

Oh you are going to love Liza Tarbuck few series down the line.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Daisy May Cooper’s absolute rage at Herring not getting what she was drawing was an amazing moment. Double points for Mawaan dying watching it happen too.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leraika posted:

I think Hugh was done harshly but also that a lot of his 'clever' solutions were leaning towards cheaty.

But everyone on that series is so lovely and funny (and we get to see Mel Giedroyc at her most absolutely insane during the prize tasks) that I can forgive a lot from Greg.

I think Mel is one of my all-time favourite contestants. Her bottomless well of positivity! Her cheerful cameraderie with Hugh, as she dragged the poor hapless bloke around and around the garden! The way Alex Horne adored her so wholeheartedly! And then, of course, came the exotic sandwich ("ohhh, gang"), which nearly crushed her spirit, but she bounced back!. Whatta contestant she was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And they tried so hard to break her with the giant ball. All in vain.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Every so often they come up with a studio task that seems like it would be a genuinely fun game to play at a party. Today's was one of them.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I had a hunch the last round was going to be little Alex Horne again. Going to be a pain to subtitle that one when they do it in Swedish TM in 12 months' time though. Personally would have given Ivo the five for his imaginary friend, despite Frankie's emotive performance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not all tasks can be winners, there's going to be an occasional bad egg.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This is gonna be the episode that's gonna get Quentin Tarantino to watch Taskmaster.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Irisi posted:

I think Mel is one of my all-time favourite contestants. Her bottomless well of positivity! Her cheerful cameraderie with Hugh, as she dragged the poor hapless bloke around and around the garden! The way Alex Horne adored her so wholeheartedly! And then, of course, came the exotic sandwich ("ohhh, gang"), which nearly crushed her spirit, but she bounced back!. Whatta contestant she was.

i think the montage of her cheerful reactions they did is just one of the most amazing things. one of the recent YouTube clip compilations they did was wholesome moments and she was heavily featured. she's such a joy to watch

going back to the notion of matching tasks to contestants, I'm pretty sure the "destroy this cake" task was laser targeted to Mel and Noel-- and Mel's immediate reaction was just wonderful.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mae should have gotten 9 points. :colbert:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Mae should have gotten 9 points. :colbert:

:colbert: I was waiting for somebody to argue that even if you consider the shoes golden, they were attached by black straps which were touching the green.

I got curious and looked up the series scores and it's a moot point because Mae is winning by a lot despite being chronically underscored in the prize tasks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rochallor posted:

:colbert: I was waiting for somebody to argue that even if you consider the shoes golden, they were attached by black straps which were touching the green.

I got curious and looked up the series scores and it's a moot point because Mae is winning by a lot despite being chronically underscored in the prize tasks.

The soles of the golden shoes on Alex were also black, I'm pretty sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the not stepping on grass task mean they were allowed to step on the green carpet the whole time?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have to say this is turning out to be one the lesser series in my opinion. It has it's moments but overall it's just not clicking as much as others.

Series 7 remains peak Taskmaster.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

Doesn't the not stepping on grass task mean they were allowed to step on the green carpet the whole time?

All the information is on the task

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Learning the cast isn't loving spoilers you nerds.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Someone posted the next series line up on Cookd and Bombd if anyone's curious.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Thanks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I didn’t understand why Kiel (can’t spell, not looking it up) didn’t just keep rolling the green carpet up until he got close to the bell. He started with that and it was working!

I’m also surprised no one tried to trick Alex into coming near them. In these tasks at least one person usually attempts to.

Also I don’t think anyone asked Alex to get the ball or move the bell?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I didn’t understand why Kiel (can’t spell, not looking it up) didn’t just keep rolling the green carpet up until he got close to the bell. He started with that and it was working!

I’m also surprised no one tried to trick Alex into coming near them. In these tasks at least one person usually attempts to.

Also I don’t think anyone asked Alex to get the ball or move the bell?

I bet he had "do things for me" tasks for those two options :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have to say this is turning out to be one the lesser series in my opinion. It has it's moments but overall it's just not clicking as much as others.

Agreed, although we may be in minority on this one. The cast is largely giving me nothing, Frankie and Mae in particular.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Trabant posted:

Agreed, although we may be in minority on this one. The cast is largely giving me nothing, Frankie and Mae in particular.

Yeah, to each their own obviously, but I'm loving this season and those two are my particular favorites! In the past, this thread has been very bullish on people/seasons that I didn't much care for, so I get it. It's nice that the show still manages to mix things up enough to hit different funny bones season to season.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think the tasks portions are a little weaker than average but the banter sections are stronger than average. I don't think this will make my favorites list but it's still top half for me.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

There is something a little off this season about the tasks, or perhaps just how predictable the way they are carried out is. I am struggling to put my finger on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RickRogers posted:

There is something a little off this season about the tasks, or perhaps just how predictable the way they are carried out is. I am struggling to put my finger on it.

I think it’s that none of the contestants are very creative OR good at most of the tasks.

The best parts of the show are
- someone does something perfectly or first try or finds the gimmick
- someone does something really creative outside the box
- someone does something insane because they think it’s creative and fail miserably.

None of them do the above, almost ever. Mae occasionally comes close to doing things well, but they’re so uncharismatic about it and it’s too rare that it doesn’t feel fun.

No one is off the rails. No one really thinks differently. In fact, there seems to be a large number of tasks this season where they all do the exact same thing. I can’t think of a single other season of UK Taskmaster where “most poignant imaginary friend scene” would result in 4/5 being death, with 3/5 being so similar Greg had to score on how well they wailed at the death rather than the scene.

The studio banter is so excellent that it makes the season fun enough to enjoy, but I think it’s the only thing holding it up.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s that none of the contestants are very creative OR good at most of the tasks.

None of them do the above, almost ever. Mae occasionally comes close to doing things well, but they’re so uncharismatic about it and it’s too rare that it doesn’t feel fun.

The studio banter is so excellent that it makes the season fun enough to enjoy, but I think it’s the only thing holding it up.

Frankie and Kiell in the studio are great fun, and Ivo consistently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is funny but otherwise it is a bit of a weaker season. However, after 6 weeks of seeing the prize tasks, I do now kind of wish for a "Frankie Boyle Goes To Art School" show, his prize tasks have been so consistently creative and amusing.

I think Mae is probably going to win, just by the rather dubious merit of being the quietest and most route-one contestant ever. I had hopes for Mae, but their sweetness and charm as an actor is most certainly not translating well to to Taskmaster for me, they are so painfully awkward in the studio sections where Greg is lobbing a bit of banter their way and getting buggerall in return.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I can’t think of a single other season of UK Taskmaster where “most poignant imaginary friend scene” would result in 4/5 being death, with 3/5 being so similar Greg had to score on how well they wailed at the death rather than the scene.

This seemed like a lesser version of New Zealand S3's amazing "Best friend" series of tasks.

My extremely controversial and completely subjective take is that NZ is currently the best version of Taskmaster. UK seems to be coasting far too much the past few series. The tasks are generally too complicated or just a bit too boring, and the banter/relationship between Greg and Alex hasn't really changed in 10 series. (The most obvious example being "Accuse Alex of something bad, then say his name in a high voice" being the exact same joke every time.)

It's still one of the best comedy things on television, but it's a comedy where nearly everything is completely predictable at this point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The best parts of the show are
- someone does something perfectly or first try or finds the gimmick
- someone does something really creative outside the box
- someone does something insane because they think it’s creative and fail miserably.
You're forgetting "someone tries to cheat and Alex pulls last second photo evidence", imo.

Anyhow, I've got high hopes for the Australian version, they started off really good and hopefully will refine the show further. NZ has very fun tasks but the studio bits were (apart from S2) mostly boring.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 6, 2023

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's still one of the best comedy things on television, but it's a comedy where nearly everything is completely predictable at this point.
These types of show tend to get formulaic as they progress, so I agree. I loving loved 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown but there was a point where the producers understood how the show worked and got lazy and after that it got poo poo.

Anyway, anyone else going to this? https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1651849664415637504?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quick, best single task to show to someone to get across the concept of the show.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Quick, best single task to show to someone to get across the concept of the show.

I think potato in the hole is almost always the answer.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah potato in the hole from season 2 is a great one. Probably the best if you wanna go real hard in on getting them into the show. Bit of an outlier though as it's fairly unique.

Exotic sandwich from season 4.

Eat a watermelon from season 1.

Throw/eat/balance a twiglet/wheatbix/jelly from season 5.

Are all solid ones that I feel cover the spread of Taskmaster a bit better.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Get to 11 points would be a good one
or the paint a rainbow in the dark lab one

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eat an exotic sandwich also has the bonus of the season having Mel and Noel from Bake Off, two British personalities that an American might actually know and be excited to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Exotic sandwich, make this coconut look like a businessman from s5, pop the balloon (feat. alex's pop up balloon pop shop) from s12, and hide three aubergines from s9