Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

could you imagine if they minted the coin and Stephen Miller stole it?

That would be the timeline we are on.

I have a feeling the donors are going to basically say athey are going to stop giving the failsons of congresspeople jobs if they dont raise the debt ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Yellen said we could default as early as June but before then the fed might start making moves to try to shift things around to prolong the default as long as possible. When that happens I'm sure the markets will dive. Which means possible layoffs for workers. And then that could also mean a hit to the US credit rating again. So yeah the default could happen in June but the damage could start before then. I hope that Dem secret discharge petition works out. And if not, then I hope Biden mints the drat coin and doesn't wait until the last minute.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The market isn't a rational actor and if the fed has to start getting creative to keep the gears turning then yes hell will start to break loose in a pretty rapid manner.

US debt underpins the entire global economy and once people start getting sketched out about how stable it is things stop being predictable and no one can truthfully say they know how it will shake out, especially if collapsing everything totally owns the libs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cr0y posted:

The market isn't a rational actor and if the fed has to start getting creative to keep the gears turning then yes hell will start to break loose in a pretty rapid manner.

US debt underpins the entire global economy and once people start getting sketched out about how stable it is things stop being predictable and no one can truthfully say they know how it will shake out, especially if collapsing everything totally owns the libs.

My impression is that most of the "True Believers" are performative, and when push comes to shuck the big money will make sure we don't crash the global economy.

poo poo, one single group of VC bros who bet to big on a bank managed to bully the federal reserve and treasury.

Having said that, I could be wrong and the US will get what it has coming to it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

has anyone told that regressive supa pac that they can have white people do blackface and trigger libs oh and maybe even find a play to say that word they really really want to say?

Also isnt theater a pretty good item for college application resumes?

As a child I went to a summer camp in NH (all white) in the 1960's and in the play Finian's' Rainbow I played one of the sharecroppers and yes, in blackface.

Note: the villain in the play is a white southern senator who is turned black to learn a lesson.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

My impression is that most of the "True Believers" are performative, and when push comes to shuck the big money will make sure we don't crash the global economy.

poo poo, one single group of VC bros who bet to big on a bank managed to bully the federal reserve and treasury.

Having said that, I could be wrong and the US will get what it has coming to it.

I hope you're right but I think what you said applies more to the old school republicans. Not these nihilists that have taken over the party now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

It's funny that you think the Republican party isn't full of a bunch of dangerous morons who would shoot their own mother if it meant annoying "the libs"

It's also really funny that you think a default would only affect the US.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's also possible or maybe even likely that some portion of the GOP is drinking their own kool-aid and believe that defaulting is nbd and would totally stick it to Biden and the Dems and guarantee they get the blame (the Dems) and pay for it in 2024.

These morons are sitting at the wheel of a giant dangerous machine and very few of them know what most of the levers do.

The same people who were with trump in using bleach and light inside the lungs to cure covid are being asked to understand Treasury securities and global financial markets.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone leaked one page of the emails and text messages that Tucker Carlson sent that caused Fox to panic, settle the lawsuit, and fire him. There's still another few dozen pages that are sealed under court order and have not been leaked.

In the leaked messages, he says that white people fight honorably and he was disappointed in a video he saw where 3 white Trump supporters jumped and beat a black "antifa guy" on January 6th. He said that "is not how white men fight."

He also expressed that he wanted to see the black guy beaten and killed by the Trump supporters, but realized afterwards that was wrong because it would make him just like the "antifa guy."

He also texted people about how disappointed he was that Mike Pence didn't "save the day" on January 6th and how important it will be to protect the first and second amendments going forward because they will need them to save America and they make America worth living in.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1653576820736815105

quote:

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living poo poo out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight.

quote:

Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it.

quote:

Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?

quote:

People were enraged today because they thought Mike Pence would save the day.

quote:

My view is that the most important thing we can do - maybe the only thing we can do going forward is try to save the things that make America worth living in. For me, that begins with the first and second amendments.

quote:

We'll need the first and second going forward.

In response to another person he was texting saying that he worried that Trump might do something crazy that could prompt a backlash against the second amendment:

quote:

There is no question he will. He's a demonic force, a destroyer. But, he's not going to destroy us. I've been thinking about this every day for four years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good to know that Tucker's whole Fourteen Words act every night for like 3 years wasn't an act

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't really see how it's going to accomplish anything but if there's one bipartisan consensus, it's that we need to militarize the border

The latest I've heard from north of the border is y'all are proper upset that we have our own visa policy and don't treat our USMCA brothers like lepers, and honestly I find it vile that A) America would try to dictate Canadian visa policy and B) that you're in a wide-reaching free trade agreement with a country whose nationals you won't even allow across the loving border without a visa. That's some sick poo poo, you need to sort some things out down there!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In response to another person he was texting saying that he worried that Trump might do something crazy that could prompt a backlash against the second amendment:

You have to read this quote in the voice of Tobias Funke, it's that delusional and deranged.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Not sure you have to go that far back--Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson faced each other in 1952 and 1956.

It doesn't really count, but Tricky Dick Nixon absolutely lost his god drat mind over the 1960 election, and he became obsessed with the "god drat Kennedies", they just kept getting shot before he could run against them again. But all the same, Nixon ran again in 1968 against a severely fractured Dem field and well we know what happened there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good to know that Tucker's whole Fourteen Words act every night for like 3 years wasn't an act

Hey man, that's very unfair. He eventually said he thought it was wrong because he didn't want to stoop down to the level of the black man. Would a true white nationalist say that?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't believe the man who's been openly doing and saying racist things for years is a racist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm also very disappointed that whoever leaked these documents only leaked one page out of several dozen. I have to wonder if this was the tamest or the worst of the messages.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I'm also very disappointed that whoever leaked these documents only leaked one page out of several dozen. I have to wonder if this was the tamest or the worst of the messages.

if this is what got him fired there has to be worse, none of this seems that different from his emails which were become public during the trial

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
My guess is it's some of the tamest and they (Fox) are going to drip feed it out over a while to bury Tucker completely and try to distance themselves, but we'll see. I'm hopeful we'll see more.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I can't believe the man who's been openly doing and saying racist things for years is a racist.

I have to believe that the people saying they are shocked are playing it up or literally never watched his show. I think Glenn Greenwald is the only person who was still unironically insisting that Tucker was a principled defender of national sovereignty and was being falsely smeared as racist.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if this is what got him fired there has to be worse, none of this seems that different from his emails which were become public during the trial

The explicit stuff about how white men fight honorably and wanting to see the black guy get murdered are definitely several levels above his emails and stuff he said on his show. But, it was basically a matter of degree and explicitness and not content. Fox was fine with what he was saying on his show as long as he framed it as "some people think" or "I'm just asking questions." Once you say, "I wanted this man to be beaten to death and white people are more honorable than black people" you have stepped too far for Fox.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 3, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The sourcing of the text is a question from multiple directions at this point- how it came to the NYT, but also how it came to the Fox board. The entire framing should be viewed with a degree of skepticism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Counterpoint: I think this is probably what they were concerned about, because they are more concerned about a relatively mild thing that is unquestionably racist, rather than the seventeen thousand awful dogwhistles that maintain a tiny fig leaf of respectability.

The rules are: you can imply the worst possible things imaginable, the most dreadfully racist poo poo. But if you come out and say something that can't be maneuvered around, your number is up. Tucker and Don Cherry can go have a circle-jerk about overthrowing the Canadian government, owing to their ample free time resulting from violating that one simple rule.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

The sourcing of the text is a question from multiple directions at this point- how it came to the NYT, but also how it came to the Fox board. The entire framing should be viewed with a degree of skepticism.

It came to the Fox board because they had to review all of the electronic communications they had to turn over as part of discovery in the Dominion lawsuit. Fox were the first ones to learn about it.

It's not clear who leaked it to the NYT, but it is the unredacted version of the redacted documents that are available on the court website. The unredacted version is sealed under court order, so it could only be:

- Someone from Dominion
- Someone from Fox
- Someone from the outside legal team Fox hired
- Someone from the prothonotary's office at the Delaware Superior Court

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Is this a typo or some legal office I've never heard of?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is this a typo or some legal office I've never heard of?

The prothonotary's office is the office in the court where the clerks and chief clerk responsible for documenting and filing court cases work. Various people in that office would have access to the unredacted copies of court documents.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't know why I subject myself to even wondering how the right takes this stuff but for some reason I did it again and now I need to shower.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think the insane part is Tucker or anyone else writing stuff in emails written on a work account that at best they should be saying to their therapist, I guess no one ever taught him not to say anything via email that you didn't want the public to read?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hey man, that's very unfair. He eventually said he thought it was wrong because he didn't want to stoop down to the level of the black man. Would a true white nationalist say that?

I'm surprised that his racism is apparently at the level of a stereotypical 18th century foppish European noble. Guess he takes being an heir to frozen dinner money seriously.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Angry_Ed posted:

It's funny that you think the Republican party isn't full of a bunch of dangerous morons who would shoot their own mother if it meant annoying "the libs"

It's also really funny that you think a default would only affect the US.

Is the funny part that I never said that and you made it up?

The first....maybe. I think the actual number of dangerous morons is lower than it appears, not because they're smart, but because they're playing it up as red meat.

The second point? LOL I literally already said it would crash the world economy. What the US has coming to it is the loss of global hegemony.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Global markets are already moving away from the dollar in small ways that are gaining steam.

I guess the only question is whether there are enough True Believers in congress that they'd be willing to blow up the US's global economic hegemony to force cuts to welfare or whatever.

Can you go into more detail on this?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

The latest I've heard from north of the border is y'all are proper upset that we have our own visa policy and don't treat our USMCA brothers like lepers, and honestly I find it vile that A) America would try to dictate Canadian visa policy and B) that you're in a wide-reaching free trade agreement with a country whose nationals you won't even allow across the loving border without a visa. That's some sick poo poo, you need to sort some things out down there!

A) no one cares
B) you can cross with a Mexican passport just like a US american crosses into Canada, the issue is not that. The visa is the stamp on your passport. Or do you think Mexicans and US nationals can live/study/work in Canada without a visa? Cuz lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:nws:https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1653534787741646849?t=ksCYsrx4T-AXq-djnH4kZg&s=19 :nws:

Spoilering that tweet for images of a man being killed on the NY subway. what was really startling to me was the amount of replies insisting that they know their jujitsu and that was clearly a non-lethal choke. Despite ...the dude dying.

I don't know if this says anything new about USA or Twitter, but both the act and the response are certainly something to behold.

And yes, you can obviously guess the race of both participants without having to click

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

:nws:https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1653534787741646849?t=ksCYsrx4T-AXq-djnH4kZg&s=19 :nws:

Spoilering that tweet for images of a man being killed on the NY subway. what was really startling to me was the amount of replies insisting that they know their jujitsu and that was clearly a non-lethal choke. Despite ...the dude dying.

I don't know if this says anything new about USA or Twitter, but both the act and the response are certainly something to behold.

And yes, you can obviously guess the race of both participants without having to click

Too many people think chokeholds and other pressure on the neck type poo poo is something you can just apply then turn off once you get your video game KO

It doesn't occur to people that hey you might be mangling this person's trachea or larynx in a way that they won't be able to recover from after blacking out

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Washington Post reports that the next step in the culture war is shutting down high school theater for being too gay.

Even as Republicans underperformed in 2022 nationally, conservative activists were incredibly successful at electing entirely new school boards all across the country. These new boards have taken up various "anti-woke" and anti-LGBT policies during their tenure. Now, a national group that helped elect many of them is organizing a program to shut down high school theater for encouraging homosexuality and transgenderism.

They have also set out to find "pro-CRT" school plays and shut them down as well. They argue that these plays cause divisions among the students and may offend local parents.

15 states have implemented policies to prevent high school theater from putting on performances where characters crossdress.

It’s awesome how these freaks are going all-in on antagonizing their own children. There’s no way that having formative memories of being forced to give up a beloved activity or having a trans friend commit suicide could possibly lead a person to lifelong hatred of conservatives. I have no idea what the end of all this will be other than people dying in the short term, but I don’t see how these tendencies can last given how they’re bullying all children in the US for no reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Staluigi posted:

Too many people think chokeholds and other pressure on the neck type poo poo is something you can just apply then turn off once you get your video game KO

It doesn't occur to people that hey you might be mangling this person's trachea or larynx in a way that they won't be able to recover from after blacking out

For sure.

But also, I'm pretty sure it could have been a video of a guy repeatedly roundhouse kicking another guy in the head until it explodes like a watermelon, and as long as the arrow of racial violence was pointing in the correct direction there would be hordes of chuds clambering to defend it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A properly applied choke works by cutting off blood to the brain. If you keep holding it the person just dies. That’s why sports with blood chokes have very aggressive referee policies and all participants get drilled on the dangers of them and the sanctity of respecting tap outs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It came to the Fox board because they had to review all of the electronic communications they had to turn over as part of discovery in the Dominion lawsuit. Fox were the first ones to learn about it.

It's not clear who leaked it to the NYT, but it is the unredacted version of the redacted documents that are available on the court website. The unredacted version is sealed under court order, so it could only be:

- Someone from Dominion
- Someone from Fox
- Someone from the outside legal team Fox hired

There's only one party on this list that would have an interest in leaking only a single, relatively tame message, and that's Fox. Anyone else would have leaked more than one message, and would have chosen messages more blatantly objectionable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

There's only one party on this list that would have an interest in leaking only a single, relatively tame message, and that's Fox. Anyone else would have leaked more than one message, and would have chosen messages more blatantly objectionable.

My assumption was that Tucker leaked it, likely because he thinks the latter half of the quote makes him look better. I'm sure there's much more and much worse yet to be shown.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

It's possible, but Fox upped the amount they were willing to pay to settle by almost $200 million specifically to prevent all the information from becoming public. It would be odd to spend almost $200 million to keep it secret and then leak it two weeks later.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Failed Imagineer posted:

A 24 yr old killing a 30 yr old.

My guess is the kid is a tourist, and his victim, Jordan Neely, is known on the train, in community, and otherwise around the city.

A man, still cognitively developing at 24, traveli g in unfamiliar environments, with a mind and body trained by the US Marines to kill.

A tourist who either doesn't understand the concept of "hostile enemy territory" or understands it all too well.

I ride the train every day for work, or at least I used to before COVID. Now I bike when I can and ride the train otherwise. I'll be honest: it can be uncomfortable to witness how our system breaks people down up close, to see the victims of the stock market just a few miles away.

But to want to erase a life because it makes your uncomfortable is some cowardice like I can't imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Would this work? I have no idea.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1653734738178310144
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1653735905042087936
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1653737079967305734
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1653738203881381890