Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WarpedLichen posted:

I've always thought that the Ukraine interception rate was overinflated for propaganda purposes but I guess if even OSINT radio monitors can get advance notice of missile strikes there's no reason the military can't do the same and prepare.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1652838944797519877?cxt=HHwWisCz-euQiPAtAAAA

Not sure how much 6 hours of advance prep can help but it seems pretty significant to me.

Based on reports about civilian casualties, and very little fanfare from Russia from recent attacks, it does seem like the numbers are at least very close to real. What is maybe used for propaganda by Ukraine is when a downed missile hits residential area, and it's not clear if it was going to hit it anyway or was targeting a supposed military facility. But then I'm not sure even Ukraine would be able to confirm it either way reliably, while Russia obviously claim they only attack military targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Ukraine forms eight new ‘storm’ brigades for counterattack

"Move to recruit up to 40,000 troops aimed at inflicting heavy losses on Russia in Bakhmut area"

I guess they are still into the idea of grinding in Bakhmut
It's just a bad headline not matched by contents of article.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Based on reports about civilian casualties, and very little fanfare from Russia from recent attacks, it does seem like the numbers are at least very close to real. What is maybe used for propaganda by Ukraine is when a downed missile hits residential area, and it's not clear if it was going to hit it anyway or was targeting a supposed military facility. But then I'm not sure even Ukraine would be able to confirm it either way reliably, while Russia obviously claim they only attack military targets.

Did you miss the part where Russia hit a residential building, killing 20+ people including small children, and the Russian MoD posted the following image on their social media?

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1651864900220723200

The translation is "Right on target".

It happened last Friday. Russia isn't even pretending to only target military targets anymore.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1653456888971837462

Managing risks on those sorts of ops seems scary....

Are those fuel tankers?

E: holy God Twitter advertising has gone to poo poo. Just obnoxious video ads for stupid car cupholder gizmos

**IK note: please use timg tag in the future for big images (especially offtopic ones) to keep the thread cleaner**

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2023

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea I confused dead/casualty (despite actually working with casualties in the past 🙃)

The larger point still stands, though. 650 injured /130 dead per day would absolutely shut down a US brigade and overwhelm the medical logistics chain of them getting stabilized/sent further back for treatment.

Russia doesn't have a logistics chain for that right now. There is no medevac coming for lots of these guys. The footage coming out of the entrenched areas of Ukraine show Russian troops living in trenches with the bodies of their fallen just littered inside the trenches with the living. Welcome to modern combat with no established air superiority.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

spankmeister posted:

Did you miss the part where Russia hit a residential building, killing 20+ people including small children, and the Russian MoD posted the following image on their social media?

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1651864900220723200

The translation is "Right on target".

It happened last Friday. Russia isn't even pretending to only target military targets anymore.

I don't think a telegram post, even on the official ministry channel, is an actual admission of guilt. The official line still is (and always has been) that Russia only hits military targets, and if some civilians die, it's only because Ukraine puts military targets so close to civilians, if not outright that Ukraine bombs itself.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I'm not plugged into Russian news sources, but my understanding is that even there are claims about successes like ammo dumps or barracks that really don't get any time on Western channels due to lack of corroborating evidence.

I personally figured that stuff was quietly being hit and degraded but kept quiet for the most part. Maybe there's clear accounting of each missile strike and what got hit that I'm not aware of somewhere?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm not plugged into Russian news sources, but my understanding is that even there are claims about successes like ammo dumps or barracks that really don't get any time on Western channels due to lack of corroborating evidence.

I personally figured that stuff was quietly being hit and degraded but kept quiet for the most part. Maybe there's clear accounting of each missile strike and what got hit that I'm not aware of somewhere?

Russia doesnt have video/photo sources of its own for hit confirmation unless it is killcams from Lancets and has been flinging so much bullshit that any Russian MOD reports on 1488 killed nationalists from a single strike are ignored. OSINTers usually report hits from indenpendent confirmations.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 2, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

Arestovich is a known (entertaining) bullshit artist and was one even when he was an official and the account you are quoting is usually even worse

He's a hunk and he can psyops and esoteric-NLP-bullshit me all night any night

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

WarpedLichen posted:

I've always thought that the Ukraine interception rate was overinflated for propaganda purposes but I guess if even OSINT radio monitors can get advance notice of missile strikes there's no reason the military can't do the same and prepare.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1652838944797519877?cxt=HHwWisCz-euQiPAtAAAA

Not sure how much 6 hours of advance prep can help but it seems pretty significant to me.

6 hours is more than enough time to get air defenses ready. I think the US THAAD system needs something like 6 minutes notice. Modern air defenses are fast.

NomChompsky posted:

Russia doesn't have a logistics chain for that right now. There is no medevac coming for lots of these guys. The footage coming out of the entrenched areas of Ukraine show Russian troops living in trenches with the bodies of their fallen just littered inside the trenches with the living. Welcome to modern combat with no established air superiority.
Bolding mine. Russia's lack of casevac is not because they lack air superiority. They lack casevac because they have not invested in that process, and are content to let prisoners die in their thousands in exchange for investing resources on things other than casevac.

Ukraine's KIA:WIA ratio seems closer to 1:6 to 1:9, depending on the time and place. It's not as good as "US military with full air superiority, heliborne casevac to a full hospital 20km away", but it's still pretty good. Ukraine is helped, too, because their inidvidual first aid kits (IFAKs) are substantially better. They're actually better than the US had in 2003, even. Having things like proper bandages, coagulant powder, chest seals, and tourniquets go a long way to improving you chances of survival.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Ynglaur posted:

Ukraine is helped, too, because their inidvidual first aid kits (IFAKs) are substantially better. They're actually better than the US had in 2003, even.

Russian units have been deployed with these.
https://twitter.com/aldin_aba/status/1507056211056812038

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Eh, sometimes there just is a huge surplus of something. When I did my military service in Finland in 2003, we were one day given a large box of bandages to fill our pockets with. They were from 1937.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I remember similiar (if not the same) pictures showing up last year. While it is not ideal, having something other than the shirt off your back to pack a wound is preferable.
Any videos of them being rolled out? Assuming it does not just disintegrate or is hard as a rock once taken out of the package, there will be a use for it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The ones we were given for first aid training were from 1943. Still as good as new, stored well they don't really age it seems. Stored not so well I could see problems with mold and mice droppings among other things. The ones we carried on ourselves were new.

As they were wrapped in paper they wouldn't be as fit for front line, unless you put it in a zip lock bag or something.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Our mandatory car first aid kits in the EU have an expiration time of only a couple of years. Considering that the retail price is ~3 EUR and that the civilian economy is already buying millions of them each year to replace expired ones, it's absolutely mind boggling that an army wouldn't have a couple hundred thousand fresh ones in storage when going into a land war in Europe. But then again, this is only a quick three day operation. The Russian army is probably not even going to have any casualties at all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like Ukraine is trying to gut Russian fuel reserves before launching the counterattack

https://twitter.com/AmerLiberal/status/1653593381942054914

Zelensky is in Helsinki.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1653686152618995712

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 3, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Valiantman posted:

Eh, sometimes there just is a huge surplus of something. When I did my military service in Finland in 2003, we were one day given a large box of bandages to fill our pockets with. They were from 1937.

The point is that ancient kits are not as effective as what Ukraine or the US has, regardless of how well they are stored.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Valiantman posted:

THose were probably stored well so that they were still fairly resonably sound and sterile. Given this is Russian supplies, I do not think that the same thing could be said with any degree f certainty

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

THose were probably stored well so that they were still fairly resonably sound and sterile. Given this is Russian supplies, I do not think that the same thing could be said with any degree f certainty

Could imagine grabbing one of those to try to save my buddy and when I try to unravel it it cracks open like a paper mache sock

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

I wonder whether the high number of Russian attacks hitting civilian targets is a form of survivor bias too. Assuming that Ukraine has the bulk of it's air defense around military targets, it might be that the intercept rate is higher against missiles with legitimate targets. Maybe the ones that tend to get through, due to bad intel, incompetence or malice, are hitting places with no AA cover at all.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Umm holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1653725051974189063?t=1HHrag3djEgDmZ6PHMnipA&s=19

Government press service officially acknowledges there was a drone strike on Kremlin

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That owns.

Even in the event that it's a false flag it still implies real bad things for the Russian position.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If they actually cancel a 9th May parade in Moscow as a result thats going to be insanely embarrassing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Umm holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1653725051974189063?t=1HHrag3djEgDmZ6PHMnipA&s=19

Government press service officially acknowledges there was a drone strike on Kremlin

I'm skeptical. Maybe the Russians faked it so they can mobilize further.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 3, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Patriotic fervour ensues! (allegedly).

I think it's a false flag personally. :shrug:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

If they wanted to false flag it, wouldn't hitting something less legitimate as a target (like a residential block or something) make more sense though?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Another video

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1653734693257314304?t=wHOF8sZhtBu4Dq_cX_6mpQ&s=19

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more, not to mention make allies more hesitant to give fighter jets and long range missiles
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1653730144069058562

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 3, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Willo567 posted:

How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more

yeah i dont think you could really encourage russia more on that front

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

I wonder whether the high number of Russian attacks hitting civilian targets is a form of survivor bias too. Assuming that Ukraine has the bulk of it's air defense around military targets, it might be that the intercept rate is higher against missiles with legitimate targets. Maybe the ones that tend to get through, due to bad intel, incompetence or malice, are hitting places with no AA cover at all.

Russia has just hit another shopping centre, this time in Kherson, a clear example of an indiscriminate attack.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/three-civilians-killed-russian-attack-ukrainian-hypermarket-officials-2023-05-03/

At the very beginning of the war, Russians hit a shopping centre in Kyiv, and it later came out that the underground car park and/or storage facilities were used by the army in some capacity. Then there was an attack on a Krememenchuk shopping centre that was located close to a road machinery plant that kind of sort of maybe could have been used for military needs. Basically, the justification within the Russian MoD for those and later attacks on clearly civilian buildings is that if something can be used for military needs, it is a military target. The same exact justification was explicitly used when Russia tried to destroy Ukrainian energy infrastructure in addition to the angle of revenge for the Kerch bridge explosion. They choose to believe bad intel and/or their own faulty logic, and with that in mind, when choosing real or imagined military targets, they are likely to prioritise those with weaker air defence.

In the interest of balance, there are also reports of (maybe not as frequent) attacks by Ukraine that hit shopping centres, markets, and other civilian objects in Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The latest one I remember happened in April.

:nws::nms: for photos of dead bodies
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-seven-civilians-killed-ukraine-shelling-attacks-agencies-2023-04-06/

My understanding is Ukraine, like Russia, would need to use high-value long-distance ammunition for strikes like that, which doesn't make sense for non-military targets even if there was malicious intent behind them, so bad intel probably also contributes to it on both sides.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Willo567 posted:

How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more, not to mention make allies more hesitant to give fighter jets and long range missiles

Time for Putin to awaken his final form. The red square... has been crossed

fatherboxx posted:

Umm holy poo poo

This is loving insane lmao

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

The fact that it's pretty much hitting the flag is quite ridiculous. Feels like a cartoonish taunt.

I have trouble believing that Ukrainian drone could actually hit the kremlin of all places and it also does absolutely nothing for Ukraine so it feels like a false flag to me.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

KingColliwog posted:

The fact that it's pretty much hitting the flag is quite ridiculous. Feels like a cartoonish taunt.

I have trouble believing that Ukrainian drone could actually hit the kremlin of all places and it also does absolutely nothing for Ukraine so it feels like a false flag to me.

could be a false flag but at least the flag is real

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Ukraine has nothing to gain from something like this. And knowing how wacky Russia gets with its cartoonish schemes, this makes me think it was an inside job.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Ukraine has everything to gain from such a spectacular own of the bunker gnome's headquarters

Russia has nothing to gain by being embarrassed like this

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

You have to consider Ukraine's national myth though:

(Even if entirely inaccurate, as those things tend to be)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Drone fuel cant melt flagpoles

KingColliwog posted:

But it does - Putin is insanely paranoid and at the very least it is going to force even more AA and EW systems to be concentrated in Moscow instead of frontline

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I can't see that it would be a false flag, it's hugely embarrassing for the Russians if Ukraine can blow stuff up inside the Kremlin. Anything I can think they would gain from this could be done better by blowing up something else.

I think it's got to be Ukraine or internal opposition trying to ruin Putin's parade.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

yeah i dont think you could really encourage russia more on that front

They could use it to convince China to give them lethal aid, or try and rally up the population. They'll definitely try to hit the presidential office in Ukraine in their next mass missile attack on Ukraine I believe.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KingColliwog posted:

It doesn't have to be a Ukrainian drone. There is very little for Russia to gain from a false flag attack. Remember, they prefer to explain away successful Ukrainian attacks with negligent smokers where it's even remotely plausible. The official narrative is that the war is needed so that the rest of Russia can stay safe and peaceful, and any attack deep into Russian territory goes against that narrative and shows that the war only makes everyone less safe.