Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I knew there were AoL rom hacks that made the game a little friendlier but I had no idea there was a full on PC remake that adds a ton of improvements and areas to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-dKL4S898

https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/v1if4a/aoloc_zelda_2_fan_game_zelda_ii_enhanced_pc/ posted:

Hi Reddit, my name is HoverBat and I made a Zelda II fan game.

I grew up playing Zelda II and still enjoy playing it to this day. I love the adventure and combat of the game but the original feels unfinished and lacking content so I built an engine to add more.

I don't have an official title for it yet hence the various ones in the post title.

ABOUT THE GAME:

Made with GameMaker 1.4 and Tiled mapeditor.

It is a direct translation from the original game's Assembly code to GML(GameMaker Language), therefore the physics, combat, AI, etc.., perform exactly as the original.

Some of the original mechanics and logic have been modified for QOL(Quality of Life) or to fix original game bugs.

It is widescreen (480x270).

All of the original game's content is included and I have added various extra content.

QOL(Quality of Life) MODIFICATIONS:

Saving System: Most towns have an NPC that will save your game

A dungeon map showing you the rooms you've visited so far

An overworld map that shows your immediate vicinity in the overworld and the name of the area

Extra Life Dolls are permanent. When loading a save file or continuing after a game over, your lives are 3 + (number of dolls acquired)

You retain 25% of your XP when continuing after a game over

Saving in a town will retain ALL of your XP

HUD displays an icon of the stat that's next in line to level up

Background flashing is off by default and instead is solid red. This can be toggled in the options menu

Continuing a game from a game over starts you at the dungeon's entrance if you died in a dungeon

Continuing a game from file select starts you at the town you saved at

The spell chosen for casting shows in the HUD

Your current MP shows as a number at the top of the spell menu

Unaffordable spells have different color

Active spells have a different color, though they can still be cast. (the diff color can be toggled in the options menu)

Wisemen refill your MP

Low HP beeping less frequent after 8th beep

You only have to talk to Riverman once to activate Saria bridge

Key count shows in HUD

Faster dialogue speed

Various other things..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

That is my other issue with her direction as well, tbqh. The 'all fantasy is english' trope needs to die a horrible death.

If you're gonna give them British accents... Maybe try some different ones? I'd love to play a game with Glaswegian or Scouse accents.

For the next generation of consoles Nintendo should switch things up a little bit. Give Mario a vague British accent but make Zelda Italian

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

That is my other issue with her direction as well, tbqh. The 'all fantasy is english' trope needs to die a horrible death.

If you're gonna give them British accents... Maybe try some different ones? I'd love to play a game with Glaswegian or Scouse accents.

CUNO DOESN'T CARE

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
So I'm realizing that the combination of using ultrahand and recall to create custom moving platforms anywhere in the world could be kind of broken.

UH a platform to the top of a cliff then back down, get on and recall up. Send a platform around above a moblin camp then get on and use it as a mobile assault platform. Get across water, or anything else.

It owns but it might be too much of a one size fits all solution

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Nintendo, please exclusively present Zelda as finnish in all future releases and remasters tia

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why do people get so weird about stuff like this? It's perfectly fine to not like the voice acting in a game, dropping an incel equivalency feels kind of offputting.

I'll cop to falling into the same trap, of bandwagoning onto some comments about performative dislike for the acting, and escalating further.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Re: Voice acting, I think the talent is fine I agree with several people here that the issue is direction, there's a lack of consistency in how certain characters speak.

And mixing. Everyone kind of just sounds like they're standing in a booth. I don't know enough about sound mixing to get specific but everyone always sounds a little too clear and close by considering how much of the game is set outdoors.

Hell, even Matt Mercer in the trailer sounds a bit off imo. His performance is fine, it's just too... clean? Am I crazy?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Senrab posted:

Am I crazy?

yes

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Hmm good point.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
My 2 cents: Helloooo, I'm the king of Hyrule and I sound like the worst impression of an old man ever.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The way I've had it described to me, and I agree with it, is that Zelda sounds like a total dork trying to sound posh and sophisticated and that's fine because she is

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Icedude posted:

The way I've had it described to me, and I agree with it, is that Zelda sounds like a total dork trying to sound posh and sophisticated and that's fine because she is

Vague fake posh accent does fit her character of an expert who constantly has to wing it and isn't confident in themselves.

Senrab
May 10, 2012

RickRogers posted:

My 2 cents: Helloooo, I'm the king of Hyrule and I sound like the worst impression of an old man ever.

Ahh, hello your majesty I am Impa and I sound like the worst impression of an old woman ever!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Dave posted:

I knew there were AoL rom hacks that made the game a little friendlier but I had no idea there was a full on PC remake that adds a ton of improvements and areas to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-dKL4S898

I should add that to my nes mini...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

You've played Xenoblade 2 right? Cause your party is a brummie, two scots, a welsh catgirl, a tiger who speaks in RP and uh. I forget what Zeke and Pandoria are.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

I should add that to my nes mini...

fwiw it's a GameMaker game, not a romhack
but yeah it's really cool

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The voice acting didn't stand out to me as too bad but other than recently playing Witcher 3 my experience with voice acting in games stops at like Shenmue 2.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really have a problem with anyones voice acting per say, beyond that it still feels vaguely transgressive that everyone has voice acting beyond grunts/yells. Like Matt Mercerdorf sounds fine but like... there's words in Ganondorfs mouth now. Don't feel right to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The voice acting seems good to me, for what the game and series is. The entire draw of the Zelda series is basically that it is a more-or-less fixed set of elements (themselves heavily rooted in cliche) remixed and retold in various ways for decades. Having hard-hitting subversive VO direction almost seems like it would be against the spirit of it all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The voice acting should have just been random nonsense British words in a Banjo Kazooie style

Oi bruv innit innit gahyuck posh wanka innit bruv bruv loo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Caidin posted:

I don't really have a problem with anyones voice acting per say, beyond that it still feels vaguely transgressive that everyone has voice acting beyond grunts/yells. Like Matt Mercerdorf sounds fine but like... there's words in Ganondorfs mouth now. Don't feel right to me.
Having voice acting definitely feels like a departure, but I don't think it's out of place. There were words in Ganondorf's mouth the whole time after all

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Banjo Kazooie and Animal Crossing perfected NPC voiceovers but other games are too weak to copy their good ideas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spanish Manlove posted:

The voice acting should have just been random nonsense British words in a Luigi's Mansion style

Zabu-zabu

Press X to Princess Zelda, since the horse whistle is about as useful.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Prince's Elda > Princess Zelda

*Symbols Prince, if unclear

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Wasn’t the religion of the game going to be Christianity for a minute before they made one up? Not that it was a long walk from trinity to triforce.

The end of OoT is the Easter story of you really think about it? I’m clearly not the person to map this out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Link isn't crucified enough to be a good Neo from the bible analogue

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The voice acting didn't stand out to me as too bad but other than recently playing Witcher 3 my experience with voice acting in games stops at like Shenmue 2.

I’m looking for some dodongos, do you know where I could find some dodongos?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

superjew posted:

Wasn’t the religion of the game going to be Christianity for a minute before they made one up? Not that it was a long walk from trinity to triforce.

The end of OoT is the Easter story of you really think about it? I’m clearly not the person to map this out.

It’s not too late for them to do an ICP and reveal it’s been about following Jesus the whole time

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Can BoTW be set to Japanese voice acting with english subs? Honestly I thought Gannon's va in the ToTK ads sounded terrible and I'd like to see other language options when it comes out.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

superjew posted:

Link's shield did have a cross in the original and I just read the magic book was actually called the Bible in Japan and you know it makes sense. In Catholicism, when the Bible is used with a magic wand it gains the power of flame.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Overtly Christian Zelda does exist, though, and it's called Spiritual Warfare.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Bokoblins as the lost tribes.... It's all coming together :hmmyes:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A Link to the Past also features an obviously Christian church and Link prays like a Catholic to open the desert palace but I think that's the extent of it. I don't think mirroring Christianity was necessarily the intent rather it was probably incorporating real religious elements which in some instances were Christian and in others, other religions.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Senrab posted:

Re: Voice acting, I think the talent is fine I agree with several people here that the issue is direction, there's a lack of consistency in how certain characters speak.

And mixing. Everyone kind of just sounds like they're standing in a booth. I don't know enough about sound mixing to get specific but everyone always sounds a little too clear and close by considering how much of the game is set outdoors.

Hell, even Matt Mercer in the trailer sounds a bit off imo. His performance is fine, it's just too... clean? Am I crazy?

You’re not crazy, I’ve done studio mixing and agree 100% that it’s too dry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, maybe he's not fully rehydrated yet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Costco Meatballs posted:

So I'm realizing that the combination of using ultrahand and recall to create custom moving platforms anywhere in the world could be kind of broken.

UH a platform to the top of a cliff then back down, get on and recall up. Send a platform around above a moblin camp then get on and use it as a mobile assault platform. Get across water, or anything else.

It owns but it might be too much of a one size fits all solution

I'm pretty sure these new abilities can definitely be heavily abused, but it owns how flexible they are.

I feel like one ability it's going to take a while for people to become used to is Ascend. There are a lot of situations where you can use it but your brain, trained by decades of playing other platformers, will be thinking "how to climb on top of this thing." Or you'll be trying to use Ultrahand to figure out something that can be dealt with far more easily with Ascend. There were a couple parts where I thought I needed to build a bridge and looked around for materials (which didn't exist), and only afterwards realized I could simply drop below the other end and Ascend up into it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I spent time on this one puzzle trying to ultrahand something together to maybe pull this chest towards me or get over to it and actually it wasn't a puzzle it was literally just sitting there and you can walk up to it after hopping the small platform it was on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Maroon Hawk posted:

You’re not crazy, I’ve done studio mixing and agree 100% that it’s too dry

it’s a really common problem tbqh and it’s a mixture of “actors aren’t given any context for their lines” and “producers don’t think audio mixing is that important”

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I spent time on this one puzzle trying to ultrahand something together to maybe pull this chest towards me or get over to it and actually it wasn't a puzzle it was literally just sitting there and you can walk up to it after hopping the small platform it was on.

I remember trying to reach a ledge in the OOT Fire Temple that I just needed to jump across and grab onto. Missed the first attempt, figured it was too far, then spent 24 hours severely overthinking it before I tried jumping again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Senrab posted:

Ahh, hello your majesty I am Impa and I sound like the worst impression of an old woman ever!

Dunkey should do VA for some of these characters IMO