Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tired Moritz posted:

I think the hair is uggo so I will not switch.

SMT 5's Miyazu was right there and already basically fem Joker!

NikkolasKing posted:

Gotta play SMTIV Apocalypse for that.

Still waiting for nocturne fanart to become a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Irisize posted:

I gave the mod a try and I'd honestly call it closer to a v0.1 than a v1.0 like it says it is. From what I can tell, the main story (everything past the cold open) and confidants are still unedited despite the mod page talking about all the cool changes they'll make. About the only thing that's actually changed right now is the model swap to the female Joker. Which, while I'm sure is technically impressive, well...

oh dang, that's a shame.

From what it says on the page it sounds like all of that stuff was completed, but I guess that's more of an aspirational roadmap

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irisize posted:

I gave the mod a try and I'd honestly call it closer to a v0.1 than a v1.0 like it says it is. From what I can tell, the main story (everything past the cold open) and confidants are still unedited despite the mod page talking about all the cool changes they'll make. About the only thing that's actually changed right now is the model swap to the female Joker. Which, while I'm sure is technically impressive, well...

That sucks. The mod page made it sound finished

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

this is cool as heck and I'm gonna have to do another P5R playthrough with it. Super cool that they modded in additional romances as well, and judging from how many text changes there are it sounds like they basically were able to get everything outside of anime cutscenes and a couple misc things like the title screen.

I can't believe how fast they were able to turn this around!

Thanks, that's p cool, and GL on their dedication to the mod.

Irisize posted:

Welp, I admit I got too overly excited and now to wait for it to be actually done now :sigh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wish they'd gone the P3 route and made a lady Joker with a completely opposite color scheme, but I suppose most people looking for a mod like this are looking for literally Joker, but girl.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I wish they'd gone the P3 route and made a lady Joker with a completely opposite color scheme, but I suppose most people looking for a mod like this are looking for literally Joker, but girl.

:yeah:

I feel like even changing Joker's model is a challenge and there is a WIP of a P4:G with a different FeMC too on the same site.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 2, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waste of Breath posted:

SMT 5's Miyazu was right there and already basically fem Joker!

I really wish we could get SMT5 on PC. But Nintendo funded the game, so zero chance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's fully emulatable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

It's fully emulatable.

How good is performance? I will give that a try, thank you for the heads up.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

I said come in! posted:

How good is performance? I will give that a try, thank you for the heads up.

Anything would be better than the performance on the switch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You can now play the fan translated P2 Eternal Punishment PSP with the official English dub of P2EP PSX.

Dammit I gotta replay this too now.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The best part about the PSP port is that you no longer have to step in literally every square of the map for the mapping sidequests.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Ngl, I was kinda bummed about having to do an undubbed run but this is fantastic news

I’m sorry I have way too much nostalgia for the EP dub and wouldn’t replace it for anything

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SubG posted:

The best part about the PSP port is that you no longer have to step in literally every square of the map for the mapping sidequests.

Then they went and put that same dumb mechanic into Persona Q.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waste of Breath posted:

Anything would be better than the performance on the switch.

Tried it out last night, and it felt like it was just substituting one technical issue for another. It got 60fps, but barely most of the time, had long pauses, and lots of stuttering. Would just really prefer a native port to PC. I have finished SMTV on Switch, but felt sad about how much the performance really ruined the experience.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Item Getter posted:

This is one of those mechanics that surfaced in another game I picked up recently (Digimon World: New Order) that always seems to be lurking around in the JRPG genre. I do not understand who looks at gameplay loops and goes, "Yes, hunting for the little sliver of pathable terrain that has nothing else in it to paint in the last map square is fun and engaging."

Use points of interests like everyone else, and make sure they all have a reason for me to go there--if not mechanically than for a "wow this is pretty!" reaction.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Item Getter posted:

I like it in Persona Q because of course I'm going to walk in every square in an EO game. And it's easy enough to identify which bits you still need to do, and the locked chest will helpfully highlight them if you need help. And of course you can always go back to any levels you missed the first time through. None of which are true of the original Eternal Punishment.

And that's not even getting into the encounter rate.

PQ also makes it very easy to one-shot random encounters more or less indefinitely.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I said come in! posted:

Tried it out last night, and it felt like it was just substituting one technical issue for another. It got 60fps, but barely most of the time, had long pauses, and lots of stuttering. Would just really prefer a native port to PC. I have finished SMTV on Switch, but felt sad about how much the performance really ruined the experience.

That's a bummer to hear. I would definitely be happy to rebuy on PC, so still keeping my fingers crossed. As gorgeous as the game is, I already know I won't do a second playthrough on switch based on performance alone. I'd kill for a steam deck capable pc release...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SubG posted:

I like it in Persona Q because of course I'm going to walk in every square in an EO game. And it's easy enough to identify which bits you still need to do, and the locked chest will helpfully highlight them if you need help. And of course you can always go back to any levels you missed the first time through. None of which are true of the original Eternal Punishment.

And that's not even getting into the encounter rate.

PQ also makes it very easy to one-shot random encounters more or less indefinitely.
Also, in PQ you don't have to literally step on every tile, you just need to have the floor accurately mapped.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I think the hair is uggo so I will not switch.

Yeah, my main issue with that P5 FeMC is that she looks *way* took similar to the male MC (the head basically just looks like male MC with a wig). Part of why the P3 FeMC works is that she doesn't look like the male one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Also, in PQ you don't have to literally step on every tile, you just need to have the floor accurately mapped.
Kinda. It doesn't require you to step on every tile, but you do have to step on most of them. You can't just mark damage tiles, for example. Notably, it doesn't require that you step on tiles with static FOEs and things like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my main issue with that P5 FeMC is that she looks *way* took similar to the male MC (the head basically just looks like male MC with a wig). Part of why the P3 FeMC works is that she doesn't look like the male one.

She also has a different personality, being significantly more cheery. Obviously way out of scope for a simple model-swap mod but just off the top of my head I think a FeMC for P5 would have a much different, more visceral reaction to all the Kamoshida poo poo, Yusuke threatening Ann to strip, etc than male Joker does.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sydin posted:

She also has a different personality, being significantly more cheery. Obviously way out of scope for a simple model-swap mod but just off the top of my head I think a FeMC for P5 would have a much different, more visceral reaction to all the Kamoshida poo poo, Yusuke threatening Ann to strip, etc than male Joker does.

Everyone is not wrong but in this reality, we just have this mod's existence or nothing from atlus :shobon:

I ended up installing it and I'm doing NG+ so I'm curious how much the events or SL changed now to different romances. The long hair actually looks p cute in-game now I see her walking around in the uniform.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Alder posted:

Everyone is not wrong but in this reality, we just have this mod's existence or nothing from atlus :shobon:

I ended up installing it and I'm doing NG+ so I'm curious how much the events or SL changed now to different romances. The long hair actually looks p cute in-game now I see her walking around in the uniform.

Definitely update with what's changed. I'm super interested in trying it, but if it's just the model swap alone right now I'll probably wait a bit later (plus I like.. literally just finished Royal for the first time earlier this year, probably better to give it a longer break)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SubG posted:

I like it in Persona Q because of course I'm going to walk in every square in an EO game.

To me it's the opposite, actually because it's an EO game I can map most of the area manually just from looking at the view in front of me without having to step on certain tiles to have the game fill everything into the automap like a non-EO game would be. Sure there are invisible encounter/event things on tiles but they are usually in predictable places like dead ends rather than just some random square in the middle of a room. And they're never on damage tiles

SubG posted:

Kinda. It doesn't require you to step on every tile, but you do have to step on most of them. You can't just mark damage tiles, for example. Notably, it doesn't require that you step on tiles with static FOEs and things like that.

Yeah, the fact that it expects you to step on all the damage tiles was always the really dumb part of it for me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You can just use Play Coins to open those chests. The more you step on beforehand, the cheaper it gets. You can just not step on the damage tiles.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

You can just use Play Coins to open those chests. The more you step on beforehand, the cheaper it gets. You can just not step on the damage tiles.

This is how I always opened them

Plus I never did find a use for play coins for anything else, so I always had way more than enough to my memory

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hit up the Persona 25th Fes in Osaka today. It was alright, some neat statues of Thanatos/Izanagi/Arsene (I guess FeMC existing made them use Thanatos instead of Orpheus?). Merch is a bit pricey so I didn't get too much, just got the blind box options for each of the modern games.

No Shinjiro who I would have liked, but very pleased with the results.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Definitely update with what's changed. I'm super interested in trying it, but if it's just the model swap alone right now I'll probably wait a bit later (plus I like.. literally just finished Royal for the first time earlier this year, probably better to give it a longer break)

So far I visited the 2nd time at the 1st Palace and I read that the actual romance changes will be "come later" and not in the mod yet. It's unclear but so far most of the script is just ppl referring to Joker as You or He/Him in other settings.

Mostly I feel the novelty of FeMC walking around with the others so the game progress is slow now I realize mostly a model change.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Finally beat Persona 3 so next is Persona 4. I really liked the story of 3. I also didn't think the QOL features it was missing were as terrible as I thought they would be.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hit up the Persona 25th Fes in Osaka today. It was alright, some neat statues of Thanatos/Izanagi/Arsene (I guess FeMC existing made them use Thanatos instead of Orpheus?).

I went to that as well a couple weeks ago. Thought the most interesting thing was seeing the game pitches and the other documents, like the P4 section also had what appeared to be an un-used girl protag design.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Finally beat Persona 3 so next is Persona 4. I really liked the story of 3. I also didn't think the QOL features it was missing were as terrible as I thought they would be.

Which version did you play? The original is really the only one that presents QOL issues, FES and Portable fix some of the more egregious ones. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it, 3 has my favorite story out of all the SMT games I've played.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Which version did you play? The original is really the only one that presents QOL issues, FES and Portable fix some of the more egregious ones. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it, 3 has my favorite story out of all the SMT games I've played.

I think even P3P (the most recent one) has some notable QoL issues, like having to constantly reset fusions for the right combinations of skills and the compendium being very pricey.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Something minor I noticed about the original P5's endgame section

I get the feeling that Qlipoth World was originally supposed to actually fuse with Tokyo and not just be yet another dungeon, mostly on account of the fact that you get Third Eye in the real world but it never actually gets used for anything. The animated cutscenes don't really contradict this either. It would have been pretty neat for the Qlipoth stuff to suddenly happen while the crew is at Shujin and then you have to fight your way out of Shujin, catbus your way to Shibuya along the subway tracks, fight through the Shibuya subway, then catbus to Yongen Jaya to climb some final dungeon that magically appeared there or whatever. Something like that.

They seem to have revisited this idea in Strikers but then cut the real-world side of things: the jails are mostly overlays on top of the real world cities you visit, but only the starting areas are explorable outside the jails. It would have been neat to have shopping locations and sidequests in Bunkamachi or whatever. The bits that were implemented were still pretty nice, it was neat to go shopping and intel-gathering around Sendai Station or Suzushino or Shinsekai and then go parkouring around fighting shadows in the equivalent Jail location.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sapozhnik posted:

I get the feeling that Qlipoth World was originally supposed to actually fuse with Tokyo and not just be yet another dungeon, mostly on account of the fact that you get Third Eye in the real world but it never actually gets used for anything. The animated cutscenes don't really contradict this either. It would have been pretty neat for the Qlipoth stuff to suddenly happen while the crew is at Shujin and then you have to fight your way out of Shujin, catbus your way to Shibuya along the subway tracks, fight through the Shibuya subway, then catbus to Yongen Jaya to climb some final dungeon that magically appeared there or whatever. Something like that.

They seem to have revisited this idea in Strikers but then cut the real-world side of things: the jails are mostly overlays on top of the real world cities you visit, but only the starting areas are explorable outside the jails. It would have been neat to have shopping locations and sidequests in Bunkamachi or whatever. The bits that were implemented were still pretty nice, it was neat to go shopping and intel-gathering around Sendai Station or Suzushino or Shinsekai and then go parkouring around fighting shadows in the equivalent Jail location.

real world third eye finds you conmfidants and sellers

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It was Portable. I didn't find the price to high for the condominium because by the end of the game I was swimming in more money then I could ever possibly spend. The only QOL I really missed is finding out which confidants were available from the town map. I definitely liked 3s story more than 5 although I still love 5. Hopefully 4 is just as fun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I was gonna say that I thought it was taken from a crossdressing DLC, but the outfit I'm thinking of is from P5D. At any rate yeah, it does just look like Joker but with really minor changes to their outfits. Even in games where the male/female MCs are meant to share the same core design moreso than P3's, they're way more distinct than this.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 5, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was Portable. I didn't find the price to high for the condominium because by the end of the game I was swimming in more money then I could ever possibly spend. The only QOL I really missed is finding out which confidants were available from the town map. I definitely liked 3s story more than 5 although I still love 5. Hopefully 4 is just as fun.

4 also has the same issue re: social links, but most of your SLs are concentrated in two or three areas so it's a lot easier to navigate around and the game will remind you for a few that aren't immediately obvious. There's maybe about 3-4 of them that are fairly easy to miss if you're not hunting for them, though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
MC joined a hair band in prision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah there was a bried discussion on this last month.

anakha posted:

It's probably close to that, yeah, but that opening cutscene (plus Joker's awakening) suggests that there wasn't supposed to be a completely separate metaverse if Joker could move around and interact with real people while in costume.

Maybe that melding of the worlds that was happening near the end of vanilla P5 was supposed to be central to the original storyline.

I suspect the game's original planned storyline based on the anime cutscenes had more of the 'shadow world making its way into the real world' that started the storyline of SMTV, and that the PTs interacting with real people and with cognitive beings in the same setting was central to the original plot.