Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ardryn posted:

Oh yes, it's very much worth noting that the D15/PS are massive rear end dual-tower coolers packed with heat pipes (the PS has 7), and the 216 at least has a very open interior and comes with two 160mm fans in front and a 140mm in back, and the 78 is a 'dinky' little 8-core processor. I knew all this going in, the case will last me hopefully until the improbable death of ATX design and the PS will hopefully get adapters for whatever I go for down the line.

Nothing wrong with 3/4ths kilo of overkill! Especially with noctua and thermalright both having good track records of supporting coolers with upgrade kits for later sockets.

X3D chips just tend to have hotter observed temperatures than normal chips, even with overkill cooling, due to the cache chip sitting between the cores and the IHS+cooler. It's a (mild) insulating layer.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

What's the best way to make sure I get notified of such a sale? I don't necessarily need it, but now that I have spare memory and a GPU sitting around I might as well do this too and piece towards turning the 3950X into a networking mule.

I'd do PCpartpicker + camelcamelcamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
7X3D actually seem somewhat easy to cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgiBcD7bBaw

wish i could say the same for my 5800X3D with a D15, but i just raised the minimum fan curve temp trigger, increased the hysteresis duration, and called it a day

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I have a 7950x3D on a Prosiphon Elite in a Fractal Torrent case, and I can't make it break 70C in Prime95.

Before the new BIOS revisions it was stable with a -20mv offset, but after it started throwing errors in OCCT, so I had to back off on that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For all the people with multi-CCD X3D chips, I'm curious whether you've installed the nonsense that parks cores completely, or whether you manage it by using start.exe /affinity to dictate which cores a process runs on.

It seems to me that parking the cores completely mean that even background processes can't run on them, whereas with affinity adjustments you can at least make sure background cores aren't taking away per-core cputime from the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the 7000 X3D chips have tweaked voltage curves and they just can't draw enough power to be a problem. This means they run cooler than the non-X3D chips unless you undervolt/power limit those.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

For all the people with multi-CCD X3D chips, I'm curious whether you've installed the nonsense that parks cores completely, or whether you manage it by using start.exe /affinity to dictate which cores a process runs on.

It seems to me that parking the cores completely mean that even background processes can't run on them, whereas with affinity adjustments you can at least make sure background cores aren't taking away per-core cputime from the game.

I don't bother, tbh. But if I need to for some reason, I use Process Lasso to do the "soft" affinity adjustment just like the AMD first party solution does.

E: cpu sets: https://bitsum.com/processlasso-docs/#cpusets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, the 7000 X3D chips have tweaked voltage curves and they just can't draw enough power to be a problem. This means they run cooler than the non-X3D chips unless you undervolt/power limit those.

That makes sense. The 5800x3d definitely seems to needs an AIO to hold 4.5 but it’s not like 4.3 is that different.

OTOH who can argue with RGBs and 200MHz?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD back in the red in their financials, although not as bad as Intel. Client computing absolutely collapsed, just like with Intel, and it doesn't seem like their server push has been nearly as successful as I thought it was going to be. Flat YoY.

Their "gaming" segment was still strong though, which we know isnt the GPU portion, so I imagine that is Steam Deck and PS5/Xbone/future PS5 Pro money.

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1128/amd-reports-first-quarter-2023-financial-results

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Would have had to wait or hunt around the town for Arctic case fans, but a few PWM Pure Wings 2 were in stock. Ran out of patience, so I now have two 140mms for the front and a 120mm for the top of the 110R. Would have bought a third 140 if they'd had it.

So those are going in. If the airflow situation doesn't improve radically and the mood carries me, I might take a good hard look at what the front panel is made from (I doubt it's stronger than Bosch).
Looking at tower coolers next, though slightly hesitant to start disassembling what basically works (and to spend more money). Peerless Assassin nowhere to be seen unfortunately - probably could order from Germany or something. Anything else come close in terms of value? There's a selection of Arctic Freezers for example, which might be a couple of days to order but are listed at least.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 3, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

AMD back in the red in their financials, although not as bad as Intel. Client computing absolutely collapsed, just like with Intel, and it doesn't seem like their server push has been nearly as successful as I thought it was going to be. Flat YoY.

Their "gaming" segment was still strong though, which we know isnt the GPU portion, so I imagine that is Steam Deck and PS5/Xbone/future PS5 Pro money.

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1128/amd-reports-first-quarter-2023-financial-results

The consoles seem to be continuing to pay off for AMD as a lifeline of low-margin volume when times are tough. It's pretty good business that they hung onto them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Duuk posted:

Looking at tower coolers next, though slightly hesitant to start disassembling what basically works (and to spend more money). Peerless Assassin nowhere to be seen unfortunately - probably could order from Germany or something. Anything else come close in terms of value? There's a selection of Arctic Freezers for example, which might be a couple of days to order but are listed at least.

Arctic Freezers are fine. In the US they're more expensive than other budget solutions, but where you are they might be cheaper -- arctic are based in germany.

Ideally you'd like the 34 or 35, which are 120mm fan size, but tbqh the cheaper ones with 100mm fans would do fine. (A 100mm fan isn't easily replaceable if it dies though.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, like, the main difference from the 5000 series is that the plain X non-3D chips boost until they're at thermal max or the VRM cries uncle. A 7950X will draw over 250 watts! Everything is relative and the X3D having sane power limits makes it seem nice and cool by comparison.

OTOH I should have been looking at GN this whole time because the 7800X3D does draw fewer watts than the 5800X3D. So it really is easier to cool than its predecessor, regardless of the insulator effect.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Twerk from Home posted:

The consoles seem to be continuing to pay off for AMD as a lifeline of low-margin volume when times are tough. It's pretty good business that they hung onto them.

nvidia has only themselves to blame for this, apparently they were very difficult to work with on the original xbox and ps3. Nintendo seems to be doing alright at least.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's also just the fact that AMD were the only supplier in a position to make a half decent console SOC at the time

intel had good CPUs with bad GPUs attached, and nvidia had good GPUs with bad CPUs attached

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nvidia's performing the best among the big three financially due to high margin AI facing products so I don't think they're missing out by not being in consoles

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

New Zealand can eat me posted:

The least worst it's ever been was when DDR4 was new,

because intel 6/7th gen sucked hard enough to put people off DDR4

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Palladium posted:

because intel 6/7th gen sucked hard enough to put people off DDR4

This feels really revisionist, Skylake was great and people were enthusiastic about 6600/6700K chips.

Early DDR4 was before then when the HEDT platform used DDR4 while the client platform was still on DDR3.

The 5820K was a hell of a great product and stood the test of time. 6 hyper-threaded cores for under $400 with quad channel DDR4 at the time when $250 desktop i5s were quad cores without hyper-threading? Hell yeah.

You could do 8 DIMM DDR4 builds for cheap-ish.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Nvidia's performing the best among the big three financially due to high margin AI facing products so I don't think they're missing out by not being in consoles

AMD's margins on each console APU are rumored to be 10-15%. While not the kings ransom Nvidia gets for their AI stuff, given the volume of sales, they are indeed missing out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yudo posted:

AMD's margins on each console APU are rumored to be 10-15%. While not the kings ransom Nvidia gets for their AI stuff, given the volume of sales, they are indeed missing out.

The 2nd best selling console of all time and still 2nd best selling at the moment is effectively a rebranded off the shelf Nvidia design.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
boy this asus beta bios sure is taking it's sweet time coming out of beta.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

runaway dog posted:

I think the official version of AGESA 1.0.0.7 is supposed to come out May 6th, and the non-beta BIOS versions should be using that, right?

https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1652659459024654336?s=20

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

runaway dog posted:

first-time.jpg

i've resigned myself to just never getting the update to x470 that adds curve optimization support

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kibner posted:

I think the official version of AGESA 1.0.0.7 is supposed to come out May 6th, and the non-beta BIOS versions should be using that, right?

https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1652659459024654336?s=20
Yeah, as far as I know, AGESA 1.0.0.7 has the fixes for VSOC stuff, and maybe some other stuff that was found - and like you said, it's not out yet.

All the parts that the local retailer ordered for my new system has arrived, but the GPU, monitor and SSD I bought before still haven't arrived - though at least I finally figured out the backorder issues, so supposedly it should arrive by the 10th of May.
If I'm lucky, Asrock will have finished integrating and distributing firmware with AGESA 1.0.0.7 by then.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I am 100% sure gigabyte will have bugs in their new bios, because oh boy does f5b have issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2n4rOWehtQ

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

yeah the agesa 1.0.0.7 one is 1410 and it's currently in beta, gigabyte got one too that apparently is not labelled beta, and buildzoid was having his board shoot up to 1.4+ still while tweaking completely unrelated things, and it was also just straight up ignoring his settings.

wargames posted:

I am 100% sure gigabyte will have bugs in their new bios, because oh boy does f5b have issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2n4rOWehtQ

laffo, almost same time

edit: oh that's not even 1.0.0.7 oops

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

runaway dog posted:

laffo, almost same time

edit: oh that's not even 1.0.0.7 oops

too slow nerd! but yeah he is running the emergency 1.0.0.6 bios that SHOULD LOCK THE VCORE TO 1.3.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

wargames posted:

too slow nerd! but yeah he is running the emergency 1.0.0.6 bios that SHOULD LOCK THE VCORE TO 1.3.

someone put the decibel in the wrong place again

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I think its the multiple menus/expo in fighting with one another one, or multiple areas adding an offset. like expo is adding 0.2v offset and something else is adding another 0.1v offset or something.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

The 2nd best selling console of all time and still 2nd best selling at the moment is effectively a rebranded off the shelf Nvidia design.

Nvidia is still missing out. AMD is too. Monopoly is the most viable tech business strategy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

bonus: it's on a legacy node so they can keep pumping them out without eating into their wafer allocation for high-margin products

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

bonus: it's on a legacy node so they can keep pumping them out without eating into their wafer allocation for high-margin products

Oberon is 7nm. While not exactly legacy, it isn't competing with any of their other high margin products in terms of wafer allocation.

Edit: from AMD's earnings call, it is clear that consoles are the only thing keeping their consumer graphics division relevant (as much as they want to tout the sales of the 7900xtx).

Yudo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we're talking about the switch, which is currently on TSMC 16nm (formerly TSMC 20nm)

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

we're talking about the switch, which is currently on TSMC 16nm (formerly TSMC 20nm)

Oh, lol, fair enough. My mistake.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

Switch 2 could use that new amd z1 APU and that would just dunk on switch 1 hard.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it won't though, the nvidia leak all but confirmed they're making the next gen switch SOC

the console makers aren't likely to switch teams for as long they want to maintain 100% backwards compatibility

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

We got a leak, it's 95% likely at this point that the Switch 2 is the Tegra Orin Nano: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Orin

Ampere on Samsung 8nm, and Nintendo isn't a rush to get it out so it's going to be insanely dirt cheap on an old node by the time they get around to launching it, just the way Nintendo likes it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

repiv posted:

it won't though, the nvidia leak all but confirmed they're making the next gen switch SOC

the console makers aren't likely to switch teams for as long they want to maintain 100% backwards compatibility

When has Nintendo ever cared about that? Nintendo has history wanted to use cheaper hardware so they can profit off of console sales as well as games. Sony and MS accepted losses on the consoles but made up for in game sales. So the amd z1 might be too much $ for that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the GBA, DS, 3DS, wii and wii u could all play previous generation titles with near-100% compatibility, and the switch gets a pass since the form factor change made backward compatibility impractical

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 4, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Did AMD fully shut down / sell off / give up at making ARM CPUs? I feel like Ampere, AWS, and Apple have already done the hard work, and software portability to ARM is the best that it's ever been.

ARM may not be the outright fastest option for single-threaded work, but my understanding is that there is some power efficiency to be had and ARM on a modern node like TSMC 5nm beats both current Epyc and Xeon for power efficiency. Either that, or AWS is running their ARM pricing as a loss leader right now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Did AMD fully shut down / sell off / give up at making ARM CPUs?

Pretty much yes.

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like Ampere, AWS, and Apple have already done the hard work, and software portability to ARM is the best that it's ever been.

ARM may not be the outright fastest option for single-threaded work, but my understanding is that there is some power efficiency to be had and ARM on a modern node like TSMC 5nm beats both current Epyc and Xeon for power efficiency. Either that, or AWS is running their ARM pricing as a loss leader right now.

The problem for any chipmaker like AMD is that the big customers, if they want an ARM server, can make it themselves. Amazon did, Google is doing so, and even MS supposedly has a team poking at it.

And that's not just AMD. Samsung has occasionally made noise about doing ARM server CPUs, and there have been a bunch of smaller companies that come in with a splashy announcement about their new server chips. Some of them have been successful for a generation or two, but the ARM market is insanely competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Twerk from Home posted:

We got a leak, it's 95% likely at this point that the Switch 2 is the Tegra Orin Nano: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Orin

Ampere on Samsung 8nm, and Nintendo isn't a rush to get it out so it's going to be insanely dirt cheap on an old node by the time they get around to launching it, just the way Nintendo likes it.

I know Nintendo don't target high specs but that seems like a really underpowered APU.