Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
rwm is already running the headline “putin survives assassination attempt” so it’s def a false flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If Russia is running around screaming that Ukraine did it, something doesn't smell right with the attack. Russia wouldn't want to give off the vibe internally that they're somehow weak to Ukraine flying drones into their loving capital and hitting the Kremlin, so the only way it makes sense is it's FSB trying to shake international support for Ukraine by claiming that this is an aggressive strike against Russian territory.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm reading that as an excuse to make more civ infrastructure into smouldering pits. A very brave, very Russian show of force.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

orange juche posted:

If Russia is running around screaming that Ukraine did it, something doesn't smell right with the attack. Russia wouldn't want to give off the vibe internally that they're somehow weak to Ukraine flying drones into their loving capital and hitting the Kremlin, so the only way it makes sense is it's FSB trying to shake international support for Ukraine by claiming that this is an aggressive strike against Russian territory.

I feel like it would be more of a Kremlin play to make an argument to their own people that the Ukrainians are the aggressors and thus the war has to continue, because I can't imagine anyone abroad buying it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't think there is any course of action that could be comfortably evaluated as "too stupid for Russia to engage in" with respect to this conflict. They are 100% high on their own supply. Having an "assassination attempt" on the eve of some military parade or whatever sounds pretty straightforward. I'm sure morale in the rank and file is even more dire than Russian's are used to.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

There's video of the drone 'strike' out there.

The drone was painted bright white, and blew up several meters away from the dome in a Hollywood looking incendiary charge. I have a feeling that the roof fire was unintentional and that poo poo was some false flag garbage.

It was as fake looking as that pre invasion attack footage in the Donbass.
OK, I know poo poo about poo poo so I'm glad I'm not the only one that looked at that and thought it was SFX for a high school play.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If Putin ordered action within Russia in a location where he probably has a good understanding of the reality but which seems nonsensical to us, it's probably actually for internal political purposes that we don't fully understand. Putin might be a terrible military leader, but he didn't get where he is by being bad at internal politics and control.

Alternatively, it's another military fuckup by Russia, which is obviously plausible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dirk the Daring is a mobik?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

glynnenstein posted:

If Putin ordered action within Russia in a location where he probably has a good understanding of the reality but which seems nonsensical to us, it's probably actually for internal political purposes that we don't fully understand. Putin might be a terrible military leader, but he didn't get where he is by being bad at internal politics and control.

Alternatively, it's another military fuckup by Russia, which is obviously plausible.

Yeah, I also think that Putin is much more motivated by domestic politics then a lot of his/his foreign fan's/his foreign enemies' propaganda suggests.
I even still assume that the Nordstream pipeline was blown up by Russians who were primarily motivated by domestic politics.

Hell, it might turn out it was some domestic terrorist group that was 100% made up of police informants from different departments.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
false flag or not, just going to point out that hitting the kremlin with a drone would be the single happiest day of bydanov's entire life

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Give it a day and see what kind of lies Russia comes up with. If they have Ukrainian driver's licenses of prisoners in custody with signed confessions proving their intent to be as big a Nazi as possible and to assassinate Putin personally then you'll know it was a false flag.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The comedy option is they tried to do a false attack and accidentally set Kremlin on fire.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I wonder which version of the Sims they guided the drone with

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

lol I love to false flag attack my own capital because ??????

Why is putin and co so loving stupid?

Get in losers we're doing false flag attacks on our capitals

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahahaha holy poo poo

Battle of Britain all over again but better

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Reminder that Putin used the FSB to blow up an apartment building in Russia to get in power. If this is a false flag attack on Russian soil it wouldn't be his first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Reminder that Putin used the FSB to blow up an apartment building in Russia to get in power. If this is a false flag attack on Russian soil it wouldn't be his first.

Ukraine was also tracking and warning about False Flag attacks previously, so Russia has been looking for an opportunity

Just didn't realize how much of a joke it would be.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

FSB searching every vehicle within 50km of the Kremlin looking for copies of The Sims 3.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've seen some stuff on social media that suggests that the "assassination attempt" at the Kremlin is justification to take out Zelenskyy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

I've seen some stuff on social media that suggests that the "assassination attempt" at the Kremlin is justification to take out Zelenskyy.

They already tried to take him out at the start of this fiasco. And I doubt, given how popular Zelensky is, taking him out would do anything but create a martyr.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

When did Putin ever need a justification for that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hey, I'm just repeating what I saw. Don't expect me to rationalize or justify this poo poo.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1653836377891414040?s=20

A good analysis of the different footage.

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1653749827086213125?s=20

This thread is interesting because it starts out with some solid political analysis of what it means if Ukraine did it, but then she's more and more open to the idea of a false flag. Interesting to see the opinion shift tweet by tweet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1653769407099707395?t=0JKGu4_2NwGgJ1kstqzKLw&s=19

It's always stamp time lol, commemorative stamps in response to Russia blaming Ukraine for the Kremlin thing

Replies are humorous in that they're howling about how a stamp concept is proof that Ukraine did it and Russia must respond with DA NOOKS

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Obvious rogue black op by the UA postal service confirmed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Ukraine actually denying involvement, which is remarkable insofar as they rarely ever deny involvement. Kremlin also got the narrative of 'this was an attempted assassination' and 'this is the first time Moscow has been bombed since 1942' out basically as it happened, which certainly is convenient.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 3, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukraine actually denying involvement, which is unusual.

There'd be nothing to gain really by drone striking the Kremlin. Sure I guess it gets SHORAD pulled back towards Moscow but a more strategic move would be targeting fuel depots before going for the Kremlin, since it would reveal that you can hit a structure 450km away from the border, and hitting a bunch of fuel depots would achieve the same thing but be more relevant.

Now they're going to focus their air defenses around strategic assets in Russia making actually damaging strikes harder to pull off. I'm assuming they didn't have air defense batteries already around these things since they didn't think they'd be inside the range of Ukraine.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Could be some great trolling opportunities here though.
"We would never expend ordinance on attacking the Kremlin. We conserve our resources in order to hit valuable targets instead."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

War Boi posted:

Sorry for post necromancy, but I’m just now getting caught up- but the way it was explained to me was that it was Soviet scientists who first conceived of and published on the concept of stealth. In typical Soviet fashion it went nowhere, meanwhile the AIA (Now NASIC) got their hands on a copy of the seminal technical paper on stealth and translated it for use by the U.S. and in typical U.S. fashion, it went somewhere.

Was I just told horse poo poo? I only ever worked on the planes, I never flew them.

It's true. Soviet censors didn't recognize the military value of the science, so it was allowed to be published internationally. Someone at Lockheed read it and probably drat near had a stroke.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

Obvious rogue black op by the UA postal service confirmed.

And I thought the US Postal Inspection Service was loving ruthless :stonklol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yeah, but they didn't sink their own false flagship in order to blame Ukraine and justify further escalation. They play down Ukraine's capability, not up.

No but they initially claimed they sank it themselves accidentally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Per Wikipedia

Lockheed incorporated into its bid a text written by the Soviet-Russian physicist Pyotr Ufimtsev from 1962, titled Method of Edge Waves in the Physical Theory of Diffraction, Soviet Radio, Moscow, 1962. In 1971 this book was translated into English with the same title by U.S. Air Force, Foreign Technology Division.[18] The theory played a critical role in the design of American stealth-aircraft F-117 and B-2.[19][20][21] Equations outlined in the paper quantified how a plane's shape would affect its detectability by radar, termed radar cross-section (RCS).[22] At the time, the Soviet Union did not have supercomputer capacity to solve these equations for actual designs. This was applied by Lockheed in computer simulation to design a novel shape they called the "Hopeless Diamond"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

No but they initially claimed they sank it themselves accidentally.

They kept the Kremlin footage under wraps for ~12 hours, before they reached a decision how to respond. If they could've claimed a chimney sweep had a smoking accident, they might have, but they assessed how many witnesses there were.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 3, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

And I thought the US Postal Inspection Service was loving ruthless :stonklol:

You know poo poo is real when USPIS gets involved

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

It's true. Soviet censors didn't recognize the military value of the science, so it was allowed to be published internationally. Someone at Lockheed read it and probably drat near had a stroke.

IIRC (it's been a while since I read Skunk Works), part of the issue was that turning the theory into an actual airplane design would take an ungodly amount of computing power. So it was seen as "cute theorem, no military significance" until Lockheed said "okay, but what if we buy a bunch of computers?" Even a lot of folks in the US required some Kelly Johnson salesmanship to buy into it.

e: beaten with a citation, my recollection is correct! :science:

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 3, 2023

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought the other half was that the fly-by-wire systems needed to make such an unstable aircraft actually fly weren’t a thing when the paper was written.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vengarr posted:

I thought the other half was that the fly-by-wire systems needed to make such an unstable aircraft actually fly weren’t a thing when the paper was written.

Fly by wire was first used in 41, I don't think that was a huge deal by then.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Is that 41 iteration just fly-by-wire replacing cables and hydraulics, or fly-by-wire using computer avionics to compensate for an inherently unstable airframe?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CainFortea posted:

The flight computers to handle an aircraft like that probably were. The F-117 was so bonkers it had quadruple redundancy built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Godholio posted:

The flight computers to handle an aircraft like that probably were. The F-117 was so bonkers it had quadruple redundancy built in.

I didn't say it was something off the shelf, but it's not like they were having to reinvent what computers are or something. The space shuttle was also fly by wire and was as aerodynamic as a brick and was designed at around the same time.