Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

onesixtwo posted:

Installing a 2d map won’t help you at all, but I do echo the remarks on this one, learn how to navigate with beacons and you’ll never be lost. Just never leave without a beacon or two to drop.

For me, I don’t really get lost, I would just like a little line of text somewhere that tells me what biome I’m in. I know a lot of biomes are pretty clear with the change in aesthetics but most of them just blend together for me.

I’m doing fine without - I’m near the end game now and have really enjoyed it - but for some reason not knowing for sure where I am messes with my brain.

Right now I thought I was at the bottom of the underground area but it seems like there might be another level deeper and I can’t see poo poo down here to find exits and these rear end in a top hat keep warping me out of my suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Lots of people draw themselves a map on their first playthrough! Tools to integrate that kind of manual map drawing into the game are all that's being suggested, not a map you can unlock or anything.

Maybe something like an airborne drone you can build, except it requires some of the more rare materials to construct, and is only good for mapping the surface biomes. It could be limited to only mapping a radius around the player, and still leaves the deeper sections completely unknown.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Serephina posted:

Yea I'm again at the point where I need to go deeper than 900m, and despite what others feel I'm not a fan of walking around in the prawn for long distances. So I'm gonna make a cyclops, chuck a fabricator and a bunch of resources on it, and make sure the trip's mostly one-way. The idea of having to shuffle a bunch of crap over is tiring, even thinking about it. Inventory drudgery is the worst part of the game, imo.

Also what's the thread's thoughts on spoilers? The game's been out for five years now but we still have new players trickling in, do I need to spoiler biome names and poo poo?

Like you said, we still have new players on a fairly regular basis, so I'd (and do) go with spoiler-tagging fairly big important stuff (including the last biomes). But telling them to go Deeper is always good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Biome names aren't actually useful information for new players anyway, since they are only available on out of game maps. They're very minimal spoilers at worst, but may as well tag the late game ones because whatever you're actually discussing is probably a spoiler.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Game is currently on sale right now, too, so it doesn’t hurt to hide some of the surprises you find around that depth.

Finally built my first base in my fresh 2.0 run, 6 hours in we have the cyclops, prawn, and the beginning stages to go into the deep have started. I should probably go to the escape pods / jellyfish first though. I’m missing an embarrassingly large amount of necessary survival base items since I ignored the distress beacon breadcrumbs knowing I had other things in different directions to collect, first.

Going to try and focus less on the cyclops overall this run, and now that I know what the end is, spend a lot more time combing the dunes for all the resources I want for the perfect 900m base this time around. Speaking of, where is the blueprint / a scannable fragment for the large general room they added from BZ?

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 16, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think large rooms come for free with a multi-purpose room scan? I know it was already unlocked the first time I built a base builder gadget.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Wow, finally finished it just now. That last part was crazy! I wish they had given you a better weapon though - took me loving ages to kill that bitch with the dagger.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Did you at least upgrade it?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yes! Even left it in my time capsule for the next victim.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You know, I've not found a time capsule this time around, at all. Weird. I'm still missing a cyclops module or two, wonder if they're hanging out together somewhere.

Blessed be those who chuck in an Ion battery, those things come far too late in the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Serephina posted:

You know, I've not found a time capsule this time around, at all. Weird. I'm still missing a cyclops module or two, wonder if they're hanging out together somewhere.

Blessed be those who chuck in an Ion battery, those things come far too late in the game.

My capsule was almost entirely made from ion batteries, because I agree; by the time you can make them, who really cares?

One of the things BZ did perfectly was introduce them at the right time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Red Rox posted:

Wow, finally finished it just now. That last part was crazy! I wish they had given you a better weapon though - took me loving ages to kill that bitch with the dagger.

It’s almost as if Subnautica isn’t a game you should be machine gunning through.

Kind of weird how your civilization is hyper-capitalist AND vegan environmentalists. Probably a relic of the early access development where they weren’t quite sure what the story was going to be. Ended up having an environmentalist message based on the gameplay mechanics they wanted and then had the hyper-capitalist dystopia for the story/jokes they ended up filling dialogue with.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

It’s almost as if Subnautica isn’t a game you should be machine gunning through.

Kind of weird how your civilization is hyper-capitalist AND vegan environmentalists. Probably a relic of the early access development where they weren’t quite sure what the story was going to be. Ended up having an environmentalist message based on the gameplay mechanics they wanted and then had the hyper-capitalist dystopia for the story/jokes they ended up filling dialogue with.

“I am not breaking up with you, I’m reducing the visiting-hours in our relationship contract to zero.”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zesty posted:

I took it as they were making fun of capitalism, especially with that note at the end about how much you owe Alterra due to everything you had to do and use to literally survive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It definitely feels like something they just did for a joke and didn't think much about the worldbuilding implications. There's some kind of vague implication that while Alterra is one big huge megacorp, it's not the only thing that's left. Apparently Mongolia has its own thing, there's probably more out there. Below Zero just muddles things further with the protag working for a different, scrappier company with an indian computer, except it was just bought by Alterra, but also there's some kind of spacecop investigator that Alterra shuts down operations to hide from? It's confusing.

I don't think the hypercapitalism dystopia really adds much to the setting. It illustrates some of the people in audiologs as being extra super bastards, but aside from that, it's just a few jokes. Not very interesting. And when I decided to find another game to play to get some of that exploration feel, I tried Journey to the Savage Planet, and burnt out hard on hypercapitalist dystopia jokes.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It's noted in OG that Alterra only controls around 9% of gates and is the official supplier for several larger galactic entities. So presumably there are a ton of different entities out there besides Alterra.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alterra is a massive corporation that's reached the level of Trans-Gov, which means they run their own planetary systems as the government, but they're by no means the majority of human civilisation, and there are definitely other corporations on similar scale. It's mentioned that as the largest builder of new phase-gates, they own 9% of the gates in the network.

Degrassi came from the Mongolian Trans-Gov, Mercury came from the Sol Trans-Gov (aka Earth), and Sunbeam came from a third small Trans-Gov. It's implied there are many dozens, and they're all part of the Trans-System Federation, which seems to be a very loose authority that mainly seems to make sure that they all obey trade and passage rules through the Phase-Gate network and don't do anything too evil. But it seems like that Federation is very limited in power.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 17, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Degrassi

As a Canadian through and through, I would love this super weird crossover.

Wake up in my life pod
Running out of water
I'm gonna have to search for more

What's to be afraid of?
I can build the Cyclops
Oh poo poo; was that a Reaper's roar?

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Z6mYZ26yc

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
TSF, etc. from the NS descriptions for Frontiersmen:

quote:

The Marines as depicted in the game are the force mounted by the TSF agency. The Trans-System Federation (TSF) is an independent body funded by 37 trans-gov powers (governments or super-corporations that own and operate Phase Gates between solar systems) and given jurisdiction over trans-system affairs: as defined by a document called The Charter. The Charter is a comprehensive document, covering disarmament, fair trade agreements (most importantly, sharing phase gates), and certain basic civil rights that had become blurred (or tossed aside) during the dark times of the Expansion.

To enforce The Charter, the Trans-Govs chose Admiral Rathine Studaber, former head of the revived British Secret Service, and gave her a budget for a small military force – which proved hard pressed to stop those same greedy and quarrelsome powers from violating almost every agreement they had made: often concerning their own citizens (termed "population abuse"). It was not very long before the TSF had to resort to military police actions. Its surprising success against the vastly more powerful and far better equipped Trans-Govs earned it the secret hatred of the same powers that created it. They have long been angling to curtail the TSF's powers, slash its funding, or even dissolve it entirely and replace it with something they can control. So far, their distrust of each other, and intense media scrutiny has kept the TSF alive. The TSF sees itself as the only sane player in trans-system politics and has become an unappreciated (and often vilified) champion of human rights.

With the failure of corporate and government forces to contain the spread of the Kharaa, the opinion (among those in power) was humanity should just quarantine the entire Ariadne Arm (the string of solar systems where the Kharaa were encountered). The TSF found this intolerable, both for the people trapped in the Arm and for the future of human expansion (the economic blow of losing all those ships and bases could threaten the tenuous peace of the Charter). The TSF volunteered to mount a response to the Kharaa – effectively creating a new army, with a new mandate. The resolution passed, and the new force was called the Frontiersmen: "standing on the edge of the unknown, between all of humanity and whatever would threaten it." The Frontiersmen have clearance to travel anywhere and board any craft. They have rapid-response outposts scattered throughout the Ariadne Arm, with teams of marines ready to deploy. The Frontiersmen initiative is a huge opportunity for the TSF. It's also a risk: if the Frontiersmen fail, on such a public and historic stage, the Ariadne Arm will be signed off as a loss and the trans-govs may have the excuse they've been looking for to "re-organize" TSF leadership – replacing the Admiral and her staff with corporate lackeys. If that happens, dark days are sure to follow.

Frontiersmen must pass rigorous physical and psychological exams before they can even enter training. The training process, though in many respects similar to militaries all over the galaxies and all throughout history, is unique in its emphasis on small squads, tactical flexibility, and the unprecedented nature of the enemy Frontiersmen train to confront. Frontiersmen are trained to enter a new environment in squads of 5 to 15 individuals, with very little equipment or support, and achieve definitive victory against a virulent and hostile xenoform foe.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The history between the TSF and the Mongolians is pretty fraught. Interesting poo poo imo.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Recently started my first play through on PS5 after having this in my library for a while. I’ve run into a bug where solar panels show they’re charged but don’t actually transmit power to the base until I start to deconstruct them for a second and then rebuild them. Do solar panels just behave strangely? I found a post on the Steam forums from 2018 of someone having the same issue. I added a bioreactor so it’s not really a problem anymore, just wondering if I’m placing them wrong or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Recently started my first play through on PS5 after having this in my library for a while. I’ve run into a bug where solar panels show they’re charged but don’t actually transmit power to the base until I start to deconstruct them for a second and then rebuild them. Do solar panels just behave strangely? I found a post on the Steam forums from 2018 of someone having the same issue. I added a bioreactor so it’s not really a problem anymore, just wondering if I’m placing them wrong or something.

Is your base totally unpowered? Cuz that's a bug I've not heard of. If not, might be the known funky behavior.

Power sources are super stupid in Subnautica: power is drained from a singular source one-at-a-time, not in parallel like in real life. So depending on some black magic voodoo logic (associated with "which was most recently built"), the base will (e.g.) draw from the solar panel first, then once that is dry it'll go for the bioreactor, etc. This often results in a lot of waste as renewable sources like solar panels and thermal plants sit at capacity while the base draws from consumables. Once the initial source is drained and it's moved on to the second, you'll finally benefit from both sources' income. Note that each source keeps its own discrete battery level.

Example: I had a base powered by nothing but four thermal plants, all churning power at the same rate eternally. Base had a lot of draw, and so was always sitting at 49/50% power as it pulled more than two plant's worth of power but less than three.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I came back from exploring to 0 power which made me try reconstructing the first time. Once I did that they would stay connected the rest of the session but I’d have to do it again after loading a save.

Based on the forum post I saw I attached them to a room and it works fine now. Before then they were just on the ground outside my front door.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Yeah, they have to actually be attached to your base, though a platform or on the roof.
Otherwise you would need one of those power transmitters in between, even for a few feet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
LoL yea, that'd do it. The electricity has to be attached to work!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I played Subnautica for a while a few years ago and got lost and eaten too many times for me to find it enjoyable. Trying again and will see if I can take it a little slower.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I played Subnautica for a while a few years ago and got lost and eaten too many times for me to find it enjoyable. Trying again and will see if I can take it a little slower.

If you stay close to the intended/implies flow at first, it works a LOT better. If you're looking to freely explore, know that you'll probably enjoy doing that more once you've gotten your footing in the main game. Getting a bit established on the planet, at least for me, goes a long way to encourage freeform exploration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And most of all, don't just decide to ignore the radio because you want to try to outthink the story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

And most of all, don't just decide to ignore the radio because you want to try to outthink the story.

Exactly this; the game is so much better when you just 'give in' to how it wants you to discover it. Which, I found, wasn't a big ask at all. It covers everything. You sincerely won't miss a thing.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Except for the one datapad in a closet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Yes, except that.

Search thoroughly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mike the TV posted:

Getting flashbacks to Terror from the Deep. :cry:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I found it most enjoyable when I roleplayed as my character who didn't want to die. If a situation seemed too dangerous, I'd back off and come back later with more supplies. I spent some of the early days simply waiting on the survival pod and trying to get my bearings.

Of course, I then got killed by a bug and lost my save file, so I still haven't restarted the game. Hardcore difficulty doesn't work in a game with glitches.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There are some good mods you should throw on even if it's your first time, just to save some tedium --

Pre-mod mods that help with modding so you can mod your mods - more or less necessary if you're modding.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1108

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1104

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1168 -- mod manager, not necessary but helpful

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/113

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1163 - add this if you're adding new arms.

Visual/etc. -

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/207 - I just like these tabs better?

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/811 - Cyclops HUD visible when not driving. I like how it looks.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/427 - snap to grid building, 100% optional but i'm a dork

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/538 - lets you rotate the moonpool

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/394 - apparently helps with fps loss due to geysers

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1180 - Bases look better

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/990 - Blueprints look better

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/763 - FAST LOAD

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/362 AMERICAN TEMPERATURES

Added stuff, basic, doesn't give you much of if any advantage over the base game -

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24 - Autocrafting, I literally cannot play without this one anymore and my current SubZero run is harder due to the lack of it. It crafts up to higher materials from lower ones automatically. Also pulls from nearby containers. Some weirdness if you're in base/cyclops even when docked but it's still so much better.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1198 - craft from containers, I don't know if this one is necessary with the above but I ran with both because I was dumb and didn't realize I had both

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/216 -- uncrafts things, allowing you to get mats back

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1256 - When you break a container it just drops stuff if you didn't unload it, instead of deleting it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/51 -- Moonpool uses power to autorepair when docked

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554 - Dock your cyclops. This can be finnicky - pull slowly up to it and it will take over your controls, just sit and wait for it to park. When you want to undock it'll kinda guide you away a little too.

slightly cheaty ones - none of these add a TON except the last one, which I just like instead of building 2 seamoths/prawns to have both types of autocharging or different mods or wahtever

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1174 - seaglide upgrades, cost fairly reasonable resources amounts to go faster with your seaglide

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1183- upgraded battery recipes, costs are reasonable imo

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/131 - scanner module you can use to scan from within your seamoth/prawn

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/365 - Arms for your seamoth, just like the prawn -- unlike most people in the thread, I really disliked the prawn and absolutely loved my seamoth, so this is one of my fav. mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/133 - Repair module so you can repair from inside your seamoth/prawn using its power instead of hopping out to repair.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/280 - like the Cyclops shield but for the seamoth.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/142 -- More slots in your vehicles for upgrades and stuff -- can make some BEASTLY seamoth/prawn builds, especially when paired with the above. Still costs the same mats, but it's great if you want to have a fast, grabby, self-healing, shielded seamoth as a late game sports car kinda thing.

Anyway that's my big mod post about a several year old game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You want people to install all that before their first play!?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
You do not need to install 27 mods before a first play!!!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The auto crafting and the bigger action bar should have been in the base game as far as I’m concerned.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You should do absolutely none of this on your first playthrough

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What are you talking about? Before starting a game of cities skylines I always assemble a team of architects, civil engineers, and public finance experts to ensure the smoothest play experience possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Monkey posted:

There are some good mods you should throw on even if it's your first time, just to save some tedium --
You're not wrong up to this point, but holy poo poo that list is excessive, especially for a first time player.

IMO the craft from nearby inventories mod should be made an official part of the game. I'd recommend everyone install that one but I can't think of any other mods I'd consider mandatory on a first playthrough.