Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Each merchant collecting decreases profits. The best plan is to form a line of above 50% trade power nodes, collect only from the last one and have everything else transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Each merchant collecting decreases profits. The best plan is to form a line of above 50% trade power nodes, collect only from the last one and have everything else transfer.

:wrong:

Collecting it a trade node where I have like 90 something percent trade power is more profitable than passing it along to be collected at an end node where I have like 60 to 70 something percent trade power.

Edit: One thing I didn't realize until now is that I should send a merchant and a bunch of gunboats to THE end node.

Edit2: Treaty ports in EU4 when?

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 30, 2023

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
yeah the only downside to collecting outside your main node is that your main node doesnt get the stacking 10 percent bonuses from each merchant forwarding trade. if you have near monopoly in your home node you can collect whereever you want (although it is typically more profitable to forward everything home IF you have vast majority power in the adjacent nodes. ymmv)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's because you can't pull trade back, but you can pull it forward. If you start collecting all the trade in your node, other tags will be forced to send merchants there to pull some of it forward to their nodes, and ultimately some trade is passed forward anyway. So you're losing out on maximum profits at the end node, but you're still earning more profits overall because you're collecting more of the trade along your trade routes.

So the more economically dominant countries ahead naturally want to send traders to your nodes to pull that trade value to theirs. There's also no penalty to moving that trade value forward. So the only way to counter them is to suck up as much trade as possible in your node.

Transferring trade forward is still important though, but only in the "steering" part. It's worth it to make sure that all the value is flowing to your nodes, but you don't always need traders for it. Some nodes depending on trade power will just naturally send all the trade your way.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 1, 2023

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Trade in this game is dumb and I hope an eventual EUV makes it better.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anyone else having CTD issues since the patch? I've started two Anbennar runs in that time. First one (Urviksten/Ebonmark) I played through with no issues, the second (Toarnaire/Roilsard) has been plagued by CTDs that keep happening again around the same time after reloading. There's a few other people reporting similar on the discord but the devs don't seem able to reproduce it and think it might be a Paradox bug, possibly the "null subject crash" mentioned in the notes for the next patch. I was able to play past the first crash by reloading and running a script to delete the Serpentspine before it happened so I guess whatever was causing it was happening there but now I'm having the same issue again a few years later and don't really want to keep playing or start a new run if I'm gonna have to keep deleting continents. I already deleted a bunch at the start of the game to help performance. Hopefully the next patch will fix it but they just said it was coming in May so it could still be 2-3 weeks and I'm hankerin for some more map painting. Seems weird that lots of people apparently aren't having the issue and that it only affected one of my two runs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone else having CTD issues since the patch? I've started two Anbennar runs in that time. First one (Urviksten/Ebonmark) I played through with no issues, the second (Toarnaire/Roilsard) has been plagued by CTDs that keep happening again around the same time after reloading. There's a few other people reporting similar on the discord but the devs don't seem able to reproduce it and think it might be a Paradox bug, possibly the "null subject crash" mentioned in the notes for the next patch. I was able to play past the first crash by reloading and running a script to delete the Serpentspine before it happened so I guess whatever was causing it was happening there but now I'm having the same issue again a few years later and don't really want to keep playing or start a new run if I'm gonna have to keep deleting continents. I already deleted a bunch at the start of the game to help performance. Hopefully the next patch will fix it but they just said it was coming in May so it could still be 2-3 weeks and I'm hankerin for some more map painting. Seems weird that lots of people apparently aren't having the issue and that it only affected one of my two runs.

I reported this as well and the bug report has a few other save files piling up. Others are having trouble replicating it - probably just need to save a lot and reload back if it ever happens. SOMETHING is firing somewhere and loving our games, but it's impossible to isolate.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Wafflecopper posted:

Try deleting North Aelantir. I played through an Ameion game last week which consistently kept crashing in 1547 and I was able to fix it and finish my run by doing that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

I reported this as well and the bug report has a few other save files piling up. Others are having trouble replicating it - probably just need to save a lot and reload back if it ever happens. SOMETHING is firing somewhere and loving our games, but it's impossible to isolate.

Yeah I actually had another go and got a bit further just by reloading and not deleting anything and didn't get any more crashes for a while. But then it started crashing every time I saved, manual or auto, and reloading the most recent saves gave me a totally uncolonised world. Going back a bit further fixed that, but I could only keep playing without crashes if I turned off autosaves which meant I lost all progress when it crashed again a few years later anyway. Maybe reloading, deleting Northern Aelantir, and turning off auto-saves would work but I'd still need to leave my pc running for a couple of days to finish the run without saving so I think I'll just have to wait for the patch.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can always roll back to the previous update, unless there's some huge important change in the new expansion.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I actually had another go and got a bit further just by reloading and not deleting anything and didn't get any more crashes for a while. But then it started crashing every time I saved, manual or auto, and reloading the most recent saves gave me a totally uncolonised world. Going back a bit further fixed that, but I could only keep playing without crashes if I turned off autosaves which meant I lost all progress when it crashed again a few years later anyway. Maybe reloading, deleting Northern Aelantir, and turning off auto-saves would work but I'd still need to leave my pc running for a couple of days to finish the run without saving so I think I'll just have to wait for the patch.

Strange. For me at least, at some point I must have surpassed the conditions that were causing the crash because it stopped by 1600ish.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Just had the same "canal is destroyed upon loading the game but the Great Project remains" bug, this time for the Panama Canal. Gonna wait on the fix before playing again.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I tried Japan for the first time, won the thunderdome, i guess expansion is the best first idea group to unlock? Lots of uncolonized but explored provinces around here

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Jay Rust posted:

I tried Japan for the first time, won the thunderdome, i guess expansion is the best first idea group to unlock? Lots of uncolonized but explored provinces around here

Struggle against super korea as I have. I also have to figure out how ming has stayed together with 0 mandate for about 40 years now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They do get a TON of manpower (especially since they seem to love quantity ideas) and ridiculous buckets of cash to hire mercenaries.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Ya I took em down after throwing cash at em just wasn't really expecting it. Ming, I dunno how it all works now haven't looked at the tree and events. After my post and going back they got the order is restored and then promptly broke apart a month later.

e: also samurai are the worst special unit in the game

Box wine fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 2, 2023

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mercs are bugged. They use the max morale (this includes low maint) of the origin country.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

FYI, they figured out the crash cause and claim to have fixed it in the latest bit bucket! It was some weird colonization problem.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

you cannot lower maintenance on mercs, you are either paying full price for them or they are disbanded

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

FYI, they figured out the crash cause and claim to have fixed it in the latest bit bucket! It was some weird colonization problem.

Yeah cheers I got grabbed it last night and haven’t had any problems so far

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

you cannot lower maintenance on mercs, you are either paying full price for them or they are disbanded

If you're talking about my post... What I mean is if you have a merc company whose origin is in Lithuania and they lower maint on THEIR troops it affects the max morale of that merc company.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Not sure if Anbennar just ruined me because it has much more symmetrical starts, but I just keep getting wrecked by the Ottomans in this latest patch. Ottomans keeps either guarantee'ing or allying Bohemia, Austria, or Hungary just to spite me.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Half-wit posted:

Not sure if Anbennar just ruined me because it has much more symmetrical starts, but I just keep getting wrecked by the Ottomans in this latest patch. Ottomans keeps either guarantee'ing or allying Bohemia, Austria, or Hungary just to spite me.

Play anywhere near the command and you'll get the same experience.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I dunno, I've gone back to trying to play Gawed for the past week, and it's still an incredibly frustrating experience. You have to constantly keep your boot on Lorent's neck to survive. Their economy is so much better at the start that any time you wipe out their army, they just buy themselves a whole new one out of mercenaries.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Kild posted:

If you're talking about my post... What I mean is if you have a merc company whose origin is in Lithuania and they lower maint on THEIR troops it affects the max morale of that merc company.

army maintenance isnt supposed to affect mercs at all, origin country or not, how on earth did they manage to gently caress that up

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

army maintenance isnt supposed to affect mercs at all, origin country or not, how on earth did they manage to gently caress that up

It just seems to straight up look at the origin countries current max morale and use that. It's hard to spot because it also lets them regenerate max morale up to your max, so you'll see like in the screenshots something like 4.1/2.99. Which wouldn't be a huge thing if morale damage wasn't affected by max morale so the Cossack company was doing like 30% less morale damage than it should've.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

on the topic of mercs being broken, shouldn't merc discipline be a separate value from normal disc? them being additive modifiers makes mercs insanely OP as it is

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
I decided to have myself Hul-az-Krakazol game and instead of waiting for Axebellow Cartel to spawn I made a custom dwarven adventurer nation with 6/6/6 ruler and somewhat op ideas set to give me a leg up early game. After creation of Hul-az-Krakazol it turned out that ideas didn't change... My question is does anyone know if Hul-az-Krakazol has unique ideas and my game shat itself or everything kosher?

EDIT: Serpent's Rot is just poo poo event. Who though it was a good idea?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Herr Bazooka posted:

I decided to have myself Hul-az-Krakazol game and instead of waiting for Axebellow Cartel to spawn I made a custom dwarven adventurer nation with 6/6/6 ruler and somewhat op ideas set to give me a leg up early game. After creation of Hul-az-Krakazol it turned out that ideas didn't change... My question is does anyone know if Hul-az-Krakazol has unique ideas and my game shat itself or everything kosher?

EDIT: Serpent's Rot is just poo poo event. Who though it was a good idea?

They do have unique ideas, but country formation decisions in both vanilla and Anbennar are spefically set up to preserve your existing ideas if you`re playing a custom nation.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Oh. Oooooh. Thanks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, this is about as far as I got before getting bored again.

Cannor doesn't seem fun at all. The wars are tedious, the colonies rum themselves, and it's all just holy war after holy water. Where are the fun bits?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, this is about as far as I got before getting bored again.

Cannor doesn't seem fun at all. The wars are tedious, the colonies rum themselves, and it's all just holy war after holy water. Where are the fun bits?

You can tell that Cannor was made earlier in development and has kinda languished since. Almost all the other regions have more dynamic and interesting mission trees and mechanics, while Cannor is the most bog standard of them all. Ironic that Anbennar itself is the most boring part of the mod.

They've got development frozen there for now, but i bet once they finish Sarhal and/or not Australia they'll give it a good rework. It desperately needs one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cannor's my favourite region. There's loads of fun trees. Idg what you guys even mean. There's a good spread of different sizes of tag and you actually have to play the diplomatic game to grow. Worst continents by far are North/South Aelantir imo. Human controlled natives there can usually become the regional hegemon easily and then just blob out over the rest of the hemisphere either by colonizing or by rolling over other natives and colonial nations who don't have a chance.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 7, 2023

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The fun things to do are become emperor to revoke and go ham on the world. Or eat everything and smash some coalitions. Or play as vampires and eat everything without having to fight coalitions. Otherwise yeah playing in not-hre is just as boring as regular hre

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, I'm not brave enough to fight a coalition.

It's just too much work to fight an equal force.

It's fine in hearts of iron because that's the majority of the game, but here I would prefer not to get dragged into decades long wars.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the fun trees in cannor are all well hidden in tiny obscure countries, all of the big, prominent countries like Lorent and Gawed have super old content and it very much shows

like Gawed, one of the extremely notable great powers, has a fairly perfunctory mission tree where you go conquer some stuff and in exchange get claims on more stuff until you become big, and then it's over for the rest of the game

meanwhile Varaine, a one province minor that usually gets owned within the first decade, has a mission tree that is more than twice as big, comes with a unique estate and mechanics, and has content that stretches across the entire game timeline

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, I'm not brave enough to fight a coalition.

It's just too much work to fight an equal force.

It's fine in hearts of iron because that's the majority of the game, but here I would prefer not to get dragged into decades long wars.

Corvuria is probably the tag for you then. Room to expand in all directions no huge tags on your borders and you get a shitton of -AE in your mission tree combined with the age objective lets you actually conquer land in the EoA without getting a coalition on you for taking 2 provinces

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I mean the Gawed tree is pretty straight forward.

It tells you to go conquer the north trade node, colonize the western trade node, and also probably go take the trade node in Lorent and maybe Dameshead.

You end up becoming the dominant economic and military power when you're half way through that list.

I just thought there would be more interesting things happening along the way as you do that, but no, not really, that's all there is.

Edit: I only got as far as the northern trade node and the colonies. It was just too much work to fight Lorent and the Empire. Those are the only two you really need, it's impossible to turn a profit on the rest without actually killing half of cannor to thin out the trade market competitors.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 8, 2023

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I mean the Gawed tree is pretty straight forward.

It tells you to go conquer the north trade node, colonize the western trade node, and also probably go take the trade node in Lorent and maybe Dameshead.

You end up becoming the dominant economic and military power when you're half way through that list.

I just thought there would be more interesting things happening along the way as you do that, but no, not really, that's all there is.

Edit: I only got as far as the northern trade node and the colonies. It was just too much work to fight Lorent and the Empire. Those are the only two you really need, it's impossible to turn a profit on the rest without actually killing half of cannor to thin out the trade market competitors.

Yes as they're saying these were some of the first mission trees created like 3 plus years ago. The newer locations are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

By rights gawed and lorent should each have a disaster if not two. Theoretically the halfling revolt acts as one but in practice I’ve never seen it fire because the ai will always accept a halfling culture