Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wanna know the name of the RDR2 horse balls dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone find me the world of warcraft guy who kept making quests with poop-searching

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/1653812180410675223?t=W_jdTkGfsfOBEAXiSWsbEw&s=19

Huh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rockstar stole my idea for a game about horse balls

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
to this day we have few clues as to who actually made the insane animated spritework of the Metal Slug series.

Japanese game companies are weirdly averse to recognizing their workers for just about anything

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They were afraid of poaching iirc so they made the devs use cool nicknames like Yui’s Papa and stuff

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes they allowed secret endings that send you to a room with some of the devs, where they all talk about how they miss their families :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIrmLrpdo0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh has over ten thousand cards and we know the name of exactly one artist, the guy who created the whole thing

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTpFvYbDuqA

The SkillUp review of RedFall is pretty funny. The game looks like a complete train wreck. I feel bad for the DEVs who put years of there lives into a game that just sucks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dabir posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh has over ten thousand cards and we know the name of exactly one artist, the guy who created the whole thing

Kazuki Takahashi draws every card, even the ones that came out after he died

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTpFvYbDuqA

The SkillUp review of RedFall is pretty funny. The game looks like a complete train wreck. I feel bad for the DEVs who put years of there lives into a game that just sucks.

it's one of those disasters i can't stop rubbernecking at, mainly because it's almost unfathomable for a AAA game to be released in such a clearly unfinished state. FO76 is the only one that comes close, but that was a game with enough brand power behind it that you could expect it to brought up to snuff eventually, whereas redfall feels like an early closed beta being shoved out in the wild in the hopes of recouping a portion of the development cost from preorders and suckers because the higher ups realized they'd got a turkey on their hands

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Brink vibes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem with live service games is that you're kinda forced to support them for at least six months to a year, it makes a stinker like this that much worse. you used to be able to just put out something like Quantum Theory and quietly shoosh it under a rug but this probably has a whole roadmap that they're gonna try to follow and each update will be a reminder about how embarrassingly bad of a game it is

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

whoever did those sprites probably got out of the game biz 25 years ago for a much better paying job with more humane hours.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hatty posted:

The problem with live service games is that you're kinda forced to support them for at least six months to a year, it makes a stinker like this that much worse. you used to be able to just put out something like Quantum Theory and quietly shoosh it under a rug but this probably has a whole roadmap that they're gonna try to follow and each update will be a reminder about how embarrassingly bad of a game it is
It's not even a live service game is it?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh totally, woof

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

It's not even a live service game is it?

it has live service elements like co-op, repeatable radiant quests, and colored loot drops with randomized stats, so it's a close cousin if nothing else

it wouldn't surprise me if it originally had a lot more of that live service cruft that got stripped out between the previous delay and launch, since i believe it would've been intended to hit the shelves before the big live service meltdown began

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm starting to realize i might not have actually ever played any of these "live service" games that people have been hating

i thought it was just like, a game that got free updates after launch, like monster hunter? what's like, the premier example of one

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm starting to realize i might not have actually ever played any of these "live service" games that people have been hating

i thought it was just like, a game that got free updates after launch, like monster hunter? what's like, the premier example of one

Destiny, Fortnite...

Think things that have Battle Passes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
splatoon is a more benign example. in general they’re games intended to be played and “sold” indefinitely via continuous updates and micro transaction seasons

really it’s more like trying to apply the MMO model to other genres

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the thing that makes it a "live service" game is the content refreshes on a predictable schedule. I don't know if Redfall has this or just RPG loot

Live service games are the ones that constantly release "seasons" with a battle pass and a bunch of missions and skins and holiday themed cosmetic crap and so on. They aren't subscription mandatory like MMOs but you do have to re-pay at regular intervals to avoid having half an experience

The big ones are Fortnite, Warzone, Apex Legends, Destiny 2, and maybe 1 or 2 others

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

it's any game that's intended to generate continuous revenue through FOMO and the kind of engagement tactics that WoW and other MMOs of that late WoD era began to use (e.g. weekly lockouts, necessary dailies, etc.)

it's kind of a mushy nebulous marketing term that isn't strongly attached to one specific genre, but it's most strongly associated with destiny given that it started the whole looter-shooter trend of open world + light multiplayer elements + MMO trappings like weapon drops and dungeons

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kerrzhe posted:

Call of Duty Warzone, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six: Siege, and Fortnight are probably the biggest. Think of MMOs but without the social aspects such as clans, economies, or PvE challenges that require or heavily incentivize grouping. So like Warframe and Destiny 2 I would lump in with MMOs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you've played an MMO you've functionally played what live service games are trying to adapt to other genres, except MMOs are usually better, and that's... that's pretty bleak.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Could have sworn Redfall had a battle pass. Glad to be wrong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the record I don't really have an issue with multiplayer games having continuous updates and a long lifespan. Plenty of games do that and are great. Oxxidation already brought up Splatoon for example. It's pretty benign as games like that go and its continued updates feel like added value more than anything.

But there's a certain flavor of that where things like paid battle passes, "seasons," often RNG loot with the standard rarity colors, and things like that all start coming in as different monetization and player retention angles and that's when it tips over from being a "regularly updated multiplayer game" to being a "live service" or "GaaS." Or at least that's how I tend to think about it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Splatoon is probably the least predatory live service game fwiw.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol what do you think squids are if not predators

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1653843761221324807?t=W0JkjIuJDEngEJV2v0EKmg&s=19

Lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This pizza guy is worth a chuckle or two, imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reggie is gonna actually murder that guy like he did Bill

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Careful, Reggie might lock TotK into the Mother 3 facility...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_pwlSo214

kicked a real estate rear end in a top hat in the face, murdered his buddies in their lovely night club, blew up a big cube pig, good times

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got my new gaming PC today. :toot: Going to download Cyberpunk 2077 now to try out the path ray-tracing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I got my new gaming PC today. :toot: Going to download Cyberpunk 2077 now to try out the path ray-tracing.

enjoy, gamer

i had a lovely time when i finally got my new PC going back and playing elden ring and having it not look like a PS2 game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oh the account that made the tweet that this is a reply to got deleted? Nintendo's long long fingers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Who's life is Nintendo ruining now over video game emulation?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

it's any game that's intended to generate continuous revenue through FOMO and the kind of engagement tactics that WoW and other MMOs of that late WoD era began to use (e.g. weekly lockouts, necessary dailies, etc.)

it's kind of a mushy nebulous marketing term that isn't strongly attached to one specific genre, but it's most strongly associated with destiny given that it started the whole looter-shooter trend of open world + light multiplayer elements + MMO trappings like weapon drops and dungeons

ok that makes sense. ty for all the replies

i have definitely played Destiny 2 and i think another one people didn't mention is Sea of Thieves which absolutely ticks all those checkboxes. i'd probably even throw in Path of Exile since that's their whole marketing scheme too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

oh the account that made the tweet that this is a reply to got deleted? Nintendo's long long fingers

It's more that Twitter is a cesspool where any random nobody tweeting about whatever bullshit they happen to be doing in life can be signal blasted by someone famous at random and suddenly they're the "main character" for abuse that day or whatever.