Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Daztek posted:

Have you tried the 10th anniversary edition of Settlers 2? It's a really nice remake: https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_settlers_2_10th_anniversary

Oh cool, thanks!

exquisite tea posted:

Well it's not called Aspirers.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

I believe Steam already tries to do this. That's what those 16 tiny updates for 12 year old games are whenever you launch the client are! Check the Settings menu for Shader Pre-Caching. I think it has its own sub-menu on the non-beta client, and is stuffed in Downloads in the beta client.

i'm pretty sure the steam shader caching infrastructure only works with vulkan, so the majority of windows games are excluded

proton translates directx to vulkan so on linux it covers everything

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Super Mega Baseball 4 coming out on June 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alFTKIcYsRQ

This is coming out the same day as Street Fighter 6, so I'll probably wait a bit before jumping on, but I love the games this team puts out and having MLB legends is fun.

Trucker Hat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 3, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jack Trades posted:

Omega Strikers hit 1.0 recently
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1869590/Omega_Strikers/

It's a 3v3 Windjammers-like that I have been having a ton of fun with lately, especially together with some of my friends.
A big recommend.

Thanks for this. Game seems fun after maybe an hour of tooling around, although somewhat limited character selection to start always stinks. We'll see how aggressive their new character rollout/free currency trickle is. Games are fast enough where I don't feel like I'm committing to much.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boxman posted:

Thanks for this. Game seems fun after maybe an hour of tooling around, although somewhat limited character selection to start always stinks. We'll see how aggressive their new character rollout/free currency trickle is. Games are fast enough where I don't feel like I'm committing to much.

I've been playing since the Beta without spending a single cent and they have been super generous with the character unlock currency.
Unless you want the newest character (that costs extra and then goes down in price once a new character comes out) you should be able to unlock most of them pretty quickly.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Trucker Hat posted:

This is coming out the same day as Street Fighter 6, so I'll probably wait a bit before jumping on, but I love the games this team puts out and having MLB legends is fun.

Hell yeah i freakin love these games

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leal posted:

Huh, Age of Wonders 4 is out now. Didn't even know this was being made. Not only has it launched with workshop support, but they launched with a few mods made already, like a bigger map for higher player counts. And for the, as this thread puts it, giant pussies out there, there is a mod to replace spiders with potatoes.

AoW4 is incredibly good. The best game in the AoW series and a serious contender for best of the combat focused 4x-adjacent genre.

E: the reviews have been interesting. It was review-bombed immediately after launch by a bunch of people with technical problems that didn't affect the vast majority, then got hot fixed within the first hour or two. But it has climbed from Mixed to Very Positive since then, and the vast majority of the negative reviews are referencing either fixed performance problems or people who are angry that the game includes pronouns and didn't make all the female characters sexy.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 3, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Trucker Hat posted:

EA buying them was news to me, but apparently that happened two years ago (still after SMB3)

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/feel-rhythm?partner=nintendeal

$16
-Trombone Champ
-No Straight Roads: Encore Edition
-Beat Hazard 3
-Soundfall
-Melody's Escape 2
-Project Arrhythmia
-Disaster Band

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/feel-rhythm?partner=nintendeal

$16
-Trombone Champ
-No Straight Roads: Encore Edition
-Beat Hazard 3
-Soundfall
-Melody's Escape 2
-Project Arrhythmia
-Disaster Band

Trombone Champ is real good and it’s also made by someone on this site.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
TIL there is a Beat Hazard 3. It looks like a cool upgrade to the recipe too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Kins posted:

I believe Steam already tries to do this. That's what those 16 tiny updates for 12 year old games are whenever you launch the client are! Check the Settings menu for Shader Pre-Caching. I think it has its own sub-menu on the non-beta client, and is stuffed in Downloads in the beta client.

:monocle:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool, love how the EA account servers are apparently down or something and that means I can't play my single player offline star wars game. "The network failed to do it's network thing" thanks EA

edit: This might be an xfinity thing? I see people on reddit yesterday saying it worked when they connected to their hotspot/vpn to log in

Edit 2: no I think it might just be hosed. I'll try later I guess :(

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 3, 2023

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nowher posted:

God this Redfall stuff is bumming me out. But I wasn't expecting anything else.

Oh Arkane.... Look how they massacred my boy.

Yeah that studio HAS to be done by now.
Anyone with any ImSim bones must have ran for the hills with Youngblood or Deathloop.
We'll always carry Dishonored and Prey (2017) in our hearts :ohdear:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wow Shadows of Doubt is really great. I love the one-city-block sim thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadows of Doubt is as cool as it is janky...and it's really goddamn janky

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Was Deathloop not received well? I thought it was pretty fun...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Was Deathloop not received well? I thought it was pretty fun...

Its a good game and was received fine but many arkane fans felt, understandably, that the studio was heading in the wrong direction design wise

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I personally think their next game, now that they’re under Microsoft and are out of that particular era of Bethesda bad multiplayer titles, will be much more what people expect of Arkane, and it will be excellent. I get why people wouldn’t think that but it’s one of those things I feel pretty confident about (for no prooveable reason).

Orv
May 4, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Its a good game and was received fine but many arkane fans felt, understandably, that the studio was heading in the wrong direction design wise

The immersive sims will continue until morale improves.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

practically everyone also assumed that mooncrash was a trial run for deathloop, which resulted in some whiplash when they turned out to have little in common (because the teams didn't talk to each other at all)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ulio posted:

I am sure someone will now come write a thesis on why Gollum is brilliant tragic shakespearean character and he is the best character in the series. But who the gently caress greenlit this? What kind of market trends did they study where they found out that LOTR fans want to play a stealth game as Gollum? Literally some of the coolest characters in fiction and these guys picked Gollum. All for trying new innovative gameplay but this looks like the most vanilla stealth.

Maybe it made more sense back in the good old days of 2019

I'll be honest, I want to play it. Mainly just because it looks so dumb and weird

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the concept reminds me of the Styx games and I'm definitely down for more of that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anno posted:

I personally think their next game, now that they’re under Microsoft and are out of that particular era of Bethesda bad multiplayer titles, will be much more what people expect of Arkane, and it will be excellent. I get why people wouldn’t think that but it’s one of those things I feel pretty confident about (for no prooveable reason).

And then it will sell like absolute garbage because Redfall sucks.

I don't really get how it keeps happening. Studios will make a good game, it gets acclaim and sells well, then turn around and make some real dogshit that nonetheless does numbers because of the reputation of the previous game, then regardless of its actual quality the third game will ~mysteriously~ sell poorly. And then the publisher will put out a statement like "nobody likes X type of game anymore, nothing to be done about it" and shitcan the studio.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I Am Future delayed to August (now I'm more future I guess)

Meanwhile, The Tartarus Key comes out on May 31st

this is a ps1-style RE-like, and I quite liked the demo and the banter between the two main characters

John Murdoch posted:

I don't really get how it keeps happening. Studios will make a good game, it gets acclaim and sells well, then turn around and makes some real dogshit that nonetheless does numbers because of the reputation of the previous game, then regardless of its actual quality the third game will ~mysteriously~ sell poorly. And then the publisher will put out a statement like "nobody likes X type of game anymore, nothing to be done about it" and shitcan the studio.
FWIW Arkane has never had a game that sold well since the acquisition. it's not a surprise that Zenimax wanted to chase GAAS trends when Redfall went into development to pander to mainstream audiences

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 4, 2023

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

John Murdoch posted:

I don't really get how it keeps happening. Studios will make a good game, it gets acclaim and sells well, then turn around and make some real dogshit that nonetheless does numbers because of the reputation of the previous game, then regardless of its actual quality the third game will ~mysteriously~ sell poorly. And then the publisher will put out a statement like "nobody likes X type of game anymore, nothing to be done about it" and shitcan the studio.

Or it could be like the newer Deus Ex games and just stop at the second one. :(

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

John Murdoch posted:

I mean in this case a lot of their good games didn’t sell well. And progressively worse, I think.

And idk I think a lot of the sentiment isn’t against Arkane in this case. A lot of the feedback I’ve read is “why would you make the people who make Prey make this game???” If they just announced a new game that looks like a proper Arkane game in 2-3 years I think (Arkane-loving) people would be properly psyched.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

its only an immersive sim if it gets both critical acclaim and sells like total dogshit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sometimes I feel like Arkane has more bad games than good, tbh (no idea if that's literally true)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they just need to make Dark Messiah of Might & Magic 2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They made the people who made Prey make Redfall because that's been Arkane's role since Bethesda bought them - to make the games the publisher tells them to. Sometimes they're good games despite it, but they're all coming out of the same sausage factory.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The legend of zelda does arkane better than arkane at this point. a strange timeline.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

They made the people who made Prey make Redfall because that's been Arkane's role since Bethesda bought them - to make the games the publisher tells them to. Sometimes they're good games despite it, but they're all coming out of the same sausage factory.

As dumb as video game corporations can be I don’t think you’d buy Arkane and then force them to make something like Redfall. Redfall has to have been in dev since before the acquisition which was early 2021 and while Microsoft might have meddled some they couldn’t have possibly caused what we see here.

Even ignoring the gear score and stuff like that, Redfall on a purely graphical level is frankly embarrassing. It looks like a game from 2008 while being a technical disaster and running abysmally for its appearance.

Whatever happened here, Arkane must have felt on some level that Redfall was worth pursuing, though why they never felt it was worth canning may end up being the more relevant question.

E:Also literally all of people’s favorite games from them were under Zenimax so it probably wasn’t Zenimax either.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 4, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If I recall correctly a lot of classic Arkane people quit over the last few years

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bethesda bought Arkane in 2010 while they were working on Dishonored - a game named that because it was supposed to be set in feudal Japan - for Bethesda on contract.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Bethesda bought Arkane in 2010 while they were working on Dishonored - a game named that because it was supposed to be set in feudal Japan - for Bethesda on contract.

Right and then Dishonored came out and owned, even if it wasn’t set in feudal Japan and then they did Prey which was incredible and despite neither of them selling well they went on to make the Dishonored 2 games and brought Deathloop from a small side game to a full title.

Zenimax was clearly letting them do their thing despite basically none of those games selling well. Then many/most of the people behind them left.

Not everything is the hand of the evil publisher loving things up, sometimes a good studio makes a bad game. In this case the vibe seems to be the same as Andromeda; the big experience left and the rookie team did their best, just wasn’t good enough.

Though just to be absolutely clear, it is the hand of the publisher loving things up a lot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

As dumb as video game corporations can be I don’t think you’d buy Arkane and then force them to make something like Redfall. Redfall has to have been in dev since before the acquisition which was early 2021 and while Microsoft might have meddled some they couldn’t have possibly caused what we see here.

Even ignoring the gear score and stuff like that, Redfall on a purely graphical level is frankly embarrassing. It looks like a game from 2008 while being a technical disaster and running abysmally for its appearance.

Whatever happened here, Arkane must have felt on some level that Redfall was worth pursuing, though why they never felt it was worth canning may end up being the more relevant question.

E:Also literally all of people’s favorite games from them were under Zenimax so it probably wasn’t Zenimax either.

Redfall was in the works for 5 years but it’s impossible to say how much was active dev time. What we got looks like something they crunched on for a year after some major reset.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Redfall was in the works for 5 years but it’s impossible to say how much was active dev time. What we got looks like something they crunched on for a year after some major reset.

Definitely, though Redfall is so bad that I feel like there must be more to the story than just a frantic in dev reboot. Would love a Schrier et al report on it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

Not everything is the hand of the evil publisher loving things up, sometimes a good studio makes a bad game. In this case the vibe seems to be the same as Andromeda; the big experience left and the rookie team did their best, just wasn’t good enough.
yeah i'm not blaming the publisher for redfall being bad. i'm saying bethesda gave arkane redfall to make because that's how the relationship has worked for the last decade, even for the very good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

sometimes I feel like Arkane has more bad games than good, tbh (no idea if that's literally true)

Everything they made pre-Deathloop is amazing and still holds up to this day.