Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

Before that we had it in the living room, which is where the fireplace is. We had the couch against the windowed wall, the TV against the opposite wall, and so sitting on the couch the fireplace was on your left.

This is also our setup. I briefly considered installing a pull-down mount for the fireplace but realized it would look ridiculous and I’d still have to make room for an A/V cabinet to hold the receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times in this thread before, but what is the deal with the roofing companies that come around after storms offering inspections and promising to get a new roof paid for by insurance?

I'm always automatically suspicious of anyone that has to go door to door to drum up business. How scammy is the insurance part?

Our roof looks fine to me, though I could stand to get up in the crawlspace at some point just to make sure there are no leaks.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Chad Sexington posted:

How scammy is the insurance part?

"You know they don't make that shingle any more, if you get any damage you'll have to replace the whole roof!"

It's very scammy. They're almost always out-of-town companies that are following the latest hail/wind storm around the country. In the industry they're called storm chasers.

Best case you get a new roof paid for by insurance, then they skip town and you're SOL for warranty issues.

Worst case they do a lovely job and then your insurance rejects the claim, and since you already signed all the paperwork without reading it you're on the hook for the vastly-inflated costs. And then they skip town and you're SOL for warranty issues.

Extra worst case is they're not insured and one of the workers falls off your roof.

If your roof is 20+ years old, start getting quotes from local roofing companies. You don't want to wait until the roof is damaged to replace it. If you have the right insurance coverage they may cover replacement cost, but be wary of any roofer promising that insurance will cover every penny. Probably better to keep the claim off your record anyhow.

Regardless, if you get it done, you'll want to let your insurance know that it was replaced so they can update their records... they will often do audits and send out letters threatening to drop coverage simply because your roof is too old.

All that said, sometimes they're local companies and happen to be doing a job down the street. Our neighborhood got hit hard by these guys a few years back when all the houses started to turn 20 years old. I mean if you're already in the neighborhood it doesn't usually hurt to walk down the block to try to get a few more jobs.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm always automatically suspicious of anyone that has to go door to door to drum up business.

This is the correct stance. No one pays people to spend their day doing the least efficient type of advertising unless they need to exploit people's lack of information in the moment and societal pressure to be polite in order to get business they can't attract via reputation.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
For some reason a goose has decided that its favorite place to hangout is on my roof and more specifically a front portion by the garage. The heavy rains over the weekend washed a whole bunch of goose poo poo all over my car and driveway after the gutters clogged up from it. If this idiot doesn't migrate soon I might lose it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

This is the correct stance. No one pays people to spend their day doing the least efficient type of advertising unless they need to exploit people's lack of information in the moment and societal pressure to be polite in order to get business they can't attract via reputation.

That can’t be, the nice boy from last week told me he believed so much in the benefits solar gives to people that he felt compelled to spread the message to the masses and that face to face is best! He shared that he’s barely breaking even on his sales because he just wants everyone on the technology!!

/s

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
In my bathroom I have a timer switch for the fan. It looks like this, though I don't know if that's the exact model.

A month or two ago the LEDs stopped lighting, but the switch would still correctly control the fan. Recently, the switch stopped controlling the fan altogether - the fan in that bathroom cannot be turned on, the LEDs on the switch do not light.

What's my troubleshooting course of action here? The only thing I immediately know I could try is replacing the switch which I'm willing to do, but I want to see if there's anything else I should do first.

I don't know if the switch itself is the problem. Maybe the issue is elsewhere? This is why I am asking - I don't know how to troubleshoot this.

FWIW the bathroom was completely rebuilt about 4 years ago, including wiring.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s the switch and if it’s not the switch replacing the switch is the first step in trouble shooting (it’s the switch).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

My mom has a new build (2020) with a fireplace-centric living/front room and then a separate den/media room. The living room is open to the kitchen and the media room is connected connected to the kitchen with pocket doors. It works really well tbh and each room gets equal use when there are between 2-20 people there. I know not everyone has this much space but this is the way imo.

I don’t have a fireplace in my house but my tv is still going in a bonus/media/play room in the basement.

This is how our house is setup and i'm pretty jazzed about it. Previously if you wanted to hang out in my house and someone was watching Murder Mystey #673 on netflix in the living room, your options were

1) sit at the dining room table
2) go to your room, which is dedicated to the bed
3) use the office, which is dedicated to the computer

Pretty excited to have a room in the main part of the house where I can just read in a comfy chair and not be distracted by the TV :dance:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Residency Evil posted:

My Ego lawnmower battery got stolen out of my garage this winter. Are any of the Ego battery alternatives good, or will they burn my garage down, and I should just pay the $400 for a real 7.5 Ah Ego battery?

How have you been liking the Ego lawnmower? I like the idea of switching to an electric lawnmower and Ego tends to be one of the higher recommended brands.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

jjack229 posted:

How have you been liking the Ego lawnmower? I like the idea of switching to an electric lawnmower and Ego tends to be one of the higher recommended brands.

I love it. Maintenance is almost non existent, and it starts every time. The only downside is that the battery won’t last forever, especially if you’ve got a large lawn. I haven’t had more than a quarter of an acre or so, so it hasn’t been a problem in my case.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been mowing an acre with my Ego mower for about a year and a half. The mower is all kinds of hosed up from battle scars getting shoved into brush and eating quartz, stumps, and barbed wire and it still works like a champ. I only get about 1/3 to 1/2 of an acre out of a full charge of the 10 Ah battery, but that's with waiting about two weeks between mows (I'll do a section or two one weekend, then the rest the next weekend).

I'd get another battery for it so I can swap between the two but they cost $500.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 2, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tristesse posted:

For some reason a goose has decided that its favorite place to hangout is on my roof and more specifically a front portion by the garage. The heavy rains over the weekend washed a whole bunch of goose poo poo all over my car and driveway after the gutters clogged up from it. If this idiot doesn't migrate soon I might lose it.

Come on you shouldn't call yourself an idiot, how could you have known that you were moving into a goose's house

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jjack229 posted:

fwiw I have an Ego leaf blower and it's fantastic

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have the Ego SelectCut mower and a large array of their tools and they are all fantastic.

HOWEVER, their warranty service is NOT what it used to be. Since Home Depot dropped them and the pandemic started, customer service and warranty support has turned to poo poo. My 7.5AH battery was dying from overheating within 15 minutes of mowing on a cold day. I called their customer support on and off for 6 months before I finally snapped and yelled at them and only then did they agree to send me out a new battery. They were so backordered though that it took another few months to actually get the replacement in the mail. They seriously wasted the gently caress out of my time and treated me like an idiot. I don't mind doing troubleshooting stuff, because they need to weed out people that are doing dumb stuff, I get that. But they would have me run the mower sitting on concrete and time how long it took the battery to die and then when I called them back with the results they would not tell me what was a good or bad result. They would just move on to some other test, and never give me feedback other than that my result was "fine". It felt like they were just trying to get me to hang up instead of actually help me get to a solution. They also would never document the calls so the next time I called the person answering the phone would start from square one and treat me like I was lying to them. It is one of the few times I have ever actually gotten mad on the phone. Eventually I got the new battery, and I was able to use my tools again for more than 10-15 minutes and they've been good ever since, but I am dreading if I run into another issue.

Based on how I was treated, while the tools are fantastic, I am not buying any more EGO tools. When my batteries finally fail I'm switching to Milwaukee stuff. It costs 1.5x more but I know Milwaukee stands behind their warranty, as they've replaced several tools and a battery for me that failed within the warranty period without any fuss at all.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Regarding Ego, thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like they are great tools, but that's too bad to hear about the warranty support.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

I have the Ego SelectCut mower and a large array of their tools and they are all fantastic.

HOWEVER, their warranty service is NOT what it used to be. Since Home Depot dropped them and the pandemic started, customer service and warranty support has turned to poo poo. My 7.5AH battery was dying from overheating within 15 minutes of mowing on a cold day. I called their customer support on and off for 6 months before I finally snapped and yelled at them and only then did they agree to send me out a new battery. They were so backordered though that it took another few months to actually get the replacement in the mail. They seriously wasted the gently caress out of my time and treated me like an idiot. I don't mind doing troubleshooting stuff, because they need to weed out people that are doing dumb stuff, I get that. But they would have me run the mower sitting on concrete and time how long it took the battery to die and then when I called them back with the results they would not tell me what was a good or bad result. They would just move on to some other test, and never give me feedback other than that my result was "fine". It felt like they were just trying to get me to hang up instead of actually help me get to a solution. They also would never document the calls so the next time I called the person answering the phone would start from square one and treat me like I was lying to them. It is one of the few times I have ever actually gotten mad on the phone. Eventually I got the new battery, and I was able to use my tools again for more than 10-15 minutes and they've been good ever since, but I am dreading if I run into another issue.

Based on how I was treated, while the tools are fantastic, I am not buying any more EGO tools. When my batteries finally fail I'm switching to Milwaukee stuff. It costs 1.5x more but I know Milwaukee stands behind their warranty, as they've replaced several tools and a battery for me that failed within the warranty period without any fuss at all.

I bought all of my Ego stuff from home depot previously and noticed they stopped carrying them. Wonder what happened.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
RE: Electric lawn tools and warranty support...

I bought a Greenworks 3 piece blower + string trimmer + mower for a small yard. I had my blower quit after just a couple uses in August 2021. Warranty support seemed pretty good from them then, they shipped me a new (updated model) blower within 2 days of my initial email inquiring about how I can get the blower fixed. I think they might be a 'cheaper' brand than some like Ego, but I was pleasantly surprised by the warranty support I got.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Residency Evil posted:

I bought all of my Ego stuff from home depot previously and noticed they stopped carrying them. Wonder what happened.

Did Ryobi move more heavily into that space around the same time HD pulled back from Ego?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FISHMANPET posted:

Did Ryobi move more heavily into that space around the same time HD pulled back from Ego?

last time I was there all the various electric mowers etc did seem to be Ryobi.

I've got a Ryobi electric mower. It's OK. Lots of dumb fit and finish issues after a few years of banging it around (especially re: loose fasteners) but nothing I haven't been able to fix myself on the cheap.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Home Depot has a strong relationship with Techtronic who owns Milwaukee and Ryobi so they didn't want or need to stock EGOs after both Milwaukee and Ryobi had offerings.

EGO is now available at Lowes instead and also still available at ACE Hardware.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

Ego is now at Lowes and Ace and a few other places. I think it's just them signing deals with other retailers. If you haven't noticed already there's already a lot of division and exclusivity at the two big stores for power tools and it has more to do with the parent companies I think. I just read a PR about Lowes having Ego, Skil and Kobalt. Kobalt has been a long time Lowes brand so it's no surprise that Chervon might go semi exclusive.

I like my Ego stuff too by the way. Good quality, I was specifically swayed by how easy I could fold up the mower which is a huge electric advantage and saves space in my shed when I'm not using the mower.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

My only complaint about the ego lawnmower is the height settings for 1-4 inches are displayed as unitless 1-8 on the body, which forces me to do math like some nerd when I just want to mow my lawn. Cool that the mower is designed aesthetically in the “transformers-core” genre of consumer goods, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

fwiw I have an Ego leaf blower and it's fantastic

:same:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone walk me through how pool maintenance works. Let's assume it's gotten no chlorine in a month but no visible algae yet. I know I should have the floaty thing with the tabs in there but that's about it. I put a tab in there on Saturday

About to go do a free water test from Leslie's

Looks like the local trial price of a 35# bucket of 3" jumbo tabs is $209 + ~10% tax. I'm guessing because California its cheaper online, but where do you recommend

Looks like a new pool sweeper thing is $1000, I'm guessing I can buy a used one for a third that price?

I never wanted a pool but now it's my problem because wife wanted one

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Can someone walk me through how pool maintenance works. Let's assume it's gotten no chlorine in a month but no visible algae yet. I know I should have the floaty thing with the tabs in there but that's about it. I put a tab in there on Saturday

About to go do a free water test from Leslie's

Looks like the local trial price of a 35# bucket of 3" jumbo tabs is $209 + ~10% tax. I'm guessing because California its cheaper online, but where do you recommend

Looks like a new pool sweeper thing is $1000, I'm guessing I can buy a used one for a third that price?

I never wanted a pool but now it's my problem because wife wanted one

If you want to get really deep and like amateur chemistry go read troublefreepool.com and proceed from there.

If you don't want to think about it hire a pool service that will come weekly for $125/month (probably more expensive in your location.) I highly recommend this route. If you have neighbors with pools ask who they use.

The chlorine tabs got way more expensive due to production shutdowns during Covid, they are now locked up at Lowes Depot around me. The last ones I ordered from Amazon in November were $200 for a 55 lb bucket (with a 2 month slow boat shipping time.)

I don't think there's a huge market for used pool maintenance equipment but I could be wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks I'll check out that website, I think that's what I was looking for

We will probably switch to a pool guy in a couple months but in the short term I want to know what the hell I'll paying for and why these numbers matter so much

The lady at the pool supply store walked me through some of it, apparently I need to pour 3/4 gallon of muriatic acid (which eats through steel) into the water before the ph is safe to swim in :wtc:

The big thing I'm concerned about is over chlorinating the pool, every time I go swimming in a chlorinated pool I come out feeling gross and soaked in chemicals

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 3, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

Thanks I'll check out that website, I think that's what I was looking for

We will probably switch to a pool guy in a couple months but in the short term I want to know what the hell I'll paying for and why these numbers matter so much

The lady at the pool supply store walked me through some of it, apparently I need to pour 3/4 gallon of muriatic acid (which eats through steel) into the water before the ph is safe to swim in :wtc:

The big thing I'm concerned about is over chlorinating the pool, every time I go swimming in a chlorinated pool I come out feeling gross and soaked in chemicals

Keep in mind that a lot of public pools are incredibly over-chlorinated because the general public is loving gross and they need to make 110% sure that the guy with a bad fungal infection who wipes his rear end every fourth poo poo doesn't cause a public health crisis.

That said, some people are also just really sensitive to chlorination. I'm fine with it, but it dries my mother's skin out like you wouldn't believe, even at pretty sedate doses. I've never looked into it myself, but I understand that there are some chlorine additives (usually involving a salt water pool) if you've just got sensitive skin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty resilient and low allergy, healthy etc but I think at least partially sensitive to chlorine. Walking into Leslie's I feel like I can feel the chemical scarring of my lungs happening in real time. I definitely have the same reaction as your mom with the skin. I'll swim in any lake or river though, no problem

Probably going to just over test and try and keep it as close to 1.05-1.25ppm so it's tolerable

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You should definitely try to learn this complex task by spending a bunch of money and risk harming yourself instead of just hiring someone who is an expert

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s really not that complicated

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah, I worked two summers as a cashier at the city pool and the training for monitoring the water levels was pretty simple, we high schoolers and college students could handle it easily.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I follow the trouble free pool guide and once you get the water balanced it's pretty low maintenance. They are 100% going to tell you to get a salt cell and you absolutely should.

You should also at least get the test kit they recommend, the Taylor k-2006 so you can see free and combined chlorine levels separately using the DPD test

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ehh i figured out how to do my hot tub pretty easily, which feels the same as a pool except smaller and maybe more important to stay on top of cus it's just percolating away at a perfect temp to grow really nasty poo poo.

Makes you feel like a chemist, out there with your test tubes and acids and bases. It can get expensive though, even at hot tub scale. The pool boy is buying in bulk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah for the acid stuff you add the amount to a bucket of pool water and then pour the bucket back in to the pool, wear eye protection. Then go wash your hands afterwards and test the water the next day. The acid is only, looks like 29% on the high end, probably to keep morons like me from getting horrific chemical burns. Leslie's gives you a print out of what to add, and what amounts, and what order with time between treatment of each thing. My phosphorus is a little high and everything else is pretty close to balanced.

Wow I was expecting the salt generator to be much larger and cost way more than $1000. I will check that out. Looks like it's not much bigger than a tall boy I might have missed it on my first inspection last weekend

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Upgrade posted:

You should definitely try to learn this complex task by spending a bunch of money and risk harming yourself instead of just hiring someone who is an expert

Pool cleaning "expert" lol most dudes you hire will have no idea what they're doing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And they will gently caress your wife

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Everyone I know who lives in this area and has a pool has switched over to a salt water set up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On a scale of one to hosed where does this HVAC sit. My garage is nearly as warm as my house when the heat is on

That galvanized bit is the gas furnace and water heater exhaust, maybe. The sad sack white plywood box is related to the air return. I don't have the courage to open the hinged access panel that's blocked by another home made bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Is the boob light structural in anchoring the furnace?

I mean, it just looks ... Really messy.