Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

https://jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf

spoiler: yes

anyways it's the latter. i could write a bunch of poo poo about alienated Americans who, as humans, naturally crave human interaction but are too alienated and lonely to seek it so they turn to TV as a vouyer to experience humanity from the comfort of their couch. that empty one-way mirror lets them stress-free experience and consume human interaction that they lack irl. but as empty shells of people, this means their identity become one defined by their consumption: that is, they are superior because they consume the superior product, unlike the other masses. so this leads to people getting insanely manic and upset over TV writing 9999 paragraphs about a mundane detail.

but i won't

television is reality and reality is less than television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

bedpan posted:

television is reality and reality is less than television

its not television, its hbo (human body odor)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

if you manage to eke out 55-60k a year in like Madison or Oaklahoma City between theater and corporate retreats/team building acting workshop type poo poo you don't need a second job, but if you only make that much in LA or NYC you almost definitely do

you’ve already listed 2 jobs, acting and doing the corporate retreat circuit (something that only pays in locations corporations are or want to retreat to) you’re saying maybe they don’t need a 3rd job lol

indigi posted:

Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede

$22/hr with no raises is a lot better than minimum wage, but their scheduling does appear to make it nearly impossible to hold down a second or third job.

And that’s probably one of the best paying employers in the low cost of living areas.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 20:18 on May 3, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Buck Wildman posted:

in my cynicism I'm glad they didn't have paul go WOOOOO HOO HOOOO while riding the worm

It's still possible, only a trailer

croup coughfield posted:

lotta showbiz experts itt

Goons are posting experts, but that's it ime

Is there still a life advice subforum? Imagine the lives destroyed

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Yeah it's called e/n and it's exactly as you imagine

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you ask goons for relationship advice they just tell you to get a divorce (or that your spouse should divorce you) but I think that happens everywhere you ask for relationship advice online

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

my main takeaway from the actor money video is that capitalism is the most efficient possible system for making tv and movies, and that its good that we have a jobs program for people like agents, business managers, lawyers, publicists, and pr teams who cant do anything of value but still need to get some of the money so they can eat and pay rent

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m the only guy in here on a first-name basis with Tony winners smh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I’m the only guy in here on a first-name basis with Tony winners smh

What's Mr. Winners like in person?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

first ep of White House Plumbers is decent, worth a watch alone for Liddy jumping out of the second story of his home to threaten some rowdy teens with a gun while Hitler is yelling in the background

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im actually inclined to agree with indigi on this because hollywood is structured really weird relative to other film markets in that theres very little interplay between film acting and other kinds of acting you dont generally see people jump between tv and stage and film productions and its a lot more common in other countries

even netflix legitimizing the idea of big budget tv has had way more dramatic effects in other film markets rather than the american one after a certain point you gotta acknowledge that either the acting culture or agent culture is the main driver for this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
what about an acting gig in vancouver, where half the tv shows are filmed?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

did u know that the main actor in glee was a guy from vancouver who killed himself with drugs because the drugs in los angeles were so awesome they made vancouver drugs seem like sniffing glue

i thought that was very interesting

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/notnotdia/status/1653424133223624704

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that sounds horrible
they should unionize and strike like the writers or something

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol @ taking your taxes out and then calling that your income

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

actors in Hollywood don't really want to act, they mostly want to be famous. if you just want to act, like that's your chosen profession that you love as an art, you can make a living as an actor in way more places than LA (and NYC to a lesser extent). but that's pretty much the only place you can get rich and famous doing it (in English anyway)

a lot of actors in LA like acting a lot & get to eat cereal for a commercial and say "honey I'm worried about your heart health did you know cheerios is now reccomended by 9 out of 10 doctors" or whatever and get $5000 for a day of work plus $17 for wearing their own clothes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I like how The Master ends with him turning Processing into like a fun party trick to do with his one night stands because it's the only way he doesn't know how else to process being psychologically abused for a couple years

the screenplay of the master has some more scenes before he goes to England but it still is kinda a whiplash (the feeling not the movie) at the end. He rides the motorcycle and then later goes to england and finds out he's not loved by daddy and then he fucks some british lady. I agree the final scene is very good but the ending is not.

If you remember, PSH's character's daughter wants to gently caress Freddie (main characteR) but her husband (malick) is kinda unaware and naive well they go to a strip club and he meets a nice stripper and then later at the theater she's there (but maybe it's a dream) and then he gets the dream phone call saying to go to england

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

also the biggest regional theatres, and thus your best shot at making rent, are in California and the NY metro area anyway lol

Minneapolis!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no one is saying they aren't workers, we're making fun of trhem for pretending a shitload of money is not actually that much

if you're working at a regular job making 175k a year, it's understood that you will end up making as much or more for the rest of your working life. that's just not true for actors and especially actresses and like athletes, they're left with a lot of non-transferrable skills

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

a lot of actors in LA like acting a lot & get to eat cereal for a commercial and say "honey I'm worried about your heart health did you know cheerios is now reccomended by 9 out of 10 doctors" or whatever and get $5000 for a day of work plus $17 for wearing their own clothes

you know better than this that that $5000 often represents unpaid weeks of failed auditions even before all the money to the agent/manager/publicist rent-seeking void

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

figure something out with $175,000k instead of letting everything fall apart lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i owuld have invested in bitcoin and gotten that bag

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grey Fox posted:

first ep of White House Plumbers is decent, worth a watch alone for Liddy jumping out of the second story of his home to threaten some rowdy teens with a gun while Hitler is yelling in the background

kept reading this as waffle house plumbers

wait, hitler?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I remember when I worked at a film lit agency our writers got absolutely destroyed with taxes on their writing gigs. Like yeah you might get six figures for a script but it got taxed like you made that much every six months, and those guys and gals could go years between jobs.

Still probably better than writing books though, lol.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

why would a script not get taxed like normal income?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

wait, hitler?
lol I wonder how many people's first exposure to G. Gordon Liddy will be this show

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

scripts should get taxed higher

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

scripts should get taxed higher

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Grey Fox posted:

lol I wonder how many people's first exposure to G. Gordon Liddy will be this show

ohhhh, duh. i thought you meant literally hitler and this going alt history. it'd have made sense if so. i kinda forgot liddy just liked to listen to those old hitler records.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why would a script not get taxed like normal income?

because sometimes they are sold and it's not work done for a wage. sometimes it is. the writers guild site can be kind of helpful.

https://www.wga.org/members/employment-resources/writers-deal-hub/screen-compensation-guide

the minimum basic agreement is where you'll find more details. there are different kinds of contracts/pay structures for different things like https://www.wga.org/contracts/contracts/other-contracts

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

that scene was so good from the start with the liddy kids doing their weirdo von trapp thing on the steps, seeing liddy just fall in the background, e hunts giving each other WTF eyes the whole time

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

loquacius posted:

If you ask goons for relationship advice they just tell you to get a divorce (or that your spouse should divorce you) but I think that happens everywhere you ask for relationship advice online

That's only because most posts asking for advice are like, "hello, my wife punches me in the balls every day. When I come home from work she pulverizes my nards like Johnny Cage and when I try talking to her she spits in my face and tells me I ruined her life. We have three kids named Wimple, Hitler Jr, and Playstation 4 (she picked all the names). I love my wife and I want to make this work but I am somewhat concerned by her behavior. What should I do?"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Trabisnikof posted:

$22/hr with no raises is a lot better than minimum wage, but their scheduling does appear to make it nearly impossible to hold down a second or third job.

And that’s probably one of the best paying employers in the low cost of living areas.

this isn't really acting.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the Stampede seems to just call them performers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you could say Medieval Times folks are acting but when I went to Dixie Stampede there was no storyline and the only speaking role was the host

e: maybe they changed it, I went in 2003.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

then it seems like there actually aren't a lot of well paying acting gigs in the middle of the country

indigi posted:

you could say Medieval Times folks are acting but when I went to Dixie Stampede there was no storyline and the only speaking role was the host

e: maybe they changed it, I went in 2003.

well its no longer called dixie stampede for one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the stampede is about heritage not hate

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

where did the "well paying" stipulation come from I never said that. 90% of employed actors in LA aren't well paid

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

indigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0dVw5lOLU&t=1478s

this looks like a mummer's farce to me, much like your post. some of them are clearly acting out parts

blazing saddles was a documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2W1lK7P-I&t=85s

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 22:32 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

where did the "well paying" stipulation come from I never said that. 90% of employed actors in LA aren't well paid

i mean "well paying" as in "pay sufficient to allow someone to support themselves in the place that acting job is"

because you made it seem like they could all just make 55k in Branson Mo with a single acting job, but instead were too vain and had to go to LA for the clout.