Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
been out of the loop for a while. is anyone uploading matches for on-demand viewing? i know there are a few channels on twitch but usually never able to catch it live.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

SUN DAWG posted:

been out of the loop for a while. is anyone uploading matches for on-demand viewing? i know there are a few channels on twitch but usually never able to catch it live.

MidnightSumo runs 24 hour re-runs and NattoSumo, despite being taken down repeatedly, will be uploading the May tournament to: https://www.youtube.com/@nattosumo4 once it starts. NHK took down a ton of channels in Jan.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

and Kintamayama popped back up doing vids too, so not sure what to expect this go round, but keep tabs on all the typical places...

Off topic: Did anyone watch the Sumo drama, Sanctuary, that popped up on Netflix recently ? Worth checking out?

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Copy & pasted from Kintamayama's newsletter:

Kintamayama posted:

The rikishi were weighed and checked for height.

Tallest- Hokuseihou- 2.04 meters, Kagayaki 1.93
Shortest: Midorifuji 1.71, Tobizaru 1.74

Weights:
Terunofuji - 174 kilos - Lost six since last weigh-in
Takakeishou- 165, no change
Kiribayama - 143, +3
Houshouryuu - 142, +1
Daieishou - 164, -1
Wakamotoharu - 147, +4
Kotonowaka - 176, +4
Wakatakakage - 132 - not weighed
Shoudai - 161, +1
Abi - 158, +2
Midorifuji - 116, -1
Takayasu - 183, +6
Endou _ 150, no change
Tobizaru - 135, +2
Nishikifuji - 149, -1
Ura - 143, -3
Nishikigi - 180, +4
Kinbouzan - 181, +7
Kotoshouhou (161, -2
Meisei - 154, no change
Mitakeumi - 170, no change
Hokutofuji - 158, -1
Tamawashi - 174, not weighed
Sadanoumi - 142, no change
Takanoshou - 170, +5
Ounoshou - 165, +1
Hiradoumi - 135, no change
Ryuuden - 155, +1
Takarafuji - 171, no change
Hokuseihou - 185, +8
Daishouhou - 196, +7
Aoiyama (186, -3
Kotoekou - 133, +4
Chiyoshouma - 137, no change
Ichinojou - 219, not weighed
Asanoyama - 168, -3
Myougiryuu 156, no change
Ichiyamamoto - 144, -2
Tsurugishou - 194, -6
Mitoryuu - 199, +5
Ouhou - 179, +1
Kagayaki - 158, no change

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Surprised Hokuseiho's putting on more weight, that didn't seem like a problem in any of his matches as much as gassing out after the initial clash.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
He's still young. My metabolism changed a lot between 20 and 30.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SHODAI getting bigger… same tbf.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
With the young guys it is really hard to tell just from the numbers how much of it is added muscle from training and how much just bulk, it should be more obvious when we see them in competition.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Time for snorlax to rest. Ichinojo retiring.

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1653849689823891456

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

And that explains why I couldn't find him in the list. Hope he drops some weight and heals up in retirement.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

When did he pick up the back injury?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

drat, he was so dominant in Juryo. Oh well, I hope he gets better.

Bentai posted:

When did he pick up the back injury?

I don't know, but I would guess just from being a giant?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ichinojo was on my permanent sport shitlist because of the abuse but I hope he can get to a healthier weight and get the alcohol problems under control.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Let's go Kiribayama(+3)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actively disliked Ichinojo since basically day one, but in a kind of “guy you love to hate” way. I don’t enjoy seeing him retire due to injury. I was hoping to he’d hang around to boo for a long time :\

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

He was a violent alcoholic.

I hope he gets help and becomes a non-violent, non-alcoholic, but he also sucks poo poo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Let’s go Takayasu and those +6 kilos of juiciness

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1653864401017905157
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1653864403345854479
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1653864405434507264
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1653864407456202752

The back pain was to the point he was having problems sleeping even sitting up. Dude made the right call for the future of his health.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I was a big Ichinojo fan until all the poo poo about him came out, he was at the very least a unique rikishi who brought something different to the bouts he actually performed in.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Real shame about Ichi having to retire, but good on him for putting his health first

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wonder what his plans are if he went to the trouble of getting citizenship but doesn't want to stay in sumo

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Thauros posted:

wonder what his plans are if he went to the trouble of getting citizenship but doesn't want to stay in sumo

My Google-Fu is weak but early on in his career he said the thing he liked most about Japan is you don't have to look out for wolves. Most Mongolian rikishi hail from Ulaanbaatar, but Ichinojo grew up out on the plains.

I could 100% see the appeal of living in Japan with lots of cash on hand.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

Might also have been a change of plans where he wanted to but with all the poo poo that's happened changed his mind/was told not to bother waiting for a spot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

My Google-Fu is weak but early on in his career he said the thing he liked most about Japan is you don't have to look out for wolves. Most Mongolian rikishi hail from Ulaanbaatar, but Ichinojo grew up out on the plains.

I could 100% see the appeal of living in Japan with lots of cash on hand.

Original tweet is missing, but here's the @sumofollower one you're referring to:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/973225043433021440

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The new Netflix sumo drama "Sanctuary" just released today. Two episodes in and this is a good generic review:

Sanctuary: Sympathetic Characters Are For Babies And We're Big Tough Grown-Ups Who Say Swears

The shooting direction and framing is wonderful, the writing and setups are rough at times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw0H142Hh-U

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/0c67d7961da3357d7d48c0e18f5812ca2eb6d71c

Yasunishi (Sandanme 90), a wrestler in the Michinoku stable was regularly beaten and abused by a senior wrestler, Kirinofuji (Makushita 18), including being shot with an air gun and hit with a frying pan. Yasunishi says Michinoku Oyakata (former Ozeki Kirishima) and the JSA both covered it up, which allowed the abuse to continue.

:smith:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Time to reset the IT HAS BEEN ___ DAYS WITHOUT SCANDAL IN SUMO sign back to 0 I guess.

Looking forward to watching the basho, although I might be catching up on week 1 during my honeymoon. God willing we'll get 2 ozeki promotions after this tournament, Takakeisho clears his kadoban, and Terunofuji makes a strong showing, so Fantasy can be a bit more fun for Nagoya!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I assume all the stables are insanely abusive behind the scenes given pretty much everything about how sumo works and the environment the wrestlers are in

Incredibly strict hierarchies
Boarding school/military dorm living
No girlfriends/social life allowed
Suck it up pussy, it's only a broken spine attitude

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I know we aren’t doing fantasy sumo this time, but I am gonna say Takayasu goes all the way this time.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, we're not?

Or well, I'm retired. But you're not?

I'm sure there's got to be someone willing to fill in for Kenning if he's away getting married (congrats btw!)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah I thought it was a “bye” basho because of that. Maybe I’m wrong. (I hope I am!)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Beeswax posted:

I'm sure there's got to be someone willing to fill in for Kenning if he's away getting married (congrats btw!)

The thing is I'm quite certain that Kenning teaching someone how to use their spreadsheets/run this thing is at least as much if not more effort than just running the thing.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Here's a quick and dirty sample Google Sheets I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10WvRL33j-yAJ3ayzWAaGLRUtfvEQQY3sHk4Bn0HK9Ck/edit?usp=sharing

It's pretty easy to see who's winning by doing a countif function and setting it to count O and just fill in the cells with O or X to signal a win or loss. From there it's easy to also count any points for Yusho, Jun-Yusho, KK, MK, etc. The hard part is where trades come in as I have to go in to the player's sheet, note which day the one rikishi ended on, then do a countif function for only those specific days instead of being able to simply reference a cell from the master sheet. I then have to start the new rikishi to only count from the day they count in the player's sheet until the end of the tournament.

I initially thought about doing a Total point count, but that gets messy with regarding trades and making sure I don't put in the wrong points by accident, or double up on points. That's what I was looking to do with my tab. With Kenning's tab I instead counted by the Wins column, then add in the rest of the points to get the grand total.

Counting Yusho, Jun-Yusho, Sansho and Kinboshi are pretty easy since it's so few rikishi. Just find out who has the Yusho winner, for example, do a find by the winner's name and everyone who has the winner I pop a 5 into the cell for the Yusho points. Pretty quick.

KK and MK are also pretty easy, 8 and above, pop a point into the KK cell, 7 and below, pop a negative half point into the MK cell. When it comes to trades though, I'll have to cross reference the master sheet since in the example of Kenning's sample sheet, he gets 4 points for Kiribayama, Takayasu, Kotoeko and Endo, who was traded for and -1 point for Hokutofuji and Tobizaru who he traded away. Hence the importance of marking when a trade happened.

However, I don't have any knowledge on how the draft works, plus I'll be out of town from the 18th and not back until the 22nd with only a phone to make updates to the sheet.

Thoughts?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That sheet will work well enough for the basho if there's no trading. Trading is quite annoying to deal with, because you need to record not only each rikishi's daily score, but also each player's daily rikishi. I have a few vague thoughts on how to improve my sheet, but currently I use a pretty extra INDEX and FILL formula to do that. It's fairly easy to use for me at the moment, but I've never taught anyone how to do it, so I don't know how easy it would be to teach. I'd hoped to have something cleaner to share, but my year has been quite full and well here we are. If you'd like, you can download the .xlxs file and make of it what thou wilt. I wish anyone who attempts to do so all the best.

Drafting is fairly messy, and formatting the draft results to post on SA is very messy. I have a great dream of getting my friend who is a programmer to write me a simple web app to handle all of this, but we didn't get very far last time we were trying to plan it. Perhaps some day.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kenning posted:

That sheet will work well enough for the basho if there's no trading. Trading is quite annoying to deal with, because you need to record not only each rikishi's daily score, but also each player's daily rikishi. I have a few vague thoughts on how to improve my sheet, but currently I use a pretty extra INDEX and FILL formula to do that. It's fairly easy to use for me at the moment, but I've never taught anyone how to do it, so I don't know how easy it would be to teach. I'd hoped to have something cleaner to share, but my year has been quite full and well here we are. If you'd like, you can download the .xlxs file and make of it what thou wilt. I wish anyone who attempts to do so all the best.

Drafting is fairly messy, and formatting the draft results to post on SA is very messy. I have a great dream of getting my friend who is a programmer to write me a simple web app to handle all of this, but we didn't get very far last time we were trying to plan it. Perhaps some day.

How many trades do you think happen on average per basho and on average how many per person? Lets say there are 40 trades by 30 people, that's pretty easy to change the formula from simply recording the number as seen in your sample draft in my sheet, Kiribayama ='Rikishi Scores'!Q17 to something like what it would say for Tobizaru. Tobizaru (Until Day 6) =countif('Rikishi Scores'!B39:F39, "O")

The rest of it is simple =sum calculations.

The initial setup for everyone involved is the long part, for example, having to go find everyone who has Hokutofuji for example and putting in ='Rikishi Scores'!Q12 into the cell next to Hokutofuji's name to properly record the wins. Multiply that by 42 rikishi and that does take a bit.

It's manual but does involve having to be meticulous. I'm no expert with Excel mind you, but I'll look at your sheet as well to see what you have going on as I've been curious for a while.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I joined kachi clash for this one, my place on the goonzuke is precious to me but I'll use the off site this once, if anyone is jonesing for their fantasy sumo it might be a handy alternative.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sumo Kaboom has a really fun bingo game, too, that lets you win (real prizes, potentially!) off either winning or losing records.

In other news, this John Gunning article was featured in today's Japan Times daily newsletter: Return of yokozuna deliberation council offers good and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Stolen from Reddit, an article on Ichinojo's retirement.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6013b2e7aa07d8e1310ac6637e946f785fbf4f0c