Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Resdfru posted:

For those of you who do wired android auto, how long does a cable last you? I had issues with cables in the past lasting months, then I got a braided cable from Amazon basics and that was awesome for a year. Is there something out there that will stand up to being unplugged and plugged multiple times a day for more than a year?

I've never had to replace a cable. Which is good because I have it run through the center console of my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Resdfru posted:

For those of you who do wired android auto, how long does a cable last you? I had issues with cables in the past lasting months, then I got a braided cable from Amazon basics and that was awesome for a year. Is there something out there that will stand up to being unplugged and plugged multiple times a day for more than a year?

What part of the cable is wearing out?

My Anker braided cables have lasted since my Pixel 1, so maybe give those a shot if you haven't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using a 6 inch cable from monoprice for like 3 years in my car. USB-A to USB-C, braided. Plug in twice a day, but tight bend from the port to the phone, zero problems.

BUT, I do not have Android Auto, I stream Bluetooth and the cable just charges the phone.

My mom has an Amazon cable in her car for years, now. It never failed, but is rarely used. Still, it's plugged into the car and beaten up as she doesn't care about it, just works when I plug my phone in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This reminds me... just as a comment. I have the ATOTO F7 XE in-dash unit with wireless and wired AA and CP.

It comes with a hardwired USB cable... you can't unplug it. And unfortunately, at least for my P7, it can't charge faster than it uses battery which is kind of lame.

I mean I use Wireless AA, but if I were to use wired for whatever reason... the battery drains faster with maps/spotify going than it can charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Auto has always seemed REALLY sensitive to changes in resistance in the cable or anything attenuating the signal at all. This is one of the reasons why I moved to wireless AA awhile ago, connect that poo poo up once and never touch it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bull3964 posted:

Android Auto has always seemed REALLY sensitive to changes in resistance in the cable or anything attenuating the signal at all. This is one of the reasons why I moved to wireless AA awhile ago, connect that poo poo up once and never touch it again.

Got a recommended dongle or whatever you use?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Got a recommended dongle or whatever you use?

https://www.aawireless.io/

Backed when it was crowd funded and have been using it for about 2 years without issue. I have two of them, one for each car. One is a 2019 Golf R and the other is a 2015 Subaru BRZ with a an aftermarket Sony headunit that supports Android Auto.

Every once and while I'll get some wierdness where it doesn't launch right away, but for the most part it's rock solid and my situation may be due to my stupid amount of phones.

Motorola also makes a similar product as well that people seem to like. Motorola MA1 and you can usually find them in best buy. The only thing that makes me pause about that device is the captive cable on it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, after 10 days with my new Grand Cherokee, I can safely say that the BT issues I had in my Trax are entirely on the Trax. Not sure what kind of poo poo-tier BT chip they're using, but my P6P would disconnect constantly, not answer calls correctly, etc etc.

So far, the GC has been perfect with BT function, and better overall with AA function.

The Car Play functionality, oddly, seems a lot better in the Trax. My kid's iPhone has no trouble.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Huh crazy, I guess Amazon makes lovely cables. I have anker c to c cables but no A to C. When this Amazon one dies I'll try anker.

I'm not sure which part of the cable gets worn out, but it's been. With 2 cars and 2 different phones now. Sometimes a bump in the road makes android auto disconnect. Or if I pick the phone up. Other times I can pick it up and it works fine. It's frustrating.

I considered android auto but my data port in my car is right above the wireless charging pad and I dunno where I'd put the dongle. I guess I could disable the wireless charger and stick it in that little cavity and just plug my phone into one of the fast charging usb c ports.... Maybe I'll do that instead of another dumb cable

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Resdfru posted:

Huh crazy, I guess Amazon makes lovely cables. I have anker c to c cables but no A to C. When this Amazon one dies I'll try anker.

I'm not sure which part of the cable gets worn out, but it's been. With 2 cars and 2 different phones now. Sometimes a bump in the road makes android auto disconnect. Or if I pick the phone up. Other times I can pick it up and it works fine. It's frustrating.

I considered android auto but my data port in my car is right above the wireless charging pad and I dunno where I'd put the dongle. I guess I could disable the wireless charger and stick it in that little cavity and just plug my phone into one of the fast charging usb c ports.... Maybe I'll do that instead of another dumb cable

amazon doesnt make a single thing. their basics line across all departments is just licensing the cheapest possible product on the market and slapping their name on it.

do not buy anything from amazon basics unless you intend to literally throw it away in use, like trash bags and diapers and paper products.

a year or two ago amazon basics surge protectors and power cables were literally catching fire in people's homes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had Anker A-C cables not even work RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX with Android Auto.

It is REALLY REALLY touchy on anything attenuating the signal. Keep em short. Keep em low resistance.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would have to replace my wired android auto cable every couple of months. Cable would work fine for a few months, then start getting occasional disconnects, then frequent ones. Swap the cable and immediately working great again for another few months. My car only had a USB port in the center console so needed a relatively long one. Tried a few different brands/types. One of the main reasons I switched to wireless android auto which has been a lot more reliable.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I have the same issue. Bumping the cable disconnects wired Android Auto about 50% of the time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Seconding this unit. Mine just works. I think the only weirdness I have is if I ever reboot my phone, I need to reopen the aawireless app at least once otherwise it won't auto connect in the car. It's probably something simple but I can't be bothered to troubleshoot it much.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Motorola wireless AA adapter has been great. I hate to admit it because I have a vendetta against Motorola cellphones, but the AA dongle has been close to perfect for me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone know why smart lock randomly stops working and has to have a full reboot and re-enable? If I notice it not working and try to go to it in settings I just get a blank screen after putting in my pin, which is why I have to restart to re-enable it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AAwireless haver here too. It works great. My only complaint is my phone trying to connect to it when I walk by my car even when not getting into it

I don't think there's really a solution to that since my car leaves the usb ports on when off for up to a week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

AAwireless haver here too. It works great. My only complaint is my phone trying to connect to it when I walk by my car even when not getting into it

I don't think there's really a solution to that since my car leaves the usb ports on when off for up to a week.

Poke around in the app. There's settings now for it to go to sleep after an interval if it doesn't detect the Bluetooth from your head unit. Not sure how reliable it is though since I don't have to use it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone know why smart lock randomly stops working and has to have a full reboot and re-enable? If I notice it not working and try to go to it in settings I just get a blank screen after putting in my pin, which is why I have to restart to re-enable it.

Same thing happening here FWIW

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

AAwireless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Motorola wireless AA adapter

Has anyone had both of these and can say which is better? Did some looking and seems maybe for some people the Motorola has lag changing songs or issuing other commands? But the AAwireless may not cause they have their app/something proprietary

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Product page is up folks!

https://store.google.com/intl/en/ideas/pixel-is-open/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Pixel 7a hands-on AMA, if that interests you

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...nt=share_button

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I'm really getting curious about the camera setup on the Pixel Fold.

You can see from the renders that the rumors of the 5x tele are likely true since that's a periscope lens in the official render. I actually didn't think they would be able to pull that off on the space constraints and REALLY makes Samsung look bad for sticking with the same S2x series 3x tele on the Z Fold.

The second thing is the rumored 48mp main. This is a head scratcher. My assumption was that if they were going to have to pass on the GN1 in the 6 and 7, that they would adopt whatever the A series was doing. But that's neither the 12mp old sensor or the new 64mp sensor in the Pixel 7a. I see two possibilities.

1) Google found a way to cram a larger sensor than the 1/3" Pixel 7a sensor into the Fold but couldn't go as large as the GN1 so they sourced something in-between. The only issue I find with that is Google really likes to keep their sensor family small.

2) It IS the GN1 but cropped to 48mp to reduce z-depth. This would be very very interesting if it happens to be true. If so, it would mean an equivalent camera setup as the 7 and 7 Pro (with a slight bit of resolution loss on the main).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I *really* want a Pixel foldable phone, but just no way I can pay that much for a phone :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I *really* want a Pixel foldable phone, but just no way I can pay that much for a phone :(

this

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Am I brokebrained for wanting to switch from 7 to 7a? It seems like basically the same phone and I love the smaller form factor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-7a,Google-Pixel-7/phones/12071,11908

it's a pretty marginal difference

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Poke around in the app. There's settings now for it to go to sleep after an interval if it doesn't detect the Bluetooth from your head unit. Not sure how reliable it is though since I don't have to use it.

Looked around and there's an option for Start/Stop and this seems to be it. So far it seems to have stopped the random connects to android auto.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Looks about the same difference going from 6 to 7 and it was definitely noticeable.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kirios posted:

Am I brokebrained for wanting to switch from 7 to 7a?

yes

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

You can disable the trust agent and re-enable it and it'll work for a day or two. I'm so annoyed that Android keeps breaking good stuff.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best external power bank these days? At the moment I'm using one of those lipstick-sized Anker batteries, and although it works, it doesn't support fast charging.

I'm hanging on to my Pixel 4 for now, until I can replace it with this year's model, and I don't need anything gigantic - just something to give me a few extra hours when I'm travelling.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Is it just me or is Samsung autocorrect really really bad? It only corrects my typos about half the time, but it has a tendency to overwrite words with completely different ones (i.e. artisinal to artificial)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Didn't know where else to post this. I have a 2017 Chevy and the entertainment system supports Android Auto pretty well with my Pixel 6 phone (using Bluetooth). Google Maps does not provide on-screen navigation but it does announce directions out loud. The problem I've been having is that for a lot of the spoken directions, the first second of audio is cut off. Instead of "turn right on Alder" I get "-on Alder" which is not that helpful. Any idea what might cause this?

e: upon further perusal of the manual, it appears I am connecting by Bluetooth but not using Android Auto? I will try connecting with a data cable and see how that goes.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 8, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you listening to other audio from the phone when this happens?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Are you listening to other audio from the phone when this happens?

Usually I'm listening to music or a podcast. I can see if it happens without those.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, the first couple syllables are cut off even if there isn't other audio playing. There's probably no reason not to be using Android Auto, but I've got to get a data cable.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

P7P screen cracked in my pocket last night for no apparent reason, time to go get gouged for $300 to get it replaced before work and hope insurance pays for it.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

mutantIke posted:

Is it just me or is Samsung autocorrect really really bad? It only corrects my typos about half the time, but it has a tendency to overwrite words with completely different ones (i.e. artisinal to artificial)

Yep. I've mostly used Samsung for my past few daily drivers and always switch to Gboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone know why autocorrect would just turn itself off? Seems like every day is a fun new bug in Android land!