Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Warmachine posted:

This was one of the first things I saw when I started playing last year as well, and definitely was part of the "I'm staying" decision--when I started, I was firmly in the no more MMOs camp.

I think it's all the little side stuff that captivates me so much. The midi bands are part of it, but I just love that sense of there being so much stuff to do. Get tired of the main quest, why not try the card game? The RTS? Chocobo Breeding/Racing? Catch all the big fish? You wanna try the roguelike mode? Why not go in the zone deliberately designed like older MMOs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
There is a card game?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

There are two big things XIV has going for it that kept me from going back to WoW like every other MMO did. Being able to do every single thing on one character and basically zero content rot. Level sync is inspired and having the leveling dungeons always there for you to queue into instead of never seeing them again once you've leveled past them is so good.

Mesadoram posted:

There is a card game?

Triple Triad?

Also they forgot to mention Mahjong! This game somehow has one of the best online clients for it and you can happily play it on the free trial!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah that's fair, I did forget about Mahjong. I haven't played in a while just because I'm on the new Data Center so queues are absurdly long, but I really oughta visit another DC just for Mahjong sometimes.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

Triple Triad?

Also they forgot to mention Mahjong! This game somehow has one of the best online clients for it and you can happily play it on the free trial!

They have triple triad in game?

Welp, I know what I am doing later.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It should kick you out of the Mahjong queue if you don't have a portrait set. Nobody gets shamed for their stone-faced mugshot, and I don't feel self-conscious for being the only one to strike a pose.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Oh yes. Gold Saucer has periodic tournaments, there are NPCs all over the game you can play with, bosses will drop cards of themselves, it's a whole thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do note that the noble goal of finishing a triple triad collection involves interacting with just about literally every other piece of content in the game. it's a fun ride and it'll absolutely get you doing things you probably didn't even know were part of the game, but it's absolutely a long-term goal

you do get a sweet mount of a flying triple triad card though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Relyssa posted:

There are two big things XIV has going for it that kept me from going back to WoW like every other MMO did. Being able to do every single thing on one character and basically zero content rot. Level sync is inspired and having the leveling dungeons always there for you to queue into instead of never seeing them again once you've leveled past them is so good.

Triple Triad?

FFXIV feels like it took the lessons of MMO history and synthesized them into something cohesive. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that FFXIV doesn't seem to have many 'parasitic' systems--gameplay loops that don't contribute to and improve the core gameplay. Where they do exist, they don't pollute the core experience. Bozja and Eureka exist, but their special rules don't leak into the main game so you're free to engage with their gameplay style if you want or just ignore it if you don't. To look pointedly at WoW for a moment, the expansions don't add one-off gameplay gimmicks that mean nothing after the next expansion launches. If they do--beyond Bozja and Eureka, the Firmament and Blue Mage come to mind--it doesn't force you to engage with it as part of the primary loop of the MMO genre.

This is something that's really hard for me to nail down without :words: but I think FFXIV absolutely nailed the 'themepark' of the themepark MMO space. You've got the main attraction (the MSQ), and a slew of other high quality rides and activities to enjoy, but there's no obligation to engage with anything other than the MSQ if you don't want to, and the MSQ isn't going to some out of nowhere and say you need to build up a garrison or grind up a legendary weapon to proceed. At least, barring that bit with Crystal Tower anyway. CT is the odd-man-out in my praise here because while I liked it well enough, it does cut against the rule of "you only need to engage with the MSQ, everything else is optional" by putting large-group content in the position of being a gate to MSQ progress. It is the only content of its kind that the MSQ forces you to complete--otherwise the MSQ keeps you firmly in the realm of 4-man dungeons and 8-man trials, the selection of which are generally very low pressure.

And with the development of the trust/duty support systems, there's a non-zero it manages to square the CT-shaped circle. The positives and negatives of this notwithstanding; I'm only looking at it from a consistency of experience from Level 1 to Level 90.

Just to dunk on WoW one more time before finishing this post, (Shb/EW spoilers) Azem's crystal could have super easily become a Heart of Azeroth style doodad instead of existing as 'just' a plot macguffin and fuel for 10,000 fan theories. But it didn't because such a thing would have added nothing to the core FFXIV gameplay experience and probably actively detracted from it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

flatluigi posted:

do note that the noble goal of finishing a triple triad collection involves interacting with just about literally every other piece of content in the game. it's a fun ride and it'll absolutely get you doing things you probably didn't even know were part of the game, but it's absolutely a long-term goal

Lol, just lmao, if you're not trying to 100% the game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mesadoram posted:

One of us, one of us...

What keeps me staying with FF14, ironically, is that I'm allowed to leave. There's no massive daily quests required to stay current with raids, nothing aside from my house will decay if I ever decide to take a few months off. I don't have a need to do things as soon as they come out or nobody will be around to do them at all (aside from Bozja, Criterion dungeons, and some Savages) and even if I do have issues those aren't locking me out of doing whatever's current.

I can play as much or as little as I want and the only compulsions to get into a grind are the ones I give myself.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Rarity posted:

Lol, just lmao, if you're not trying to 100% the game
As someone that does a lot of content, 100% Triple Triad card collecting is still a "that is too much work" hill I am refusing to climb. I'm sure I'll do it eventually though.

Fishing is the big one where I'm still like nope, nuh uh, not a chance. The people with all the fishing achievements are the people I consider the biggest sickos. Not people that grind Ultimates or solo deep dungeon grinders or PvP people or whatever else. It's the fishers that scare me

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bruceski posted:

One of us, one of us...

What keeps me staying with FF14, ironically, is that I'm allowed to leave. There's no massive daily quests required to stay current with raids, nothing aside from my house will decay if I ever decide to take a few months off. I don't have a need to do things as soon as they come out or nobody will be around to do them at all (aside from Bozja, Criterion dungeons, and some Savages) and even if I do have issues those aren't locking me out of doing whatever's current.

I can play as much or as little as I want and the only compulsions to get into a grind are the ones I give myself.

I totally agree! I jumped back in like I never left, and it felt natural and easy to get back into it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There’s very little FOMO outside seasonal events and tomestone hunts and none of the items there are like, significant. (I believe everything in the tomestone hunts is gettable through other means, and seasonal glams go to the cash shop after a while.) Speaking of the cash shop you barely know it exists outside of the occasional ad for something on the login page, it’s completely separated from the experience of actually playing the game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

everything in the tomestone hunts is gettable through other means

IIRC the big-ticket 100-tome moghunt glam item is exclusive to that hunt, or they rotate very slowly? I'd have to double-check the history. Those are as close as it gets to missable, but they're also usually novelty earrings or whatever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So far the moghunt item hasn't repeated and it's always been an accessory. They have been available through other means previously for some of them though, rewards from contests mostly.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There was the Inferno Jacket that one time! I ground hard for that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I forgot the Inferno Jacket

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Several of the unique event accessories have shown up a 2nd time since they started these "please keep playing until the next patch" events in ShB.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

My /playtime has hit a number that I would never admit to anyone anywhere over the two years I've been playing and:

There's still five jobs I haven't unlocked (including BLU), and three of the ones I have unlocked are not at 90.
I haven't unlocked most of the level 50 dungeons.
I haven't done probably half or more of the sidequests.
I've never done an ultimate.
I've cleared one savage tier.
I've only been in Eureka just long enough to get the dyeable RDM artifact chest and hat and have never touched Bozja.
I haven't completed a single step of any pre-EW relics. (Unless you consider acquiring one base ARR one to be a "step")
I've barely touched the ARR and HW tribe quests.
I've only cleared the deep dungeons to the story end level (50 for PotD, 30 for the other two) and haven't used them for leveling or done any aetherpool grinding to even consider a solo attempt.
I haven't gone after any rare fish or been ocean fishing.
I haven't done PvP outside of a few frontlines roulettes and have never even tried CC or rival wings.
I only have about half of the TT cards.

I'm sure there's a bunch of things I'm forgetting, too. There's just so much stuff in this game that I can't even begin to fathom just how much time the "content drought/there's nothing to do" people have spent on it.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 4, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You should go ocean fishing at least once regardless of FSH level. It's just kind of a zany but zero stakes experience

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

You should go ocean fishing at least once regardless of FSH level. It's just kind of a zany but zero stakes experience

Ocean Fishing:
Entering the fish dimension for the first time is a wild experience.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I do love fishing in games, so that does sound fun! How would I start it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Assuming you've unlocked fishing already, there's a short intro quest in Limsa that unlocked it - All the Fish in the Sea. Once unlocked, just queue up with the NPC on the lower level docks, X3.0, Y12.7.

The expedition leaves every 2 hours, and you can queue up for 15 minutes before it starts.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Assuming you've unlocked fishing already, there's a short intro quest in Limsa that unlocked it - All the Fish in the Sea. Once unlocked, just queue up with the NPC on the lower level docks, X3.0, Y12.7.

The expedition leaves every 2 hours, and you can queue up for 15 minutes before it starts.

Awesome! I will unlock fishing later and do that! Is fishing kind of like another job where I have to have specific gear for it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It shares gear with any of the other gatherer class, minus its unique fishing rod. You'll be given at least a starter rod when you unlock it, and the rest isn't too important for a few levels.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Can you really call yourself a fisherman without a floppy hat and overalls glam?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mesadoram posted:

Awesome! I will unlock fishing later and do that! Is fishing kind of like another job where I have to have specific gear for it?

Yeah, you'll be given a basic rod and there's specific armor for it but when starting out you'll probably be in your level 1 racial gear. You'll get bits and bobs as you progress with fisher (or botanist/miner) job quests, or you can make you own/get friends to make some/buy some off the market board. It's easy enough to keep track of.

Doomykins posted:

Can you really call yourself a fisherman without a floppy hat and overalls glam?
I have a bright yellow raincoat.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Also don't forget to buy a lure or some bait from the merchant on the dock where the ocean fishing ship leaves from

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh, yeah, Capital-O Ocean Fishing uses its own three baits, there's been occasional confused sprouts in Novice Network asking why the regular bait described as "used for ocean fishing" isn't getting them any bites on the boat. I think a Versatile Lure will serve you well enough if you're low on gil, though.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone with the magical sprout icon can probably just shout "am sprout, gib bait" on the dock and a good samaritan will hand it over. A Versatile Lure also means you can mostly ignore the baits up through uh Stormblood I think

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GloomMouse posted:

Also don't forget to buy a lure or some bait from the merchant on the dock where the ocean fishing ship leaves from
There are also vendors on the boat in case you forget.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ocean Fishing:
Entering the fish dimension for the first time is a wild experience.
Gay water is the best!

Doomykins posted:

I use a shared glam for my gatherers since I may have to switch between them while out gathering stuff. Currently I use a USPS glam for them

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you for all the help! I look forward to fishing and card games :unsmith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm one of the weird contrarians that generally hates fishing minigames--the only one I've ever clicked with was Stardew Valley.

...but maybe I'll consider trying fishing. If only to see Fish Zone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fishing is probably one of the more involved systems the game has if you get engaged with it.

It's not generally my thing but there's a lot to it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

No joke FFXIV is one of the best fishing games I've ever played. Something about the quantity of fish and baits, light-but-present strategy for hooking fish, and huge MMO world to actually do the fishing in just really clicks for me.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Even if you don't like FSH you should get on the boat at least once

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Do a round of ocean fishing so you can get this lil dude

best minion I've found so far and it's easy to get as long as you kinda understand ocean fishing

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sometimes I'll see like a stream or waterfall, wonder what I'll catch, and just do a few casts. For no real reason other than to see the icons, names, and descriptions. It's just a cool chill tiny distraction from whatever I'm on the way to. Bait and lures are maybe 1/4 of my Chocobo saddlebag.

No real interest in the deeper mechanics, fishing dungeon, fishing cruise. I did try a few runs of Ocean Fishing and it was cool, just not my thing. It feels like I tried it three times and went from 50 to 90. It's really good fishing XP. Like other parts of the game you can engage with fishing just a tiny bit or get real into it, whichever is most fun for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shortly after I started playing in 2020 I remember taking I think like three or four actual days to catch a fish outside cape westwind for one of the level 50 fishing quests. I don't know how that one compares to other rare fish or if I was just extremely bad/unlucky but I never tried going for anything super rare after that (It was satisfying to actually catch it though because people were selling them on the marketboard for like 50k or something ridiculous and I didn't wanna cave in)