Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like how in Bayonetta Origins the voice acting is mostly just the narrator voice person doing funny voices, because it's like a storybook you're reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If botw's voice acting doesn't count as abysmal I can't imagine what would. The mitigating factor is just that there's not that much of it, making it pretty easy to ignore

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AfricanBootyShine posted:

That is my other issue with her direction as well, tbqh. The 'all fantasy is english' trope needs to die a horrible death.

If you're gonna give them British accents... Maybe try some different ones? I'd love to play a game with Glaswegian or Scouse accents.
hello friend can i interest you in hit video game, Xenoblade 2, the game with a full range of fantasy british accents: australian, welsh, vaguely scottish,

Senrab posted:

Hell, even Matt Mercer in the trailer sounds a bit off imo. His performance is fine, it's just too... clean? Am I crazy?
Matt Mercer's Ganondorf compared to JPN ganondorf is really night and day
Japanese English
(Japanese version also uses the same noticeably dated and somewhat formal dialect that he has in wind waker, which rules)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

A Link to the Past also features an obviously Christian church and Link prays like a Catholic to open the desert palace but I think that's the extent of it. I don't think mirroring Christianity was necessarily the intent rather it was probably incorporating real religious elements which in some instances were Christian and in others, other religions.

The Koopa clan are devout Buddhists based on the Sky Land ending screen of Super Mario Bros 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

If botw's voice acting doesn't count as abysmal I can't imagine what would. The mitigating factor is just that there's not that much of it, making it pretty easy to ignore

I loved the voice acting in Deus Ex and some people try to knock on it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Khanstant posted:

I loved the voice acting in Deus Ex and some people try to knock on it

What a shame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Mods No Masters posted:

idk what to tell you, play more games I guess

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This is giving me flashbacks to Mario Sunshine having voice acting, Bowser never spoke in anything but growls and grunts since.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Judge Tesla posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to Mario Sunshine having voice acting, Bowser never spoke in anything but growls and grunts since.

Any Bowser performance pales in comparison to Dennis Hopper, please understand

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The voice acting is nowhere near as bad as like House of the Dead or Resident Evil.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think the VA really lives up to the rest of the game, but it's nowhere near bad enough to like bring things down, it's just not very good

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The voice acting is nowhere near as bad as like House of the Dead or Resident Evil.

Nobody can suffer like G did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, a lot of games suffer from Magical Princess Voice, where female actors are instructed to use a specific type of voice to indicate that they're Magic, which in practice means "try to sound kind of posh and British, but not in the way that any actual British person has ever spoken." Zelda and Mipha both have it; a lot of the cast of Final Fantasy XIV had it before they swapped studios; Gloria from Bravely Default II has it.

Honestly, almost nobody can emote when they're doing an accent that doesn't actually is; I listened to an audiobook lately where the narrator was trying to combine male and female vocal patterns to indicate "the narrator's gender is deliberately ambiguous" and the result was just "this doesn't sound like any real person of any gender."

It would be nice if the trope got called out more in the hopes that directors would stop doing it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Any Bowser performance pales in comparison to Dennis Hopper, please understand
is he a joke to you

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Okay I'll give you those.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, a lot of games suffer from Magical Princess Voice, where female actors are instructed to use a specific type of voice to indicate that they're Magic, which in practice means "try to sound kind of posh and British, but not in the way that any actual British person has ever spoken." Zelda and Mipha both have it; a lot of the cast of Final Fantasy XIV had it before they swapped studios; Gloria from Bravely Default II has it.

Final Fantasy 14: ARR is...extremely rough, I would put it on the same level or barely above BOTW.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blaziken386 posted:

is he a joke to you

HE IS NO DENNIS HOPPER

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

This is accurate and it's pretty ubiquitous for any mystical female character in any sort of fantasy setiing. The first thing I thought of was those Stevie Nicks space witches from Space Mutiny and then the opening narration for the Lynch Dune movie.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The voice acting in the RE4 remake isn't horrible.....

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Winifred Madgers posted:

I remember trying to reach a ledge in the OOT Fire Temple that I just needed to jump across and grab onto. Missed the first attempt, figured it was too far, then spent 24 hours severely overthinking it before I tried jumping again.

I bet I know the exact ledge you're thinking of; same one had me stuck on fire temple for days as a kid. The room with the grates across a lava pool, step on it and an advancing wall of flame leaps up behind you?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

Matt Mercer's Ganondorf compared to JPN ganondorf is really night and day
Japanese English
(Japanese version also uses the same noticeably dated and somewhat formal dialect that he has in wind waker, which rules)

Yeah I guess Mercer is supposed to be some famous voice actor or something? He sounds like a high school drama teacher.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

He sounded a bit better in the cinematic trailer, but that first one he was in with the “rise, my servants” got an audible chuckle out of me for how cheesy and bad it sounded. Here’s hoping the rest is more like the last trailer

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The voice sounds fine but the mixing is bad. It's just way too clean. Sounds like someone in a recording both and not a person in a real physical environment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't recognize him as mercer in game, which is a good thing since often it's distracting to hear X character doing Y voice from another game. I'm not a fan of UK Zelda either but she was also charming and likeable in TotK. Zelda is a cool nerdy older sister to Link now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone met Sidon yet? If so: what's my favorite fish prince up to?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just wait till they send the pinkertons

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Raposa posted:

I bet I know the exact ledge you're thinking of; same one had me stuck on fire temple for days as a kid. The room with the grates across a lava pool, step on it and an advancing wall of flame leaps up behind you?

It's been so long since I've played it, but I don't think that's it. I think it's a larger room, has a smallish ledge on one wall with a door.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Reggie retired but that bitch still has the controls for the predator drones. Mama Mia!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

External Organs posted:

Reggie retired but that bitch still has the controls for the predator drones. Mama Mia!

huh, why does that plane look like lakitu and oh god that's a red spiny missile

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

huh, why does that plane look like lakitu and oh god that's a red spiny missile

Mods get a wellness check on this poor fuckin goomba

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Reggie: Lord forgive me but it's time to go back to tha old me

Some nerd (who made the mistake of leaking Zelda content) comes home from work, but the door is already unlocked. He finds Reggie sitting in the kitchen, screwing in the suppressor on his pistol.

"Putting down these dumb kids never gets any easier..."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i simply do not understand bragging about it in such a public place like twitter

either keep quiet or brag about it somewhere that no corporation will ever touch, like these forums

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Blaziken386 posted:

i simply do not understand bragging about it in such a public place like twitter

either keep quiet or brag about it somewhere that no corporation will ever touch, like these forums

It’s not like owning the game is a crime. Big fuckin deal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

It's because you have internalized corporate bullying, some people still don't give a gently caress and bless em. There is no sensible reason why people shouldn't be able to talk and share this sort of thing freely. It's never normal for posting a picture of you playing a fun game to be against the rules.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

im pretty sure that fire temple ledge is a bullshit jump that you shouldn’t be able to make amd the game gives you an artificial boost to clear it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

External Organs posted:

It's not that hard. He just drives over a few question marks until he gets a blue shell.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I played up to finishing the first dungeon and it seems like there's enough new stuff added that reusing the map isn't that big a deal, if you like BotW's gameplay loop this is more of the same. Then again i haven't played BotW since it came out so maybe if you are diehard fan who has replayed it over and over it will feel a lot more stale to you.

I can't stand all the menu stuff though. The number one reason i quit games is inventory management, so maybe it's just a personal peeve but having to open your menu to craft, or drop weapons when your 5 inventory slots fill up is infuriating and makes me want to just avoid those systems entirely. That's the same as BotW but it's even worse with the crafting.

Also Zelda's voice is awful. Someone mentioned FF14:ARR and it's the same problem of americans affecting a terrible british accent that sounds completely insincere. If they wanted to do the thing of fantasy character being british they should have hired the studio who does FF14/16. They have a pretty good track record.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

im pretty sure that fire temple ledge is a bullshit jump that you shouldn’t be able to make amd the game gives you an artificial boost to clear it

Auto jumping at cliff edge is the worst jumping implementation. I get it at the time for the N64, 1 stick controller, nobody wrote the book on this stuff yet, and adding a normal jump might've broke the game too much. But it sometimes means slipping off edges they don't wanna let you jump from, awkwardly jumping to disaster when just trying to get a closer look at something or peer over an edge. Remember some awkward moments at the corners of jumpable ledges.

Always feels better to have direct authority over when you jump or not.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aOB2mSALBiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

on leak day there were a bunch of "rom dumps" floating around that were just 16 gigs of tts ganondorf singing suavamente