Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Lemons Georg, who lives in a lemon tree,

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Angepain posted:

Lemons Georg, who lives in a lemon tree,

Will Sasso

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Sounds like some researchers haven't been to a lemon party before

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I’d like to see the raw data here

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’d like to see the raw data here

i guarantee that you don't
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099064

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wasn’t expecting that provenance tbqh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

(from here)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo that's a lot of effort for what is ultimately a big bunch of made up bullshit

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

holy poo poo that's a lot of effort for what is ultimately a big bunch of made up bullshit

listen buddy if you got a better way to get rid of african leaders in the way of empire, a lot of people would love to hear it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

"aaahhhh my lobes, ahh gently caress gently caress gently caress aaaaaahhh"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/arindube/status/1652759317437898752?s=20

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's wrong with this one?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland posted:

My line is going down :mad:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Count Roland posted:

Those crabs are making a break for it!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Count Roland posted:

The range of values on the Y axis goes from 88-107 because it's extremely compressed to make it look actually significant (it's not).

E: Also in no world were the top 10% of earners experiencing negative pay growth at any time that chart covers

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Plastik posted:

The range of values on the Y axis goes from 88-107 because it's extremely compressed to make it look actually significant (it's not).

E: Also in no world were the top 10% of earners experiencing negative pay growth at any time that chart covers

I have no idea about the data validity but I'd say a 15% change in real income is very significant.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

I have no idea about the data validity but I'd say a 15% change in real income is very significant.

Agreed. I also don't know if the data is valid but it seems presented in a way which is clear and concise.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Plastik posted:

I mean they have an 80 page academic paper with their methodology and data, what part of it do you disagree with particularly?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The data as presented is significant but could maybe spawn some debate on how good we can measure inflation (don't forget real means inflation adjusted) in the moment or on the marginal value of wages.

It's a good chart for including the tail because it's also showing the market is just correcting for the 2010s being a wage poo poo show with the specter of the recession hanging out for managers to tell employees "you're lucky you have a job." The lowest earners have been able to keep their premium past the great resignation between the immigration hangover and COVID being a reminder we fortunate ones need the poo poo shovellers more than the poo poo shovellers need the fortunate ones. On the balance 5% premium at the lowest earning rate is dollars and cents that are useful but probably not enough to even reach a modicum of financial stability.

Also it's a good capstone to show the people who like to say "wages were growing again after the great recession and for the first time since the 70s" and it's like sort of, but there's 50 years to make up and oh darn it's stopped again.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Plastik posted:

Also in no world were the top 10% of earners experiencing negative pay growth at any time that chart covers

Its real wages during a period of high inflation, so nominal wages were probably still going up.

And a lot of those top 10% dont get most of their income from wages, so wage income is less relevant anyways.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I mean they have an 80 page academic paper with their methodology and data, what part of it do you disagree with particularly?

the agenda

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

What agenda? The chart is basically saying that minimum wage rose but everything is still stagnant or worse. It's showing that wages aren't rising with inflation across the board, they're just rising enough to stave off riots

In case it's hard to understand, remember that it's tracking groups, not people. If Sally was in the bottom 10% one year but got a promotion, her wage didn't go up, she just is now tracked as part of a different group. The only way that bottom 10% number is going up vs others is if it's mandated by the govenment

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 20:28 on May 2, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sentient Data posted:

What agenda?
I assume they mean “poor people have it too good lately”.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

What agenda? The chart is basically saying that minimum wage rose but everything is still stagnant or worse. It's showing that wages aren't rising with inflation across the board, they're just rising enough to stave off riots

In case it's hard to understand, remember that it's tracking groups, not people. If Sally was in the bottom 10% one year but got a promotion, her wage didn't go up, she just is now tracked as part of a different group. The only way that bottom 10% number is going up vs others is if it's mandated by the govenment

Not necessarily if the supply is lower in the bottom 10% due to e.g. lower immigration from covid, people quitting lovely jobs, unionizing, etc. On the other hand you can see tech companies laying off large numbers of computer touchers so there isn't a shortage there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://observablehq.com/@mbostock/bank-failures

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine three banks at the edge of a cliff

The economy works the same way

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I assume they mean “poor people have it too good lately”.

I mean, you could also take it as “the lower class collectively telling their bosses to get hosed the past few years has been a wild success”

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Common data formats in Germany

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
pptx should be like 80%

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

pptx should be like 80%

That's weird how'd you know my project budget/hours tracking database extension?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
that seems like a perfectly cromulent graph to me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

Common data formats in Germany

Man, there's layers to this. What an absolutely savage piece of satire.

It's kinda amazing how many jokes you can put into a pretty simple image.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Aside from the A4, what are the other jokes?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HenryEx posted:

Now I feel like the one guy at a wine tasting event who isn't getting notes of oak

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Now I feel like the one guy at a wine tasting event who isn't getting notes of oak

If I still drank I'd bring a carven goblet to a wine tasting and describe everything as having notes of oak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't eaten enough trees to know what they taste like.