Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want to get SF6 but it sucks I'll have to choose between PC or Series X for it, that's one of the things I love the most about game pass, get it both places!

e: shameful sf6 snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Toaster Beef posted:

This is what struck me. I was wandering across town thinking, if they just shrunk the land mass down 50% and crammed everything in more tightly—narrower streets, etc.—the whole thing would inherently feel so much more alive and like a proper small town. As it stands you just have all these huge, wide-open areas with gently caress all in them.

Tbh I don't really agree with this. Yeah it sucks having to run from place to place, but it's always weird in other games when you are moving around and find six enemies guarding a empty beer bottle and a cigarette butt. The way its designed here, where enemies are generally guarding things that would have some actual value to them like checkpoints or resource rich buildings (gas stations, restaurants, government buildings) makes sense and adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like it's perfectly feasible to condense the space but still have enemies hanging out around specific things that actually matter. I dunno if you've played Redfall or not — and if you did, I dunno what your experience was — but for me it was so, so much walking around with virtually no interaction with any NPCs or enemies. Shrink the landmass, then take that same number of enemies and place them around consequential areas. To my mind, it creates something tighter and inherently more interesting. Everything feels so wide and spread out, when "small coastal town in Massachusetts" screams for anything but that. Compare how wide-open the streets and spaces are in Redfall to what Provincetown looks like:

I'm not saying it fixes everything, but it makes for a much less empty experience.

Edit: A friend of mine mentioned that Schreier reported Redfall was originally a live-service game before Microsoft bought Bethesda and poked its head into development to say "uh, no." The wider spaces make way more sense if you're assuming there are going to be far more players (and enemies) involved. As it stands, though?

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 3, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've played through several of the missions and I just didn't get the same impression. It's a pretty small harbor town, so a large population and tightly built buildings isn't what I would really expect. Freestanding homes built around the landscape of the area is closer to it. There aren't really any NPCs around because they are all in no-guns zones, and enemies are generally not more than a short distance away from any specific point.

It wouldn't really make sense to put spawns like something like The Division had, where every street corner and several buildings alongside are stuffed full of respawning goons, it would just be silly. It's kind of empty but that's also kind of the point, you're combing through the remains of a town that just got hit hard by a plague of vampires. It's practically the only horror element the game actually has, the feeling of isolation. But perhaps I'm just looking at it more as an inept horror game rather than a looter shooter, so the perspective is different.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 3, 2023

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I think the difference of opinion here underscores what's at the root of a lot of the frustration I've seen with the game: There are a bunch of ways this could have worked out just fine. Instead, it completely poo poo the bed.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

They probably built this open world town for a completely different type of gameplay loop and that’s why it feels so empty and sterile after they had to pivot.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’ve only seen a few videos of it but I think Redfall is supposed to be based on Gloucester.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Having played a few hours, the sense I get is that vampire hunting was conceived as the core of the game and designed in a certain way which would anchor it, and then they reversed course too late to reorient the design, either because they discovered the design didn’t work, or it did but stakeholders didn’t like it.

It really, really feels to me like stakes were supposed to be a limited resource at some point, and killing any vamp was supposed to be an accomplishment. That this isn’t the case and vampires are basically just the undead from Elden Ring is the thing that makes the game feel fundamentally confused. The setup and early story beats construct the sense of a fight against odds that the gameplay doesn’t expand upon.

Beyond that… it’s not that the map feels empty so much as it’s the first game in which Arkane’s level design has truly devolved, both in terms of caring detail and actual traversal. Aside from a boat dock building in the opening area there hasn’t been a great sense of verticality in any of the places I’ve visited, and I just ran through a full 2 story apartment building that had one (1) single-paragraph journal entry and $400 worth of random trinkets, and basically nothing else. It’s not Blackreef and it’s definitely not TALOS.

Honestly at this point I’m pretty worried that Arkane just isn’t allowed to make full on immersive sims anymore, and they’re struggling to compromise with more straightforward FPS frameworks. I liked DEATHLOOP a lot and found its gunplay extremely satisfying (the lack of progression is intentional — you’re given options to experiment with). I’m not there yet with REDFALL.

I’m curious — skeptical, but curious — whether MP changes that. But I don’t have friends who are currently playing.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 3, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Seltzer posted:

The sf6 demo is up on Xbox now. Sony had like a two week exclusivity window for the demo. It feels really crisp, the meter systems they've got in place are easy to grasp, and it's got a cool 3rd strike esque hip hop influenced soundtrack. I'm a big time tekken person but I'll probably get sf6 day 1 to hold me over.

i'll probably actually just get it on pc so i have more controller choice tbqh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Having played a few hours, the sense I get is that vampire hunting was conceived as the core of the game and designed in a certain way which would anchor it, and then they reversed course too late to reorient the design, either because they discovered the design didn’t work, or it did but stakeholders didn’t like it.

It really, really feels to me like stakes were supposed to be a limited resource at some point, and killing any vamp was supposed to be an accomplishment. That this isn’t the case and vampires are basically just the undead from Elden Ring is the thing that makes the game feel fundamentally confused. The setup and early story beats construct the sense of a fight against odds that the gameplay doesn’t expand upon.

Agreed, it threw me off the first time I realized I couldn't stake with a pistol because you had to have a "staked weapon" to do it, which seems completely arbitrary given that you have stakes on really good weapons and there is no cost to use them. I had assumed you just had one loose in your pocket for a coup de grace attack. But now you have *four* different methods of finishing them off (staked gun, stake thrower, flare gun, UV gun) so it's barely a gameplay factor.

I have a feeling that they realized that limited stakes doesn't work well with the combat system, because you either set the regen window really slow and the player just snatches what they need and runs, or you have it still be pretty fast and the player is constantly losing health if they run out of stakes. They would have had to leave stakes everywhere, thus negating the system, or sharply limit the number of vampires. Which I wouldn't have minded, vampires being everywhere instead of OP bosses is kind of silly, but still.

A cool system would be a pinning system like the ghosts in SH4 but that just wouldn't have worked with the game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. It's not even a stable 30 on Series X. If I didn't know any better I'd absolutely think it was running on an OG Xbox One.

And I keep running into what appears to be shader compilation stutter, which is unexpected for a console game

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
The "cut scenes" in Redfall are worse in effort and quality than some undergrad projects I've seen. This is a AAA game with 5 years of development and yet the presentation all around is amateur hour. After 3 hours with this game (2 too many), I'm deleting this forever from my gamepass library.

mA fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 3, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Redfall is a world where everything is glued down and made of metal apparently. Try shooting literally anything and you'll just get a standard bullet hole like you were playing Goldeneye 64. I shot a potted palm leaf on a porch and it didn't move an inch, just gave me a nice silver bullet hole on the leaf.

The only things I noticed that you could actually affect were the pumpkins and the things specifically made to explode, like gas cans.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Redfall is a world where everything is glued down and made of metal apparently. Try shooting literally anything and you'll just get a standard bullet hole like you were playing Goldeneye 64. I shot a potted palm leaf on a porch and it didn't move an inch, just gave me a nice silver bullet hole on the leaf.

The only things I noticed that you could actually affect were the pumpkins and the things specifically made to explode, like gas cans.

Yeah but what happens if you shoot the watermelons in the fruit stand?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Industria is on sale for 10 bucks. Play that instead if you want a solid fps experience.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Soul Glo posted:

i'll probably actually just get it on pc so i have more controller choice tbqh

FGs on PC are usually a miserable experience. Lots of cheaters and hackers. Tekken has an autoblock client for instance. Any device that works on xb1 works on series x also.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Industria is on sale for 10 bucks. Play that instead if you want a solid fps experience.

didn't realise this was on xbox. have it on pc and it runs like poo poo!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Really hoping we get a Jason Schreier tell-all about Redfall because it’s pretty clear something went majorly wrong for 5 years of development from an experienced studio to result in this game

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Disposable Scud posted:

Looks neat. Added it to my wishlist.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
It's so drat funny to me that thanks to recent missteps and especially Redfall Xbox is now relying on Bethesda of all people to deliver a quality product out of the gate. If that happens I think it'd literally be the first time Bethesda shipped a functioning game on day one, regardless of if its good or not.

just imagining phil spencer staring into todd howard's eyes and seeing his imminent doom

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's so drat funny to me that thanks to recent missteps and especially Redfall Xbox is now relying on Bethesda of all people to deliver a quality product out of the gate. If that happens I think it'd literally be the first time Bethesda shipped a functioning game on day one, regardless of if its good or not.

just imagining phil spencer staring into todd howard's eyes and seeing his imminent doom

Does high fi rush not count? I guess it's a zenimax studio

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I think what happened is Arkane wanted to make something different from their previous games but they didn't know exactly what. My guess is development was all over the place during the five years of development.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lammasu posted:

I think what happened is Arkane wanted to make something different from their previous games but they didn't know exactly what. My guess is development was all over the place during the five years of development.

My guess is that Bethesda asked or told them to make something different, maybe not at the outset. Like they had the idea for a vampire game with some features; Bethesda then asked for it to have particular features and that threw it into disarray. That's just me wild guessing though.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

External Organs posted:

Does high fi rush not count? I guess it's a zenimax studio

yea zenimax studio and not AAA. good & polished game tho.

the arkane thing is heartbreaking bc they typically have some of the coolest art design and overall **aesthetic** of most big studio games. i didn't love Deathloop as a game (gun play was fine, AI was garbage, and the story was very ehhh) but goddamn was the art direction for that spectacular and the Dishonored games are so loving unique and interesting. Ugh, hope microsoft lets them go build some cool immersive stuff after this bc between this and Deathloop i'd say heavy FPS type games are not their strong suite

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, there's a lot about the "looter shooter" part of Redfall that feels really tacked-on. The first map is also much more traditionally Arkane than the second, like a Dishonored level blown up to cover a few square in-game kilometers.

What I wonder is if it might not have started production as a game built around Devinder the paranormal investigator, who ends up trapped on an island dominated by vampires, but finds a way where he can use stealth, trickery, and his detective skills to fight back against the vampires' leadership.

Then somebody with pull at the company decided it needed to be a live-service co-op game like Borderlands, so it turned into all this. There are some neat choices in Redfall if you get far enough into it (the primary antagonist in the first stretch of the game is basically Vampire Peter Thiel), but there's a lot that feels like it was added under protest: the high number of human enemies, the weapon variety, most of the side missions, etc.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Seltzer posted:

FGs on PC are usually a miserable experience. Lots of cheaters and hackers. Tekken has an autoblock client for instance. Any device that works on xb1 works on series x also.

my dual sense dont

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Another win for xbox

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Then somebody with pull at the company decided it needed to be a live-service co-op game like Borderlands, so it turned into all this. There are some neat choices in Redfall if you get far enough into it (the primary antagonist in the first stretch of the game is basically Vampire Peter Thiel), but there's a lot that feels like it was added under protest: the high number of human enemies, the weapon variety, most of the side missions, etc.

Yeah the side missions in particularly are just wildly underdeveloped and the first time you loot one of those static weapon spawns and see 3 of the exact same gun in different rarities it becomes pretty clear this either just didn't get enough time or changed courses entirely at some point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This whole thing is exactly what I was afraid of when they first announced that the studio known for solid single player campaigns was being tasked with making the opposite of that

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Basic Chunnel posted:

and then they reversed course too late to reorient the design, either because they discovered the design didn’t work, or it did but stakeholders didn’t like it.

Nice one.

If nothing else, my brief time in Redfall reminded me a bit of The Secret World and made me want to go back to it for the atmosphere and nostalgia but I remembered bouncing off The Secret World Legends multiple times.

So imagine my surprise when I learned that you can still play the original Secret World, provided you either have an old account with a key or can find an unused key somewhere. Anyway, it's downloading now and I'm looking forward to jumping back in.

Link for anyone interested: https://register.thesecretworld.com/account

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah the game is extremely The Secret World in feeling. RIP TSW, you had great design in everything other than combat, even if I put your Morse code puzzles into a decoding website.

I take back what I said about the game being more atmospheric when it's lonely, I did a vampire nest and went in locked and loaded, ready to face down a horde of vampires and their servants. The design of the nest was kind of cool but I saw a total of three vampires and the two I fought I triggered unnecessarily just to see what would happen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the game is extremely The Secret World in feeling. RIP TSW, you had great design in everything other than combat, even if I put your Morse code puzzles into a decoding website.

I take back what I said about the game being more atmospheric when it's lonely, I did a vampire nest and went in locked and loaded, ready to face down a horde of vampires and their servants. The design of the nest was kind of cool but I saw a total of three vampires and the two I fought I triggered unnecessarily just to see what would happen.

It might just be coincidence, but I've done 3 nests and each one increased the amount of vampires in it. I was disapointed the nests are basically the same, tho.

Also good loving luck with the "grab loot" after destroying the heart portion. I sprinted to the exit and only made it out once. There's no way you could stop even for a few seconds to search for loot.

I like the game more than most and am about to get to the 2nd map, I think, but every system in the game from the nests to the side missions all seem like framework testing for actual content that was never made. One side quest per safe house? Why even bother.

I came across one rando side quest because I saw a "!" on the map. Only one, and I'm about halfway through the game. Why just one random side quest?

This game absolutely was supposed to be something else.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

gamepass should have some good games added to it imo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Silksong will redeem gamepass

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cocoon will be good, on gamepass

and lies of p. believe

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

spaceblancmange posted:

I find it hard to believe you've played every good game currently on Game Pass.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i've played every good game on gamepass twice

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The 7th Guest posted:

Cocoon will be good, on gamepass

and lies of p. believe

Is that a game based on the classic 80s film 'Cocoon' starring Wilford Brimley?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s what I’m picturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

spaceblancmange posted:

Railway Empire 2 is coming out later this month