Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If anyone's interested, here's tonight's experimental results.
https://soundcloud.com/sperimentaldoots/sum-more-doots
I was messing around with feedback patching, with a eudemonia filter in the feedback path, and Interstellar Radio on a parallel loop, into a mixer, then out through a vca. It's the voice that changes pitch all over the place, and sounds noisy.
The kick is a befaco kickall fed through the fold, then drive circuits on a captain big O oscillator. Both the folder and overdrive are getting a little extra kick of cv on a randomly triggered envelope (not actually random, I fed the accent trigger from grids through a Bernoulli gate to an envelope generator to use as a general "accent" envelope)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
White Rabbit delivered but not racked.

I am taking a hard break from almost all non-work internet use for 3 months to see what happens.

I'm not taking a hard break from buying synths, so I'll see you fine folks in August with a stack of new gear :laugh:

My soundcloud will continue to fill up with silly things, since that's just a one way export from DAW. Hell, it might fill up a lot faster, we'll see where my free time goes.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I know there’s an audio interface thread, but :fart:

I finally retired my old MOTU 828mk2 with the two bad mic preamps and intermittent FireWire connection and got a MOTU M6. I swear to god I get better stereo separation out of the M6 and I don’t understand why. This isn’t just my own music mixes, but playing back professional recordings in Bandcamp, iTunes/Music, YouTube and poo poo.

I had the 828 outputs going into a DBX DB-48 patch bay and then my monitor speakers, but each out was side-by-side, and all the normaling is vertical. I now go straight from the M6 to the monitors.

Is this just me tricking myself? Or could there be something real here?

it’s possible there’s something real, m6 uses top shelf dac (ess sabre32, same as apogee symphony iirc), 828 mk2 has not as good dac (but not bad, just regular)

otoh, there are issues with some interfaces re: stereo separation and volume, like you have to turn it up before it’s actually an accurate signal, that’s why higher end involves full output from an audio interface into a stepped volume monitor control

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pillow Face posted:

it’s possible there’s something real, m6 uses top shelf dac (ess sabre32, same as apogee symphony iirc), 828 mk2 has not as good dac (but not bad, just regular)

otoh, there are issues with some interfaces re: stereo separation and volume, like you have to turn it up before it’s actually an accurate signal, that’s why higher end involves full output from an audio interface into a stepped volume monitor control

M6 has a dedicated Monitor knob whereas 828 I just had the Main Out set to -18db going into my monitors set at unity (max volume)

My monitors are Event TR8 speakers that I don’t think are made anymore. The volume is a continuous dial on each speaker instead of stepped, so the only way to make sure they’re set to the same volume is to have them both at max. :shepface:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I traded in a few modules I never used anymore to swipe a used Eloquencer sequencer from Patchwerks, and although it has some peculiarities I'm getting along really well with it. I just wish it had the option to do proper CV output instead of just v/oct, but that's a minor quibble that an attenuator and an offset can mostly deal with. :dance:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
I think at least one other goon has bought some stuff from lofi future. I'm having a bit of a frustrating time, ordered some stuff at the start of the year, was in no rush but for the last few months been told it'd be shipped next week. Again, don't mind a delay but find it frustrating to be told stuff would be shipped next week, waiting a month and having to ask again. This is maybe the third time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Been fixing up this MS-20 emulator I got, it's been lots of fun. Had some kind of SNAFU getting my VST license from Korg initially but they then came through for me nicely and boy, this VST is a powerhouse. The tactile controls are really fun too. But what really tickled me was there's a VST effect that comes with the MS-20 VSTI. It is extraordinary as an effect.

So the moral of the story kids is don't go on ebay drunk, but it's an absolutely awesome VST and the original synth must have been a serious beast.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Distortion pedal chat - Obviously this is a pretty subjective thing, but any recommendations?

I've looked at the Plasma pedal, Proco Rat, all the EQD stuff, Electro Harmonix, Boss,, Old Blood Noise...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

Distortion pedal chat - Obviously this is a pretty subjective thing, but any recommendations?

I've looked at the Plasma pedal, Proco Rat, all the EQD stuff, Electro Harmonix, Boss,, Old Blood Noise...

I've always felt EQD stuff sounded great with synths, and the Rat is surprisingly versatile in that respect too. Probably more comes down to what sort of sound you're looking for. I know lots of synth people who swear by Gamechanger stuff so you probably wouldn't go wrong with the Plasma either.

I've had some cheaper off-brand pedals that can't handle the input level of synths very well but it's pretty rare and even then I usually got interesting sounds, just... not the ones I expected.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Monkey is the sweetest sounding overdrive pedal I ever used.. at least in its price bracket. It's not super over the top so everything comes through it really smooth and warm.

It's insanely cheap too since no one cares about it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a mysterious cloak posted:

TC Electronic mojo mojo works great with synths for gentle overdrive without going full destruction distortion. It's super cheap too

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2023

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

Bad Monkey is the sweetest sounding overdrive pedal I ever used.. at least in its price bracket. It's not super over the top so everything comes through it really smooth and warm.

It's insanely cheap too since no one cares about it.

uhh the Bad Monkey actually recently spiked in price because the JHS guy did an A/B video with it and a KLON Centaur and they're so close sonically that it led to a bunch of people rushing to buy them. It's settled down a little but they're still going for $100+ on Reverb, which is double what they were retail. Still cheap-ish as pedals go, I suppose

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

uhh the Bad Monkey actually recently spiked in price because the JHS guy did an A/B video with it and a KLON Centaur and they're so close sonically that it led to a bunch of people rushing to buy them. It's settled down a little but they're still going for $100+ on Reverb, which is double what they were retail. Still cheap-ish as pedals go, I suppose

Dang, bad timing then. I've been suggesting the pedal to friends for years and it was always under $50. I got mine for like $30.

I assume this new rush is just a bubble and will die down pretty quick though.. right? :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

Dang, bad timing then. I've been suggesting the pedal to friends for years and it was always under $50. I got mine for like $30.

I assume this new rush is just a bubble and will die down pretty quick though.. right? :v:

I doubt they'll ever be $50 again unfortunately, but there's a slew of them on Reverb that have "recent price drops" of $50-100 so who knows. The day after the video dropped people were listing theirs for $250-300, though idk how many actually sold in that range.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

according to the transaction history, v many were sold between $150 and $200 starting march 14, and now they’re selling for $60 again lol

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Bad Monkey going for $100+ used on Reverb right now, drat. For $50 I would've just bought it, but eh... not for double that used.

Definitely putting it on the wishlist along with the mojomojo, both sound really good!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lol Behringer is making their own version of Maths.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
and im gonna buy it

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I think it looks better than Maths but I'll probably get the real deal when it's time to add one to my rack. I'm all for gear to be cheaper but I'd rather not buy a knockoff of something that's currently in production. Plus I still hold a grudge against Behringer for making the worst guitar amp I had the pleasure of owning even if it was over 20 years ago by now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Asking for a friend because I don't use Logic and could honestly stand to bone up on standard MIDI protocol anyway:

They run a hardware setup where an Electribe sampler is the master device sending MIDI note/trigger/modulation data out to some other hardware synths. They want to record everything in Logic, locked to the DAW's session tempo, and use the DAW's clock to start/stop the Electribe, but still have the other hardware receive all other data from the Electribe. As it stands right now, when Logic is the master clock it also locks out the Electribe from triggering note data on any of the other hardware. In their words they want the Electribe to receive MIDI clock but "still be the master MIDI sequencer." I'm not sure this is technically possible the way it's worded, but I feel like there's got to be some workaround whereby the Electribe can receive clock data and still trigger other hardware as it normally would.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

and im gonna buy it

I picked up one of these used for 2/3 the price of the lowest priced used rampage on reverb.

If you or someone you know is into surface mount diy, I'd highly suggest building one. It's a rampage plus

Sin Phi posted:

Enhancements on the Rampage include the CV attenuverters, the four quadrant multiplier, pull down resistor on logic outputs and SMD layout for easy DIY construction. The AD633 can be optionally left off and jumpers used so that the 4QX output becomes an inverted sum of the left and right signals through the balance potentiometer.

Oh, and distortion pedals. I have an amazon basics drive. It's pretty clean sounding and affordable. I also have a joyo pocket metal. It is also affordable, but the opposite of clean. Real loud and screamy. Lots of high end, and high mids. If you send drums through it, you'll want a noise gate after it on all but the lowest settings. It will make anything sound mean, abrasive, and aggressive. I love it.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2023

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I think it might come down to how the midi thru functions with the electribe.

I know with my nord drum and mega fm if I have midi thru enabled I can't pass midi data other than the master clock to the next device from the drum or mega fm, but can send channel data from the head of the pack.

You could get something like the blokas midi hub or the retrokits rk006 and just use both inputs, then send the channel data to whatever outs however needed.

I ordered an rk006, but haven't received it yet. Can't vouch for it, but a lot of people seem to love it.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 4, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I think you're right, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking maybe there's a pane in Logic's MIDI preferences like the ports section in Live where you can selectively enable Track/Sync data on any connected devices. But I think you're right; fundamentally the conflict is in how the Electribe (and indeed a lot of MIDI devices) is designed to behave when receiving MIDI clock; it assumes the clock is also sending note data down the chain so it doesn't bother in order to avoid jamming stuff up with conflicting data.

The RK006 and some creative physical routing sounds like the ticket, yeah, but I think my friend is bummed because it's a pricey solution.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I don't think someone is very happy about Behringers new module.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/behringer-baths

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ripping on a clone of maths for being derivative is... well it's fuckin something, thats for sure

Spiggy posted:

I think it looks better than Maths but I'll probably get the real deal when it's time to add one to my rack. I'm all for gear to be cheaper but I'd rather not buy a knockoff of something that's currently in production. Plus I still hold a grudge against Behringer for making the worst guitar amp I had the pleasure of owning even if it was over 20 years ago by now.

I'm pretty sure the entire time Make Noise has been operating the circuit has been available from either Tcherepnin himself or an official licensee, positive if Ken Stone / CGS counts. for whatever thats worth

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Props to Uli though for making a worse front panel than any of the stock versions. thats a feat!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Props to Uli though for making a worse front panel than any of the stock versions. thats a feat!

as a long time maths owner I would not have thought it was possible, but I'm glad(?) to be proven wrong

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Maths is the most gorgeous module from my racks, I have no idea what you are all complaining about :colbert:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s so funny to me that JHS made a video to demonstrate that you don’t need to spend absurd amounts of money on pedals and that even forgotten cheap ones can sound very good. and a lot of people responded by buying up the entire second hand market of the one pedal he demonstrated and someone ended up listing one for $400

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Oh, and distortion pedals. I have an amazon basics drive. It's pretty clean sounding and affordable. I also have a joyo pocket metal. It is also affordable, but the opposite of clean. Real loud and screamy. Lots of high end, and high mids. If you send drums through it, you'll want a noise gate after it on all but the lowest settings. It will make anything sound mean, abrasive, and aggressive. I love it.

Seconded, pocket metal is amazing if you want something harsh and aggressive.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Abacus looks like butt and needs a pair of goatse hands on either side of the ugly orange pictograph in the middle.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Now I want a Goatman Stereo Expander where you move hand shaped sliders to control the panning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

only authentic with ring mod

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Now I want a Goatman Stereo Expander where you move hand shaped sliders to control the panning.

My Lovely Horse posted:

only authentic with ring mod

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

watho posted:

it’s so funny to me that JHS made a video to demonstrate that you don’t need to spend absurd amounts of money on pedals and that even forgotten cheap ones can sound very good. and a lot of people responded by buying up the entire second hand market of the one pedal he demonstrated and someone ended up listing one for $400

Hainbach showing off cool poo poo with some weird piece of obsolete tech dot t x t

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Maths is the most gorgeous module from my racks, I have no idea what you are all complaining about :colbert:

I feel like Make Noise stuff in general suddenly made much more sense to me when I got the Strega and realized their layouts are sort of intentionally designed to be confusing/opaque in some places, and that you should just lean into that and experiment instead of trying to figure out what some of the various functions on their modules are actually doing on paper, so to speak

that said, some of their panels and layouts continue to infuriate/confuse me

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MockingQuantum posted:

you should just lean into that and experiment instead of trying to figure out what some of the various functions on their modules are actually doing on paper, so to speak
It's like they want you to....make noise.....

(couldn't resist)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

First you hit the activator, then pour the sound into the time circuit through the tones funnel. Filter to taste.
Touch the brass.
What's confusing about that?
Meanwhile, in Warsaw

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 4, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel like Make Noise stuff in general suddenly made much more sense to me when I got the Strega and realized their layouts are sort of intentionally designed to be confusing/opaque in some places, and that you should just lean into that and experiment instead of trying to figure out what some of the various functions on their modules are actually doing on paper, so to speak

that said, some of their panels and layouts continue to infuriate/confuse me

I personally don't think their modules are intentionally hermetic (besides the strega which definitely is to reward experimenting).

The main complaints about MN are about the font choice and button combos. It was difficult for me to learn their modules but it wasn't because of the fonts or panel layouts (which are very easy to navigate for me now that they are familiar), it was more because I wasn't familiar with anything outside of classical subtractive synthesis. So I had to learn everything from scratch again but the rewards are immense, and the learning never ends because their modules don't force you into a specific direction (maths is for envelopes, moddemix is for VCA, erbeverb is for reverb, mimeophon is for delay, etc).

I understand this can be off putting for some people, but it's also why many will tell you Serge or Buchla modules are so good. Not because they are easy to understand, but because they provide you so many more options to patch things very differently from the standard, expected way.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I personally don't think their modules are intentionally hermetic (besides the strega which definitely is to reward experimenting).

The main complaints about MN are about the font choice and button combos. It was difficult for me to learn their modules but it wasn't because of the fonts or panel layouts (which are very easy to navigate for me now that they are familiar), it was more because I wasn't familiar with anything outside of classical subtractive synthesis. So I had to learn everything from scratch again but the rewards are immense, and the learning never ends because their modules don't force you into a specific direction (maths is for envelopes, moddemix is for VCA, erbeverb is for reverb, mimeophon is for delay, etc).

I understand this can be off putting for some people, but it's also why many will tell you Serge or Buchla modules are so good. Not because they are easy to understand, but because they provide you so many more options to patch things very differently from the standard, expected way.

I'm sure that's a big part of it too, that east coast/subtractive style synthesis just has a much more prescribed and consistent approach, so by its nature a lot of the MN stuff that's inspired/ripped off from Buchla designs inherently offer less built-in guidance in how to use them, so to speak

so I guess it's not so much that the modules are intentionally arcane as I just don't totally understand some of their functions... though tbh that's mostly unique to Maths, my other make noise stuff has some controls or connections that I couldn't accurately explain what they do but I sort of intuit how they modify the sound. Maths is the only one where I just don't really get what it's doing at times and sometimes end up making it do things I didn't intend, which is fun in its own way.

All bets are off with the Strega, though that one too, I sort of understand how to get it to produce certain sorts of sounds while not really understanding at all how it's doing it or how I know it will do it