Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

some of the coverage says whaitiri intends to sit with tpm until the election, but under the waka jumping leg her seat becomes vacant by her resigning from labour. did she not realise that was the case???

lol it looks like the answer is "yes"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131930730/defecting-labour-mp-meka-whaitiri-may-have-just-ousted-herself-from-parliament

quote:

But given how Whaitiri has resigned from the party, it’s possible the law means her electorate seat has automatically been vacated – an issue Te Pāti Māori president John Tamihere has suggested is being worked through with Parliament’s Speaker, Adrian Rurawhe.

“It’s inappropriate to give you any landing space until that conversation has concluded. There are legal issues,” Tamihere said, after Whaitiri’s announcement at the Waipatu marae in Hastings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

wait surely she was aware of this right, her govt passed that legislation and then actively refused to repeal it

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Her jumping p much guarantees TPM as the deciding party based on polling then?

Looking increasingly likely that Winnie will be back, so we'll get a National/ACT/NZF govt.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

bike tory posted:

Looking increasingly likely that Winnie will be back, so we'll get a National/ACT/NZF govt.

I'm a bit puzzled that the media aren't covering that real possibility in light of the past few polls. I mean the less coverage he gets the better in my mind but still.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i imagine she'd only be concerned about waka jumping if she thought labour had an alternative candidate that would outperform her in that electorate.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i doubt seymour and winston could work together

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I'm a bit puzzled that the media aren't covering that real possibility in light of the past few polls. I mean the less coverage he gets the better in my mind but still.

The media HATE Peters, he is also savvy enough to manipulate the narrative if they give him a chance. I imagine he would leverage the first serious story about his comeback.

I view National having to go into a coalition government with him as a conciliation prize, his condition would probably be that Seymour gets nothing.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
There is too much animosity on both sides for a Nat/NZF coalition to work. It hasn't happened since the 90s and any such govt would be on suicide watch from day one.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmachina posted:

There is too much animosity on both sides for a Nat/NZF coalition to work. It hasn't happened since the 90s and any such govt would be on suicide watch from day one.

As I said, consolation prize.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

i doubt seymour and winston could work together

I'm not saying it'd be a functional government but Winston can and will "work" with anyone, he cares way more about the baubles of power than his grumpy old man schtick or his dislike of sniveling neoliberal

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

wait surely she was aware of this right, her govt passed that legislation and then actively refused to repeal it

gently caress

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's going to be a long 5 months.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Actually the worst case scenario is for Winnie to cark it early in the term leaving whatever bootscrapings he brings with him access to the levers of power.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i think seymour would be willing to sit on the crossbenches if the alternative option was a coalition with nzf

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

i think seymour would be willing to sit on the crossbenches if the alternative option was a coalition with nzf

you're high on the hopium sir

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Personally I hope David Seymour gets called back to his home planet before the election

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/489210/speaker-rules-meka-whaitiri-not-affected-by-waka-jumping-law

Are communications to/from the speaker of the house subject to OIA? Or can they be rejected under parliamentary privilege?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Personally I hope David Seymour gets called back to his home planet before the election

Does Rimmer, as a computer-generated hologram of a dead person, even have a home planet?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/489210/speaker-rules-meka-whaitiri-not-affected-by-waka-jumping-law

Are communications to/from the speaker of the house subject to OIA? Or can they be rejected under parliamentary privilege?

I don't think they are, parliamentary service.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

is parliament part of the executive

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Parliamentary Service and Office of the Clerk aren't subject to the OIA, I don't think the Speaker's Office is either.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lmao so the Waka jumping legislation can be defeated simply by not explicitly notifying the speaker you have joined another party, and simply saying you withdraw your proxy vote from your current party and want to sit with the other party.

Amazing bit of legislation, just stunning stuff.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the party can trigger it if they want to (which labour doesn't). i don't even get why the self-jump provisions exist, an mp could just resign from parliament.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

She very dimly sent an email to the speaker outlining what she was doing (which should trigger the waka jump) and now they're all having to pretend that the speaker didn't see it and she withdrew it and blah blah blah technically an email is not a letter. It's very dumb.

Source me, direct from people who work in the Parliamentary service who are all finding it highly amusing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 3, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

quote:

Labour deputy leader Kelvin Davis has brushed off the shock departure of Meka Whaitiri, calling it "small-fry" in comparison to losing Jacinda Ardern.

"We have a saying in Māori," he told Morning Report today, less than 24 hours after the Ikaroa-Rāwhiti MP's bombshell.

"It's basically, 'thank you, next'. We're just moving on."

Labour caucus seething

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Strong corncob energy

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is it like, commonly known around chch who those sick-gently caress serial rapists that have name suppression are?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not afaik. Haven't heard anyone talking about it. Maybe in certain circles?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Good friend's car got stolen yesterday to use in a ram raid. Pro-tip: don't buy an Aqua that has a key instead of a fob.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
random question, is there any authority I can complain to about my neighbour's mosquito breeding program? He's got a bunch of old cars and containers full of water sitting all over his property. I don't give a poo poo about that, but the plague of little biting shits is getting out of hand. I've asked if I can come over and deal to them but the old boomer won't let me on his property and claims they're coming from ponds about 1km away. I'd sneak over and do it but he doesn't work, just sits inside.

They're the little stripey fucks that will happily bite through clothes and I hate them so much

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

carrionman posted:

random question, is there any authority I can complain to about my neighbour's mosquito breeding program? He's got a bunch of old cars and containers full of water sitting all over his property. I don't give a poo poo about that, but the plague of little biting shits is getting out of hand. I've asked if I can come over and deal to them but the old boomer won't let me on his property and claims they're coming from ponds about 1km away. I'd sneak over and do it but he doesn't work, just sits inside.

They're the little stripey fucks that will happily bite through clothes and I hate them so much

Sounds like a council issue, if it isn't then they can probably tell you who to contact.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Green MP Elizabeth Kerekere resigns from party

quote:

Kerekere has notified the Green Party Caucus of her intention to sit as an independent MP until the General Election, when she will retire, Shaw and Davidson said in a statement tonight.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

While Kerekere and the Greens at least tried to do the right thing by voting for repeal after they capitulated to Winston by passing it in the first place, the continued belief of MPs and parties that obeying the waka-jumping law is optional if you all just don't feel like it really sticks in my craw. At the very least be honest and scrap the provisions where MPs automatically kick themselves out and admit it was all about party whips being able to cow their MPs into submission, not the pretense of maintaining 'proportionality'.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the provision is intended to be triggered only if the ex-party wants it to be

55CNotice from parliamentary leader of political party
A written notice under section 55A(3)(b) must—
(a) be signed by the parliamentary leader of the political party for which the member of Parliament who is the subject of the notice was elected; and
(b) be addressed to the Speaker; and
(c) be accompanied by a statement that complies with section 55D.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

exmarx posted:

the provision is intended to be triggered only if the ex-party wants it to be

55CNotice from parliamentary leader of political party
A written notice under section 55A(3)(b) must—
(a) be signed by the parliamentary leader of the political party for which the member of Parliament who is the subject of the notice was elected; and
(b) be addressed to the Speaker; and
(c) be accompanied by a statement that complies with section 55D.

Yeah, I'm talking about the self-exclusion ones, which are clearly intended to apply in a situation where someone has effectively resigned from a party, has told the speaker their former party can't cast their vote, has caused parliamentary question allocations to their former party be recalculated, etc.

55B A written notice [by the MP in question] under section 55A(3)(a) must—
(a)be signed by the member of Parliament by whom it is given; and
(b)be addressed to the Speaker; and
(c)notify the Speaker that the member of Parliament—
(i)has resigned from the parliamentary membership of the political party for which the member of Parliament was elected; or
(ii)wishes to be recognised for parliamentary purposes as either an independent member of Parliament or a member of another political party.

Both Whaitiri and Kereker clearly wish to be recognised for parliamentary purposes as part of TPM or independent (and have/will inform the speaker as much), but it feels we're just ignoring that by agreement.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Welp.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i agree the speaker's interpretation of the whaitiri situation seems weird as hell given her public comments, and it's hard to see why an mp would ever use the self-exit provision when they could just... resign as an mp

e: like basically the law is drafted so loosely that an mp can get around it by writing a letter that includes s 55B(c)(ii) but not 55B(c)(i)

e2: actually i wrongly assumed 55B(c)(i)/(ii) is an "and" – it's an "or"! i don't see how whaitiri is still around lol

exmarx fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 5, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmarx posted:

i agree the speaker's interpretation of the whaitiri situation seems weird as hell given her public comments, and it's hard to see why an mp would ever use the self-exit provision when they could just... resign as an mp

e: like basically the law is drafted so loosely that an mp can get around it by writing a letter that includes s 55B(c)(ii) but not 55B(c)(i)

e2: actually i wrongly assumed 55B(c)(i)/(ii) is an "and" – it's an "or"! i don't see how whaitiri is still around lol

Commentators suggest she will win the seat, polling suggests that Labour would need TPM in coalition and currently her vote isn't needed. Also I suspect that they are going to be slammed for failing Maori so going after her is just shedding more votes.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
labour's reasons for not triggering s 55C have nothing to do with whether the speaker is correctly interpreting s 55B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmarx posted:

labour's reasons for not triggering s 55C have nothing to do with whether the speaker is correctly interpreting s 55B

Sorry, I thought your comment about why she was still around was in reference to 55C because you quoted it earlier.