Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Babe Magnet posted:

go watch all of mob psycho right now goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Babe Magnet posted:

go watch all of mob psycho right now goddamn

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Child Emperor, Metal Bat, Watchdog Man, and Pig God are all doing their best

Also Bang, Blast, King, Zombieman, Atomic Samurai, Tanktop Master, and of course our boy Genos. Most of the S-class members are good people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still think every so often of Silverfang noting admiringly,"What a remarkable undershirt!" re: Tanktop Master :allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws out: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/4856001361192645271

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
A++ tatsumaki face

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Didnt know sattou would be a guest artist

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mob Psycho is one of very few things I would recommend to anyone with no reservations, it's sensational.
Manga (which despite crude art has fantastic framing) and anime, which is gorgeous by any metric, both fully worth it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mob Psycho is one of very few things I would recommend to anyone with no reservations, it's sensational.
Manga (which despite crude art has fantastic framing) and anime, which is gorgeous by any metric, both fully worth it.

I recommend the manga a lot because it’s a masterclass in how paneling and layout can be way more important than technically impressive art

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is ridiculously good. Gorgeous work.
Much of the best parts of this OPM are just 1:1 framing and composition from the webcomic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Translation out: https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/KTDO2Ts/1/1/

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Love the angle of AI-generated footage, lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lmao angry tsumaki

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It can't be AI-generated, the hands look perfectly normal. You're gonna have to redraw this chatper, Murata!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jimbot posted:

It can't be AI-generated, the hands look perfectly normal. You're gonna have to redraw this chatper, Murata!

He couldn't force himself to gently caress it up

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I almost wish he would. I love seeing great artists draw bad on purpose :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The whole "the S class heroes and also the whole Hero Association is unreliable and untrustworthy" bit would land harder if we didn't just have a story arc where they successfully defended the Earth from a very visible and credible threat.

Feels like it would fit more naturally as a follow up to some sort of fiasco where they hosed up what should have been an easy job.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well I dunno a lot of this would probably not be as bad if the culture that made the hero association wasn't also the one that made Garou go off track. Also a lot the heroes are loving bonkers and do crazy poo poo that would get you arrested irl. Plenty of reason to not quite trust them.

Also all the crazy shady poo poo behind the scenes ? Like they did a good enough job there, but there's a jillion things they could have done better they seem either unwilling or unable to really address besides just throwing more bodies at monsters.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The whole "the S class heroes and also the whole Hero Association is unreliable and untrustworthy" bit would land harder if we didn't just have a story arc where they successfully defended the Earth from a very visible and credible threat.

Feels like it would fit more naturally as a follow up to some sort of fiasco where they hosed up what should have been an easy job.

I don’t think I agree. In the monster association arc the most responsible member was child emperor, a 10 year old. Lots of individually good people in the hero association but they cannot work together at all. Plus they are selling monsters to organizations that will presumably re-release into society some time? To say nothing of how they only help the 1%.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Schwarzwald posted:

Literally every thing that Saitama has saved people from has started by showing how ill-equipped the hero association is to deal with threats generally, and how hard it is to get S class heroes specifically to do anything. They're also correct to say that the association's power has been centralized to protect the wealthy, which I'm pretty sure has been explicitly stated by the board. The heroes themselves do save people, but it's in spite of the association rather than because of them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

How much does the public even know about the monster association? It might just be "monster hunter clowns on the association -> another loving city is obliterated because of fails -> they cant even defend their own fortress of solitude for a week" in the mind of most

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Alacron posted:

I almost wish he would. I love seeing great artists draw bad on purpose :allears:

It's very easy to do, just draw with your other hand :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The loving billboards and commercials :lol:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

For all of the manga's changes, I still think this part of it works. They created a monster that they explicitly could not stop in Garou, and it's unclear whether they could have actually won against the cadres if not for Garou and Saitama taking on a bunch of them by themselves.

Blast showing up would probably be enough to turn this in the Hero Association's favor, but him showing up is as much a surprise to them as it was to us so I don't think that counts. For the purposes of this argument, the Hero Association both in the manga and the webcomic still weren't prepared to take out the Monster Association going by the attack plan that they devised, even though the plan was much better in the manga and they accomplished more, it still wasn't enough.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Anyone else getting vibes that God has corrupted the Hero Association, just as much as He has with the other orgs (Tsukuyomi, the Organization, Monster Association)?

Cultivating monsters and selling them off to shady orgs just seems like a perfect part of God's ultimate plan

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Bucswabe posted:

Anyone else getting vibes that God has corrupted the Hero Association, just as much as He has with the other orgs (Tsukuyomi, the Organization, Monster Association)?

Cultivating monsters and selling them off to shady orgs just seems like a perfect part of God's ultimate plan

I dunno, is God capitalism?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the ultimate monster...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

The closest thing to an ultimate plan we've seen is "Get a nerd to touch geometry, juice'em up to kill all humans, profit?"

I don't think God needed to stuff his bank account or anything first before he made radiation death Garou.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Caidin posted:

The closest thing to an ultimate plan we've seen is "Get a nerd to touch geometry, juice'em up to kill all humans, profit?"

I don't think God needed to stuff his bank account or anything first before he made radiation death Garou.

Turns out God's operating on a gacha system and that's why the majority of monsters are trash. The Demons and Dragons are the equivalent of SR and SSR pulls.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Caidin posted:

I'm just thinking along the same lines as what God seemed to be doing with the Monster Association: do whatever it takes to manipulate people into making powerful monsters so that he can eventually be resurrected and destroy humanity.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fritzler posted:

I don’t think I agree. In the monster association arc the most responsible member was child emperor, a 10 year old. Lots of individually good people in the hero association but they cannot work together at all.

SpacePig posted:

Literally every thing that Saitama has saved people from has started by showing how ill-equipped the hero association is to deal with threats generally, and how hard it is to get S class heroes specifically to do anything.

In the monster association arc heroes of all ranks put aside their egos and work together to fight against a truly dire threat. Despite the monster being significantly more dangerous than expected -- to a nearly cataclysmic degree! -- the heroes none-the-less persevere and conquer the threat with minimum human casualties, civilian or otherwise.

This is not the behavior of an ill-equipped organization or one that "cannot work together at all." It's exactly the opposite.

GimmickMan posted:

For all of the manga's changes, I still think this part of it works. They created a monster that they explicitly could not stop in Garou, and it's unclear whether they could have actually won against the cadres if not for Garou and Saitama taking on a bunch of them by themselves.

This is true from our perspective as readers. The heroes who were present, and some of the upper brass, will also have varying levels of suspicion, but the current storyline hinges on this being commonly known and widely accepted. I don't buy that from the group that seemingly very visibly just saved the planet. Confidence should be at an all time high.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That I can agree on. I think Axxel pointing out that the everyday person is not as stupid as the association thinks they are, and the meeting room talk about how the propaganda with Tats is mostly to hold on to the support of the rich, helps to make the situation feel more natural. I view it as a problem that's been brewing under the surface since long before the events of the Garou saga, and is now coming to light precisely because the HA is coming home from a big victory but that alone is not enough to make up for all the disasters people have had to endure since the beginning of the comic.

It's an easy comparison to make, from my perspective, to various governments of the past plus-decade thinking they can get reelected simply by coasting by and keeping things from getting too much worse. Then they're surprised when people turn on them because voters actually want things to get better, especially when the status quo was already bad.

But yes, having said all of that, I agree that it is a bit of a swerve, and needs you to either take it at face value or to put more thought into it than is probably intended, to see it as a fully natural development.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This also didn't happen in a vacuum. Heroes couldn't stop a meteor from hitting a city. They couldn't stop Deep Sea King, and the dome the association built didn't protect them. They couldn't stop aliens from destroying a city, even if they stopped them from destroying the planet. And same with the monster association too, except worse this time. Trusting in individual heroes that they can see saving people is one thing, but trusting in the association is another. Especially when they just keep consolidating resources to protect themselves and their investors first.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Those guys are roller blades with hatchets. I feel like this deserves to be pointed out and it hasn't been yet. That's the elite monster hunter team.

What do they do if the monsters step off of the pavement??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
An entire city got wiped out and thats where the HA built their new HQ. From an objective POV the monsters are really a problem and the heroes cant shoulder much blame, but its easy to see through all of the crisis in the manga (especially when Saitama is the one who basically saved the day each time) that there could be some public sentiment against the HA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpacePig posted:

This also didn't happen in a vacuum. Heroes couldn't stop a meteor from hitting a city. They couldn't stop Deep Sea King, and the dome the association built didn't protect them. They couldn't stop aliens from destroying a city, even if they stopped them from destroying the planet. And same with the monster association too, except worse this time. Trusting in individual heroes that they can see saving people is one thing, but trusting in the association is another. Especially when they just keep consolidating resources to protect themselves and their investors first.

Heroes were nowhere to be seen when Vaccine Man struck, and nobody was around to stop the giant either.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Imagine telling someone to give up on saving some people because they can't save all people.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Heroes in this series are hard to criticize because non-heroes are so useless that they dont exist. Everyone in Japan is completely hosed and dead without the three dozen S class heroes that exist, I'm not sure how meaningful it is to say that they could be even better. Or to say the HA is ill-equipped to handle something like the monster association when it's a complete emergency and no one else can even get 1% as far as the HA has gotten. I get that a lot of the MA arc was premised on a VIP's kid being treated preferentially but a.) that was so ludicrous that it's hard to take seriously and b.) even if the HA has to make deals with the wealthy to get the support it does, who is that really a criticism of?

I'd be able to engage with HA critical stuff more seriously when they arent the only thing holding humanity back from extinction.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 4, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Heroes were nowhere to be seen when Vaccine Man struck, and nobody was around to stop the giant either.

Saitama instantly handled them as they arose in what would become uncharacteristic timeliness, though. VM only seemed to have time to wreck a street before getting splattered, Beefcake instantly blew up to several miles tall and only had time to stomp around a minute before also getting chunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

King took down both of those losers.