Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

edogawa rando posted:

Dark Descent just went pre-sale on Steam, everyone.

pre-ordering never made sense in the post physical media age.

are they going to run out of steam downloads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If you preorder anything you are a complete idiot. People (should) have known this since the 90s.

Hey! Buy our beta tested but not fully release-ready game for full price and you can get a custom skin for free!

No. Let the morons buy the stuff and completely flip out with anger on the day of release, as is tradition, and wait for the first patch or two.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If you preorder anything you are a complete idiot. People (should) have known this since the 90s.

Hey! Buy our beta tested but not fully release-ready game for full price and you can get a custom skin for free!

No. Let the morons buy the stuff and completely flip out with anger on the day of release, as is tradition, and wait for the first patch or two.

Yeah I really don't get it, especially now in the age of expansions and DLC being such a regular thing and there being a 100% chance that you can get all of that (i.e., the complete game) for a lot less later on.

Publishers use pre-orders to gauge how many copies of a thing to make but with digital releases like someone posted earlier they're not going to run out of steam ( :haw: ).

The only time pre-ordering was worth it was a long time ago when Best Buy briefly had a thing where if you bought a game on release it was $20 off, which was loving amazing for newly released GBA games.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus, sorry for mentioning that the latest Aliens game is available for purchase.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Open lines.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I was a bit hostile about that. Sorry. :)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Have you ever been mistaken for a famous Classical painting?

Yes, have you?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Marvel just put out a new comic book, Alien #1.

The story takes place 25 years after Hadley's Hope was overrun, with the curiously short description that 'all rescue attempts failed'

On an icy moon somewhere in space, on an isolated research base, a pregnant woman scientist is overseeing a project manned with a guy missing an arm (thinly veiled that he lost it in a Xenomorph incursion) and a young girl, and unbeknownst to them they seem to be drilling into a frozen lake full of Xenos.

The girl exhumes a facehugger, the armless fellow makes her put it in cold storage, the scientist reports the find to her corporation bosses, only to find days later a Weyland-Yutani battle cruiser landing on the planet with a Carter Burke-like character running the show, he strong-arms his way onto the base with the help of a contingent of W-Y mercenaries.

While the Burke-like dude is explaining that Weyland-Yutani bought out the corporation that established the research base, the young girl escapes and the first thing she does is free the facehugger being kept in cold storage..

The cover to the next issue..

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Marvel just put out a new comic book, Alien #1.

The story takes place 25 years after Hadley's Hope was overrun, with the curiously short description that 'all rescue attempts failed'

On an icy moon somewhere in space, on an isolated research base, a pregnant woman scientist is overseeing a project manned with a guy missing an arm (thinly veiled that he lost it in a Xenomorph incursion) and a young girl, and unbeknownst to them they seem to be drilling into a frozen lake full of Xenos.

The girl exhumes a facehugger, the armless fellow makes her put it in cold storage, the scientist reports the find to her corporation bosses, only to find days later a Weyland-Yutani battle cruiser landing on the planet with a Carter Burke-like character running the show, he strong-arms his way onto the base with the help of a contingent of W-Y mercenaries.

While the Burke-like dude is explaining that Weyland-Yutani bought out the corporation that established the research base, the young girl escapes and the first thing she does is free the facehugger being kept in cold storage..

Did they reboot the series or something? I read the first few issues of the series they did that came out like a year or two ago, and thought it was largely trash, though it did have some cool cover art at times.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think it's more of a continuation of that previous series in the sense that they namedrop Project Alpha..

If I remember that series that was the codename for the project to breed out Xenos as super soldiers or something.. all I remember about that series is that it was a lot of self-inserting by the artist making the main character look like sketches of himself posing in the mirror.. eesh

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

MadDogMike posted:

... OK, I'm seriously wondering if any horror comedies have used this one, because it seems like a gimme on reflection really.

I think the horror comedy move would be to have the alien find the guy due to the fart noise, then fall back clawing at it's nose when it gets within grabbing distance.

Also,

mllaneza posted:

This looks somewhat Alien-adjacent. It's a chapter from Bram Stoker's Dracula,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR2uDt3z0S0

Thank you very much for this, gonna have to go to a theater for the first time in years!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Binary Badger posted:

lmao, that’s ridiculous enough that it wraps back around to kinda cool. I hope it plays out like a slightly scarier Lilo & Stitch.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Did they reboot the series or something? I read the first few issues of the series they did that came out like a year or two ago, and thought it was largely trash, though it did have some cool cover art at times.

They do several issues of a plot line and then start again including re numbering.

It's a comics issue that's existed forever. Comics with big book counts are considered problematic, whereas rebooting with number ones are considered a more beneficial and profitable idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I was with you up until I saw you get a cat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

I was with you up until I saw you get a cat.

He was named Pennywise at the shelter so obviously I HAD to get him. And that was after they showed me a few other cats.

Penny reached out to me bitch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Quick review of issue #1 of the new series: not bad at all, W-Y is up to their classic shenanigans and some naive scientists are going to have a rude awakening.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

He was named Pennywise at the shelter so obviously I HAD to get him. And that was after they showed me a few other cats.

Nono. I meant I was with you on the preorder until I saw one of the bonuses was a spaceship cat.

You have badly misread my priorities.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh hey, someone pointed out the recent pic posted for Alien Day has an Isolation style Emergency phone save point in it. It be awesome if the new film had Seegson failbots or something, I love those creepy bastards.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Pay the cat tax.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Pay the Jonesy tax.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Nono. I meant I was with you on the preorder until I saw one of the bonuses was a spaceship cat.

You have badly misread my priorities.

I very much did drunkenly misread that.

Here's the tax:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I very much did drunkenly misread that.

Here's the tax:

That's a great fukken cat right there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LOOKIT THE KITTY

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I actually wanted to get an orange cat and name it Jonesy but Pennywise was just too cute.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I actually wanted to get an orange cat and name it Jonesy but Pennywise was just too cute.

This is why it's worth giving cats rarely used surnames too

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neo Rasa posted:

This is why it's worth giving cats rarely used surnames too

I'd imagine he has my surname on vet paperwork since I'm his owner.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, as weird as it is I don't think I've ever straight-up renamed a pet, they just get extra names. I got my boy at the Humane Society with the literal intention to get a black cat and call him Special Agent Dale Cooper. But he had a name already, which is Wiz, so I mostly just call him permutations of that like Weezy or Wizford or Wizzy-Bear.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I couldn't rename a pet that was older and had a well established name. The shelter named Penny and it was perfect so I just went with it of course. He was only 3 months old or so anyway so he probably wasn't too attached to it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A friend of mine got an orange kitten for his daughter a year or so ago and they named him Jonesy. I should take a picture the next time we visit. This is the friend I got rad Alien gifts for for a few years, such as little metal statues of the Alien and these amazing drawings of the Alien and the Predator done in the style of Haida artwork.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Hi Aliens thread, Amazon decided that I needed to see this thing, so now you get to see it, too

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Amazon was right.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I renamed my cat when I got her from the pound and lo and behold she answers to the name that gets called when it's time for food instead of the name the vets at the pound gave her. Maybe use food to reinforce the new name?
Unfortunately, she's not got an Aliens themed name so lost opportunity there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new aliens game but I might wait until release and a patch before I get it. It was fun seeing floating cars during cyberpunk's initial release though...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

chainchompz posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new aliens game but I might wait until release and a patch before I get it. It was fun seeing floating cars during cyberpunk's initial release though...

:same:

But I never preorder and never purchase on release. I don't understand why people would when we see literally hundreds and maybe thousands of games that are just trash on release.

Every... single... loving... time.

Big AAA game comes out, reviews are horrible because it doesn't work right, they patch it a week later, people get less angry at least, keep patching and people complain less and less until the ratings go up and then it's truly at a "release" level. Then I buy.... after it goes on sale because I don't pay full price for games either.

Don't pay full price to beta test people.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

at least you don't see them loving each other over for a microtransaction

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:same:

But I never preorder and never purchase on release. I don't understand why people would when we see literally hundreds and maybe thousands of games that are just trash on release.

Every... single... loving... time.

Big AAA game comes out, reviews are horrible because it doesn't work right, they patch it a week later, people get less angry at least, keep patching and people complain less and less until the ratings go up and then it's truly at a "release" level. Then I buy.... after it goes on sale because I don't pay full price for games either.

Don't pay full price to beta test people.

I preordered the Dead Space remake and that ended up being a goddamn masterpiece right out of the box, but that’s a huge outlier.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

I preordered the Dead Space remake and that ended up being a goddamn masterpiece right out of the box, but that’s a huge outlier.

Yeah. And what did you get for preordering it? What was the benefit as opposed to waiting?

In the GameStop days you'd get a physical bobblehead or something worthless.

What should make me want to give a game company money before I have the game?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah. And what did you get for preordering it? What was the benefit as opposed to waiting?

In the GameStop days you'd get a physical bobblehead or something worthless.

What should make me want to give a game company money before I have the game?

Oh I got the mega-crazy special edition that had a steelbook and a full-sized light-up wearable Isaac Clarke helmet and a lithograph and a bunch of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Oh I got the mega-crazy special edition that had a steelbook and a full-sized light-up wearable Isaac Clarke helmet and a lithograph and a bunch of other stuff.

Well poo poo. That's kinda cool.

I don't know what they do these days.