Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wind Waker was my first Zelda so Tetra being Zelda was a pretty big twist for me, but I guess if you’d played OoT before that it probably would’ve primed you for that reveal

The location of Wind Waker's ocean was a bit of a twist/surprise to people too, wasn't it?

Commander Keene posted:

I beat the game before I had enough money to unlock the final Great Fairy fountain, but also I was able to beat the game without max upgraded armor so I guess I didn't need it. :shrug:

I beat BotW without encountering the NPC you trade korok seeds to. Roads are for people afraid of climbing mountains and gliding halfway across Hyrule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, Divine Beast down! Was an interesting experience but didn't really feel like a classic dungeon. I hope I got all the treasures.

Now that I have Revali's Fury I think I'll try and find all the rest of the DLC stuff (I paid for it), including an early visit to Hyrule Castle, to get stuff and maybe memories before going for the other beasts.

There are no unique treasures in any Divine Beasts, some powerful weapons, but nothing unique (like armors or whatever).

Also if you find some cool weapons laying on the ground make a note on your map, and each blood moon they come back, so you can warp around and pick them up. Also it's worth keeping an elemental weapon of each type available to use a fast puzzle solver.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

There are no unique treasures in any Divine Beasts, some powerful weapons, but nothing unique (like armors or whatever).

Also if you find some cool weapons laying on the ground make a note on your map, and each blood moon they come back, so you can warp around and pick them up. Also it's worth keeping an elemental weapon of each type available to use a fast puzzle solver.

To add to this, if you see a shooting star at night, drop whatever the gently caress you are doing and go to the location where it landed asap. They are pretty rare and required for upgrading your armor.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FlapYoJacks posted:

To add to this, if you see a shooting star at night, drop whatever the gently caress you are doing and go to the location where it landed asap.

I've seen 2, but whenever I go to their location I find nothing and savescumming seems to undo the star...

Selane
May 19, 2006

I've seen 2, but whenever I go to their location I find nothing and savescumming seems to undo the star...
You have get there before sunrise, and if I recall correctly the game plays it pretty fast and loose with its definition of 'morning', I think the cutoff is like 4:30 am or some poo poo like that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FlapYoJacks posted:

To add to this, if you see a shooting star at night, drop whatever the gently caress you are doing and go to the location where it landed asap. They are pretty rare and required for upgrading your armor.

No

Do the item dupe glitch and make all the stars you need.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Don't glitch don't exploit just play the drat game it's perfect as is

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC they disappear at dawn and warping might also poof them?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

No

Do the item dupe glitch and make all the stars you need.

Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/02/random-this-new-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-duplication-glitch-works-with-korok-seeds

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

An Actual Princess posted:

Silver was the best one anyway

Crystal would have been the best Pokemon game ever made but it hosed up pretty bad by omitting Mareep and ensuring I'd never play it a second time, so it's Silver. Or Pokemon XD.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

That's it. It's super easy to do.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Do all the exploits and glitches, games are like toys where getting to open them up and learn how they work or even just break them can be a ton of fun on its own

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wonder if Nintendo must be seeing a lot of hardware sales in advance of Tears of the Kingdom, seeing news stories about transferring accounts between Switches and whatnot. And it's not like it's a holiday. OR IS IT.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Don't glitch don't exploit just play the drat game it's perfect as is

this. play with honor.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s for the mother day rush obvs

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder if Nintendo must be seeing a lot of hardware sales in advance of Tears of the Kingdom, seeing news stories about transferring accounts between Switches and whatnot. And it's not like it's a holiday. OR IS IT.

They sold the special Zelda switch so a bunch of nerds probably ‘upgraded’

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KingSlime posted:

Do all the exploits and glitches, games are like toys where getting to open them up and learn how they work or even just break them can be a ton of fun on its own

hmmm. no

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Curiosity and innovation can't be everyone's strong suit I suppose

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cheating can be fun. Yeah, I suggest doing things legit if possible, but if poo poo is too tedious, loving cheat and skip past it. Cheats also add new ways to play a game and can let you get creative.

Though obviously don't be a dick and cheat in multiplayer games, unless you're messing around with friends or whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I agree that messing around with bugs and cheats and such can be real fun, but IMO is generally best saved for after you've beaten the game normally.

And yeah, single-player games only.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I agree that messing around with bugs and cheats and such can be real fun, but IMO is generally best saved for after you've beaten the game normally.

A take I can get behind although in retrospect I've often over emphasized the importance of the "intended experience." With some games I'm definitely a bit more of a stickler about it but open world games or rpgs? I'm a bit more flexible there because your own experience defines those games a lot too

Case in point I think I'm way more excited about this game now that I went through the leaks. I feel like I'm getting in the right headspace for it

E: +1 to gently caress cheating in multiplayer games though because that circumvents the core experience entirely

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Aint no loving way am I gonna grind out the hundreds of arrows I NEED for my BOTW experience

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd argue it's based on the grade of the exploit. Some are even intended or left intentionally by the devs. Some can open up new techs and ways of playing (combos in SF2 for example). Others can ruin the fun by giving you everything.

Like, I abused the bowling minigame to buy the armors I wanted because it's something in the game and I didn't even as much as cheat as use a setup to get consistency, akin to how speedrunners do frame perfect stuff. But infinite ancestral mats and duping, as tempting as they are, could snowball into losing motivation for me.

That said cheating on games you've played to death just to see stuff break is incredibly fun. Also to skip mondless grinding.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Dead cells was only improved by an assist mode that lets you break the game in all sorts of ways just saying esp since the game is insanely popular with the hardcore get gud crowd

I haven't messed with it because my pride is too powerful rn but I'm glad it is there and people absolutely love the customization it adds to their purchase

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm all for Assist Modes and customization and I'm glad more games are going that route.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's also a difference between a developer-implemented assist mode and exploiting unintended bugs or just using Cheat Engine/a Gameshark or whatever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm not going to grind selling pumpkins or whatever for a million hours so I can buy a fake pair of pants in a single player game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

There's also a difference between a developer-implemented assist mode and exploiting unintended bugs or just using Cheat Engine/a Gameshark or whatever.

It's game assist, simply one implemented by the player rather than the dev! See: FF pixel remaster with the official turbo function ripped straight out of emulators. Cheaters have had access to this QoL feature since the 90s

Also clearly none of y'all had a game genie growing up. You've let me down.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

And yeah, single-player games only.

yeah i beat LttP today and then afterwards did the glitch where you beat it in five minutes. it was amusing but like. hollow w/ no feeling of accomplishment lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I generally play games like a normal person. I am normal

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Yeah I'm not going to grind selling pumpkins or whatever for a million hours so I can buy a fake pair of pants in a single player game.

No-ones forcing you to buy those pants. I get wanting to go back to games you've already completed to break them in fun and unexpected ways but I think it's really bad advice telling someone going through BotW the first time to clone shooting stars and get infinite money.

It's fine not being able to buy everything the first time you get to shops and you never need to. Having things to save up for is one of the reasons I enjoyed exploring the map because I'd be glad every time I found some decent ores, and the rarity of shooting stars and the resultant madcap rush to get them before they despawned, often into totally new areas of the map, were some of my best times with the game.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I generally play games like a normal person. I am normal

you use save states and action replay codes and are proud of it

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

The Game Genie was a coward's weapon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KingSlime posted:

It's game assist, simply one implemented by the player rather than the dev! See: FF pixel remaster with the official turbo function ripped straight out of emulators. Cheaters have had access to this QoL feature since the 90s

Also clearly none of y'all had a game genie growing up. You've let me down.
Speaking as someone who had a GG for his NES and SNES, and a Gameshark for his PS. I even still remember the infinite lives GG code for SMB3: SLXPLOVS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

the guy in this thread with 4 switches bought 90,000 more units “just in case”

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This will be the system seller that will make or break the worst selling console ever

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Boy that Eliminator Boat Duel game in the NES app sure has some boxart

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Cadence of Hyrule sale got me to buy the dlc and get back into it. Shadow Link seems to just be dark palette Link but having a good permadeath run so far. Lucked into an early spear and was able to upgrade it to obsidian for multiplier damage. Got 2 bosses down and found Deku Village which seems to be a cool mini adventure.

Music still rules.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just saw that some Star Wars games are on sale for May 4th. Tempted to pick up some of the older ports like Jedi Knight or Kotor for nostalgia's sake. Are they good technically or should they be avoided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
KOTOR1 aged lousy due to its wonky D&D ruleset. I felt like I was wrestling against the Switch version's UI a lot. Despite that, I had an easier time getting back into it undock mode on Switch vs the old mouse and keyboard at PC. I didnt beat it.

KOTOR2 sucks bc the writing is extremely cringe. Even if you like the author's really important deconstruction that Flash Gordon serials are bullshit (nice!), and that no good deed goes unpunished (wow!), avoid the Switch version and get it on PC. It's busted.

I still like KOTOR1.

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 4, 2023