Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm a fan of the hall of mirrors gaming sites that just copy and paste each others' content

You'll never escape this gaming fun house!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I'm a fan of the hall of mirrors gaming sites that just copy and paste each others' content

You'll never escape this gaming fun house!!

please look forwards to AI triplicating this phenomenon because, if we dwell not in hell, then at least an incredible simulation of it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shinjobi posted:

In terms of lovely gaming websites I think there are definitely worse than Kotaku but on the other hand I see no reason to give a poo poo that they're blacklisted.

I do not like bashing on Kotaku much but you can not deny that all its best people have left.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

please look forwards to AI triplicating this phenomenon because, if we dwell not in hell, then at least an incredible simulation of it

Yeah I am already dreading not only AI sites drowning out actual human-generated information but the second wave when all the AI text is trained from a corpus of mostly AI text

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not like bashing on Kotaku much but you can not deny that all its best people have left.

:agreed:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Kerrzhe posted:

it's that time again -- that's right it's korean mmo time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1KE7mIRDE

every time i see these pop up i'm reminded of the Bless Online manic hype train of the starving mmo community and the immediate falling out cause the game was actually just that bad

thank god we have FFXIV now to keep us sane

I thought this was some kind of Chrono Trigger tie-in game for a hot minute

The bullet time stuff could be cool if they implement it Max Payne 3 style where it affects everyone in view of the user (and anyone in view of someone slowing down).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gaming websites are doomed to be terrible, for the same reason most journalism is pretty rotten. Fundamentally having to rely on making money to produce content and exist poisons the well. They can't post articles like "this company is doing some dogshit you shouldn't put up with" while also trying to get advertising money from those companies and draw in viewers who want to hear what they already decided to feel.

Review sites could go away tonight and I don't think it'd affect consumers at all. You don't need an arbitrary number and article to figure out if you'd enjoy playing any given game or not. The only people even reading that poo poo are the thirstiest nerds who watch every trailer and just hoovering yo anything vaguely related to the game in their ramping anticipation.

We really don't actually need a business shorting writers under weird obligations playing pre-release versions of games under a deadline to tell us how good or bad a game is.

Even if you absolutely must play a game day 1 you can wait a few minutes after launch and start seeing exactly what the game would be like if you started playing it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My new PC has BSOD'ed on me a few times now, but Windows 11 Event Viewer isn't giving any useful information that I can find that might explain why it is occurring. :/

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda wish getting health/stamina upgrades in Breath of the Wild had minor boosts to base attack/defense. The whole idea is that Link is getting his groove back after already doing the legendary chosen hero stuff 100+ years ago as opposed to nearly other Link being some kid/teen thrust into greatness with a crappy sword, so it would fit into the idea that you’re already for real and just forgot.

Also I really like the (back)story of this game, there’s not extensive preamble to get to the meat of the game and having the backstory that builds up to the Calamity be “what if Link was a super cool and rad champion, like the best to ever do it, and Zelda poured her heart and soul into being the classic Zelda and just couldn’t do it (until everything was already kinda hosed)” is kind of unconventional just for a game period, let alone Nintendo of all things. The only bummer is that I wanted a game where I could hang out more with my cool bros Urbosa and Daruk but I guess they literally made a game for that!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

My new PC has BSOD'ed on me a few times now, but Windows 11 Event Viewer isn't giving any useful information that I can find that might explain why it is occurring. :/

The pc building thread is a good resource for that kind of troubleshooting, if you’re not already posting there. Lots of helpful goons.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Jay Rust posted:

The most disheartening thing a pc gamer can experience is your rig loving up and you not knowing why. Last time for me it was the RAM sticks weren’t fully slotted in but it took a Friday night and a Saturday to find that out

My last PC build I didn’t plug the SSD all the way in to power and could not figure out why it wasn’t showing up as an install option. Good times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One time I couldn't get my new PC build to work so I left it with my stepdad where it sat for months mostly bc I couldn't come pick it up. When I could he got to work but all he did was hook it up to his monitor and plug it in to test it and it worked fine, he installed windows lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1622800/Super_Dungeon_Maker/

Holy crap someone beat Nintendo to Zelda Maker

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep, this is what I wanted more so than Mario Maker.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nintendo did make a Zelda Maker as part of the Link's Awakening remake, it just was terrible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Making fun Zelda levels is a million times harder than fun Mario levels. Half of what makes them good is designing items and stuff for a dungeon to be based around. Seems like limited mileage rearranging parts

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The reason I dont care about a Zelda maker is the reason I dont care about the Mega Man maker. half the fun of playing through the games is fighting the goofball bosses unique to each level

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Really. I find the bosses the least interesting things about Zelda games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The bosses in Oracle of Seasons were mostly cool for feeling like slugfests and not just glorified puzzles that hit back, but given those bosses were all from the first game I guess that’s not a great example.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I think I figured out the issue with my PC, the motherboard has zero support for the 7800x3D out of the box. A BIOs update is necessary otherwise stability is rock bottom and your PC will crash if you so much as blink. Everything looks to be stable now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I found a super sick new bow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

let me tell you the depths of my sickness: i legitimately cannot play the SF6 demo because i cannot figure out how to rebind the attack keys to mouse buttons

not using the mouse to hit attack buttons just feels loving weird man!! i can't do it!!!!!!!!!

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I found a super sick new bow

there's a lot of cool older weapon models hanging around that you don't tend to run across, like the level 44 maelstrom axe that does this cool foldout animation whenever you unsheathe it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Upgraded my PC a couple days ago and it runs great. It owns to put everything on Ultra or "epic" and get ridiculous frame rates after years of barely scraping by on medium settings.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Vermain posted:

let me tell you the depths of my sickness: i legitimately cannot play the SF6 demo because i cannot figure out how to rebind the attack keys to mouse buttons

not using the mouse to hit attack buttons just feels loving weird man!! i can't do it!!!!!!!!!

:mods:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

i had to deal with this with guilty gear strive, that game (and apparently most fighting games) don't let you use the mouse at all for anything. the only other one i've played that did let me use mouse buttons to attack was Multiversus.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

somethingawful is the only place I visit for gaming related poo poo. Everything else kinda seriously sucks poo poo.

I tried for quite a bit to discuss Pokemon with Pokemon fans in dedicated spaces for Pokemon. this is on me and it was an absolutely wretched idea. just constant hostility. this is where I ended up for the Scarlet and Violet games bc it is the most chill.

my second most chill experience with Pokemon communities was the Gen 7 PkHex scene on Tumblr.

wtf.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

Okay I think I figured out the issue with my PC, the motherboard has zero support for the 7800x3D out of the box. A BIOs update is necessary otherwise stability is rock bottom and your PC will crash if you so much as blink. Everything looks to be stable now.

Nice CPU.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Latest WoW patch brokeimproved a cosmetic
https://i.imgur.com/SAZrilR.mp4

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Vermain posted:

hey it's fine, this is a safe space and your control scheme is totally valid [slamming silent alarm button under my desk frantically]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i am sorely tempted now to master SF6 on kb+m so i can go to EVO with a folding table and drive the commentators to the brink of insanity

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Infinitum posted:

Latest WoW patch brokeimproved a cosmetic
https://i.imgur.com/SAZrilR.mp4

The most recent patch in Warframe introduced horses. If you mount the horse at the same time you hit emote you turn into an Eldritch nightmare horse-human hybrid.

https://v.redd.it/sikamgua2awa1

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I cannot play FPS with a controller properly.
I cannot play platformers with a kbm properly.

I also cannot use an xbox controller properly or the switch default joycons because of the placement of the buttons/sticks and the dpad on the switch.

Dualshock4, WiiU pro controller + 8bitdo adapter, and steam deck are my favourite controllers.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I played pretty much every SNES game via emulation with a keyboard back in the days before you could just plug in an Xbox controller. I got pretty good at doing hadokens and dragon punches with the arrow keys.
These days however, I even play most fps games with a controller. They're usually designed around that anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

i am sorely tempted now to master SF6 on kb+m so i can go to EVO with a folding table and drive the commentators to the brink of insanity

I believe the Capcom pro tour is forbidding keyboards except for PC events lol

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 4, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I cannot play FPS with a controller properly.

I mean you were pretty good with it when we played Deathloop?

Pretty much the first FPS console game where I had no problems with using a controller either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I mean you were pretty good with it when we played Deathloop?

Pretty much the first FPS console game where I had no problems with using a controller either.

Well, I felt I was ok at it. I have pretty high standards for myself and when I got Deathloop for the PC in a humble bumble I felt way more in control and blitzed through the game.

I am much, much better and feel more confident when I have the KBM - probably thanks to my tens of thousands of hours in TF2 and Quake 2. :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Was it here where we were discussing cheat detection from people using pass through devices on consoles to remap game controllers via a kbm setup?
So they were effectively playing console FPS with a kbm, with the added benefit of a console games aim assist.

Cause yeah KBM+FPS is the only way to 'properly' play and have that full control

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Propaganda Hour posted:

The most recent patch in Warframe introduced horses. If you mount the horse at the same time you hit emote you turn into an Eldritch nightmare horse-human hybrid.

https://v.redd.it/sikamgua2awa1
this is the sort of thing that either should be patched and also added as a secret silly thing you can get somehow, or left as is.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wizard2 posted:

I tried for quite a bit to discuss Pokemon with Pokemon fans in dedicated spaces for Pokemon. this is on me and it was an absolutely wretched idea. just constant hostility. this is where I ended up for the Scarlet and Violet games bc it is the most chill.

my second most chill experience with Pokemon communities was the Gen 7 PkHex scene on Tumblr.

wtf.

The worst part of any media is the fans. This place is pretty chill all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have finished Riven, and I believe that it is good. If it had some method of highlighting everything that you could interact with it would be great. Outside of that frustration it's a very satisfying sequel that ties everything up pretty neatly.